Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 210903 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #350 on: April 23, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Well then you could say the lack of balance affected the D. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:37 PM »
From what I saw, I thought Siemian was pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #352 on: April 24, 2017, 08:31:33 AM »
Mexico City is NOT a neutral location when the Raiders are playing. They and los vacaros are the two main teams down there. The Patriots are going to have beer thrown all over them and lasers pointed at them. They'd probably be better off playing in Oakland.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #353 on: April 24, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
Mexico City is NOT a neutral location when the Raiders are playing. They and los vacaros are the two main teams down there. The Patriots are going to have beer thrown all over them and lasers pointed at them. They'd probably be better off playing in Oakland.

I always got the impression that Dallas was a popular team in Mexico. I remember watching a preseason game (I think) a few years back, and that was the feeling that I got, anyways.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #354 on: April 25, 2017, 03:51:43 PM »
My family and I just got our tickets for Giants @ Broncos on Sunday Night Football this season. Really stoked to get out there again, I was there for Monday Night Football when they played Houston last year and that stadium is just magical at night.  :metal

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: April 25, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
My family and I just got our tickets for Giants @ Broncos on Sunday Night Football this season. Really stoked to get out there again, I was there for Monday Night Football when they played Houston last year and that stadium is just magical at night.  :metal

That's awesome. Nothing like football under the lights in a sold out stadium.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »
The NFL Draft is the most unnecessarily over-hyped, over-analyzed, and over-discussed thing in the history of the universe.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #357 on: April 25, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
The NFL Draft is the most unnecessarily over-hyped, over-analyzed, and over-discussed thing in the history of the universe.
Try getting into it when your team doesn't even pick until the end of the 3rd round.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: April 25, 2017, 06:09:56 PM »
Free agency had to give you a woody though EB.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #359 on: April 25, 2017, 06:11:38 PM »
I have never found it the least bit interesting, no matter where "my team" was picking.  These days, it is all I can do to muster enough interest to watch a game, and they NFL wants me to be interested in picking teams?  Not happening.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #360 on: April 25, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
Free agency had to give you a woody though EB.
Oh, I'm not complaining. Do have to wonder, though, how many running backs do the Patriots need?
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: April 25, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »
I'll assume it will all flush out by the end of pre season.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
During the post-Mariucci, pre-Harbaugh years, I got really, really into the draft. When you're hoping for a savior, it can be pretty compelling. Since then, I haven't had as much interest in it, even though the Niners suck again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #363 on: April 25, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »

Agreed. I'll flip over to it during hockey commercials to see the latest picks, but I cannot imagine going out of my way to watch a freaking NFL draft.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: April 25, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
I swear it's been taking up about 80% of sports talk radio the past two weeks. My three least favorite words in the English language are "mock draft" and "bracketology."

On the bright side, it has been good to see Ryan Leaf has gotten his life back on the right track after seriously derailing himself.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-ryan-leaf-20170311-story.html
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: April 26, 2017, 04:17:48 AM »
The NFL draft has always been entertaining to me, and this goes back to when it the format was Saturday & Sunday (read not Prime Time). I'm a die hard Ravens fan, so of course I want to see what they do and who they draft. I'm a college football fan, so I've been following these players for a few years, and want to see where they end up. It's compelling drama to me, but I can see why it's not for everyone. And I certainly wouldn't begrudge someone choosing playoff Hockey over it, because let's face it, playoff hockey is incredible, and massively underrated in this country.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #366 on: April 26, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
I have no interest in watching the draft, but I'd bet you more TVs in Pittsburgh will be tuned into watching the Steelers pick 30th or whatever on Thursday night than will be watching the Pens and Caps first game. Silly football town  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #367 on: April 26, 2017, 07:05:16 AM »
I have THIS much interest in the Draft, but it is certainly overhyped.

So, Adrian Peterson to the Saints?  Thoughts?  Floyd?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: April 26, 2017, 07:19:42 AM »
I'm waiting for Josh's switch video on Facebook.

