Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 209211 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2660 on: January 12, 2018, 06:43:10 AM »
Can someone explain why the Rooney rule is needed? Why force someone to interview someone, regardless of skin color, if they know the candidate they want? I get the intent is to get more non-white coaches hired but the fact that the Raiders are being investigated even when they interviewed a black coach makes no sense.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2661 on: January 12, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
Can someone explain why the Rooney rule is needed? Why force someone to interview someone, regardless of skin color, if they know the candidate they want? I get the intent is to get more non-white coaches hired but the fact that the Raiders are being investigated even when they interviewed a black coach makes no sense.

It's pretty easy to find literature discussing why it was put in place in the first place, but it's fairly absurd to apply it in this particular situation.  It's obvious at this point that Del Rio was nothing but a placeholder until Raiders ownership could convince Gruden to take the job.  The Raiders were never looking for a head coach.  Rather, they wanted Jon Gruden.  Requiring the Raiders to interview ANYONE else ("minority" or otherwise) would have been pointless.  It's even more stupid to apply the Rooney Rule when you're talking about the franchise that had the first Hispanic starting quarterback in pro football history, the NFL's first Hispanic head coach, the NFL's first black coach (in the modern era), and the NFL's first female executive.  As much as I utterly despise the Raiders, and as ineptly as the team has been run over the past decade and a half, the Raiders have demonstrated a longer and deeper commitment to "diversity" than any other NFL franchise.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2662 on: January 13, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
Titan running back Murray will not play tonight.  I saw where two of the Patriots running backs are out for the game.  The titans have a much improved Henry.  How much will the Patriots be hurt by the loss of the two running backs?  A key for the Patriots will be to contain Mariotta on the run.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2663 on: January 13, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
One has only played in a few games.   Burkhead will be missed but both Lewis and White are formidable.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:33:49 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2664 on: January 13, 2018, 03:54:31 PM »
It doesn't matter. Tonight might as well be another bye for the Patriots.

This game has to be agonizing for Eagles fans, knowing that even if you win, you still have Nick Foles at QB and thus no real shot to win the Super Bowl despite being the 1 seed.  That is rough.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2665 on: January 13, 2018, 04:37:34 PM »

This game has to be agonizing for Eagles fans, knowing that even if you win, you still have Nick Foles at QB and thus no real shot to win the Super Bowl despite being the 1 seed.  That is rough.

If the Titans manage to pull off the upset tonight (which I sincerely doubt will happen), the Super Bowl is anybody’s for the taking.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2666 on: January 13, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »

It's actually known as a Double Bye around here. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2667 on: January 13, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »

Yeah, Atlanta just helped Philly delay the inevitable.  Another snooze fest playoff game.  It was more Atlanta losing than it was Philly winning.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2668 on: January 13, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
Yeah, Atlanta WTF?? 10 points??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2669 on: January 13, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
@CaptTouchback
 8m8 minutes ago
More
The least the #Patriots could do is hand the ball to the ref after the TD and let him spike it. #TENvsNE

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2670 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »
@NOTSportsCenter
 9m9 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: The #TENvsNE lead official has been fired for violating league rules by actually calling a penalty against the Patriots

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:39 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2672 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
The least the #Patriots could do is hand the ball to the ref after the TD and let him spike it. #TENvsNE

:lol

#Timesup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2673 on: January 13, 2018, 08:04:06 PM »
@JohnGavinJr
 1m1 minute ago
More
I’m not a Pats hater but this is WWE level fixed. Refs have ruined yet another game #TENvsNE

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2674 on: January 13, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2675 on: January 13, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »
Yeah, Atlanta WTF?? 10 points??

Yup, they choked again. And lol at Titans fans going batshit crazy over the refereeing on the Titans message board like they are actually surprised at how the calls are going  :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
CBS and my TV carrier are having a pissing contest so CBS is currently off my channel line-up. I hope I am not missing a good game.....  :laugh:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2677 on: January 14, 2018, 05:19:18 AM »
Cable companies should give money back when they fuck us with channels.  The 3 major networks are a staple. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2678 on: January 14, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »

Honestly?  I think they honestly feel like they have a legit shot.    The mood that I'm getting is not "borrowed time", but rather "There's no need to fear!  UNDERDOG is here!"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: January 14, 2018, 07:46:38 AM »
Look, if I'm Mularky, or Tom Foolery or Balderdash or whatever his name is, and I get to trade "a few more calls" versus "having my best O-lineman back" and "having White still be out", I'm taking the latter every day of the week.    The officials didn't make this a 35-7 (for all intents and purposes) game.  The players on the field did.    The Tennessee D could not stop the Patriots, it's that simple.

