Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 209288 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2765 on: January 15, 2018, 02:18:59 PM »
What will be interesting for Minnesota is that this year, the AFC are the designated home team for the Super Bowl, so if the Vikings reach the big game in their home stadium, they'll have to use the visitors' dressing rooms.
The Vikings will get to use the home locker rooms and they'll get to practice in their own practice facilities. Even though both of those things are designated for the home team, which is the AFC team. That came up here in Minnesota a couple weeks ago and it's apparently been settled by the NFL.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2766 on: January 15, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »
The least the #Patriots could do is hand the ball to the ref after the TD and let him spike it. #TENvsNE

:lol

#Timesup

By the way, the official in this picture is Sarah Thomas, the NFL's only female official.  Can't blame Bill for wanting to get his hands on her....

And the assault and harassment charges in 3...2...1...

In all seriousness, though, that has to be an intimidating experience; rookie Down Judge (in her third year in the league) being lectured by arguably the greatest coach in NFL history.
I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that you don't get to the be first chick referee in the NFL without being pretty confident and strong willed. I wouldn't be too surprised if the next words out of her mouth were "take your fucking hands off of me right now or you'll be coaching this game from the parking lot."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2767 on: January 15, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »
The least the #Patriots could do is hand the ball to the ref after the TD and let him spike it. #TENvsNE

#Timesup

By the way, the official in this picture is Sarah Thomas, the NFL's only female official.  Can't blame Bill for wanting to get his hands on her....

In all seriousness, though, that has to be an intimidating experience; rookie Down Judge (in her third year in the league) being lectured by arguably the greatest coach in NFL history.
I'm going to go out on a limb and surmise that you don't get to the be first chick referee in the NFL without being pretty confident and strong willed. I wouldn't be too surprised if the next words out of her mouth were "take your fucking hands off of me right now or you'll be coaching this game from the parking lot."
Seriously.  I hate to be all #metoo on this, but would BB EVER touch a male official like that?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2768 on: January 15, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
So I did a couple of minutes of looking into things and learned some stuff.

First off:
Seriously.  I hate to be all #metoo on this, but would BB EVER touch a male official like that?
Absolutely he would. My initial thought when seeing it was that he was making a point to treat her no differently than he would a male ref, and I think that's the right thing to do.

However, he didn't actually touch her. In fact he went out of his way not to. It's not a gif so I can't post it, but the full replay of what went down shows that he was demonstrating how somebody was tackled, and he kept his hands off of her. Perfectly reasonable, unless you look for reasons to bitch about the man and his team.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/bill-belichick-touches-nfl-female-ref-official-sarah-thomas-picture-fine-suspension
This was a non-event and apparently the NFL and Thomas saw it the same way.

And she is apparently quite strong willed. An interviewer described a woman who never broke eye contact, even between questions, and "makes you feel like you’re in the presence of an authority not to be messed with." That's not at all surprising to me.

I found the most interesting thing about her to be the smile on her face after getting knocked down in a play. This is a girl that loves here work.

She got up and said "I think I broke my wrist," and she was right. Also landed her in the concussion protocol.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2769 on: January 15, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
BTW, Belichick is explaining to her about a defensive player draping over a Pats receiver.  He's not groping her. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2770 on: January 15, 2018, 06:12:02 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: January 15, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2772 on: January 15, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
Did Suzy have some face-work done recently? I don't watch the pre/post-game shows or anything she would be on but when I saw her recently she looked noticeably different.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2773 on: January 15, 2018, 07:04:11 PM »
Sexier.  Lol.  Not sure.  Longer hair.   damn I opened Pandora's Box shouldn't be talking about this. LOL

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: January 15, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »
Taking age out of the question, there has to have been some serious scalpel work here.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2775 on: January 15, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
he was demonstrating how somebody was tackled, and he kept his hands off of her. Perfectly reasonable, unless you look for reasons to bitch about the man and his team.

Fair enough... I made a wrong assessment of a single moment of time / picture completely out of context.  I wasn't necessarily looking for a reason to bitch, just made a (wrong) judgment on a single picture.

Context!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2776 on: January 15, 2018, 07:15:48 PM »
Taking age out of the question, there has to have been some serious scalpel work here.

