Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 209214 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »
Defensive tackle Calais Campbell will sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars as previously reported, despite a late push by the Denver Broncos to get him to sign with their team instead.

"Chose Jags because Tom Coughlin is a winner, they brought in two other big free agents and they also have been drafting well the last few years. They are a young and hungry defense that I want to lead," he told ESPN's Josina Anderson.

No disrespect to Mr. Coughlin... but the Broncos, and John Elway are winners as well. But if he wants to lead a "younger" defense, so be it.

Speaking of Denver, I do like the Leary signing. Just what they needed.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
Wow! Texans banish Brock to Cleveland!
https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-18865511

Are they making Romo room?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2017, 02:16:50 PM »
Shame. I was hoping that number 12 would be heading NE to NE. Though I suppose it's still possible. If I understand correctly, they might have just been looking to gain some draft picks, but that's contingent on finding somebody willing to pay Osweiller.

edit: And on a side-note, how demoralizing must it be when your GM gives up a second round pick just to get you off of the team?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:29:12 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »
First Torrey Smith, and now  Alshon Jeffery. Eagles are giving Wentz plenty of weapons.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
Shame. I was hoping that number 12 would be heading NE to NE. Though I suppose it's still possible. If I understand correctly, they might have just been looking to gain some draft picks, but that's contingent on finding somebody willing to pay Osweiller.

edit: And on a side-note, how demoralizing must it be when your GM gives up a second round pick just to get you off of the team?

If I remember correctly, the owner for Houston pushed for Osweiller even though the GM and Coach and didn't want him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
Cleveland won't keep Osweiler, but I still chuckled today when I heard about them trading for him.

I read that NO said hell no to trading Cooks.  He wouldn't be a good Patriot anyway.  He pitched a fit last year in a game where he caught one ball and the Saints won huge.  He'd cry every game where he gets two targets and the Patriots win.

Philly needed some WRs who can catch, so those are great signings.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
Damn!

Cleveland's picks over the next two drafts now look like this:

2017: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6

2018: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7
And yet you still have to assume they'll be just as bad 4 years from now, except for having a beast of a DE whose soul has been crushed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »
Gonna be pretty hard for them to recover from that missing 2017 7th round pick though.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2017, 07:15:38 AM »
Damn!

Cleveland's picks over the next two drafts now look like this:

2017: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6

2018: 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7
And yet you still have to assume they'll be just as bad 4 years from now, except for having a beast of a DE whose soul has been crushed.

:lol Yes, somehow, they will still be bad...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »
New England got Cooks, and it didn't cost them Butler!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
The Pats have been ridiculously busy. For them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
And not doing the normal Pats thing. 

We will see about Butler.   Weird situation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »
They paid a fortune for that dude from the Bills. Very un-Belichick.

And yes, the Butler thing is weird.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2017, 05:24:40 AM »
Glad to see Julius Peppers back with the Panthers. He isn't the player he once was, but he still has enough juice to enhance our defense.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2017, 06:31:58 AM »
I'm not surprised that NE gave up what they did to get Cooks.  As a fantasy football player, I remember Cooks' stock going through the roof in August 2015 simply because Belichick said after a preseason game that he is happy they don't have to play Cooks twice a year; it was clear then that Belichick was very high on him as a player.  Cooks is a selfish diva, but if anyone can get him to calm down and accept a role as a team guy who might not catch a lot of balls some weeks, it's Belichick.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2017, 11:33:36 AM »
It always seemed to me that being a receiver on the Patriots requires a slightly different skillset. It seems to be the smart guys that run perfect routes that work out, and if Bill sees that in somebody that also has good YAC potential I'm pretty happy with it. What I'm not so crazy about is his contract. He costs next to nothing this year, but it's his last year. If he excels, and there's every reason to assume he will, this is probably a first round pick for a 1 year player. They could exercise his 5th year option, but the clock's ticking on that one.

Still, I'm liking the way this is all going so far. NE was the odds favorite to win again next year the day after the superbowl. They haven't gone backward and they might actually wind up being a better team when it's all said and one. If they keep Butler they will have replaced Logan Ryan with Gilmore and added a long ball threat.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
Glad to see Julius Peppers back with the Panthers. He isn't the player he once was

So you might say Peppers is a little um..salty?

