Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211049 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #525 on: May 18, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
The Steelers just cut Ladarius Green for a failed physical. Not a hugely surprising move, but they didn't address the position in the draft. Jesse James is a capable TE, but I'm not sold on him being a full time starter.

Yup, it's definitely a gap for them in what is an otherwise stacked offense.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: May 23, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #527 on: May 23, 2017, 02:42:20 PM »
Seems like Rodger is addressing the important things.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #528 on: May 23, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »

No green text?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #529 on: May 23, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »

No green text?
:lol

My bad, I'll try again -

Definitely being sarcastic.  :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #530 on: May 23, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »

No green text?

My bad, I'll try again -

Don't feel bad. There's been a few times that I should have used it, and forgot as well.  :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #531 on: May 23, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »
OBJ skipping NYG OTA's again.  What a clown.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #532 on: May 23, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »
He's laying on a net somewhere.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #533 on: May 23, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »
 :rollin  Concussion protocol due to an altercation with a net.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #534 on: May 24, 2017, 09:01:23 PM »

No green text?

My bad, I'll try again -

At least this is a more positive rule change. It allows players to enjoy themselves while also trying keeping the game respectful. The shortened OT in the regular season, elimination of the first round of roster cuts, and addition of medical tents on the sidelines are also great rule changes. Everyone shits all over Goodell for all of the bad decisions he has made (myself included) so why not give him credit when he does something right?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #535 on: May 24, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
Shortened OT is a bad thing. No game should ever end in a tie. Play til somebody wins the damn game.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #536 on: May 24, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »
I'm perfectly fine with ties. They're a unique oddity like scoring safeties and Browns wins. Also, games are long enough as it is so it sucks to see players having even more chances to get injured or being in worse shape for the next game due to exacerbated fatigue, especially if the OT game is right before a Thursday game.

One ironic thing is that tie games actually break ties for teams' final records better than any actual tiebreaking procedure except for rare cases of two teams with ties in their records finishing with identical records.

Also, since the implementation of OT to regular season games, only three seasons have had two tied games (1986, 1997, and 2016) and all others have had one or less. We're talking about something that has occurred less than 1% of the time, at most, in any season over the last 43 years. Even with the "OMFG the Saints beat Brett Favre!" frantic OT format change of 2012, we've still only had five ties in five seasons which is less than 0.4% of those 1280 games played.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #537 on: May 25, 2017, 06:24:51 AM »

No green text?

My bad, I'll try again -

At least this is a more positive rule change. It allows players to enjoy themselves while also trying keeping the game respectful. The shortened OT in the regular season, elimination of the first round of roster cuts, and addition of medical tents on the sidelines are also great rule changes. Everyone shits all over Goodell for all of the bad decisions he has made (myself included) so why not give him credit when he does something right?

I would be GLAD to give him credit where credit is due.  One, I'm not sure he's the guy for "rule changes" - isn't there a committee that reviews and suggests the changes, then the owners vote on them?  So there's that.  And two, I'm with El Barto.   Play until there is a winner.  As for "elimination of first round roster cuts", I have to be honest, I'm not seeing the plusses and minuses of that one just yet.   I'm sure there's a money grab in there somewhere, or some union concession, but if it's the latter, where's the net gain for the fans or the league?   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #538 on: May 25, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with ties. They're a unique oddity like scoring safeties and Browns wins. Also, games are long enough as it is so it sucks to see players having even more chances to get injured or being in worse shape for the next game due to exacerbated fatigue, especially if the OT game is right before a Thursday game.

One ironic thing is that tie games actually break ties for teams' final records better than any actual tiebreaking procedure except for rare cases of two teams with ties in their records finishing with identical records.

Also, since the implementation of OT to regular season games, only three seasons have had two tied games (1986, 1997, and 2016) and all others have had one or less. We're talking about something that has occurred less than 1% of the time, at most, in any season over the last 43 years. Even with the "OMFG the Saints beat Brett Favre!" frantic OT format change of 2012, we've still only had five ties in five seasons which is less than 0.4% of those 1280 games played.
Your point about ties being a tie-breaker down the road is pretty interesting. Haven't considered that before. However, they're breaking ties that might not have even happened if there had been a W/L in somebody's column. The frequency with which they occur doesn't matter. Once is too many. Moreover, they're all but insuring that there will be more now going forward, and it's completely unnecessary. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: May 25, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
The relative rareness is, for me, the reason why you get rid of it.  It's not as if every Sunday football players are going to be playing hours and hours of extra football. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #540 on: May 25, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
I always thought that the NCAA's way of handling overtime in football games was better than the NFL. The NFL did greatly improve upon things the last time they updated their rules, though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: May 25, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »
I always thought that the NCAA's way of handling overtime in football games was better than the NFL. The NFL did greatly improve upon things the last time they updated their rules, though.

I like the NCAA as well just because it's more exciting, but it's not really the same as playing a quarter of football which makes the OT not really a different type of game so I wouldn't push the NFL to do that.  Unless they go the hockey route and do the NCAA route for the regualr season (and therefore not have ties) and keep playing for the playoffs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #542 on: May 25, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »

No green text?

My bad, I'll try again -

I would be GLAD to give him credit where credit is due.  One, I'm not sure he's the guy for "rule changes" - isn't there a committee that reviews and suggests the changes, then the owners vote on them?  So there's that.  And two, I'm with El Barto.   Play until there is a winner.  As for "elimination of first round roster cuts", I have to be honest, I'm not seeing the plusses and minuses of that one just yet.   I'm sure there's a money grab in there somewhere, or some union concession, but if it's the latter, where's the net gain for the fans or the league?

