Author Topic: Vangough - Warpaint (2017)  (Read 1288 times)

Offline LordCost

Vangough - Warpaint (2017)
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
I really liked the last Vangough album "Between The Madness" and I sent two or three times some of their songs in the roulette I've partecipated to. Tonight I discovered that they are releasing a new album on March 17th, and I've listened to the opener of the new album that I've linked here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRdUr09a_EQ

From the first song it's seems that the new album will be even better than Between The Madness. The style is not totally different from the last album but there is certainly something new I won't spoil.

Bandcamp link: https://vangough.bandcamp.com/

I don't know much of their first two albums but I know they were labeled as a band too much similar to Pain Of Salvation, and from the few songs I remember that definition could be right. Their last album was brilliant and with a more personal style for the majority of songs, and on the new song this trend continues. Really excited about the album!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:19:49 PM by Nick »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Vangough - Warpoint (2017)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
remind me to check this out when I get home despite never getting any albums from them yet

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
Happened to listen to this yesterday for the first time, actually. More listens obviously needed, but I would suspect this will end up being their best yet.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
Somehow everytime I see that title I think Warpaint. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
Somehow everytime I see that title I think Warpaint. 

Well, to be fair, you're right and the thread title is wrong. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline LordCost

Re: Vangough - Warpaint (2017)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:35:03 PM »
The few reviews I read gave only high scores.  :)
They also released another song called Knell. I will listen to it today.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
The album is definitely good and the songs are really well written as I expected, but I'm still not sure I prefer it to Between The Madness. Some songs (Dust and Till Nothing's Left) reminds me Alice In Chains and watching their bandcamp page "Alice In Chains" was one of the tags of the album. I expected more growls just to hear something totally different from them but they aren't present in the other tracks. I think there's something different on this album, just not as obvious as the growls on Morphine and I need more listens.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 05:47:55 AM »
Amazing album all around, been giving it lots of spins and its just very consistent. I feel like this is my album of the year right now, though this year doesn't have the strong competition that 2016 did as of yet.

Favourite tracks are Knell, The Suffering and Black Rabbit. The growls on Morphine were awesome and very similar to Opeth, I wish they made more use of them since it fit the music very well. Agree about the Alice In Chains influence as well, but this band is definitely finding their own sound too which I love.

Also, the chanting in Knell and Black Rabbit remind me so much of Leprous, cool stuff.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
Amazing album all around, been giving it lots of spins and its just very consistent. I feel like this is my album of the year right now, though this year doesn't have the strong competition that 2016 did as of yet.

Favourite tracks are Knell, The Suffering and Black Rabbit. The growls on Morphine were awesome and very similar to Opeth, I wish they made more use of them since it fit the music very well. Agree about the Alice In Chains influence as well, but this band is definitely finding their own sound too which I love.

Also, the chanting in Knell and Black Rabbit remind me so much of Leprous, cool stuff.

I agree on almost everything. Knell and Black Rabbit sound like Leprous. The singer has said that he would like to work musically with Einar in an interview, so he might be influenced by them during the writing of the songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
remind me to check this out when I get home despite never getting any albums from them yet
Nobody reminded me and I still haven't done it, nice

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Alright, this is on my list as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 12:12:17 AM »
Nobody reminded me and I still haven't done it, nice
Sorry, next time I send you a PM.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 12:15:53 AM »
ironically i'm listening to it literally right now. i'll give an opinion in a bit once i'm farther into it

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 12:43:36 AM »
Don't forget to listen to this one still.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 12:49:04 AM »
i am listening to it and i'm on the last track and

uhh, this has just left so little of an impression that i might need to listen again to form any sort of opinion but also i am not sure i want to? i don't know. their last album was incredibly pain of salvation-y but this one feels like they have even less of a personality of their own. it's enjoyable enough but not memorable in any way. meh

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 02:04:59 AM »
Alright, this is on my list as well.

Maybe I'll remove it from my list now.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:24 AM »
I like this album. It needs more listens but it's left me with a very good initial impression.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline LordCost

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 05:32:53 AM »
The only complaint I can have is that I would have liked some heavier and faster songs and I hoped to hear the growls also in other tracks, but the album is great. I needed more listens to appreciate Gravity and Black Rabbit more than the others.