Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 210545 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:21 AM »
Completely agree.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »
I don't know anyone that's a Phil Simms fan when it comes to his broadcasting.

I actually like him.  Not John Madden or Chris Collinsworth, but the worst one in the Nance/Simms team is clearly Jim Nance.  I fucking hate that guy.   When he called the UConn-Duke Championship (UConn's first) with Billy Packer, it was the worst call in the history of sports in my opinion (rather than celebrate the upstart and the upset, both guys were almost pleading with Duke to get it going.  Duke this, Duke that).    Then right after UConn beat Duke in the Final Four to get to the Championship (against Georgia Tech) my friends ran into him and he was like "You have no chance.  NO chance!" blah blah blah.  He's a tool. 

(And yes, I realize this is all subjective, homer nonsense on my part, but still.)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2017, 06:52:56 AM »
Since the NFL instituted all division match ups for week 17, here’s how the Ravens have closed their regular seasons:

2010 Cincinnati @ Baltimore
2011 Baltimore @ Cincinnati
2012 Baltimore @ Cincinnati
2013 Baltimore @ Cincinnati
2014 Cleveland @ Baltimore
2015 Baltimore @ Cincinnati
2016 Baltimore @ Cincinnati
2017 Cincinnati @ Baltimore

So every year that we get Cincy, Pittsburgh gets Cleveland. It's beyond ridiculous and unimaginative.

When you get Cinci, is there another team in the division that Pittsburgh could get?  :neverusethis:  But yeah, 8 years and 7 of them against Cinci is just a little skewed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:31 AM »
Since the NFL instituted all division match ups for week 17, here’s how the Ravens have closed their regular seasons:

So every year that we get Cincy, Pittsburgh gets Cleveland. It's beyond ridiculous and unimaginative.

When you get Cinci, is there another team in the division that Pittsburgh could get?  :neverusethis:  But yeah, 8 years and 7 of them against Cinci is just a little skewed.

I get that. But there should also be years where it's Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh & Cleveland vs. Cincinnati. I suppose the league puts so much value on the Baltimore/Pittsburgh match up that they're against having one of the games in Week 17.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
I don't know anyone that's a Phil Simms fan when it comes to his broadcasting.

I actually like him.  Not John Madden or Chris Collinsworth, but the worst one in the Nance/Simms team is clearly Jim Nance.  I fucking hate that guy.   When he called the UConn-Duke Championship (UConn's first) with Billy Packer, it was the worst call in the history of sports in my opinion (rather than celebrate the upstart and the upset, both guys were almost pleading with Duke to get it going.  Duke this, Duke that).    Then right after UConn beat Duke in the Final Four to get to the Championship (against Georgia Tech) my friends ran into him and he was like "You have no chance.  NO chance!" blah blah blah.  He's a tool. 

(And yes, I realize this is all subjective, homer nonsense on my part, but still.)

Funny how my original comment about Romo turned into comments about everyone else except Romo.  I really didn't mind any of those other commentators.  Just can't see Romo as an analyst/commentator.  If it's any like his press conferences, people will be bored to tears.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »
I'm a bit amazed how someone can just step into that spot with no previous experience.  From my understanding, it was also Nance that wanted Simms out.  They talked about it quite a lot on the Boomer and Carton show (on a CBS radio station) because Boomer was not at all happy with the way Simms was treated.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
Nance wanted him out.

That said, I mute most football games. Except sometimes for the Fox A team.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
I don't mute, but the volume is turned down/almost zero most of the time, because the commentators never seem to take a breath.  Collinsworth is the most knowledgeable analyst in his presentations that I have ever heard.....but I suffer from overload, and only listen to parts of the NBC broadcasts.  I don't need EVERY play analyzed to death, and appreciate some silence from time to time.

Back to the schedules for a sec...
The Ravens FINALLY get a home MNF game, but as mentioned earlier, sooooo tired of finishing against the Bengals, as well as starting with Cincy (07, 08, 12, 14, 17). Also, every year, I see so many teams with tough or unfair schedules, due to the dates and times and travel.  Here is Baltimore's schedule before the bye (why teams don't have it before TNF still makes no sense):

Week            
1   Sun, Sep 10   @Cincinnati   1:00 PM
2   Sun, Sep 17   Cleveland      1:00 PM
3   Sun, Sep 24   @Jacksonville*   9:30 AM
4   Sun, Oct 1    Pittsburgh      1:00 PM
5   Sun, Oct 8    @Oakland      4:05 PM
6   Sun, Oct 15   Chicago      1:00 PM
7   Sun, Oct 22   @Minnesota   1:00 PM
8   Thu, Oct 26   Miami      8:25 PM
9   Sun, Nov 5          @Tennessee   1:00 PM
10    BYE WEEK

