Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 209209 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1015 on: September 11, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
Is it me or did yesterday feel like an extension of the pre-season?  :lol So many teams just looked like they weren't ready for the regular season...

It's season opener jitters for a lot of teams.  Happens every year.  Some recover, some don't.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: September 11, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »
Is it me or did yesterday feel like an extension of the pre-season?  :lol So many teams just looked like they weren't ready for the regular season...

^^^ I think that's the reality of the NFL these days.  If I'm the owners, I seriously think about getting rid of the preseason.   Why anyone would play a Beckham, Jr., or Gronk, or Brady in the pre-season is beyond me, so you get this "save them for the regular season" mentality.  BUT, that means the first week is like the week we just saw, and I think, end of the day, you're going to have MORE injuries because people just aren't ready for the full contact.  You just can't simulate some of the hits that you see in a regular NFL game.

Yea I agree with this.  A lot of teams looked rusty and it makes sense.  I'd say just make the pre-season 2 games.  One to test players for cuts and one more like a legit warm up.  4 games is too much.  No big time player is worth that risk.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1017 on: September 11, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
^^^ I think that's the reality of the NFL these days.  If I'm the owners, I seriously think about getting rid of the preseason.   Why anyone would play a Beckham, Jr., or Gronk, or Brady in the pre-season is beyond me, so you get this "save them for the regular season" mentality.  BUT, that means the first week is like the week we just saw, and I think, end of the day, you're going to have MORE injuries because people just aren't ready for the full contact.  You just can't simulate some of the hits that you see in a regular NFL game.

I agree, but no owner is going to do that. They sell tickets and get tv money for pre-season games, and they don't have to pay the players. They are making out on those games.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1018 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
I was a season ticket holder for the Pats from 1986 (as an 18 year old) until the 2012 season.  I bitched that the pre season games should be less and take the difference and add it to the regular season games.  It's easier to get rid of the regular season games.  They finally went that way after I gave up the tickets.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1019 on: September 11, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »
How much longer is Sean Payton going to coast off of that one Super Bowl win?  Will a 4th consecutive 7-9 season finally make some realize that he isn't that great of a head coach?  What a waste of Drew Brees' latter years.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1020 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:20 PM »
I guess I'll be the one to say it. I really miss Chris Berman right now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1021 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »
Re: pre-season

They do serve a very important purpose IMO....they give coaches a chance to see what new draft picks and 2nd/3rd stringers are going to do in "real game" situations and not just playing against their teammates. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: September 11, 2017, 11:18:52 PM »
Holy crap I knew the Four-Letter network gave that fat windbag a microphone but I didn't think they were going to let him call a whole game!

Poor showing by the Seahawks. We got SBXL'ed on a couple calls, but they didn't deserve to win. Most of us had this chalked up as a loss anyway, and with the Cardinals not looking threatening, the NFCW still looks like it's ours to lose.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1023 on: September 12, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
Holy crap I knew the Four-Letter network gave that fat windbag a microphone but I didn't think they were going to let him call a whole game!
If you're talking about Ryan, he didn't bug me much. My problem was with the chick that sounded like a dude. I generally don't care who the color person is, but the play by play guy/gal needs to sound normal. That was just strange as fuck. Until they showed her at halftime I thought they'd brought in a jockey to call the game.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1024 on: September 12, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
^^^ What game are you talking about?   I didn't watch much football this week except for the Pats, and even that, I missed a chunk of the start of the second half.   Gisele was being high maintenance. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1025 on: September 12, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »
That was just a one time thing Barto.  When I saw her and Ryan before the game started, I said TG this is a one time thing.  I didn't watch most of the game anyway.

I guess I'll be the one to say it. I really miss Chris Berman right now.

:rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1026 on: September 12, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »
^^^ What game are you talking about?   I didn't watch much football this week except for the Pats, and even that, I missed a chunk of the start of the second half.   Gisele was being high maintenance.
The late MNF game. https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/12/16294056/sergio-dipp-rex-ryan-beth-mowins-espn-mnf
I was only able to stomach about 20 minutes total of the commentary, but where she didn't seem knowledgeable she made up for it by asking reasonable questions. I honestly found it refreshing to hear her ask Rex Ryan "why is that?" a couple of times. The problem is that they picked a woman who spoke like a man. Not really the voice, though she is somewhat husky voiced, but in her inflections and mannerisms. Like I said, I thought it was just a really tiny guy at first. Perhaps it's just the need to sound excited during boring moments, but I found it highly annoying.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: September 12, 2017, 10:43:52 AM »
If you're talking about Ryan, he didn't bug me much. My problem was with the chick that sounded like a dude. I generally don't care who the color person is, but the play by play guy/gal needs to sound normal. That was just strange as fuck. Until they showed her at halftime I thought they'd brought in a jockey to call the game.

She has been doing college football games for awhile on ESPN and I've never been able to enjoy her commentary, she isn't bad, but it's her voice like you say.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: September 12, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
It seems like many were picking the Bengals to get back to the playoffs, and while week 1 is always kinda weird, I don't get it.  Fortunately for them, they get the hapless Texans next week.  :lol

Tonight is showing why I thought the Giants were overrated.  Yeah, their D is great, but their o-line is total trash, and without OBJ, the entire offense is trash. Eli is shitty.

Oh, and LOL at Los Angeles. Opening day and the Rams apparently had an atrocious turn-out. Way to go, NFL.  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Gate was 60k.  It's a 100k seat stadium.  We were there and did our part! :P  Matter of fact, I saw some tweets from other teams that showed pics of lots of empty seats around the league  Something else, Saturday saw 175,000 fans for USC and UCLA, Sunday had 50k at the Dodgers game at the same time as the Rams.  Add to that it was hotter than HELL!!!! 95 degrees.  We were under the press box in the shade just cringing looking at the peeps roasting in the Sunny seats.  At the end of the day we were 4-12 last year and had the  top 5 attendance.  More wins like Sunday's will fill seats for sure!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:25:20 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1029 on: September 12, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
This is what 91,000 fans looks like. What we saw Sunday was <20k. If the heat (95???) and baseball kept them away then so be it. Not trying to rag on the Los Angelish.  It wasn't close to the 60k, though.

E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: September 12, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
60k was probably tickets sold, not actual attendance.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: September 12, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »
This is what 91,000 fans looks like. What we saw Sunday was <20k. If the heat (95???) and baseball kept them away then so be it. Not trying to rag on the Los Angelish.  It wasn't close to the 60k, though.

No WAY it was less than 20k  Maybe 50k, yeah 60k was tix sold. And yeah, seems like everyone wants to jab at us Angelinos...whatever.  Especially the talking and wanna be talking heads.

Levi Stadium didn't look too packed either...LOL 

https://twitter.com/annkillion/status/907002090421084162/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F09%2F10%2F49ers-rams-open-seasons-empty-stadiums-photos
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:44:17 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1032 on: September 12, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »
I'm honestly not trying to rag on anybody. I hope the Rams are successful in LA, and the new stadium will no doubt improve their attendance a bit. I just think that expecting the Rams to be more successful than the last few attempts at football in LA, while adding a second team into the mix, is very unrealistic. It's really more of a jab at the NFL than Los Angelists.

And it's a shame we'll never know the actual attendance numbers. That seems like a perfect "guess the number of jellybeans" type of game. Personally, I think that's 20-25% full. 
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: September 12, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
I'd guess 30k, it's hard to tell from that picture. 

Definitely not a shot at you, Greg, or the Rams in general.  It just looks like a poor showing regardless.  There is a lot going on in LA, no doubt.  But it is strange why the NFL thought this was going to be a market for two teams given the history.  Maybe some success will help.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1034 on: September 12, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
And yeah, seems like everyone wants to jab at us Angelinos...whatever.

