Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 210886 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #735 on: August 11, 2017, 12:20:22 PM »
On the EE suspension - let's remember this certainly isn't the first time the NFL has suspended a player based solely on allegations that never even went to court. Sounds about right to me.

The suspension doesn't bother me one bit.  I used to be a big NASCAR fan, and one of the unwritten rules was to let drivers handle their own disagreements.  One driver wrecks another, then the "victim" wrecks the aggressor the next week.  Business was settled and everyone was even.  But when drivers started prolonging their feuds, the sanctioning body/league would sit them down and have a conversation that went like this:

YOU NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED YOU.

The NFL needs to implement this, but there's a lot of other factors that can prevent it in the players union, agents, contracts, etc.  Essentially, the NFL needs to find a way to teach these players that putting yourselves into a situation that can embarrass themselves, their teams, and the league can lead to a suspension or the end of their career.  I like that Goodell is trying to show the players that they need to behave like role models, even if he is inconsistent in enforcement.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #736 on: August 11, 2017, 12:38:52 PM »
I know there was an issue where he was caught up in something at a nigthclub that he very likely had nothing whatsoever to do with. And there was the issue of him pulling the girls top down at a parade. I think where there's a problem is that he was apparently called into Lil Rog's office for the "come to Jesus" speech, and immediately left to go tear it up in a club somewhere. That's the sort of thing that'll piss an employer off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #737 on: August 11, 2017, 12:41:24 PM »
On the EE suspension - let's remember this certainly isn't the first time the NFL has suspended a player based solely on allegations that never even went to court. Sounds about right to me.

The suspension doesn't bother me one bit.  I used to be a big NASCAR fan, and one of the unwritten rules was to let drivers handle their own disagreements.  One driver wrecks another, then the "victim" wrecks the aggressor the next week.  Business was settled and everyone was even.  But when drivers started prolonging their feuds, the sanctioning body/league would sit them down and have a conversation that went like this:

YOU NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED YOU.

The NFL needs to implement this, but there's a lot of other factors that can prevent it in the players union, agents, contracts, etc.  Essentially, the NFL needs to find a way to teach these players that putting yourselves into a situation that can embarrass themselves, their teams, and the league can lead to a suspension or the end of their career.  I like that Goodell is trying to show the players that they need to behave like role models, even if he is inconsistent in enforcement.

Yeah, the Carl Edwards vs. BK deal a few years back is a great example of them taking it too far. Great analogy.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #738 on: August 11, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »
6 gamed sounds about right, given Goodell's history. 

If he has a clue, this will be a wakeup call for Elliot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: August 11, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »
I don't know the details but from my understanding he hasn't been charged with a crime and to me that makes 6 games harsh. 2 sounds right to me, and maybe they do lower his sentence so it works out alright.

Granted I'm a giants fan so I'm cool with it on that level

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #740 on: August 11, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
After reading the full report I have no problem with the suspension or the length. This guy needs a slap in the face.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/11/ezekiel-elliott-suspension-cowboys-domestic-violence

Also, what the hell are the bills thinking getting rid of Watkins?

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #741 on: August 11, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »

All that I can think is that he seems to be injury prone.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #742 on: August 11, 2017, 01:02:40 PM »
I don't know the details but from my understanding he hasn't been charged with a crime and to me that makes 6 games harsh. 2 sounds right to me, and maybe they do lower his sentence so it works out alright.

6 games is on par with what they have done in some similar situations in the past I think. Sure, he will appeal and probably get less.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: August 11, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »

6 games is on par with what they have done in some similar situations in the past I think. Sure, he will appeal and probably get less.

Yea, I just think in general if you aren't charged with a crime than 6 is excessive.  Im ok with some sort of punishment though, which is why I think 2 is OK.  But then again, Im just stating based only from legally being charged.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #744 on: August 11, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »

Yea, I just think in general if you aren't charged with a crime than 6 is excessive.  Im ok with some sort of punishment though, which is why I think 2 is OK.  But then again, Im just stating based only from legally being charged.

Oh I totally agree with you, I was just saying 6 aligns with what they (NFL) have done before.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: August 11, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
LOVE the addition of Sammy Watkins to my Rams!  We now have a true #1, which will make everyone else better ;)  McVay isn't messing around, and with Wade on the other side of the ball we might surprise some folks this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #746 on: August 11, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »

I believe Watkins is a free agent next year (restricted maybe?), and the Bills probably figured he wasn't going to stay. Plus, he has been hurt so much that he has not earned his contract, so unloading it off their books probably helps. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: August 11, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »

I believe Watkins is a free agent next year (restricted maybe?), and the Bills probably figured he wasn't going to stay. Plus, he has been hurt so much that he has not earned his contract, so unloading it off their books probably helps. 
I believe the team had a 5th year option, and they opted out. So they are unloading him for more than the compensatory pick they would've received when he left.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #748 on: August 11, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »

I believe the team had a 5th year option, and they opted out. So they are unloading him for more than the compensatory pick they would've received when he left.

Ah, that makes sense, then.  :tup :tup

I have heard good thing about Zay Jones, the Bills rookie WR, and with Anquan Boldin there to mentor him, Watkins became expendable.  Plus, they did get Jordan Matthews, who drops a lot of balls, but can make plays.  That could be a good trio of WRs.

Offline Cable

« Reply #749 on: August 12, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »

---

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #750 on: August 12, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #751 on: August 12, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
 :lol

Does Dak like 'em soft? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online PowerSlave

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #753 on: August 13, 2017, 09:42:14 AM »
Yawn.

Let's keep this about football.  That is my thought anyway.  :tup :tup

Offline Cable

« Reply #754 on: August 13, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
Yawn.

