Author Topic: I don't usually link YouTube videos, but this may well be James best performance  (Read 4850 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
https://youtu.be/x2_wJP3VCBw

That's like album quality for the most part. Far better than Live in Tokyo.

EDIT: Lol, James is going berserk during JP's outro solo in TTT :lol
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:12:46 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I've seen this before. Simply phenomenal.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
LaBrie was a god amongst mangs back then.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Very clean. He just hit F# effortlessly in LtL.

And I sent this concert to the people who insist to say "but... but Live at Marque's vocals were dubbed in the studio."
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Very clean. He just hit F# effortlessly in LtL.

And I sent this concert to the people who insist to say "but... but Live at Marque's vocals were dubbed in the studio."
That's a weird thing because people know he was awesome during most of that tour, and overdubbing that concert was kind of unnecessary.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cable

Wow at the JLB performance. Wow for the sound too.
---

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
awesome performance

Offline Evai

Why is time and age so cruel to vocal cords  :P Never mind the F#, that G in Killing Hand... kills
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Siddhartha

Thatīs the best performance I have seen of James by far.

Thanks for the link.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The sound is great on this old recording.  Ah, a time where people didn't have the expectations to hit the f# and he flawlessly does it.  I still need to see this song live with my own eyes and ears.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Sorry a bit off topic but as far as LaBrie's live performances: I was checking out some Score stuff on YouTube and LaBrie sounds fucking phenomenal. Gonna have to buy this soon.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline SkiFiX

And this was the best performance of the labrie 2.0

https://youtu.be/yiCdNXJ0Iso

Supporting Yes at the end of the 2004. Simply perfect and powerful

Offline MirrorMask

Coming back to the God Mode of LaBrie in 1993, there's also this massively awesome rendition of Learning to Live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlUv2HF-vvM

I also like the video 'cause of their outfits, sure it may look dated now but they looked, well, different, just like their music. They had an unusual blend of prog and heavy moments, and their look also reflected that. I'm in for the music and not the image but they're a lot more standard today, with the usual "I'm so metal" black outfits (Myung is excused of course).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

Why is time and age so cruel to vocal cords  :P Never mind the F#, that G in Killing Hand... kills

I think his injury is the main culprit . . . plenty of opera singers retain that high range into their 70s buy of course don't have rigorous rock n roll touring schedules.

Offline Tomislav95

Since we're sharing videos, hope it's not repost :lol https://youtu.be/4uUyDzy2iGU
This one has some of my favorite performances by James Labrie, he is on point and really powerful there, just like on Score. Highlights for me are the ending of Losing Time/Grand Finale and of course screams in Octavarium and LtL.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Iceyice

Shit, man!
I'm supposed to be listening to 'Breakfast with the Beatles' here in NY on Q-104.3 here at work. After watching some of this, here i am watching DT and Portnoy 50th birthday videos instead!
Thanks a lot, lol!
'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
And this was the best performance of the labrie 2.0

https://youtu.be/yiCdNXJ0Iso

Supporting Yes at the end of the 2004. Simply perfect and powerful

Aw man, so powerful  :(
Kinda only rubs in what is happening live during this tour.

Offline CB

Well, I wouldn't call a normal biological process cruel. For me JLBs current voice has a more fascinating sound and more charisma and soul than his voice of the early 90s (it was a bit too "boyish" back then for my taste), and his ability to act with his voice is greater than ever. But of course his range has changed and singing a whole album that's 25 years old and doesn't fit his current range isn't the best idea. I understand that they have to do the I&W tour a a result of TA and I'm glad I was able to hear it live. But it was clear from the start that this tour wouldn't allow JLBs voice to shine as it could if they played mostly songs that fit his range, with only 1 or 2 of the old classics in the setlist. I hope they'll do that with the next album/tour. It seems a bit stupid to have a great singer in the band and not "use" him properly.

About opera tenors - they don't have to sing Fs and Gs, and they usually have at least 2 days off after a performance to allow voice and body to recover. And still, even some of the best sing the C lower if they feel during a performance that they won't hit it properly. I know from an old interview with Domingo that he did that, had no problem with admitting it, and he was still in his 30s back then.

BTW, lots of great videos in this thread, thanks!

