Poll

How do you feel about Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman?

I LOVE them
22 (71%)
I LIKE them
5 (16.1%)
I like only one of them
1 (3.2%)
I don't like them
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: How do you feel about the first two Ozzy albums (featuring Randy Rhoads)?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Where's the 'Kevin Moore' option?

I've only heard 'Crazy Train' (10000x too much at sporting events)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Daisley's payout wasn't really a choice. Sharon essentially said, "We're so tied up in legal shit right now we can't give you royalties but we will give you a $50k payout. Things were getting a bit shady with Uriah Heep at the time so Daisley took the deal (with Kerslake's encouragement). Also, on the first released of Ultimate Sin, only Jake and Ozzy were credited. Bob protested and they had it corrected it for the next pressing.

It's always a choice. "Well, if you're tied up in legal shit right now, you won't want my lawyer bothering you."

But the credits aren't the be all and end all.  There need not be ANY writing credits on an album for the artists to be paid. The important thing is whether the filing with the publishing company is accurate, and whether any contractual requirements are met (some contracts require "credits" on an album; that's common with producers, for example.)

In any event, I'm not sticking up for Sharon or Ozzy, just pointing out that these issues can be complicated and often have multiple facets to them.  And as much as we love the artists we love, they're not always right on the mark (Bill Ward's "unsignable" contract comes to mind; all contracts are "signable", it's just whether you WANT to sign it or not.)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
By the way, anyone familiar with "Living Loud"?   The project with Daisley and Kerslake, with Don Airey on keys, Steve Morse (yes, that Steve Morse) on guitar, and Jimmy Barnes on vocals?  They put out a live album, but also a studio album, with like six new songs, and six Ozzy/Randy songs redone.   Jimmy Barnes is an acquired taste, but he acquits himself nicely on the Ozzy tunes and the originals are way better than they should be.

I bloody love that album.  The takes on the Ozzy songs is excellent and the original songs are great too.  A shame they didn't do a follow up.  The live DVD is awesome  too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

Daisley's payout wasn't really a choice. Sharon essentially said, "We're so tied up in legal shit right now we can't give you royalties but we will give you a $50k payout. Things were getting a bit shady with Uriah Heep at the time so Daisley took the deal (with Kerslake's encouragement). Also, on the first released of Ultimate Sin, only Jake and Ozzy were credited. Bob protested and they had it corrected it for the next pressing.

It's always a choice. "Well, if you're tied up in legal shit right now, you won't want my lawyer bothering you."

But the credits aren't the be all and end all.  There need not be ANY writing credits on an album for the artists to be paid. The important thing is whether the filing with the publishing company is accurate, and whether any contractual requirements are met (some contracts require "credits" on an album; that's common with producers, for example.)

In any event, I'm not sticking up for Sharon or Ozzy, just pointing out that these issues can be complicated and often have multiple facets to them.  And as much as we love the artists we love, they're not always right on the mark (Bill Ward's "unsignable" contract comes to mind; all contracts are "signable", it's just whether you WANT to sign it or not.)

I think we all know that “unsignable” was never meant to be taken literally.  I mean, if the contract said that Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony get 99.9%, the crew gets everything left over, and Bill gets a coupon for one year of free diaper service...most normal people would define that as “unsignable”.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Madman Shepherd

Well it's more nuanced than that. Bob and Lee were tied up in a legal battle over royalties from Blizzard and Diary. Sharon had just taken over management from her dad after buying him out but there was also a shitload of legal shit. What's funny is that Sharon and Ozzy supported Bob and Lee in their lawsuit about royalties and were also secretly assuming control of the publishing at the same time only to screw them twice over.

But anyway, the only other choice bob had was to argue more about publishing with them or to take the lump sum so yeah, he didn't have much of a choice at that point.

Offline WildRanger

Many people criticize the guitar tone on Blizzard.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Many people criticize the guitar tone on Blizzard.

When I want to listen to Blizzard I listen to Randy Rhoads Tribute.............gives those songs a whole new level of power.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bentower

^ Yes, Tribute is where it's at. The material on Blizzard of Ozz, fine as it is, is let down by the wimpy production and dragging tempos.

No Bone Movies is the only crummy song on the albums IMO.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
I've read that Blizzard and Madman were recorded at the same time, but to me that doesn't seem right. I don't buy it.
The production and songwriting sound different on both to me. Diary is better on both counts.
I've heard Ozzy say they were both done at the same time, but I don't trust his... ability to recollect.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
As you can probably surmise, he would miss Randy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ejlCB-tkQ
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Madman Shepherd

I've read that Blizzard and Madman were recorded at the same time, but to me that doesn't seem right. I don't buy it.
The production and songwriting sound different on both to me. Diary is better on both counts.
I've heard Ozzy say they were both done at the same time, but I don't trust his... ability to recollect.

They were recorded about a year apart.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I think we all know that “unsignable” was never meant to be taken literally.  I mean, if the contract said that Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony get 99.9%, the crew gets everything left over, and Bill gets a coupon for one year of free diaper service...most normal people would define that as “unsignable”.

I don't know.  I understand your point, I certainly have nothing to counter it, except... I personally just don't believe it.  Bill was the one that went public with the whole thing, and he played the martyr.   He's not a dumb guy, and these guys have been around the block enough to know that you have counsel available to make the hard decisions/do the hard negotiating.  He went for the sympathy vote (and, to be fair, got it from a lot of people).   I'm just hardened to the "oh, people, I just want to be there SO BADLY, but it's unsignable".... I think it serves to distance Bill from his culpability in the situation.  If he wanted to bad enough, he would have signed it.  That's what leverage is.   I'd've had a ton more respect for him if he came out and said "look, I love you guys, but a gig's a gig, and it's just not worth my time to be on the road for ten months doing two songs a night and watching Tommy Two-toes doing the rest of the set.   It's not a deal I want to sign."    Instead of the victim card, "oh, Tone and Oz are just fucking me over SO.. BAD!".   

Then again, I'm sort of not a fan of any of these arguments, be it Bill Ward, Michael Anthony, or Ace/Peter.   Those guys are not in for a reason, and it's not all savagery from the Big Machine. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I love them both, but my favorite has always been No More Tears.   :metal

Offline Volante99

No More Tears doesn’t get enough respect. People like to shit on Zakk Wylde these days but No More Tears is one of the best guitar albums of all time. It absolutely holds a place amongst Blizzard and Diary.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
which btw was produced by John Purdell and Duane Baron (who later produced Awake)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

No More Tears doesn’t get enough respect. People like to shit on Zakk Wylde these days but No More Tears is one of the best guitar albums of all time. It absolutely holds a place amongst Blizzard and Diary.

What's the bad song on No More Tears?  (That's a fargin' trick question!   There IS no bad song on No More Tears!)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness

What's the bad song on No More Tears?  (That's a fargin' trick question!   There IS no bad song on No More Tears!)

Indeed! What a fantastic album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com