Author Topic: Tombstone  (Read 2798 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Tombstone
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:24:14 AM »

Can we just talk about how amazing this movie is?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Shooters1221

Re: Tombstone
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »
One of the best movies ever 'cause that law just don't go around here lawdog! :hefdaddy

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »
Yeah....this movie is pretty awesome!! Many memorable, quotable lines and the cast was incredible as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »
Why, Ike, whatever do you mean?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »
While we're quoting it...I personally love

Ed, what an ugly thing to say...does this mean we're not friends anymore?

:lol :metal

Yeah, timeless, amazing film that still has some of the greatest, most badass scenes of any film.

And this is coming from a guy that really, really hates westerns, cowboys and most things "country". But this film defies all cliches and tropes.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »
I too have never liked westerns.  There is just something about this film.  It's just different.

As I posted above, when Doc comes walking out of the shadows instead of Wyatt, it just slays me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
Huh. I love Westerns and always found this highly overrated. It's not bad by any means, but one pretty good character performance seemed to get it far more love than it really deserved. Take Val Kilmer out of it and it's a forgotten relic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
Take Val Kilmer out of it and it's a forgotten relic.

That's not a sentence you see every day.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
One of my favorite movies. So damn good

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »

That's not a sentence you see every day.

:rollin

I remember liking this movie a lot when I first saw it, and it was oft quoted within my circle of friends. Haven't seen since then, wonder how it holds up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 04:31:18 AM »

Can we just talk about how amazing this movie is?

Funny thing is...that's not even the scene where he says that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 06:11:53 AM »
"Where's Wyatt?"

"Down by the creek...walking on water."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 07:04:33 AM »
I saw the movie in my early 20's the night before I visited the actual city of Tombstone in AZ.  We were walking through a mall to kill time while on a family vacation and saw it in a store.  My parents bought it and we watched it that night at the house that we were staying at.  The next morning I saw the actual OK Corral and old Tombstone Cemetery - have loved the movie ever since.

The "two guns" quote is my favorite line from the movie.  Val Kilmer is awesome as Doc Holliday. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
Why you doin' this, Doc?

Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.

Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.

I don't.

Funny, I could say the same thing about pretty much every John Wayne western.

But I think you aren't giving Kurt Russell and Michael Biehn enough credit for their performances (which is easy to do, compared to Kilmer's).

I wouldn't say that when you've seen one western, you've seen them all, but I DO believe that if you've seen them all, it kind of feels like you've seen ONE.

The exceptions (for me) are Tombstone and Unforgiven (and The Wild Bunch, but who's counting).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
Took the words right out of my mouth.  Yes, Kilmer was magnificent, but Russell and Biehn were both pretty fantastic as well.  And Sam Elliot, of course.

And I totally agree about westerns. I have little use for most of them, but Tombstone and Unforgiven are both stellar. 

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:10:31 AM »
"Where's Wyatt?"

"Down by the creek...walking on water."
Cracked me up when I heard that line.

Also, I think the guy who played Ike Clanton deserves some praise. The realistic fear in his eyes and voice when Earp puts the gun to his head and says "You die first, get it?"
"He's bluffin."
"No! He ain't bluffin." That fear in his voice is the most convincing I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5xVHsMRV0

Weird timing by me to make this thread... and then Bill Paxton.  :sad:
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »
Weird timing by me to make this thread... and then Bill Paxton.  :sad:

Yeah, R.I.P. BP...aka Morgan Earp "You're the one Wyatt."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 06:40:09 AM »
"You gonna do somethin' or just stand there and bleed?"

Top 10 movie of all-time in the jingle rating system.  Have watched it so many times.  Pure brilliance.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »
Funny, I could say the same thing about pretty much every John Wayne western.
Nah, The Searchers and The Shootist are both wonderful movies with a great story behind them. It's really an oddball comparison, though, as Tombstone was an ensemble piece whereas Wayne's movies were largely centered around him. Personally I'm not a huge John Wayne fan, but when a part calls for him it's usually pretty damned good.

And I'm a big fan of westerns, largely because the good ones often tend to be great parables on human nature. You mention The Wild Bunch, and the scene at the end when they all silently recognize that it's time to make their final stand after accepting that the times have passed them up is really something else. One of my top five movies of any genre is The Big Country, which is a perfect example of being true to yourself rather than living up the expectation so others.

There were also some fantastic directors working almost entirely in that medium. Between Sturges, Ford, Peckinpah and Leon you've got a library full of great films.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
For me the last western movie the was great was Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.  I love that movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 06:12:36 AM »
For me the last western movie the was great was Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.  I love that movie.

When I opened this thread and someone mentioned what a great western Tombstone is (and they are right) the first thing I thought of was Open Range.  In my mind the best western gunfight scene of all time.  Back to Tombstone... I just watched it for the umpteenth time last night.  What an awesome movie, with some of the most epic quotes ever!  "I'm your Huckleberry"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »

When I opened this thread and someone mentioned what a great western Tombstone is (and they are right) the first thing I thought of was Open Range.  In my mind the best western gunfight scene of all time.  Back to Tombstone... I just watched it for the umpteenth time last night.  What an awesome movie, with some of the most epic quotes ever!  "I'm your Huckleberry"

:huckleberry:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
Val Kilmer was incredible in his prime. Tombstone is such a damn good film. Kurt russell, powers booth, micheal biehn, the list goes on. I love this movie

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42:09 AM »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 06:47:27 AM »
Awww man...now Curly Bill. Loved him!! https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/14/entertainment/powers-boothe-dies/

First character I thought of when I saw he passed away.  Just watched this about 10 days ago.

RIP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 06:47:38 AM »
Fuck.

I loved that guy. Holy shit, he was good

RIP to this bad ass

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 07:02:16 AM »
Bummed to see that. He was awesome in Deadwood also.

Also....just read a couple days ago that Kurt Russel directed Tombstone. They fired the original director then he 'ghost' directed the movie. Apparently there's a ton of footage that explores the tracking down and battling the cowboys more and Russel has plans to work up a bonus DVD.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »

Also....just read a couple days ago that Kurt Russel directed Tombstone. They fired the original director then he 'ghost' directed the movie. Apparently there's a ton of footage that explores the tracking down and battling the cowboys more and Russel has plans to work up a bonus DVD.

I don't recall that he directed. I remember the writer directed and they replaced him, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
They did release that extended version on DVD, which had a lot of extra footage in the movie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2017, 08:02:44 AM »

I don't recall that he directed. I remember the writer directed and they replaced him, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
They did release that extended version on DVD, which had a lot of extra footage in the movie.

Yeah....he directed it but was intentionally not credited. I'll try to find the article and link it.

**edit** links**

https://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2006/09/russell-ghosted/

https://truewestmagazine.com/the-western-godfather/

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/6986kz/til_kurt_russel_directed_tombstone_but_didnt_want/

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:35:46 AM by gmillerdrake »

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
Great thanks!!