I always check in but I can't watch hours on hours of the coverage.  I like reading what the local reporters tell us about each player drafted.  Hell in this day and age, I wait for them to put something on Twitter.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #369 on: April 26, 2017, 08:59:07 AM »
I'm psyched for the first round on Thursday, but I really don't have much (any) knowledge of college football so the later rounds kind of lose me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #370 on: April 26, 2017, 09:15:58 AM »
Honetly, and this applies to the basketball draft as well, I just check in the next day to see who from UConn was drafted (and for the NFL, who the first pick was, who the Giants took, and who the Pats took.  Maybe any trades.).

I don't spend one minute listening to what Mel Kuiper thinks.  (Though I'd love to see a survey of his mock drafts versus the actual draft to see if he's got any juice or if he's full of shit).   

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #371 on: April 26, 2017, 10:41:37 AM »
So, Adrian Peterson to the Saints?  Thoughts?  Floyd?

I'm not thrilled but I'm trying to withhold my dissatisfaction until his playing warrants it. I remember literally saying "FUCK!" when I heard we'd signed Jeremy Shockey in 2008 but he turned out okay despite being a snitch-ass bitch during the bounty thing (if it really bothered him that much, he had numerous other opportunities to come forward before dog piling when it was a big scandal and could decimate a division rival's chances of being competitive that season as he was then with the Panthers.)

My huge issue is that the Saints, under Payton/Loomis, have a ridiculously long track record of shipping out productive players as soon as they'll be ANY kind of hit on the cap and we continue to be cap-stricken by Brees' contract so it's basically a matter of us waving the white flag every time we have to compete with other teams to keep our proven players once they become free agents.

I just have a very hard time seeing us being competitive at any point during the remainder of Brees' career cuz Payton has 10 years of defensive ineptitude on his resume now (2007 and 2010 were good years but that's it) and we get rid of virtually every good offensive player whom isn't Brees. We've shipped out the following players:

Darren Sproles
Pierre Thomas
Chris Ivory
Khiry Robinson
Jimmy Graham
Kenny Stills
Joe Morgan
Brandin Cooks
Lance Moore

I'm not saying most of these guys did well after leaving but that's irrelevant anyway since they all were productive in our system and none showed any signs of slowing down at the time of their departures.

Also, we seem to think that Mark Ingram is always one year from turning the corner and becoming Walter Payton. I swear he must have some behind-the-scenes leverage on Saints brass in order to keep collecting 16 checks a year.

We also somehow thought it was smart to bring back Roman "Watch me get burned by even the slowest receivers, then catch up to them in the endzone gasping for air and lay down a cheap shot to show 'em who's the man" Harper. That asshole might have had at least five personal fouls every single season he played with us and as many as ten some years. One of the most horribly overrated Saints players ever.

So I've gone on way too long with this post anyway but to bring it all back in and make my final point, AP appears to be on the back end of his career so I don't expect much because of the following issues:

1. Saints offense will be rife with new faces almost every year.

2. Sean Payton will never assemble even an average defense except for the odd year once every five or so years (it's been seven years since this last happened as of now.)

3. In two years, AP will be either completely out of gas or gone for a better payday elsewhere if he miraculously is somehow still a good RB at that point.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #372 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
Roman "Watch me get burned by even the slowest receivers, then catch up to them in the endzone gasping for air and lay down a cheap shot to show 'em who's the man" Harper.

HAHA, that got a laugh out loud.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
Honetly, and this applies to the basketball draft as well, I just check in the next day to see who from UConn was drafted (and for the NFL, who the first pick was, who the Giants took, and who the Pats took.  Maybe any trades.).

I don't spend one minute listening to what Mel Kuiper thinks.  (Though I'd love to see a survey of his mock drafts versus the actual draft to see if he's got any juice or if he's full of shit).   

