Author Topic: Are you afraid of heights?  (Read 8996 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Are you afraid of heights?
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
I've realised that with age i've become more and more sensitive to the feeling of heights, i'm not sure why. Like for example walking in stairs that goes around a hole in the middle can make me uncomfortable to the point I feel the need to press myself to the wall. I remember as a kid visiting  The Eiffel Tower and the only thing I felt was excitement for being high up and seeing so far away. Nowdays I would probably not even go up I think. I don't know, it's like I don't trust myself to not slip and fall over the fence. Not that i'm particularly clumsy or anything it's just all up in my head.

Anyway I stumbled upon this dude today and his videos makes me so uncomfortable yet fascinated at the same time. Not so much the extreme heights or danger but more his attitude to what he does, he seems to be totally disconnected to any fear over what he does or what his girlfriend are doing. It's all about trusting yourself 110% or else you're going to die and that's what he does which impress me alot but scares me at the same time.

https://youtu.be/nj2K38Xxjh4
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Are you afraid of heights?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:54 PM »
Let't just say, I am not wild about them. :lol :lol

The last time I was in Chicago, when we were in front of a really tall building downtown (not Sears), just looking up it was something I couldn't do.  That is almost freakier than being up high and looking down.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
I do find them unsettling at times, but when I was at the Grand Canyon, I kept climbing out onto ledges and going well beyond any of the railings and barriers, so I guess I can't be too afraid.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
But yes, I am actually afraid of heights.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »
I don't even get high anymore I'm so afraid of heights.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »
I'm afraid of heights in situations where it'd be easy for me to fall. I know that sounds like a "no shit" thing but it's compounded to where even if I'm on a ladder I get a bit anxious simply because...well, it's fucking easy to fall on those DEATH TRAPS they call ladders; or yes, standing next to the ledge of a very high building when its windy, or perhaps in a situation where something could go wrong, like a farris wheel or roller coaster, though I have no problem admitting that's mostly paranoia and my mind getting to me. But I'm totally fine looking out of a window of an elevator or flying in a plane, the "normal" situations that people are accustomed to. Which leads me to...

I really doubt that it's all about "trusting yourself 100%" though. Conditioning and desensitization almost certainly has much more of a factor than just "yeah I got this bruh". Dangle any random person over a ledge and they're going to piss their pants, I don't care how much you tell me you're totally cool with heights. But being up in high places with no restraints every single day and it undoubtedly becomes just another aspect of life. To me, that's a bit of trust and a whole lot of conditioning, which undoubtedly leads to delusion/illusion of safety/confidence. Not to say that this delusion is a bad thing...you're just as likely to inadvertently "make" yourself fall out of sheer fear, but complacency at that height isn't really great either.

Basically fuck that shit. Yes. That's what I was getting at. Fuck. That. Shiiiiiiiiit.  :lol

It's always interesting to see people talk about him dying in the videos. Some are written as if they almost want him to and others say it as "if i watch this I contribute to it". Of course he's more than likely going to die doing this. That's like watching a bunch of actual videos of soldiers and saying "I wonder if any of these men will die!?". But maybe he won't, and until he does, he's awesome (or such is the mindset of the majority of society towards these daredevil videos and Gopro addicted extremists). It's just a little sad and horribly morbid that when he probably does fall, it'll immediately shift the atmosphere and paradigm from "this is cool" to "what a shame that he did this". It's a little weird sect of human psychology that is so dense and stupid...especially when you consider in the time he's climbing, so many people have died in car wrecks.

BUT TILL THEN  :corn :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
Re: But yes, I am actually afraid of heights.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:08:13 AM »
I don't even get high anymore I'm so afraid of heights.
:lol

But I'm totally fine looking out of a window of an elevator or flying in a plane, the "normal" situations that people are accustomed to. Which leads me to...
Yea it's interesting because flying and looking down a window I have no problem with, I think that's because you lose perspective on how high up you really are to the point it becomes abstract.

I really doubt that it's all about "trusting yourself 100%" though. Conditioning and desensitization almost certainly has much more of a factor than just "yeah I got this bruh".
That's true, he definitely have been doing it alot so he's desensitize to those fears. I can kind of relate with the thought of being so in control that it feels easy, like playing infront of an audience. After you done it for years it becomes natural.
The big diffrence of course is if you do a mistake or you blackout on stage you will not die, atleast in most situations.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline krands85

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 03:33:40 AM »
Not at all. I love crazy rollercoasters/water park slides, have done a tandem skydive and would love to do a bungee jump and canyon swing. That being said, I think those people who video themselves leaping about on narrow ledges on top of high rise buildings are crazy and I would never do anything like that  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
Heights? Pshhhh.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 06:47:44 AM »
Historically no. I've always been the daredevil sort to where I would climb the tallest tree and so on. There was a period of time in high school where me and a buddy would free climb rock walls....not 5000 foot tall mountains but bluff walls where if you fell you'd certainly be maimed pretty bad or dead. In fact, I think back on a couple of those climbs and question my decision making but then realize I was a 16/17 year old male adolescent that thought he was bullet proof.

My now wife and I were hiking a trail down in the Ozarks back when we had just gotten engaged...i was 27.....and it was a pretty rugged terrain and at one point I found myself climbing a bluff wall of sorts. She had stayed below as I scurried around this cliff face, probably trying to show off a bit.....and I reached a point to where there was a rock pillar of sorts standing alone across a gap of about four or five foot from where i found myself at the edge of this shelf I was standing on. I would estimate I was 20, maybe 30 foot off the ground and it was more or less straight up and down with nothing filling in that gap. Well, I felt the need to jump across that gap so that I could stand perched atop that pillar....it'd have been a cool position to find myself in. I geared up to jump....squatted and summoned the energy to do so and just before I committed to jumping I suppose my wife figured out what I was about to do and from below she shouted my name in a corrective tone....."GARY!!!" and I suddenly just stopped and ultimately climbed down. Once I got back to her she asked me what the heck I was thinking....I told her I wanted to jump out to that pillar.....and she basically gave me my first lesson in marriage....she said, well....this isn't all about you now. We're making decisions together for our lives. Talk about a sobering moment for me.

Nowdays, I rarely put myself in a situation where I'm experiencing 'dangerous' heights. There are instances on some hikes I've been on where the trail is precarious and one wrong move could send you on quite a tumble....but as far as being 'afraid' of heights....nope.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 07:30:11 AM »
For me, it's weird.  I get scared over, say, 10 feet, especially on ladders, but it goes away the higher I go.   I get no vertigo in high buildings, or in planes.  I lived on the 24th floor in  Philly and would sit on the balcony and lean over the railing all the time. 

Having said that, though, the only recurring nightmare I've ever had in my life is me climbing a set of stairs with no railings high in the sky.  I'm on a step that is 2 feet wide and 6 inches deep going up and up, like an Escher drawing, in the blue sky and clouds, and I am TERRIFIED.   Thankfully haven't had it in a while. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
For me, it's weird.  I get scared over, say, 10 feet, especially on ladders, but it goes away the higher I go.   I get no vertigo in high buildings, or in planes.  I lived on the 24th floor in  Philly and would sit on the balcony and lean over the railing all the time. 

I can't do ladders. I'm good until I get about 5 feet off the ground and then I'm too chicken shit to keep climbing. I'll happily go to the edge of the Grand Canyon, hop on a plane, or hang out on the 102nd floor of the Empire State building.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 07:55:19 AM »
For me, it's weird.  I get scared over, say, 10 feet, especially on ladders, but it goes away the higher I go.   I get no vertigo in high buildings, or in planes. 
This is kind of me, as well.  I'm OK in planes and in high buildings.  I like hiking at Grandfather Mountain, and meandering all over the top of the mountain.

But I loathe roller coasters and assorted other vomit rides.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »

I can't do ladders. I'm good until I get about 5 feet off the ground and then I'm too chicken shit to keep climbing. I'll happily go to the edge of the Grand Canyon, hop on a plane, or hang out on the 102nd floor of the Empire State building. Sleep on a balcony railing.
Fixed for accuracy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
I'm closest to Uncle George. Heights don't bother me so long as I'm in some way secure. Planes, towers, roller coasters, whatnot don't bother me at all. A roof, even a simple 2 story one, will if the flashing isn't high enough.

Also, that video gave me a gnarly Tim Treadwell vibe. She had the same look as Amie Huguenard, as in she was there for him rather than because it's something she enjoyed. I hope he doesn't get that young lady killed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »

I can't do ladders. I'm good until I get about 5 feet off the ground and then I'm too chicken shit to keep climbing. I'll happily go to the edge of the Grand Canyon, hop on a plane, or hang out on the 102nd floor of the Empire State building. Sleep on a balcony railing.
Fixed for accuracy.

:rollin

Even though it was a harrowing event that could've ended badly, I'm not sure Chino is ever going to live that down.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
Up on ladders and high up on buildings (outside) yes. But I'm fine as a passenger in a plane, or, as I discovered last year, flying a plane myself. Always wanted to be a pilot. Cool opportunity. And I surprised myself by being absolutely fine with it. But put me on a ladder to change a light bulb on our vaulted ceiling? Cold sweats the whole time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
I would say no, but I do not at all like the feeling in your stomach when you drop from high heights and hence my reason for not liking roller coasters or bad turbulence on a plane.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
I can't watch those stupid Russian daredevil videos. They make my legs hurt. Dunno why legs but whatevs.

I can't deal.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »

Fixed for accuracy.

