Author Topic: What would a completely non-biased news network look like? Is it even possible?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Was thinking about this while listening to politics on the way in this morning, and how every news network picked the 3 or 4 minutes of Trump's 77 minutes yesterday that best fit the message they were trying to push.

Discuss.

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
Despite what people on all sides of the political spectrum might claim, the BBC comes closest. The problem it has is that it actually tries TOO hard to be "balanced" sometimes, which can mean it gives as much credence or implied credibility to absolute nut-jobs as it does to experts who actually know what they're talking about.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
    • my coverband
Not possible, I think.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline XeRocks81

I think there has to be some sort of editorial line.  If only to, like ariich mentioned,  not give credence to bullshit.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I think being a non-biased network would be fairly easy. The problem is with the viewers who now perceive reporting they don't like as biased and reporting they agree with as honest. Was the Post biased or fair when Woodward and Bernstein torpedoed Nixon? Think some people might have considered Time un-American for publishing the Pentagon Papers?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think you can have a non-biased network because right now everyone is a little biased. I think the best you can go for is not having an editorial line but hiring journalists that have varied opinions and are not fanatical on their views. That way you can read about the same topics from different points of view.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
One way around it is to just have people be open with their biases instead of putting on a facade of an impartial observer.

Offline PowerSlave

I think that everyone looks at this subject the wrong way. At the end of the day, I don't think that any of the mainstream news networks (Fox, CNN and MSNBC) really give two shits about pushing an agenda one way or another. What they do care about is manipulating their audience so that they can generate advertising revenue. If they can get their target segment of the population to keep tuning in then they make more towards the bottom line. Truth/Balance is secondary to their payroll.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I think that everyone looks at this subject the wrong way. At the end of the day, I don't think that any of the mainstream news networks (Fox, CNN and MSNBC) really give two shits about pushing an agenda one way or another. What they do care about is manipulating their audience so that they can generate advertising revenue. If they can get their target segment of the population to keep tuning in then they make more towards the bottom line. Truth/Balance is secondary to their payroll.
Not everyone.  :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think you can have a non-biased network because right now everyone is a little biased. I think the best you can go for is not having an editorial line but hiring journalists that have varied opinions and are not fanatical on their views. That way you can read about the same topics from different points of view.

I like this.   I think you need an editorial line, if only to sort out the stories you cover and the stories you don't (which is itself an inherent bias) but I think having both sides given a fair hearing is a really key part of it.   Even if you get the same story covered twice, it's often telling what details are used to illustrate the point and which are discarded.   I just got a news update from CNN just now: "Senate confirms Scott Pruitt to lead the EPA in a mostly party-line vote".   Another, from The Washington Post: "Senate confirms climate change skeptic Scott Pruitt to lead EPA, at agency he sued as Oklahoma Attorney General."   

Those are not the same.  They may both contain facts, but whereas the first allows us to research further and draw our own conclusions, the latter is clearly intended to highlight a particular point of view. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
One way around it is to just have people be open with their biases instead of putting on a facade of an impartial observer.

Respectfully, do you think that would be enough?  All three of the big ones, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, all profess to be "fair and balanced", and at least with Fox, their news coverage actually is (don't believe me, watch Shep Smith).   But you ask anyone, and they'll tell you - wrongly - that "Fox is by far the most biased", when virtually EVERY study on this subject has them far less biased than either CNN or MSNBC (which almost always gets the title "most biased mainstream news network"). 

Offline XeRocks81

Respectfully, do you think that would be enough?  All three of the big ones, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, all profess to be "fair and balanced", and at least with Fox, their news coverage actually is (don't believe me, watch Shep Smith).   

I agree with you about about Shep Smith being fair, but a lot of their shows like The Five, Fox & Friends and of course O'Reilly and Hannity are not.   Of course he is a news anchor and the others are more like pundits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Respectfully, do you think that would be enough?  All three of the big ones, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, all profess to be "fair and balanced", and at least with Fox, their news coverage actually is (don't believe me, watch Shep Smith).   

I agree with you about about Shep Smith being fair, but a lot of their shows like The Five, Fox & Friends and of course O'Reilly and Hannity are not.   Of course he is a news anchor and the others are more like pundits.

You answered your own question; Smith is the NEWS anchor, the others are op-ed pieces (though at least The Five and Outnumbered - which you didn't mention but which is the greatest show in the history of broadcast television - offer competing views in the same discussion.  For example, Bob Beckel is a key regular contributor on The Five.)

Online antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.

Respectfully, do you think that would be enough?  All three of the big ones, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News, all profess to be "fair and balanced", and at least with Fox, their news coverage actually is (don't believe me, watch Shep Smith).   But you ask anyone, and they'll tell you - wrongly - that "Fox is by far the most biased", when virtually EVERY study on this subject has them far less biased than either CNN or MSNBC (which almost always gets the title "most biased mainstream news network"). 

I dunno, just spitballing. I agree that Smith does a good job whenever I see him, which is admittedly not too often.

Offline XeRocks81

You answered your own question; Smith is the NEWS anchor, the others are op-ed pieces (though at least The Five and Outnumbered - which you didn't mention but which is the greatest show in the history of broadcast television - offer competing views in the same discussion.  For example, Bob Beckel is a key regular contributor on The Five.)

