Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 209208 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2017, 05:07:06 AM »
That is very true.

I still can't picture N.Y JETS or Giants fans buy anything Patriots.

Me neither. I don't think that's the case at all. I think Giant and Jets (and Bills) fans are buying nothing and the marginal New England fanbase that resides in NY, people who want a relevant jersey for their Super Bowl party, Anti-Falcon fans that may want to wear a Pats jersey, and maybe just football fans who wanted the Pats to "Stick it to Goodell" may have bought them.

I mean yeah, some folks may want and get a Beckham Jr or McCoy jersey on their February B-day or something similar, but by and large, if a team is out of it, jersey sales don't pick up until new free agents are signed, a "stud" rookie is drafted, and the regular season approaches.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2017, 05:33:40 AM »
I do think there is a perception change on Brady the way Goodell and the office handled Deflategate and how since then they've handled all the Giants issues as an example. 

Plus how Brady has played in the 4th quarter of SB wins.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2017, 05:42:20 AM »
When we saw Iron Maiden in Phoenix in 1998, apparently I wore a Pats t shirt. Duding intermission (between Dio and Maiden) this dude comes up to me all psycho looking and he starts to roll up his sleeve to show me his tattoo (meanwhile my wife is like WTF??) and shows me his tattoo of a Pats helmet. We talk a bit, and turns out he is also from MA and he hands me his card. He was the President of the Arizona Chapter of the New England Patriots Fan Club.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:06 AM »
What did Kermit say at Jim Henson's funeral?

Nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
Every State, every state.  It's hard to believe.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/21/patriots-tom-brady-had-nfls-top-selling-jersey-in-february-in-all-50-states/

Well yeah....who buys jerseys in February?

Fans who want the special Super Bowl commemorative jersey, I would guess.

I almost bought a '9ers SB jersey a few years back.  It just wasn't in the budget at the time. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
Every State, every state.  It's hard to believe.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/21/patriots-tom-brady-had-nfls-top-selling-jersey-in-february-in-all-50-states/

Well yeah....who buys jerseys in February?

Fans who want the special Super Bowl commemorative jersey, I would guess.

I almost bought a '9ers SB jersey a few years back.  It just wasn't in the budget at the time.

Bingo, though some of those sales may also be from late January as well. I know I ordered a Torrey Smith SB47 commemorative jersey as soon as I could. Then maybe a year later, I found a Pitta one on sale at the mall.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2017, 09:16:57 AM »
Well, if you agree with that, then why were you essentially implying that it is only the bandwagon fans that would buy at that time?  :lol  I mean, I don't disagree that there are likely a lot who aren't necessarily fans of a team, and just jump on the bandwagon for whoever the champs are.  But you also have a lot of legit long-time fans who want the special jersey that literally did not exist before February.

Also:  Just thought of another likely segment of the Feb. jersey sales market, although not sure how big.  Parents of kids who weren't fans, but actually sat down to watch the game at the obligatory SB party and became fans, and then asked mom and dad for a jersey.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »
How about signing up for SI in time for the Swimsuit edition and getting a Pats Championship pack.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
Well, if you agree with that, then why were you essentially implying that it is only the bandwagon fans that would buy at that time?  :lol  I mean, I don't disagree that there are likely a lot who aren't necessarily fans of a team, and just jump on the bandwagon for whoever the champs are.  But you also have a lot of legit long-time fans who want the special jersey that literally did not exist before February.

Also:  Just thought of another likely segment of the Feb. jersey sales market, although not sure how big.  Parents of kids who weren't fans, but actually sat down to watch the game at the obligatory SB party and became fans, and then asked mom and dad for a jersey.

I didn't intend on implying that it was just bandwagon fans. Using New York as our example, the NY based Pat fans, frontrunners, people just wanting a jersey for a party etc would surely outnumber those buying for Giants, Jets and Bills for that month. Now if the Giants were in the SB... different story.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
I'm just shocked that this would happen in certain states.  Both Pennsylvania teams for example.   Both rabid fan bases.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2017, 10:01:21 AM »
I'm just shocked that this would happen in certain states.  Both Pennsylvania teams for example.   Both rabid fan bases.