I did feel like I heard this quote by Mularky somewhere, though it might have been the vodka haze:  "Fuck all of you in the press.  Brady, Kraft and Belichick are as tight as a drum, and they proved it for 60 minutes tonight.  And Patricia and McDaniels are happy right where they are, fuck Indy, NY and Detroit.   Thanks for stirring up the hornet's nests, assholes." 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2680 on: January 14, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »
When Adam Schefter puts it out there that Patricia is a done deal for the Lions.  It's a done deal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2681 on: January 14, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
It didn't seem like Patricia was taken seriously as a head coaching candidate before this year. I am very interested to see how he does.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2682 on: January 14, 2018, 11:13:40 AM »
I am stunned that the Tomlin-led Steelers came out lethargic against a team they perceive to be inferior to them, said no one ever.  :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: January 14, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »
At home......

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: January 14, 2018, 11:36:20 AM »
Boy the Steelers are firing on all cylinders today.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2685 on: January 14, 2018, 12:03:02 PM »
I'll remind people of the '94 NFC Championship Game, where the 49ers got out to a shocking 21pt lead early, and yet barely won the game, and only with some help from Barry Switzer's silly ass. Pitt's still the better team, and Bell is still a fucking beast.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2686 on: January 14, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
We'll see about that.  The Jags have outscored them this year 51-16 in 5 1/2 quarters, all of which were played in Pittsburgh.   Hard to call the Steelers the better team when you consider that.

Fournette is hurt now though, so that helps the Steelers.

Also, while the Cowboys made a comeback in that game against the 49ers in '94, they were never within a score, and the '9ers won by 10.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: January 14, 2018, 12:20:40 PM »
Jesus.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: January 14, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
I never in a million years thought I'd tune in and find this 28-7 Jacksonville.  Man. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2689 on: January 14, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
We'll see about that.  The Jags have outscored them this year 51-16 in 5 1/2 quarters, all of which were played in Pittsburgh.   Hard to call the Steelers the better team when you consider that.

Also, while the Cowboys made a comeback in that game against the 49ers in '94, they were never within a score, and the '9ers won by 10.
I never expected the Steelers to come back and win. I was just suggesting not to think the game is over.

And my recollection is that SF doesn't score the final TD if Switzer doesn't run out onto the field. Failing that Dallas gets the ball back with some momentum. Take that away and SF is up be 3 against a Dallas team that mostly outplayed them after the first quarter and a half. We'll never know how it might have played out, but I liked Dallas' chances a lot.

Also, pointing at the other team when you run past them is one of the coolest things you can do. Shame it's something that can get you ejected now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: January 14, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »

I never expected the Steelers to come back and win. I was just suggesting not to think the game is over.

And my recollection is that SF doesn't score the final TD if Switzer doesn't run out onto the field. Failing that Dallas gets the ball back with some momentum. Take that away and SF is up be 3 against a Dallas team that mostly outplayed them after the first quarter and a half. We'll never know how it might have played out, but I liked Dallas' chances a lot.

Also, pointing at the other team when you run past them is one of the coolest things you can do. Shame it's something that can get you ejected now.

He did look like a bad ass on that play, sure enough. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: January 14, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
I wonder if that last second touchdown by Pittsburgh will come to haunt Jacksonville?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: January 14, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
I wonder if that last second touchdown by Pittsburgh will come to haunt Jacksonville?

Based on this drive, what with the "Patriots-like" fake and shovel, and the subsequent dumbass personal foul (I'm not buying he was pushed into Bell), it's not out of the question.  Never count out Big Ben.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2693 on: January 14, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »
  Never count out Big Ben.

I don't know. He's no Aaron Rodgers!  :neverusethis:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2694 on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
You're right, he's not.