Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211001 times)

Offline PowerSlave

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2835 on: January 18, 2018, 08:34:24 PM »
Question for serious NFL fans, what was the last Super Bowl you didn't actively watch or have interest in? I'd say SB XLIV (Saints Colts). I was hosting a gathering, which I have done for the past 10 or so years, excepting a couple. But I can't honestly say I recall watching much of the game. Watching while hosting can be tough, but aside from that one I make an effort to watch as much of the game as I can.

I think that I've watched every super bowl since I was a very young child. The most likely reason that I'm a Steelers fan is that they were probably the first team to make an impression on me. I was born in June of '73, and by the time that I was becoming reasonable aware of things they were the team to beat.

The first super bowl that I can recall watching all these years later was the Eagles vs Raiders. That was the 1980 season, but I'm certain that I was watching them well before then. I've watched them every year whether the game was good or bad.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2836 on: January 18, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
I think the last Super Bowl I didn't really watch was Giants/Bills following the 1990 season.  I caught the very end, but that was it.  I don't think I have really missed one since.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2837 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »
The last one Super Bowl I didn’t watch was Super Bowl XXXIX.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2838 on: January 19, 2018, 02:50:15 AM »
I watched the first quarter of SB43 (Steelers v Cardinals), then I've watched every one live and in full since then. Which means at least one night a year of staying up until 3:30am.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2839 on: January 19, 2018, 06:35:29 AM »
I first started watching football during the 2005 season, have watched every super bowl from then on.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2840 on: January 19, 2018, 06:39:47 AM »
So is this Brady hand injury a legit problem or is his being held from practice an abundance of caution?  Gotta be some scuttlebutt around up in the NE area about this.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2841 on: January 19, 2018, 06:40:41 AM »
I missed most of the Giants Patriots SB rematch because I was living in France at the time and it didn't feel worth staying up for since I had class the next morning. For some reason I just wasn't that interested in that one, I had a gut feeling the Giants were going to win. They got red hot at the right time, similar to the 2012 Ravens. I'm well aware that I did miss a great game and I did go back and watch the whole thing.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2842 on: January 19, 2018, 06:41:05 AM »
So is this Brady hand injury a legit problem or is his being held from practice an abundance of caution?  Gotta be some scuttlebutt around up in the NE area about this.

Fort Knox with the info out of Gillette.  It was injured but how bad?  We don't know.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2843 on: January 19, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if this is a plan by Billy to get in the minds of the Jags coaches to alter their game plan. Or it could be legit. This is just an example of the genius that is Bill Belichick. He's created a culture that people have no idea if an injury is legit or not.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2844 on: January 19, 2018, 07:00:15 AM »
The first super bowl that I can recall watching all these years later was the Eagles vs Raiders. That was the 1980 season, but I'm certain that I was watching them well before then. I've watched them every year whether the game was good or bad.

That was mine as well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2845 on: January 19, 2018, 07:14:09 AM »

Fort Knox with the info out of Gillette.  It was injured but how bad?  We don't know.

I'll check the lines in Vegas, they usually have pretty good intel.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2846 on: January 19, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if this is a plan by Billy to get in the minds of the Jags coaches to alter their game plan. Or it could be legit. This is just an example of the genius that is Bill Belichick. He's created a culture that people have no idea if an injury is legit or not.

It's partly that, but it's also - in my opinion - partly to change the dialogue from New England.  I feel like the Jags are playing right into the Trap Of DoomTM regarding Champeenship games, wherein the Jags are all full of piss and vinegar and talking smack - and feeding the Patriot beast - and this is sort of Bill's way of minimizing the opportunities for a Patriot to say something to enflame the Jags.   

This is really a text book example of the maturity and discipline of New England, and the sort of "WOW, we're at DIZKNEELAND!" immaturity of Jacksonville.  Bill famously said - just this last week - that "playoff experience doesn't matter", but he knows better, and this is a prime example.   Yeah, these guys are professionals and they have to focus, but every little bit helps, and if Fournette is even for one second thinking about his car, or the Steelers fan that hit him, or yapping about something else, it might be the difference between five yards and that first down, or three yards, a stop and Patriots ball at the 36 yard line.  Just sayin'. 

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #2847 on: January 19, 2018, 07:29:32 AM »

It's partly that, but it's also - in my opinion - partly to change the dialogue from New England.  I feel like the Jags are playing right into the Trap Of DoomTM regarding Champeenship games, wherein the Jags are all full of piss and vinegar and talking smack - and feeding the Patriot beast - and this is sort of Bill's way of minimizing the opportunities for a Patriot to say something to enflame the Jags.   

This is really a text book example of the maturity and discipline of New England, and the sort of "WOW, we're at DIZKNEELAND!" immaturity of Jacksonville.  Bill famously said - just this last week - that "playoff experience doesn't matter", but he knows better, and this is a prime example.   Yeah, these guys are professionals and they have to focus, but every little bit helps, and if Fournette is even for one second thinking about his car, or the Steelers fan that hit him, or yapping about something else, it might be the difference between five yards and that first down, or three yards, a stop and Patriots ball at the 36 yard line.  Just sayin'.