I know/admit that I called you guys (Angelinos) fickle when it comes to the NFL earlier in this thread, but I hope that you didn't think that it was meant as a jab/insult. You have to admit that your city is unlike any other place on the earth. The options for entertainment, or ways to spend your free time is probably endless compared to most other NFL cities. As a comparison, the closest NFL city to me is Cleveland. The two favorite pass-times of most people in my area during the NFL season is either being a Browns fan, or freezing your balls off when the wind comes in off of Lake Erie. Needless to say, the choices are limited.

Nobody in their right mind would expect you folks to accept a franchise that isn't successful.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1035 on: September 12, 2017, 08:35:50 PM »
Trevor Siemian is better than most think. He is not a world beater, but he is good enough.  Good win for the Broncos last night.  :tup :tup

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: September 17, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
Potential for some great games today!

BRING ON FOOTBALL!!!!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1037 on: September 17, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Super Bowl winning coach be this terrible for this long and keep his job. Please end this already.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1038 on: September 17, 2017, 01:47:18 PM »
Man, I like Romo a lot better as a quarterback than an announcer. Nonstop doom and gloom.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1039 on: September 17, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
And yeah, seems like everyone wants to jab at us Angelinos...whatever.

I know/admit that I called you guys (Angelinos) fickle when it comes to the NFL earlier in this thread, but I hope that you didn't think that it was meant as a jab/insult. You have to admit that your city is unlike any other place on the earth. The options for entertainment, or ways to spend your free time is probably endless compared to most other NFL cities. As a comparison, the closest NFL city to me is Cleveland. The two favorite pass-times of most people in my area during the NFL season is either being a Browns fan, or freezing your balls off when the wind comes in off of Lake Erie. Needless to say, the choices are limited.

Nobody in their right mind would expect you folks to accept a franchise that isn't successful.

New York is similar to LA in terms of options for entertainment yet even when they suck, the Jets and Giants never fail to draw a crowd. Not every city is a football town though and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a similar thing to Atlanta with hockey. They had two different instances where an NHL team relocated to Atlanta and not long after left for another city. Some sports don't work in certain places.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1040 on: September 17, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
Man, I like Romo a lot better as a quarterback than an announcer. Nonstop doom and gloom.

Hmmm, I like him so far.  And he will get better.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Super Bowl winning coach be this terrible for this long and keep his job. Please end this already.

He is easily the worst head coach to ever win a Super Bowl.  He's a glorified OC.

Potential for some great games today!

BRING ON FOOTBALL!!!!

Philly/KC was a fun game to watch.  Lots of great D!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: September 17, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
Yanda done for the year. This sucks...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: September 17, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
Did you guy read about Derek Carr audibling at the 1 yard line? He yelled out Seattle and didn't hand off to Marshawn Lynch?!😂
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1043 on: September 17, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
I though the Raiders were on a bye...oops, playing the Jets. Same thing. :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1044 on: September 17, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
The announced attendance at the Dolphins/Chargers game in LA was 25,381. :lol :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: September 17, 2017, 04:40:35 PM »
The announced attendance at the Dolphins/Chargers game in LA was 25,381. :lol :lol

So only 1,619 short of capacity? That's not so bad.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1046 on: September 17, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »

He is easily the worst head coach to ever win a Super Bowl.  He's a glorified OC.

Off the top of my head; uh Brian Billick? And he was an OC.  :lol
---

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1047 on: September 17, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »

So only 1,619 short of capacity? That's not so bad.
Yeah, considering they're playing out in the Styx and they're competing against the Rams, who's attendance looks much better than last week, that's not so terrible. Still a dipshit decision to move teams to LA, but this week wasn't a complete disaster.

Damn fine pass from the Ram's punter. I'm used to seeing ducks from those guys. And it seems the boy is now 8/13, 131 1-0 on his career.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: September 17, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »
Bizarre ending to the Chargers game.

Lol Cowboys and almost Lol Seahawks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: September 17, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
Denver's D is a beast.   So fast to close.  Their O is 9/12 on 3rd downs and that is impressive.