Yeah I'm pretty much with Stadler on this one. If you (CountofNYC) think these are positive changes, more power to you. I'm just (1) not seeing these as positive (not really negative either, just kinda meh) and (2) not sure Rodger should get all the credit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: May 25, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
Shootout!

Play a quarter, then have field goals at five yard intervals until someone misses!   

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #544 on: May 25, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
Shootout!

Play a quarter, then have field goals at five yard intervals until someone misses!

Only if each team has to choose three different players that aren't kickers. We could have some Yackety Sax shit going on at the end of games, and it might actually improve ratings...  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #545 on: May 25, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
Shootout!

Only if each team has to choose three different players that aren't kickers. We could have some Yackety Sax shit going on at the end of games, and it might actually improve ratings...  :lol

Upon further reflection I'd love that. I'd bet a fiver Bill has four or five players cross-trained to kick FG's. Hell, Edelman was probably a kicker at some point in his life anyway, between side-gigs in soccer and Australian rules football.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #546 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
EB, Nate Ebner played Rugby for the USA Olympic team in 2016.

You know BB is all for it. :lol

Also, Flutie drop kick.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: May 25, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
I actually don't hate the idea of play a 10 minute quarter (I'd rather 15 but I'll compromise) and do a kicking contest to break a tie.  It might make teams play pretty differently if it came down to kickers where the team with the worse kicker would start playing aggressive to win instead of two teams just settling for a tie because no one wants to lose.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #548 on: May 25, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
Also, Flutie drop kick.

I remember something about that, but none of the details. Didn't they invoke some sort of obscure rule that nobody had used in several years, or something along those lines?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #549 on: May 25, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
Also, Flutie drop kick.

I remember something about that, but none of the details. Didn't they invoke some sort of obscure rule that nobody had used in several years, or something along those lines?
It was just a never used option. Sort of like the fair catch free kick. The game was meaningless and was very likely Flutie's last to play in. Belichick knew that it hadn't been done in ages and offered Flutie the chance. He saw it as a gesture of respect for Flutie's career. Flutie made the kick and is now known as the last  person to do it in 75 years, and the last person ever since the play was removed from the rule book not too long ago.

edit: https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2277308
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3EaLfpZjaw
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:46:29 PM by El Barto »
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #550 on: May 25, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
Shootout!

No, I say let the punters kick from their own 40. Whichever team's punter can put it out of bounds closest to the goal line wins.  :corn

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: May 26, 2017, 06:36:07 AM »
That's a cool option; I would be okay with that (and it's sort of in keeping with Belichick's ethos of using the grinders and deep roster players to win, as opposed to the "Superstars" who don't win squat. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #552 on: May 26, 2017, 06:37:28 AM »
I say we judge which team has the hottest cheerleaders.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: May 26, 2017, 06:51:20 AM »

The Giants need cheerleaders first

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:47 AM »
Not a bad idea.

Since this certainly isn't going to win any games (this football isn't even going in the general direction of the goalposts, let alone THROUGH them):

At least they'll have a chance with this:

I clicked on one of those "You'll never believe these 10 epic cheerleader fails!" things, and there was a picture of a Jag cheerleader and she may be the second most beautiful woman I've ever seen.   But I can't find the exact picture, so this one will do.   

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #555 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »

You're just asking for the Browns to be doomed to further failure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #556 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:03 AM »

Has 0-16 written all over it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #557 on: May 26, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »

Has 0-16 written all over it!

That might actually be an upgrade!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #558 on: May 26, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
Your point about ties being a tie-breaker down the road is pretty interesting. Haven't considered that before. However, they're breaking ties that might not have even happened if there had been a W/L in somebody's column.

The fact remains that having a tie in your record is far less likely to have your record matching that of another team.

The frequency with which they occur doesn't matter. Once is too many.

In your opinion, yes, but your opinion isn't fact so this statement has nothing to do with a credible debate.

Moreover, they're all but insuring that there will be more now going forward, and it's completely unnecessary.

Maybe, maybe not. First, you might wanna try to hunt down stats on how many OT games reach the 5:00 remaining mark and then realize that number will likely be reduced by a good, if not great, amount when teams are faced with the reality of a tie 5:00 earlier than they'd have been in years past. Teams not willing to settle for a tie will be more aggressive in the waning minutes of OT no matter how long the period is and obviously more so than they'd be if they thought they still had 5:00 left to work with.

Yeah, the shorter the OT, the less chance for a tie to be broken but 10:00 is still plenty of time. Also, you're still gonna get the occasional instance of a team being okay with a tie for whatever reason (far inferior team just desperate to avoid a loss to a team they had no business taking to overtime in the first place so they're just happy to avoid a loss in a game they have little confidence in themselves to win or a team that has the #1 seed wrapped up already and just wants to get out without risking further injury.)

I'm not agreeing with their decision to conservatively play for a tie either but rather I'm pointing out how the length of the OT, alone, doesn't specifically affect the outcome that severely in scenarios like that.

Lastly, I think the college OT rules taint single season scoring records. The same player could possibly get two or more TDs in the same sequence of OTs in a single game and a team could very possibly go to OT twice or more in the same season and we could see seldom-broken records like receiving TDs in a season being reset numerous times in a fairly short span of seasons before plateauing, all because of a more advantageous amount of time to work with.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:43:48 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #559 on: May 27, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »

Lastly, I think the college OT rules taint single season scoring records. The same player could possibly get two or more TDs in the same sequence of OTs in a single game and a team could very possibly go to OT twice or more in the same season and we could see seldom-broken records like receiving TDs in a season being reset numerous times in a fairly short span of seasons before plateauing, all because of a more advantageous amount of time to work with.

I could not agree more.

I always think it's terrible to see a 13-13 college game end up 42-40 thanks to their ridiculous OT system.