There's a reason Neon Deion loves the Jags Defense. Just like you wouldn't go back and tell Neon to shut up and focus on his craft, you have to understand that the Jags D operates that way because it works for them. Go listen to clips of Jalen Ramsey, and you'll find plenty BEFORE talking about going to the Super Bowl 5 days ago. Of course, if you're gonna talk, you have to back it up. I have no idea who's gonna win, but to imply that the Jags are too immature to understand their position is at the very least insulting to a group of PROFESSIONALS that have not been living under a rock for the last 15 years. They know who they're playing...

And on that note, Doug Marrone's response to Brady's potential injury: "If he doesn't throw with his right, he'll throw with his left." Boy, I sure hope he doesn't fall for the ridiculously transparent, childish idea of over exaggerating they super star's injury  :mehlin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: January 19, 2018, 07:46:29 AM »

There's a reason Neon Deion loves the Jags Defense. Just like you wouldn't go back and tell Neon to shut up and focus on his craft, you have to understand that the Jags D operates that way because it works for them. Go listen to clips of Jalen Ramsey, and you'll find plenty BEFORE talking about going to the Super Bowl 5 days ago. Of course, if you're gonna talk, you have to back it up. I have no idea who's gonna win, but to imply that the Jags are too immature to understand their position is at the very least insulting to a group of PROFESSIONALS that have not been living under a rock for the last 15 years. They know who they're playing...

And on that note, Doug Marrone's response to Brady's potential injury: "If he doesn't throw with his right, he'll throw with his left." Boy, I sure hope he doesn't fall for the ridiculously transparent, childish idea of over exaggerating they super star's injury  :mehlin.

I don't generally disagree with your point about "Professionals", but I think when you get to the playoffs, the game changes.   There's a different mindset in "sudden death" than there is in the long grind of a season.  And when that "sudden death" comes down to one play, or one series, why would you give the other team any chance to claim an advantage?    We talk about "underdogs" a lot here, and I think generally the idea of "underdog" is way overrated, but when you have a team like the Pats, that is all about discipline and "doing your job" (there is no "Lawrence Taylor" on the 2017-2018 Patriots), there's going to be a play - at some point in that game, I promise you - where it's going to come down to "Jalen Ramsey vs. Rob Gronkowski".   Do you REALLY want to plant that seed in Gronk's head?  Why would you take the chance?   

I think back to that time that Odell Beckham, Jr. went on that cruise before the big game, and his excuse was "it helped me unwind", but he also failed to show up the next day.   It BOGGLES MY MIND why he would even take that chance.   You can't find ONE WAY of "unwinding" that doesn't send the message to your team that you don't give a shit, and sends a message to the other team that you regard them so lowly that you're going to tan with bitches before the game instead of working on fundamentals?   We have NO IDEA whether it had any impact, but why gamble?   

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: January 19, 2018, 08:17:22 AM »
Pats -9 moved to Pats -7.5.  Maybe not too much to see here.  I'll take an 80% Brady for the win.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2850 on: January 19, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »
Pats -9 moved to Pats -7.5.  Maybe not too much to see here.  I'll take an 80% Brady for the win.
Curious what it'd look like if Hoyer were the starter. The odds of NE winning would certainly take a hit, but I'd probably still bet on them. Bill, JMD, and Patricia always find a way to be compete effectively.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #2851 on: January 19, 2018, 09:07:12 AM »
"Jalen Ramsey vs. Rob Gronkowski".   Do you REALLY want to plant that seed in Gronk's head?  Why would you take the chance?   

I think back to that time that Odell Beckham, Jr. went on that cruise before the big game, and his excuse was "it helped me unwind", but he also failed to show up the next day.   It BOGGLES MY MIND why he would even take that chance.   You can't find ONE WAY of "unwinding" that doesn't send the message to your team that you don't give a shit, and sends a message to the other team that you regard them so lowly that you're going to tan with bitches before the game instead of working on fundamentals?   We have NO IDEA whether it had any impact, but why gamble?

I won't be surprised if that matchup is pivotal at some point. But if and when that happens, I can tell you that Ramsey will be supremely confident in his abilities, at least enough to perhaps counteract any "advantage" Gronk might have in the bulletin board motivation. What goes hand in hand with the EGO of an athlete like Ramsey is the passionate hatred of losing. His swagger is not hollow.

As for OBJ, was that a departure from his normal routine, or was that his normal way of preparing? Like I said, take a listen to Ramsey throughout the season. You won't find that this is a new thing. As far as falling for traps... ask AJ Green what it's like to be a seasoned vet standing across from Ramsey. Some players are more disciplined than others, and I expect the Pat's to be of the highest order. But they play the games for a reason, and I'm super excited to see how this one plays out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: January 19, 2018, 09:55:26 AM »
Well, you have no argument from me about "that's why they play the games".  No doubt.   

But I stand by my statement.