I think his injury is the main culprit . . . plenty of opera singers retain that high range into their 70s buy of course don't have rigorous rock n roll touring schedules.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
James is doing surprisingly well on this tour so far. First show was a little rough, as expected, but he's only been getting better and better. Certain spots here and there are still a struggle, but they would be for any 54 year old singer. He's actually doing really, really well. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching some of the videos on YouTube.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline MirrorMask

Since we're sharing videos, hope it's not repost :lol https://youtu.be/4uUyDzy2iGU
This one has some of my favorite performances by James Labrie, he is on point and really powerful there, just like on Score. Highlights for me are the ending of Losing Time/Grand Finale and of course screams in Octavarium and LtL.

I was there! A memorable concert for sure  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
Here's Learning to Live from the Zurich show, this tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-gpKARF6ss

While it isn't a perfect performance by James, and he struggles in a few spots, I still think it's really solid overall. His delivery, control and power is still there, even if certain pitches are hard to reach. Not a bad performance, by any means.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Man, they look really.......bored? I dunno. Maybe just tired. But just for that LTL video, there was like 0 energy on that stage.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

Man, they look really.......bored? I dunno. Maybe just tired. But just for that LTL video, there was like 0 energy on that stage.

That's by far my biggest beef with this band. This could be studio rehearsal footage for all intents and purposes, with crowd noises piped in.

Offline Evai

If the DT guys don't feel the need to have an energetic looking show, I don't see why they should. They can chill playing their instruments, and whoever likes it can come to the show.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
I've never had any problems with their stage presence. Honestly, I'm glad they don't run around all over the stage like they did back in the early '90s. It just looked silly, and I'm glad they put a stop to it. For me, going to see a DT show is like going to watch a symphony orchestra, or any serious virtuoso musical performance. I couldn't give two fucks about stage antics or tricky visuals and stunts - I just want to be able to sit there and watch them play. That is the type of band DT is.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I don't know. With that attitude, might as well just wait for the DVD and watch it at home. Live is supposed to be live; as Marco Minnemann said during the audition documentary, "You give energy to the people, and they give it back to you. That's what it's all about.". The Zurich video felt like a soundcheck. You know, where people do "1 2 3, and ... then I will do a jump during the show later. 6 7 8, here would be the pirouette..."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:37:11 PM by rumborak »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Being in a band, especially on tour, is a job, and some nights you show up because you have to. You see a band enough times, and you can usually tell the difference. Rush was a band that you could tell pretty easily if they were into it that night or not.

I don't need DT to run around. never have. But I want to know that they are at least into it. I've seen shows where they were, and I've seen shows where they weren't. It's something that is not evident in the playing, listening back to the boots, but being there, it's clear.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
This is just a hunch, but I suspect that this tour isn't all that enjoyable to them. JLB is struggling every night, MM is playing MP's material almost exclusively ..

Online Adami

I'm not 100% sure why "They look bored and lacking energy" is so often met with "I don't need them to run around crazy".

You can have lots of energy and not run around crazy. In almost every video from this tour (that I've seen), they just look depleted of energy. You can say it doesn't bother you, and that's totally cool, but for a guy like me who wants to see the musicians really love what they do, it's unfortunate.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:00:58 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not 100% sure why "They look bored and lacking energy" is so often met with "I don't need them to run around crazy".

Well, I think it's an exaggeration to make a point.

but for a guy like me who wants to see the musicians really love what they do, it's unfortunate.
Yup, pretty much what I said and how I feel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

Metallica don't "run around" much, but they sure give off a shit-ton of energy.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
I don't know, I guess I don't see what any of you people are talking about. To me, they look like they're just focused on playing their instruments. Seems like a lot of you are reading way into it; seems like a popular trend around here.

Online Adami

Reading too into what? It's a preference dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CB

I don't know, I guess I don't see what any of you people are talking about. To me, they look like they're just focused on playing their instruments. Seems like a lot of you are reading way into it; seems like a popular trend around here.

I think/hope you're right. I didn't feel any lack on energy at the 2 shows i attended and I didn't hear any complaints about their performance either. There was a lot of energy in the audience during both shows, I doubt that would have been possible if there had been a lack of energy on stage. James war very agile and made contact with the audience most of the time (totally different from TA). Jordan was sometimes singing along behind his keyboard (at least it looked like that). JP and JM looked very focused but not bored imo. I couldn't see MM very well behind his drums, he clearly enjoyed his solo :smiley:
I want DT to be authentic on stage, and I think they are.

Offline CB

Found this video from Hamburg with nice close ups and good sound. MMs solo :metal Great audience reaction, nobody felt a lack of energy there. One of my favourite concerts for sure! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQa4vbwsZKw