I obviously don't watch any of the Fox news pundit shows the same way you don't watch the Daily Show,  Full Frontal, Last Week Tonight etc. and we're both happier for it

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I obviously don't watch any of the Fox news pundit shows the same way you don't watch the Daily Show,  Full Frontal, Last Week Tonight etc. and we're both happier for it

For the record, I don't watch any of them either, except for Outnumbered (watch it once and you'll know why).  I probably watch Anderson Cooper more than anything, just because I like the guy. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
I don't think it's possible because we are all humans and humans will either have a true or perceived bias.  And then we have money involved as well which adds more possibilities to bias.

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
I don't think it's possible because we are all humans and humans will either have a true or perceived bias.
Individual humans, perhaps, but it's very possible for an organisation to be extremely independent/objective in political terms.

EDIT: Though even with political neutrality, you can get disagreements over, for example, whether facts or evidence are relevant. Which is a serious problem a the moment in both the UK and the US.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
I don't think it's possible because we are all humans and humans will either have a true or perceived bias.
Individual humans, perhaps, but it's very possible for an organisation to be extremely independent/objective in political terms.

EDIT: Though even with political neutrality, you can get disagreements over, for example, whether facts or evidence are relevant. Which is a serious problem a the moment in both the UK and the US.

I dont know, I think it's possible ideologically, but reality, I am not so sure because the people running organizations are still people who can be influenced and that still means a large amount of money being dealt with that is bound to influence someone.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
And I'll say again, there's far more to FOX than Shepard Smith and even their CATV channel. Their website writes very even handed articles, always about things that promote the conservative agenda (or more accurately, anti-liberal). Since I don't have cable I can only go by what I hear, but I do have the internet and a FOX RSS feed on my desktop and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see right through the charade of fair and balanced.

What will you always see? Minimum one article about how liberals and PC culture are destroying us all.

COLLEGE CONTROVERSY Wis. group seeks free tuition for black students
NBA All-Star game ticket prices plunge: Location change to blame?
Toxic metal at higher concentrations in gluten-free food?

What will you never see? Republicans fucked up or Democrats did something right:
Chirp.
Chrip
Chirp

Day in, day out for the last 15 years.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
I've always felt like if you have to advertise as "fair and balanced" then you likely aren't

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

For the record, I don't watch any of them either, except for Outnumbered (watch it once and you'll know why). 

The presence of Megan McMain makes that show a steaming pile of horse shit.  She is one of those people who makes you want to rip your ears off and throw them at her, a) so you can't hear her anymore, and b) so you have something to throw at her.

Now, back when they had Andrea Tantaros, it was worth watching...for like 10 minutes. :lol :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Now, back when they had Andrea Tantaros, it was worth watching...for like 10 minutes. :lol :lol

My old job used to have fox news on all the time and we couldn't change it.  There was a big screen in front of the cubicles.  I was working for one of the biggest banks in the US.  Watching the five with her, oh man, it was hard to get work done  :lol jk obviously but I really found her to be beautiful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

My old job used to have fox news on all the time and we couldn't change it.  There was a big screen in front of the cubicles.  I was working for one of the biggest banks in the US.  Watching the five with her, oh man, it was hard to get work done  :lol jk obviously but I really found her to be beautiful.

She's pretty, but she's got sort of a chipmunk face.   She's no Sandra Smith. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
I'll settle for news that clearly acknowledges its biases and doesn't try to deny them. It makes it easier to sift through. I think this is a great article (speech) that illustrates what I mean.

http://time.com/4675860/donald-trump-fake-news-attacks/?mc_cid=4c20cfe453&mc_eid=8f0db6cad6

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3

Yea, but I kind of find that chipmunk face cute.  I like it.  I also really like Jenna Lee, another one of the girls on the TV at work that was right in front of me when I'd get in (at noon).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Yea, but I kind of find that chipmunk face cute.  I like it.  I also really like Jenna Lee, another one of the girls on the TV at work that was right in front of me when I'd get in (at noon).

I still say SE Cupp is the best looking female on political television.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I still say SE Cupp is the best looking female on political television.

Only for those times when Sandra Smith is not on television.  ;) 

I kid; Ms. Cupp is very attractive. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
And I say again they're all pigs compared to Melissa Theuriau. She sets the bar and it's pretty damned high. I'd learn Français if I could to watch her broadcasts.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
And I say again they're all pigs compared to Melissa Theuriau. She sets the bar and it's pretty damned high. I'd learn Français if I could to watch her broadcasts.

Yeah, and you're not at all wrong on that one. I forget about her because I don't see her with any regularity, but she does win the internet. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay, since we're all rushing down the track to Creepymantown on the Machismo Express, I'll go with a Yanet Garcia weather forecast for 1000, Alex.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Okay, since we're all rushing down the track to Creepymantown on the Machismo Express, I'll go with a Yanet Garcia weather forecast for 1000, Alex.
"Cheesesteak, Club and Reuben."
"What are three sandwiches she needs to eat?"
"That is correct."
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Having never heard of her, how come a quick Google gets more NSFW photos than work photos?  At least Melissa Theuriau, the photos are of her seriously delivering the news, and seriously weighing in on the latest political scandal, and seriously wondering where her top is when she wades into the Mediterranean.  Are you sure Yanet is a real newscaster?  :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Cheesesteak, Club and Reuben."
"What are three sandwiches she needs to eat?"
"That is correct."

:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Are you sure Yanet is a real newscaster?  :)
Of course not.  She is a weather girl.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.