The Pats have been in the Championship Game each of the last seven years.   Odell Beckham, Jr. appeared in one Championship game in college, and lost, and has been in the playoffs only once in his NFL career, and lost badly.   I get it, it's a team game, and everyone has their role, but honestly, as a teammate, I want to know that my guys have their head in the game and aren't leaving ANYTHING to chance. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2853 on: January 19, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »

I'll check the lines in Vegas, they usually have pretty good intel.

If for some reason Tom can't go, that makes a disappointing Steelers loss to the Jags even more disappointing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2854 on: January 19, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »
Question for serious NFL fans, what was the last Super Bowl you didn't actively watch or have interest in? I'd say SB XLIV (Saints Colts). I was hosting a gathering, which I have done for the past 10 or so years, excepting a couple. But I can't honestly say I recall watching much of the game. Watching while hosting can be tough, but aside from that one I make an effort to watch as much of the game as I can.

In all honesty, the last one I didn't "actively watch" probably was Super Bowl 11, which was played when I was 9 and not yet a football fan.  I became a fan the following year.  I don't recall what the impetus was, but I started buying (and sometimes stealing) football cards, and I fell in love with the original Orange Crush defense of the Denver Broncos.  The Broncos made it to Super Bowl 12 and got crushed (it wasn't as close as the 27-10 score might indicate).  I typically rooted for the AFC, which was tough since the NFC won 15 of the next 19.  I was elated when my Broncos finally broke that dominance in SB32 (I still have that game recorded on a VHS tape).  I remember everyone talking about how the Packers would destroy the Broncos and being so happy when the Broncos proved them wrong.  I think I wasn't hugely interested in Super Bowl 40 (PIT over SEA), but I know I actively watched.  I probably didn't watch the second half of Super Bowl 48 very closely.  In terms of actively watching, I guess it doesn't hurt that my team or my wife's team (Patriots) has represented the AFC in 11 of the past 20 Super Bowls.

I still want to know if LIV Tyler will be involved in some way in Super Bowl 54.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2855 on: January 19, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »
I remember watching Fred Biletnikoff in the Super Bowl XI and thinking, "there's no one on the planet cooler than him."  I hadn't quite gotten into Kiss yet.  :)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2856 on: January 19, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »
I think the Jags have the defense to keep the game close. The key player in this game will be Bortles. If he stays mistake free and plays like he did in the 4th quarter of the Steelers game then the Jags have great shot at winning.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2857 on: January 19, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
I think the Jags have the defense to keep the game close. The key player in this game will be Bortles. If he stays mistake free and plays like he did in the 4th quarter of the Steelers game then the Jags have great shot at winning.

That's an analysis that gives me hope, because if there's one thing to say about Patricia's defense, is that they exploit your mistakes.   You can be doing wonderfully, moving your team 78 yards down the field, and you miss a check down on the 2, and next thing, it's Patriots ball. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2858 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
I remember watching Fred Biletnikoff in the Super Bowl XI and thinking, "there's no one on the planet cooler than him."  I hadn't quite gotten into Kiss yet.  :)

I'm assuming that you've watched every superbowl since you're 20 generations old...

Just Kidding!!!  ;D
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2859 on: January 19, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
I remember watching Fred Biletnikoff in the Super Bowl XI and thinking, "there's no one on the planet cooler than him."   

I'll tell you who was cooler...Dave Casper! I was a young Raider fan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2860 on: January 19, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
Are you concerned bout Tom's hand?
I don't know. We'll see.

Could Brady be a game-time decision?
Today is Friday.

:rollin

And then he goes on to talk ad nauseum about the intricacies of Jacksonville's over/under defensive front, and how great a player Patrick Chung is, while providing absolutely no insight into his own take on these things or how they might come into play. Dude really is one disciplined individual. Most people who like to talk have an incredibly hard time compartmentalizing their words.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: January 19, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
And he says it so droll. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: January 19, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
He is the worst and the best at press conferences, depending how you view it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2863 on: January 19, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »

All this talk about mid-70s Raider players reminded me of the old NFL Films highlight shows that used to run on Saturday afternoons.  With that great NFL Films music and John Facenda's narration, there was no way NOT to get into the sport!

Speaking of Biletnikoff, how the hell does a guy win MVP with only 4 catches for 79 yards and no TDs?!  I'd be willing to bet that if 10 different people who didn't know how the MVP voting turned out watched that game and were asked to name an MVP, Biletnikoff wouldn't get more than 2 votes.  Dave Casper had the same number of catches for only 9 fewer yards and a touchdown, and Clarence Davis had 137 yards on 16 carries.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2864 on: January 19, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Anyone else ever read this?

It's like a book length Penthouse Forum. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2865 on: January 21, 2018, 07:14:55 AM »
Today presents the greatest challenge of Bill Belichick's coaching life: figuring out a way to slow down Blake Bortles.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2866 on: January 21, 2018, 07:36:07 AM »
 :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2867 on: January 21, 2018, 11:12:29 AM »
Based on nothing other than personal preference, I'm going with a Jaguars V.  Iggles superbowl.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2868 on: January 21, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
Figures, he drops the easy pick because it’s NE and not Pit  :facepalm:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2869 on: January 21, 2018, 01:55:14 PM »
Pats WTF?? :facepalm: