Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 210587 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #385 on: April 27, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
As to ESPN's coverage.....

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/04/26/espn-layoffs-firings-list-details
Death throes, hopefully. It's time for ESPN to go.

The internet is the large factor killing ESPN, but once they started adding their political commentary to sports, I think they hammered the nail in their own coffin.  No one wants that.
Since I don't watch any of it I can't speak to its apparent MTVification. I'm mostly going by its effect on the already unsustainable CATV model. If it curls up and dies it'll foster an even bigger shift in the broadcasting landscape, I figure. At this point CATV is a dinosaur, but the packaged streaming model isn't going to be any better. An a la carte CATV competing with packaged streaming seems like the best bet going forward (although big cable can likely kill that sort of competition).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #386 on: April 27, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
As to ESPN's coverage.....

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/04/26/espn-layoffs-firings-list-details
Death throes, hopefully. It's time for ESPN to go.

The internet is the large factor killing ESPN, but once they started adding their political commentary to sports, I think they hammered the nail in their own coffin.  No one wants that.
Since I don't watch any of it I can't speak to its apparent MTVification. I'm mostly going by its effect on the already unsustainable CATV model. If it curls up and dies it'll foster an even bigger shift in the broadcasting landscape, I figure. At this point CATV is a dinosaur, but the packaged streaming model isn't going to be any better. An a la carte CATV competing with packaged streaming seems like the best bet going forward (although big cable can likely kill that sort of competition).

Making my once-yearly comment in this thread:

The MTV-ification or even the subjective political stuff isn't the issue...it's the cord-cutting, combined with the massive, unsustainable contracts to air NFL games and such.  And if ESPN folds, or simply can't renew, it changes the demand curve and therefore the pricing for the rights to air the games.  Since those massive rights deals are what drive massive athlete contracts, do player salaries stagnate?  Or even drop?  There's a bubble that will have no choice but to burst here, and that is a far more interesting angle  than ESPN continuing to circle the drain.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #387 on: April 27, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
Yeah, cord-cutting is the big thing.  Fees for ESPN are built right into most cable packages, because they have the highest fees to charge providers of any cable network.  Those fees help them have enough money to pay for all the rights to the sporting events for which they won bids.

With the continued trend of cord-cutting, their income is being cut right out from under them.  Sorry guys, it was kind of an asshole business model in the first place, so figure out something different.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: April 27, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
Yea cord cutting is definitely #1, but people arent watching ESPN anymore either.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #389 on: April 27, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
NFL will be well insulated, since it's still broadcast networks that air most of the games. Baseball and hockey will be a different matter, but I suppose the effect will just be a fracturing, which could conceivably be even better than having only one player.

Cord-cutting, which big capable still doesn't recognize as a real thing, is certainly leading the change. This would be a secondary front, I think. For all of the people who bitch about ESPN jacking up their cable prices, there are those that only buy cable for ESPN. This whole thing's been brewing for a while, and while we've seen some real changes I don't think we're anywhere close to the final landscape. Net Partiality is now going to open up a front, as well.

Making my once-yearly comment in this thread:
Then it should have been Patriots related, God dammit.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #390 on: April 27, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »
It doesn't take a genius to figure out who ESPN's target audience is now.  Let's put it this way: they slip politics into far too many conversations now, all they talk about is football and basketball, and they are in love with Stephen A. Smith and Jemele Hill.  Do the math.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: April 27, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »
It doesn't take a genius to figure out who ESPN's target audience is now.  Let's put it this way: they slip politics into far too many conversations now, all they talk about is football and basketball, and they are in love with Stephen A. Smith and Jemele Hill.  Do the math.
And Michael Smith and Howard Bryant. Yeah, some claim Boston is a racist city, and they are two of Boston's biggest racists!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #392 on: April 27, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »
Hooray for whatever the Bears and Titans were thinking, very happy that Jamal Adams was waiting for us at six.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: April 27, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
Well it's a very small sample size, but I have to be happy with John Lynch so far. The Niners got quite a haul of draft picks from the Bears to move down one spot and still get the player they wanted.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: April 28, 2017, 04:24:57 AM »
Well it's a very small sample size, but I have to be happy with John Lynch so far. The Niners got quite a haul of draft picks from the Bears to move down one spot and still get the player they wanted.

Agreed. That was a hell of of move, especially if they had the Bears convinced that they were going to take Mitch @2.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #395 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:19 AM »
I was pleased with the Panthers pick.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #396 on: April 28, 2017, 08:39:05 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the steeler's pick. I watch mostly Big10 in college, and I think that Watt is ok, but I never seen anything from him that would indicate that he's 1st round material.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline T-ski

« Reply #397 on: April 28, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the steeler's pick. I watch mostly Big10 in college, and I think that Watt is ok, but I never seen anything from him that would indicate that he's 1st round material.

only question mark surrounding Watt are his knees, he's had issues with them throughout his college career.  If the knees hold up I have no doubt you'll be very happy.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:23:12 AM by T-ski »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: April 28, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
Giants got a need (not their biggest need) based on best available.  I'm cool with the TE pick. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #399 on: April 28, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »

Agreed. That was a hell of of move, especially if they had the Bears convinced that they were going to take Mitch @2.

It's not that the 49'ers convinced the Bears that they wanted to draft him.  It's that they were actively shopping their #2 pick to teams that needed QB's that WOULD have traded up ahead of the Bears and drafted him. 

So yeah, the Bears gave away quite a few picks, which is debatable, but they made sure that they got the player that they wanted to draft.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: April 28, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »

It's not that the 49'ers convinced the Bears that they wanted to draft him.  It's that they were actively shopping their #2 pick to teams that needed QB's that WOULD have traded up ahead of the Bears and drafted him. 