Let's keep this about football.  That is my thought anyway.  :tup :tup

Agreed.
---

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: August 13, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »
Jason Witten's heir apparent, Rico Gathers is a beast of a man. Still a little raw, but if developed properly, can be the next big thing in the league.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #756 on: August 13, 2017, 08:14:42 PM »
LOVE the addition of Sammy Watkins to my Rams!  We now have a true #1, which will make everyone else better ;)  McVay isn't messing around, and with Wade on the other side of the ball we might surprise some folks this year.

Yea hopefully.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #757 on: August 13, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
Jason Witten's heir apparent, Rico Gathers is a beast of a man. Still a little raw, but if developed properly, can be the next big thing in the league.

I've heard good things about him. Witten is still good, but is approaching the end, so they need a new TE to step up.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #758 on: August 14, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
The only thing I don't like about JW is his lack of yards after the catch.  Seems like he's so easy to bring down in recent years.  Still, so many other things he does very well.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #759 on: August 14, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
You know you're in trouble for the season when the headline the morning after the first preseason game is 'QBs Manage Not to Embarass Themselves in Preseason Opener" :lol

:(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #760 on: August 14, 2017, 03:37:25 PM »
You know you're in trouble for the season when the headline the morning after the first preseason game is 'QBs Manage Not to Embarass Themselves in Preseason Opener" :lol

:(
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online PowerSlave

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #762 on: August 18, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
I think it is usually like 5 teams from the playoffs miss them the following year.

Dallas
Atlanta
Seattle
Green Bay
NY Giants
Detroit
New England
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
Houston
Oakland
Miami

Who do you think the most likely of those 5 are to miss this year?

I will say:

Miami
Detroit
Houston
Oakland
Atlanta

5 teams most likely to rise up this year and make it:

Tampa Bay (I think they win the South)
Tennnessee
Philadelphia
Minnesota
Denver (homer pick  :biggrin:)

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #763 on: August 18, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »
I think all of your miss picks are spot on with Atlanta being the exception. I think that they win the division, and host a wild card game. TB is a year or two away, NO is a floundering joke and Cam Newton is damaged goods. The division is Atlanta's for the taking.

And if Denver can settle their line issues from last year, they have the opportunity to be a pretty damn good team.

I'd also say that Dallas is very much in danger of the "sophomore slump", and they could easily miss the play-offs. Philly and NYG could present a serious challenge to them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #764 on: August 18, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
I picked Atlanta because of the Super Bowl hangover thing. They have a lot of young talent, so it won't surprise me if they make the playoffs again. Their offense won't be as good, though.  After having that career year, Matt Ryan likely goes back to being what he always was (the 9th to 12th best QB in the NFL).

I think TB's time is now.  Their defense started to get good down the stretch last year, and their offense looks loaded this year.  Winston is the key, and I think he will be good enough for them to win 10-11 games.

I said that Denver was a homer pick and it totally was. I actually fear they are going to have a down year under a new coach and with the QB situation in flux. Unlike some teams (*cough* New England *cough*), they don't play in a shitty division where they can coast to winning it from the start.  The Chiefs should still be good, the Chargers are getting better, and the Raiders might be better this year (while having a worse record).  Having an above .500 divisional record in the AFC West this year will be a major accomplishment.

The Giants should be a playoff team again, but that o-line of theirs will be their downfall.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #765 on: August 19, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
I said that Denver was a homer pick and it totally was. I actually fear they are going to have a down year under a new coach and with the QB situation in flux. Unlike some teams (*cough* New England *cough*), they don't play in a shitty division where they can coast to winning it from the start.  The Chiefs should still be good, the Chargers are getting better, and the Raiders might be better this year (while having a worse record).  Having an above .500 divisional record in the AFC West this year will be a major accomplishment.

I haven't kept up with things out west very much lately, so I might be completely off the mark, but I wouldn't want to be in the Chargers or Raiders shoes right now. Stability seems like it would be such an important component to success in a league as competitive as the NFL, and when I think about both teams situations all I can think of is some kind of turmoil bubbling just below the surface. Both teams feel like they're homeless to me with what they're going through.

On the other hand, Denver and KC have great stadiums and a rabid fan-base. It remains to be seen how the fans in Oakland will react to the impending move, and the fans in LA have already shown their lack of interest in pro football over the long term. The only professional sports franchise that I can think of that has had major success coupled with a disinterested fan-base is the Florida Marlins. I'm still amazed that the ownership of the Rams and Chargers were stupid enough to go back there. It's like dating your ex.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #766 on: August 21, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
Stability at the QB position is super important, too, and that is the one thing the Broncos do not have right now that the other AFC West teams do. Siemien is the starter, as he should be, and he will be good, but his upside is limited.

In other news, Beckham is hurt.  We'll see how bad it is.  Oh, and the Giants o-line is still complete trash.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #767 on: August 21, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »
Sounds bad for Beckham.  I hope not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #768 on: August 22, 2017, 03:10:59 PM »
I'd also say that Dallas is very much in danger of the "sophomore slump", and they could easily miss the play-offs. Philly and NYG could present a serious challenge to them.

You know, this just seems like an anti Dallas comment without really knowing all the components they have in place to continue the success they had last year.  It wasn't just the Dak and Zeke show and they were no ordinary rookies.  They were surrounded by a cast of damn good players and the O-line will still be one of the best this year.  Not to mention some improvements defensively.  You know, a team.  That's what it takes to win.  So yeah, is there a possibility of a slump this year?  Maybe.  That's goes for just about any team.  But "very much in danger"?  That simply isn't true.  Even with Zeke out the first few games, they have plenty of running talent to back him up.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: August 22, 2017, 03:26:30 PM »
the fans in LA have already shown their lack of interest in pro football over the long term.
How you figure??  Rams were 2nd in the NFL in home game attendance last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/attendance.htm