And to show I am by no means a 'homer' (some of the time), here is the ridiculous Patriots' ending schedule: 
9   BYE WEEK         
10   Sun, Nov 12   @Denver      8:30 PM
11   Sun, Nov 19   @Oakland      4:25 PM
12   Sun, Nov 26   Miami      1:00 PM
13   Sun, Dec 3    @Buffalo      1:00 PM
14   Mon, Dec 11   @Miami      8:30 PM
15   Sun, Dec 17   @Pittsburgh   4:25 PM
16   Sun, Dec 24   Buffalo      1:00 PM
17   Sun, Dec 31   N.Y. Jets      1:00 PM

I think it's one of the reasons that the quality of play continues to drop, due to the players never getting a chance to get into a 'rhythm' physically.  Hopefully, other than T'giving, TNF becomes a set of long forgotten initials after this season.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:47:58 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
To be fair to the Baltimore folks, they did get the Steelers in a very meaningful game last year towards the end of the season. As long as the divisions are 4 teams per, as they are now, you've got to expect to see a lot of repetition in the schedule from year to year. If they ever went back to the old divisions then they'd have more teams to move the scheduling around to.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #324 on: April 21, 2017, 06:15:40 PM »

This is the first year since the "all division matchups in week 17" rule was instituted that the Jets and the Patriots close out their seasons against each other, so I feel your pain. The rule was supposed to make for more exciting matchups at the end of the season but it's had the opposite effect for the most part.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 21, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
I don't mind it. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #326 on: April 21, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »
I don't mind it. :lol

That makes one of us :sadpanda:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #327 on: April 23, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
The Super Bowl champs get one of their road games as a neutral site game now, since the Pats at Raiders game is the one in Mexico. Don't ever tell me again that the NFL doesn't love the Patriots.

No prime time games for the Jags.  Much appreciated!! :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: April 23, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
They also play a neutral site game in Buffalo and New York every year! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: April 23, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
Both times that the Pats played in London, they were the visiting team, so nothing new there.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 23, 2017, 09:39:42 AM »
Against crappy teams.  This time, they are facing a very good team.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #331 on: April 23, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
Which makes it even dumber. The defending champs should always get as difficult a schedule as possible.  Making one of their toughest road games a neutral site game is showing major favoritism to them again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: April 23, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
5 of the last 6 games are on the road this year. That's tough.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #333 on: April 23, 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
You might want to look at their schedule again. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
Which makes it even dumber. The defending champs should always get as difficult a schedule as possible.  Making one of their toughest road games a neutral site game is showing major favoritism to them again.

Gonna try and post this and NOT sound like a homer..

Aren't the schedules predetermined based on a rotating out of conference/inter conference division matchup, plus playing the same placed team in the other divisions in your conference?

What do you think the NFL should do special for SB winners?

As far as these foreign games, I guess I'm not sure how the teams are chosen. Is it negotiated? I thought I heard the Jags make more money playing in London than one of their home gates.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2017, 01:56:41 PM »
You are correct, yes. All of the games are predetermined because of divisions and where you finish.

I believe it goes like this:

6 games against your division
8 games against two divisions (which are predetermined)
2 games based on where you finished last year (a 3rd place finish means you play two other 3rd place finishers)

All I am saying is, giving the champs a neutral site game for what should have been one of their toughest road games is really stupid and shows incredible favoritism.  Certain teams always seem to get those road games turned into neutral site games (NE!!) and never have to give away one of their home games.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
But wasn't the game and its participants agreed on before the SB?

I think the Raiders were on board first as the home team long before their opponent was even determined, no? I think the Pats came far later in the process.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
Oh I get that. Don't worry Kev, we're in Denver again.  That should even us out over the last 6 years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2017, 03:48:15 PM »
In Denver AGAIN! It seems like the Pats play there every f'n year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
We had a 3 years run of them coming to Foxborough.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
We had a 3 years run of them coming to Foxborough.

In the 80's?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
Do your homework son!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:41 PM »
Oh I get that. Don't worry Kev, we're in Denver again.  That should even us out over the last 6 years.

Pfft. 

Yeah, you have to play at Denver after having a bye, and sure now the Broncos get them at home when we aren't a juggernaut anymore.  Bah.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2017, 04:23:01 PM »
I sure hope the Pats are paying rent for the space in Kevin's head. ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #344 on: April 23, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
The Broncos are 3-1 against the Patriots in the playoffs in the Brady/Belichick era, with the only loss being when we started Tebow.  I'm good.  :coolio :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #345 on: April 23, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »
The Broncos are 3-1 against the Patriots in the playoffs in the Brady/Belichick era, with the only loss being when we started Tebow.  I'm good.  :coolio :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: April 23, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »

Pfft. 

Yeah, you have to play at Denver after having a bye, and sure now the Broncos get them at home when we aren't a juggernaut anymore.  Bah.

Just a QB away from being great again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #347 on: April 23, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
That's a myth. Siemian was fine last year.  The run D falling apart and the O-line sucking is why the team bit the dust down the stretch.  However, I will be curious to see how Siemian does this year without Kubiak, who is one of the best QB coaches ever.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: April 23, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
There was a hangover from the SB.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #349 on: April 23, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
Horse hockey. ;)

They started the season strong, but faded as the run D became more of a liability and teams teed off on the QB because they couldn't run the ball or pass block worth a darn.