Yeah, but I think I get the point DoC was making now.  Who buys jerseys in February?  Probably not a ton sold that time of year for 30 teams that are NOT in the SB.  I doubt Eagles and Steelers fans were buying around that time.  So when you combine the fact that those two fan bases were NOT buying their teams jerseys, and the fact that you DO have fans (even if in very modest numbers in those markets) buying Pats jerseys, it's not hard to see why the MVP won the sales battle.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Also add in that the time of year is typically when jerseys go on sale because the teams start changing and the jersey become irrelevant.  Something like a Brady jersey where you know he will be a Pat next year and you know he is one of the all time greats and off one of the all time greatest performances, you just know that Jersey is going to dominate the market regardless of location.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: March 22, 2017, 11:58:57 AM »

Yeah, but I think I get the point DoC was making now.  Who buys jerseys in February?  Probably not a ton sold that time of year for 30 teams that are NOT in the SB.  I doubt Eagles and Steelers fans were buying around that time.  So when you combine the fact that those two fan bases were NOT buying their teams jerseys, and the fact that you DO have fans (even if in very modest numbers in those markets) buying Pats jerseys, it's not hard to see why the MVP won the sales battle.

My point was there was so much hate for the Pats  (Gates and winning) that there seems to be less hate of late.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »
Not from this guy.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:14 PM »

My point was there was so much hate for the Pats  (Gates and winning) that there seems to be less hate of late.

I think that superbowl performance shut up a lot of the haters. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: March 22, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »

I think that superbowl performance shut up a lot of the haters. 
That, and the fact that a lot of us haters have just been so beaten down by the sheer amount of time the Pats have been on top and the sheer number if wins that we have resigned ourselves to the fact that it takes less energy to like them at this point than it does to hate on them.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »
I'll wear that like a badge of honor.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2017, 12:43:53 PM »
Part of my own past Pats hate was just that I was a really big Manning fan.  Now that he is done, there really isn't a reason to hate.  And I can truly appreciate just how much of an accomplishment it is to have had such prolonged success, so I have been converted to a reluctant fan.  I rooted for them against Seattle, although it was admittedly more a function of rooting against Seattle.  This last one, despite having a soft spot for Atlanta, I was rooting for the Pats.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »
I'll wear that like a badge of honor.  :lol

Yup, our work and is done here.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2017, 01:17:58 PM »
For me it's not that I stopped hating the Patriots. I will always despise everything about that team. It's just that I'm exhausted. I've seen the Jets lose and the Patriots win so many times that if I put anymore of my energy into caring, I will go insane.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
I remember a time when the Pats were one of the worst teams in the league year after year. The 85 season was sort of a fluke. They played solid defense, but their offense was nothing special. They got a lot better when Drew Bledsoe came along, but they couldn't get past an awesome Green Bay team in the 90's. So I don't begrudge their fan-base being able to enjoy a long run of success. Brady is one of the best of all time. I don't like the coach on the level of his personality(this extends back to his time in Cleveland, not really because of the "gates"), but once again, he's one of the best of all time.

Hats off to the Pats!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
I was there in the early 90's when there was 20,000 in the stadium.  The late 80's team was a good team.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2017, 03:21:27 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2017, 11:01:49 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2017, 11:47:06 AM »
 :lol

Sorry Atlanta.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »
Apparently the Patriots are meeting with Adrian Peterson today.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 03, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
Kicking tires I'm guessing.  I don't want him.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #202 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »
They've got so much depth there that I don't really see a role for him. Ideally he could just come in late in the game and beat the shit out of a tired line, but his fumbling makes that a risky proposition.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: April 03, 2017, 09:06:29 AM »
Makes no sense.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: April 03, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
They've got so much depth there that I don't really see a role for him. Ideally he could just come in late in the game and beat the shit out of a tired line, but his fumbling makes that a risky proposition.

The fumbling is a huge issue.  Sure is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #205 on: April 03, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
Only Patriots fans.  One of the best RBs of all time has a meeting.  "We don't need him, he's not good enough."  :lol

Obviously the coaching staff/management don't see the fumbling as a big issue, or they wouldn't even be meeting with him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
 :lol

The team is really a pass first team as you know Hef.  I think AP is still looking for touches.  Could he be O.K. with less touches to have a chance to win a ring?  All interesting questions.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: April 03, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
Only Patriots fans.  One of the best RBs of all time has a meeting.  "We don't need him, he's not good enough."  :lol

Obviously the coaching staff/management don't see the fumbling as a big issue, or they wouldn't even be meeting with him.

In fairness, they don't "need" him. They've won plenty without him. But I don't blame New England for bringing him in for a look.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
"Hey, LaGarrette, looks who's here."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »
"Hey, LaGarrette, looks who's here."

Take what we are offering LaGarrette.