Author Topic: Can't Believe They Closed Down the IMDB Forums  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Can't Believe They Closed Down the IMDB Forums
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »
Sure there were a lot of stupid arguments and trolls on there but I've had many laughs in the RoboCop, Boogie Nights, and The Fly forums. I loved talking about those movies with my fellow nerds.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Can't Believe They Closed Down the IMDB Forums
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:57:38 PM »
Yea, I used to go there for extra trivia or info that would otherwise be hard to find.

Ah well. No tears shed to be honest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:33:11 PM »
What? That blows.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 01:37:01 AM »
Had no idea, never really used the forums though. The main site is awesome though. We have enough nerds here to spark interesting conversations if that's a comfort. For your own safety, don't mention Avatar though. You might get Chino:d.  :P
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:29:02 AM »
I was always irritated and/or annoyed within minutes of going on there, so I agree with this:

No tears shed to be honest.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:16:24 AM »
I saw them as a useful way to reflect more on the movie, to have a better understanding of it reading the various opinions of people. Never registered so the trolling wasn't an issue, I would simply skip over the useless posts.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:57:22 AM »
No matter what film you were looking at - the posts were always

LOL THIS IS THE WORST FILM EVER MADE

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
Entirely self-inflicted from what I understand. They had this horrible sorting algorithm that bumped up purely based on replies, and so for months threads like "Shawshank Redemption worst movie ever, stupid n***er in main role" was at the top, because people took the bait and kept replying.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline krands85

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 06:36:35 AM »
I saw them as a useful way to reflect more on the movie, to have a better understanding of it reading the various opinions of people. Never registered so the trolling wasn't an issue, I would simply skip over the useless posts.
Same here. It's one thing closing them to new posts, but to completely wipe them as well is a bit annoying. Surely they could have left old posts up as read-only.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »
A lot of good trivia on there, particularly about the actors. Or sometimes raising interesting questions a show or movie didn't address.

Also saw the greatest troll ever on there a few years back, blasting the film Johnny Got his Gun as a blatant ripoff of a Metallica video.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
Had no idea, never really used the forums though. The main site is awesome though. We have enough nerds here to spark interesting conversations if that's a comfort. For your own safety, don't mention Avatar though. You might get Chino:d.  :P

It's funny. I saw Avatar when it came out in 3D. First movie I ever saw in 3D. I was really impressed by it and enjoyed it very much. I haven't seen it since and I've no desire to watch it again. I'll watch the sequel if it ever comes out though.

Yeah I liked going there after watching a movie or TV season/series. I just finished the new Westworld and I'd love to hear all the theories people have about it. I guess I'll have to register for a Reddit account? It seems like the next best thing to IMDB forums.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »
Also saw the greatest troll ever on there a few years back, blasting the film Johnny Got his Gun as a blatant ripoff of a Metallica video.

I didn't even know IMDB Forums existed, but damn, I wish I'd seen this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »
I used to visit them once in a while, to see interesting chatter about a movie or show I had just seen. 

Can't say I am surprised, though.  Message boards in general are slowly dying off.  Even the traffic on here seems not nearly what it used to be, largely because I think more people now just go to social media instead of wasting time with message boards.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:15 AM »
Can't say I am surprised, though.  Message boards in general are slowly dying off.  Even the traffic on here seems not nearly what it used to be, largely because I think more people now just go to social media instead of wasting time with message boards.

True. I'm definitely more active in various FB groups nowadays than on traditional message boards like DTF (sorry DTF!).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:58:41 PM »
I used to visit them once in a while, to see interesting chatter about a movie or show I had just seen. 

All the fun people have been banned

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 05:34:15 PM »
A lot of good trivia on there, particularly about the actors. Or sometimes raising interesting questions a show or movie didn't address.

Agreed 100% on the first part. Sucks because I read through the discussions of ALL my favorite movies and actors.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 12:14:47 AM »
After that clusterfuck at the very end of the Oscars, I'm sure IMDb would be lit up right about now.
Brave
Murder
Day