Even though it was a harrowing event that could've ended badly, I'm not sure Chino is ever going to live that down.
And being fond of the guy I don't generally give him shit about it, but I'm also not one to let opportunity pass me by.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
I'm not bothered by heights at all except if it's on a ladder, I don't like ladders.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »

Fixed for accuracy.

And being fond of the guy I don't generally give him shit about it, but I'm also not one to let opportunity pass me by.

Appreciates  :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 02:02:26 PM »
And instead "could've ended badly" I should've said "could've ended worse".

Offline Cable

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »
It depends. Generally, I always used to say no. Being on a tall extension ladder, in the "death zone" (10 ft or higher?), fear enters my mind. Them being flexible does not help; A-frame ladders don't bother me one bit. Being on top of a tall roof or tall building in the open air, looking down, nope.

Rock climbing has added a little more fear as I have done it more, which is maybe a good thing. It makes me appreciate what is going on, and the importance of each step, each hold and so on. Each change in the type has also added a new level of fear, as each one I have advanced to is more risky.

I would say all in all, no. Do I have a fear of falling, sure. But i'm not paralyzed when I'm up higher, I just may take more time and think more carefully. Plus to me, the fear makes it fun and exhilarating. Going on big amusement park rides never really registered fear of heights exactly, but some minor fears of other stuff. The more I rode, the more those minor fears left. And then the less fun big rides became. Talking a bit on thrill seeking, it's also a slope of diminishing returns, which can be scary as then it could be addicting if the height activity has more risk. Each conquered risk increases the likelihood of trying some bigger, or riskier.

With this video and the two of them, I would say they are asking for it. Watching free solo rock climbers (no ropes), they will die eventually if a minor thing goes wrong. What if a loud noise startled these two? What if moisture or a slick substance is on one of the beams or poles, and their grip fails? Animal interference? So on and so forth. Crap doesn't happen like it does in the movies and video games; people cannot easily pull themselves up with one hand. Rock climbing for example is overwhelmingly driven by legs.
---

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 02:49:50 AM »
Interesting that alot of you have a certain fear of ladders a few meters up but being on a tall building high up is not that bad.
I think in some cases it's not the height that scares you but the actual ladder and the fact that it's all on you to not take a mistep or slip with your hands. Climbing ladders or rock climbing is such a raw test for your mind and ability to be in control and focused enough to not make a mistake.

I think balance and focus is a big factor on feeling secure when it comes to heights.
I remember a few years ago I was helping my parents painting their house.  My father had rented a scaffold that was maybe 4-5 meters up so we could reach all the way up. Even though it was secured to the ground the damn thing was wobbly which freaked me out but in truth it felt more wobbly than it actually was, you couldn't tip it over even if you wanted to. Once I focused on my balance it became much easier and I could ignore the height.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »
I do not do well with heights.  Even climbing on my roof and it's a small ranch is scary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 01:36:10 PM »
I have a fear of falling, not heights. A tall building or flying I am fine with. A ladder? I crap myself.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
I have a fear of falling, not heights. A tall building or flying I am fine with. A ladder? I crap myself.

This entirely.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »
Just the wuthering kind.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
Just the wuthering kind.

I swear, you deserve a big medal.

I'm not afraid of heights, I love them! Whenever I look down from an extremely high place, I get this extremely strange and twisted feeling in my gut. It gives me real pleasure, though I've been creeped out by it.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »
I love heights. The only time I'm somewhat uncomfortable in high places is if it's extremely windy. Normally though, I'm far more at home up in the sky than I am on the ground.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »
My palms just get sweety watching Alex Honnold freeclimb. He's one of a kind and it's easy to label him crazy but he's fascinating on so many levels.
It's so crazy seeing him holding his whole bodyweight with a couple of fingers knowing that if he slips or a rock gets lose he falls to his death.

https://youtu.be/Phl82D57P58

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »
I'm not afraid of heights; I'm afraid of widths.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
My palms just get sweety watching Alex Honnold freeclimb. He's one of a kind and it's easy to label him crazy but he's fascinating on so many levels.
It's so crazy seeing him holding his whole bodyweight with a couple of fingers knowing that if he slips or a rock gets lose he falls to his death.

https://youtu.be/Phl82D57P58

Yeah, I learned about him recently as I was contemplating climbing Half Dome (the dome side).  I was shocked to learn that he solo free-climbed the face.  It didn't even enter into my mind that that might be possible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2018, 11:19:33 AM »
I am deathly afraid of heights. But not when I'm in a plane (or at the controls of one). It's more when I am standing high up and look down. Even on the roof of my house, or changing a light bulb 15 feet up on an extended ladder. It's weird. Palms just got sweaty thinking about it.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
For me it's weird. I experience being afraid when looking down from a ledge or the sorts however that doesn't constrain me from doing climbing or mountain hiking.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.