:neverusethis:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
Talk is Pats trading Butler to N.O. for reciever Cooks.  Sounds like they couldn't come to a deal and want to get something in return. 

I don't like it at all.

Oh I'd love this deal for New England. Cooks would be a hell of a weapon for Brady, while Butler is replaceable, especially to someone like Coach Belichick.
Agreed. If they get Gilmore then they can go either way and neither would bother me. The truth is that Butler is going to cost more than he's willing to pay next year, so getting a good receiver for him now makes sense.

And besides, at this point how can anybody question Bill? It's gotten to the point that the bigger the deal the more excited I am for it, even if it seems to make no sense. If he cut Brady and signed Cutler I'd just assume he knows 3 things I don't and it'll all work out for the best.  :lol

edit: And valence can be either negative or beneficial to winning championships.

I've long ago given up worrying about Belicheck's defense.   They've survived - nay, thrived - after the loss of many great DBs including Talib, Revis... they'll survive without Butler, especially if he's playing diva.   He should know better at this point.    Other than Brady, and MAYBE Gronk, there are no stars on the Pats.  Hell, even Gronk is more a personality off the field than a "star" on the field. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »
With that offense they will always have a chance to get to the SB but the last 2 times they've own they had better than average defense.  Balance wins SB's.  Ask the Colts.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
And the Pats resigned Dont'a Hightower.  Now we'll see about the Bulter situation.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
And the Pats resigned Dont'a Hightower.  Now we'll see about the Bulter situation.

Ah, I was hoping the Steelers would get him, but I guess he was just using other teams for leverage?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »

Ah, I was hoping the Steelers would get him, but I guess he was just using other teams for leverage?
Yup. He and the Pats had been on good terms and neither side wanted him to leave. Rather than throwing out a lowball offer the Patriots just wait and see what other teams will offer, and then offer him a bit less. Plenty of players are just fine with that (Devon McQuarty) and some won't accept one cent less than everything (Derell Revis). I think Bill has a pretty good sense about who's going to play ball and who's not and that dictates how he handles the situation. I suspect that's why he never considered resigning Bennett. What GB paid him was actually pretty reasonable and the Patriots likely would have paid something fairly close.
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
Makes sense, I got excited for a minute yesterday when he visited Pittsburgh. That dude would have made a big difference on the Steelers D.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
So, Ezekiel Elliott...Man of the Year?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »
Makes sense, I got excited for a minute yesterday when he visited Pittsburgh. That dude would have made a big difference on the Steelers D.

They do need to find a replacement for JH soon, but I think that Bud Dupree is on the verge of becoming a star on the other side. Getting Cam back healthy along with Tuitt and Hargrave coming along should help the linebackers look a lot better.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »

They do need to find a replacement for JH soon, but I think that Bud Dupree is on the verge of becoming a star on the other side. Getting Cam back healthy along with Tuitt and Hargrave coming along should help the linebackers look a lot better.

I think they need a good inside LB partner for Shazier, IMO Hightower could have been that. Outside LB and D-line don't concern me as much at the moment.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »

Boob of the year?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »

Boob of the year?

:lol :lol

I've noticed it is barely being talked about on the major sports networks.  I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry Jones used his power to shut down talk of it, so his star RB gets a pass for what was technically, from a legal standpoint, assaulting a woman.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
 :rollin  JJ doesn't have the power to shut down the sports media.  I'm sure there's a lot more interesting things to talk about besides Zeke not being able to keep his hands off a woman who's already trying to expose herself anyway.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
I'm surprised the Giants were able to keep JPP  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
JJ doesn't have the power to shut down the sports media.  I'm sure there's a lot more interesting things to talk about besides Zeke not being able to keep his hands off a woman who's already trying to expose herself anyway.

JJ probably put him up to it!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
I'm surprised the Giants were able to keep JPP  :metal

Agreed. John Peter Petrucci belongs in NY for life.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline dparrott

« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
Raiders are looking to sign Marshawn Lynch! haha
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2017, 07:13:44 PM »
The Raiders have been the NFL's senior league for the last 15 years.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2017, 09:03:49 PM »
The Raiders have been the NFL's senior league for the last 15 years.
Longer than that, I think! :lol