So yeah, the Bears gave away quite a few picks, which is debatable, but they made sure that they got the player that they wanted to draft.

Yeah, I realized that moments after posting, but didn't feel like editing. But I'm surprised the Bears bought it. Would the Texans and Chiefs be willing to go all the way up to two from where they were?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #401 on: April 28, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19264404/commissioner-roger-goodell-says-nfl-sees-no-medical-benefits-marijuana

A comment I saw on facebook regarding this "Just when you think you couldn't hate Goodell anymore, then he TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF!"  :lol

Honestly, marijuana isn't going to heal players, but it's definitely better for long term pain than prescription pills IMO.  Plus it's already legal in many states plus I'm sure players are using it where it's not legal anyway (not that it makes it OK, but at some point you need to look in the mirror and understand where we are trending towards).

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #402 on: April 28, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19264404/commissioner-roger-goodell-says-nfl-sees-no-medical-benefits-marijuana

A comment I saw on facebook regarding this "Just when you think you couldn't hate Goodell anymore, then he TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF!"  :lol

Honestly, marijuana isn't going to heal players, but it's definitely better for long term pain than prescription pills IMO.  Plus it's already legal in many states plus I'm sure players are using it where it's not legal anyway (not that it makes it OK, but at some point you need to look in the mirror and understand where we are trending towards).

If Goodell was smart, he'd use pot as a bargaining tool for the next CBA. There are soooo many things the players union should have legit issues with moving forward (like Goodell being judge, jury, and executioner all wrapped in one) but Goodell could probably manage to avoid all that by basically taking pot off the banned substances list.

"Here guys how about this - we don't fix any of these other issues, you let me keep all my power but...... you can smoke pot!" Done deal.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #403 on: April 28, 2017, 02:12:16 PM »

If Goodell was smart, he'd use pot as a bargaining tool for the next CBA. There are soooo many things the players union should have legit issues with moving forward (like Goodell being judge, jury, and executioner all wrapped in one) but Goodell could probably manage to avoid all that by basically taking pot off the banned substances list.

"Here guys how about this - we don't fix any of these other issues, you let me keep all my power but...... you can smoke pot!" Done deal.

It would probably be good for the NFL from a PR standpoint as well.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #404 on: April 28, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »

It would probably be good for the NFL from a PR standpoint as well.

Exactly. Think how many less suspensions for banned substances there would be if pot wasn't one of them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #405 on: April 28, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »
I am shocked that the Bengals were the team that took the RB who was seen on video once punching a woman, say no one ever. 

You seriously can't make this stuff up. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #406 on: April 29, 2017, 01:53:25 PM »
I am shocked that the Bengals were the team that took the RB who was seen on video once punching a woman, say no one ever. 

They were in the market for Aaron Hernandez too but then he took himself out of the running.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #407 on: April 29, 2017, 02:03:06 PM »

They were in the market for Aaron Hernandez too but then he took himself out of the running.

Actually, I heard that he had trouble getting both feet down.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: April 29, 2017, 05:03:29 PM »
I am impressed with the Broncos' draft. Possibly the best offensive lineman, possibly the best tight end....and Chad Kelly at the end....tremendous upside if he can grow up off the field and recover from his injury. Old John did Uncle Jim a favor.

Philadelphia was an amazing site for the draft....really rose the bar for drafts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #409 on: April 29, 2017, 06:46:19 PM »
I don't watch enough college ball to know how good these players, but hopefully that tackle from Utah pans out; they need their o-line to get better fast.

Like seeing two WRs drafted.  Behind Sanders and Thomas, the drop-off is significant, and Thomas has not lived up to his contract the last two years, so they need some young blood to step up and contribute.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #410 on: May 01, 2017, 06:49:09 AM »
So I finally caught up on what the Steelers did. Little Watt in the first, if he pans out, would be a great pick, they need some OL pressure. The WR they took in the second seems to be pretty good, should give Ben a 3rd or 4th good option. And James Conner is a fantastic story, love to see that kid get picked in the 3rd, his style should be pretty good with Bell. Conner is more of a north - south downhill guy, they could easily use him on 3rd and short or goal line situations, or as a FB with Bell as RB.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #411 on: May 01, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »
I was very pleased with the Panthers Draft.

And, actually, from what I've seen, for once it seems that MOST teams had pretty good draft grades, with only a few clunkers.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: May 01, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »
So, the Bills fire their GM and scouting staff the day after the draft.  That's something one doesn't read about every year (often? ever?).

Now that the draft is over (thank goodness), I'll start reading up on it a bit.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
How did the Browns do in the draft?  :rollin  They get some of the best draft picks every year and nothing happens.  Must be a coaching thing.   :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »
I think they probably did "OK" in the draft, but they will still suck next season because there is not much talent there to begin with.

Assuming their GM and coaching staff are on the same page and worth a crap (which is, admittedly, a large assumption), I would think they are still 2 or 3 years away from being adequate.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
u
How did the Browns do in the draft?  :rollin  They get some of the best draft picks every year and nothing happens.  Must be a coaching thing.   :justjen

Coach is beginning his 2nd year with the team...

It was a front office thing...and that has been rectified.  They have had fantastic 2 drafts and they are 2-3 years away from contending.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #416 on: May 01, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
I'm not sure they are 2-3 years away from winning a game.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: May 01, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
Every year they are 2-3 years away

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #418 on: May 01, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »
u

It was a front office thing...and that has been rectified.  They have had fantastic 2 drafts and they are 2-3 years away from contending.

:lol  Someone needs to change that to "sometime between now and the end of time."
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #419 on: May 02, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
u

Hope springs eternal, and I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think this is wildly optimistic.