Author Topic: Listening Habits  (Read 570 times)

Offline Dream Team

Listening Habits
« on: May 08, 2020, 02:35:27 PM »
So my wife is painting kitchen cabinets today and she’s content to listen to the same old songs OVER AND OVER AND OVER. She loves the hair bands of the ‘80s and I like some of it but that would drive me absolutely bonkers. Just out of curiosity, is that more of a female thing? The nurturer vs hunter-gatherer? What’s your experience with wives/girlfriends/etc?

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Listening Habits
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
my wife doesn't follow this exactly, but she has patterns of either going back to a lot of her favorites regularly, and/or overplaying new songs almost to the point I don't enjoy them as much as when they were just released.

A new track from Jessie Ware has almost found this problem to me. Good tune, but I've heard it like 75 times over the last month, and I'm a bit tired of it now. I want to hear the whole record so much more now.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 03:53:13 PM »
My ex-wife was into metal before we met, so we shared our music collection and went to a few concerts together.
My current partner of 9 years never heard any metal until she met me. Now she's into just about everything that i play in my car, and even comments when I play lighter stuff, calling it 'pussy music'.
She has seen Nightwish, was totally blown away by the gig, supported by Sabaton and we met Tuomas and Marco backstage after the gig.

Online DTA

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »
My girlfriend has pretty much had the same 150 core songs on her phone for years now. Every now and then she'll listen to 30 second samples from a new album, pick the ones that she likes the sound of, download them, and NEVER attempt to listen to the songs who samples she didn't initially like ever again. Whereas I will give songs I don't initially like a few tries to see if they grow on me. And even then, I only buy full albums and if I listen through, I'll still listen to those songs I dislike just because they're there.

I think she's probably the more normal one, whereas I obsess over music and usually make it part of everything I do. Music is just more important to me than it is to her.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
I'm the classic "can at least talk about anything metal that came out in the last 20 years, and listens through 100 new albums a year" DTF type but I do notice myself circling back to my comforting classics. I definitely have days where I just replay my best shit over and over again.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 04:32:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure my girlfriend very often listen to the same stuff, but she also checks out new releases in her preferred music genres.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
I think she's probably the more normal one, whereas I obsess over music and usually make it part of everything I do. Music is just more important to me than it is to her.

This is basically my answer! My wife likes music, and we do have some crossover, but she's just happy to stick her favourite radio station on 90% of the time.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 01:44:24 PM »
My wife listens to the same shit over and over again.

It’s classical music or nothing. And within that, it’s only the most famous violin concertos and symphonies.

For over 30 plus years, I’ve tried to break that cycle but no dice. I think I’ve give up.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »
My wife doesn't really listen to music. In the car she listens to NPR, when she goes on walks or cleans the house she listens to audio books. She has a couple shelves of CDs and cassettes(!) from her schoo/college she won't get rid of (because she won't get rid of anything). I went through them one day. Many of the jewel cases were missing the CD or had the wrong on in it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »
My last ex surprisingly had pretty varied listening habits, which is part of what attracted me to her.  As I am ALL over the place with what I want to listen to in any given day.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 02:01:26 PM »
The only thing my wife - a pro soprano, hence I daresay a musician - hates more than listening to music is listening to my music. Consequently, it's almost impossible for me not to find extreme amusement in sharing everything I'm listening to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 03:35:50 PM »
So I don't know what to say. I can and so sometimes listen to the same song four or five times in a row. I listen to what I like; sometimes that's whole concept albums, other times it's individual songs, and sometimes it's one song.  The other day I listened to Harry Styles' "Watermelon Sugar" four times in a row.