Author Topic: The Mega 2017 Opeth Survivor  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
The Mega 2017 Opeth Survivor
« on: February 24, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
OK so I love Opeth to death and even though this is a Dream Theater forum, I only quite a few people here like Opeth so I thought it'd be interesting and fun to try this out.

Now before I explain, I will answer some questions that people might have questions about.

Question 1: Umm, the Opeth Survivor barely finished. And you are running a Symphony X Survivor..... Shouldn't you wait until you finish SX and wait until it's been an actual year?

Answer: Yes, I'm aware that it hasn't been an year yet and I'm running a SX survivor, and I won't start the album and song survivor until an actual year has passed. I will think of ideas and will post them here. I will be running other types of polls of Opeth here...Not the ones I've completed.

Question 2: What kind of ideas do you have?

Answer: Well it isn't complete, but some ideas are:
A. Lineup
B. Best drum/guitar/piano/bass/vocal album
C. Intro's/Outro's
D. Solo's
E. Acoustic Passages
And more!

Question 3: Can you handle 2 survivors at once?

Answer: I will admit that I did some survivors then gave up like ELP and my roulette, but I complete things I'm passionate about and Opeth is one of them. I will very well be able to handle them because there will be only two polls I will do for each band and once SX finishes up, then Opeth's will increase.

Question 4: When will you start?

Probably tomorrow from the day I'm writing this (2/24/17 PST time). I know it hasn't been an year, but I won't do an album/song survivor just yet. I will be doing something else.

And for guitar solo's, intro's, outros, acoustic passages, etc....I will run them with each album, but for lineups and best drum/guitar/key/bass/vocal albums, I will run them earlier.

So, I will add more deets later here....

Now, a few questions for everyone out there.

1. Who's willing to participate? You'll have to know Opeth pretty much in and out to do some of them. If there aren't enough, I will make it less complicated. :lol

2. What albums can you participate from and to?

3. Any suggestions other than the ones suggested?

And remember, I know that this is a Dream Theater forum, but I love Opeth so much I'd thought it'd be fun and interesting to try this out so if anyone has any complaints that I'm going overboard, feel free to share, but please don't judge me. I love Opeth very much.

So, how is it?

And on the top of my head, I know these individuals who participated from start to end.

?, Elite, Scorpion, Chuck Steak, Mladen, Destiny of Chaos,

So there is already 7 including me. If you guys are interested and more join, I think we can do this.

What rounds I have so far (not in order):

1. Favorite album
2. Favorite song from each album (Orchid-Sorceress)
3. Favorite live album
4. Favorite guitar/piano/bass/drum/vocal/lyrical album
5. Favorite Guitar unison
6. Favorite Keyboard/Guitar unison
7. Favorite Guitar solo
8. Favorite Song introduction/outro
9. Favorite Acoustic passages
10. Favorite Line up
11. Favorite clean vocal moment
12. Favorite harsh vocal moment
13. Favorite instrumentals
14. Favorite album artworks

-MORE TO COME!-
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:09:38 PM by Scar »
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mega 2017 Opeth Survivor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:03:12 PM »
I own the first 9 albums...but don't care for Orchid Morningrise or Heritage....at all. Haven't liked what I heard from the last two.....but I love everything in between....so I'll partake in anything involving that music.

As far as doing this so soon after the previous Opeth survivor....don't worry about it. If people are having fun, that's all that matters.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:17:24 PM »
I own the first 9 albums...but don't care for Orchid Morningrise or Heritage....at all. Haven't liked what I heard from the last two.....but I love everything in between....so I'll partake in anything involving that music.

As far as doing this so soon after the previous Opeth survivor....don't worry about it. If people are having fun, that's all that matters.

Awesome! Sounds fair. :) Glad to have you on board for My Arms-Watershed. Every vote counts.

And thank you. TBH, when I ran that first Opeth survivor, I wasn't engrossed in them like I am now. I have more knowledge of the songs so it's gonna be fun. Very fun. :angel:
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:40:55 PM »
Added question 3 and 4 to the OP.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 02:27:15 AM »
In this monent, I don't think I'd be able to rank everything on every album but this could be a great chance to relisten some of the albums :tup and then I'll probably participate in everything.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
In this monent, I don't think I'd be able to rank everything on every album but this could be a great chance to relisten some of the albums :tup and then I'll probably participate in everything.

Awesome! I might start today, but it won't require you to go in depth to the songs.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Re: The Ultimate 2017 Opeth Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »
The Ultimate Opeth Survivor Results!!

Favorite Opeth Line Up

1. Watershed - Heritage (Akerfeldt, Åkesson, Wiberg, Mendez, Axenrot)
2. Ghost Reveries (Akerfeldt, Lindgren, Lopez, Mendez, Wiberg)
3. Pale Communion - Sorceress (Akerfeldt, Åkesson, Svalberg, Mendez, Axenrot) - 5
4. Still Life - Damnation (Akerfeldt, Lindgren, Lopez, Mendez)
5. Orchid - Morningrise (Akerfeldt, Lindgren, Nordin, De Farfalla)
6. My Arms Your Hearse (Akerfeldt, Lindgren, Lopez)

Favorite Opeth Album Artwork

8. Still Life
9. My Arms Your Hearse
10. Pale Communion
11. Orchid
12. Heritage

The Mega 2017 Opeth Survivor - Best Vocal Album
9. Heritage
10. Sorceress
11. Morningrise
12. Orchid
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:48:41 PM by Scar »
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 11:02:27 PM »
I don't see the need for another Opeth survivor so soon after the last one, but since you've already started, I might as well participate. :)

Btw, what happened to the discography thread?

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 11:14:02 PM »
I don't see the need for another Opeth survivor so soon after the last one, but since you've already started, I might as well participate. :)

Btw, what happened to the discography thread?

Ah, for the album and song survivor, I will start after the SX survivor finishes or after an year has passed. :)
And thanks!

And the discog. thread? Well it died pretty quickly so....yeah.
-Charles Caleb Colton