Yea essentially this.  The draft is pretty boring to watch IMO.  And I wouldn't be surprised if there's money involved with Kipers mock drafts.  I just like to see the final results and hope my team gets players that will fill holes (as well as hoping PSU players get drafted to help with recruiting future players).  Grading the draft the next day means little to me as well.  The draft won't be known for at least a year if it was good for a team.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #374 on: April 26, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
I only pay attention to the report cards that come out at the end, and the invariable B-/C+ Bill will get. Since I don't watch college ball, I have no idea who any of these people are, so the analysis is the only meaningful thing for me.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: April 26, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
I actually paid a lot more attention when it was on Saturday/Sunday morning/afternoon. Dragging it out for days in prime time annoys me, though it's guaranteed to get more viewers.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: April 26, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
^
This, this, and this.

Also, back in those days, there was so much less focus on the draft, and more coverage of games that were actually being played in the other sports.  So I would listen to some of it and follow along.  Now it's blah blah blah 24x7 by a gazillion more 'experts' who have been talking nonstop since the first week of January, so much so that I ignore all of it now.  I'll check in when it's all over.

'The more you have, the less you have.'
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #377 on: April 27, 2017, 07:13:25 AM »
I have a sneaky suspicion that Peterson is going to have a really good year with the Saints.

I have a less sneaky suspicion that it may not matter, with their defense.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
Happy Mel Kiper Jr Day!

“I was told from the get-go, ‘You’re wasting your time. You’re going to have to get a job — a real job — at some point,’” Kiper told Shutdown Corner last week. “You can’t support a family doing this stuff.”

Within a few years, he went from being an 18-year-old home scout who was self-publishing and giving away his draft previews to NFL teams to becoming a self-confident 23-year-old explaining to ESPN audiences his vast knowledge about college football prospects from around the country. The rest is history.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/todays-nfl-draft-hysteria-can-thank-mel-kiper-jr-joel-buchsbaum-181351478.html

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: April 27, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #380 on: April 27, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #381 on: April 27, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »
As to ESPN's coverage.....

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/04/26/espn-layoffs-firings-list-details
Death throes, hopefully. It's time for ESPN to go.

Truth. Their programming is beyond awful. At this point, they are pretty much pointless. If I want to see highlights of the game from last night, I don't need to suffer through an hour long SportsCenter with bad talent trying to be funny to see them cover the highlights of my team for 30 seconds, I can just go online and watch the highlights without hassle.

Happy Mel Kiper Jr Day!

“I was told from the get-go, ‘You’re wasting your time. You’re going to have to get a job — a real job — at some point,’” Kiper told Shutdown Corner last week. “You can’t support a family doing this stuff.”

Within a few years, he went from being an 18-year-old home scout who was self-publishing and giving away his draft previews to NFL teams to becoming a self-confident 23-year-old explaining to ESPN audiences his vast knowledge about college football prospects from around the country. The rest is history.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/todays-nfl-draft-hysteria-can-thank-mel-kiper-jr-joel-buchsbaum-181351478.html

I'd agree with those folks who told him to get a real job, his shtick is pretty much pointless TBH.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »

Truth. Their programming is beyond awful. At this point, they are pretty much pointless. If I want to see highlights of the game from last night, I don't need to suffer through an hour long SportsCenter with bad talent trying to be funny to see them cover the highlights of my team for 30 seconds, I can just go online and watch the highlights without hassle.

Happy Mel Kiper Jr Day!

I'd agree with those folks who told him to get a real job, his shtick is pretty much pointless TBH.

It seems to have worked out well for him and the league.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: April 27, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »

The internet is the large factor killing ESPN, but once they started adding their political commentary to sports, I think they hammered the nail in their own coffin.  No one wants that.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #384 on: April 27, 2017, 02:08:59 PM »
It seems to have worked out well for him and the league.

Oh yea, it seems like a good gig, I just think it's a silly and pointless one, that's all.