Yeah, cutting Kingshmegland's heart out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2777 on: January 15, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »
Joe Namath still wants to kiss her.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2778 on: January 15, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
So do I. Lol. Her neck shows her age and her cheekbones are not as defined so I say she has not got work done.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2779 on: January 15, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
What will be interesting for Minnesota is that this year, the AFC are the designated home team for the Super Bowl, so if the Vikings reach the big game in their home stadium, they'll have to use the visitors' dressing rooms.
The Vikings will get to use the home locker rooms and they'll get to practice in their own practice facilities. Even though both of those things are designated for the home team, which is the AFC team. That came up here in Minnesota a couple weeks ago and it's apparently been settled by the NFL.
Maybe they've updated it since, but I read in the Star Tribune that the NFL hadn't decided if the Vikes would be allowed to use the Gjallarhorn, the Jaws like sound effect when they get a first down or something like that. I could see that being a tad bit unfair
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2780 on: January 15, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »
Maybe they've updated it since, but I read in the Star Tribune that the NFL hadn't decided if the Vikes would be allowed to use the Gjallarhorn, the Jaws like sound effect when they get a first down or something like that. I could see that being a tad bit unfair

As the home side, would the AFC team get it then?  :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2781 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »
That would be a total mindfuck for the Vikings that it would almost be kind of funny. But no, I think it was the Vikings would get to use all of their stuff as if they were the home team. Which would negate the whole AFC Home thing, so I don't think it's gonna happen.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2782 on: January 15, 2018, 08:09:05 PM »
Yeah, it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to use the in-game stuff.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2783 on: January 15, 2018, 08:11:17 PM »
Yeah, it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to use the in-game stuff.
What are your thoughts on the game vs the Eagles next week? I'm kinda nervous with their defense
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2784 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
I think the Vikings are the better team given the QB situation. But on the road in the playoffs, it's anybody's game really. The Vikings offense needs to step up.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2785 on: January 15, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »

As a Vikings fan, I am not expecting them to win in Philly next weekend, but at the same time, if they do, I won't be shocked.

I just did a search and the forecast for next Sunday is High of 53, lol.

If it is colder, I fully expect a lower scoring game.

They also had their 1st loss last season at Philadelphia, after starting out 5-0.

Also I looked it up, remembering the 2 losses the Vikings had to the Eagles in 2005 and 2009 (2004 and 2008 seasons).

Granted, those teams records were not as good, nor was their defense as good.

But every time the Vikings have had to go on the road for the NFC Championship game, they've lost
(edit: 1973..long before I was born, they won in Dallas, and they of course went on to get destroyed by the Miami Dolphins in the SB).

I'm not sure why I should believe this will be any different. But it does seem silly if they end up losing to a team with their backup QB (although technically, Keenum is or was as well, and Nick Foles was a starter for a few years, but hardly had a season Wentz was having until he got hurt).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2786 on: January 16, 2018, 06:51:02 AM »
The more I think about the Vikings game, the only edge the Eagles have is being at home. The Vikings defense should be able to shut down the Eagle Offense and the vikings have more weapons on offense to make the difference. Still think it will be close but I think the Vikings will pull it off.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2787 on: January 16, 2018, 08:57:42 AM »
So do I. Lol. Her neck shows her age and her cheekbones are not as defined so I say she has not got work done.

I don't think she's had work done.  Having said that, she looks way better now. Not a fan at all of that pixie-type haircut.  I like the long flowing locks, and I'm a sucker for a pretty smile, so "check".   

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2788 on: January 16, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
Suzy never needed work.  She was always pretty, but the long hair does wonders for her look.  I never appreciated short hair on women.  Just me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2789 on: January 16, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
I actually would be very surprised if the Eagles win. I was surprised they won last week, but at the same time the Falcons were very inconsistent this year and they didn’t play well last week. I just think the Vikings are the better team, especially with Foles starting for the Eagles.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2790 on: January 16, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »

#Timesup

Here's an article about this incident (which, by the way, occurred over two years ago):  https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/bill-belichick-touches-nfl-female-ref-official-sarah-thomas-picture-fine-suspension
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2791 on: January 16, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »

I don't think so.  She's smiling in the older picture, so that's going to make certain features stand out that won't stand out when she's not smiling.  I think the hair makes a big difference, and I'm another who GENERALLY prefers longer hair to shorter hair.

As far as this weekend's games, I'll be quietly rooting for the Jaguars, but I don't expect that to be much of a game.  I think/hope the Eagles/Vikings game will be competitive.  Doesn't appear weather will play a role in either game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2792 on: January 16, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »
It's nice that in the middle of the off season, with nothing else going on in the football world, we're still able to find highly important football matters to discuss!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:43 PM »
It's nice that in the middle of the off season, with nothing else going on in the football world, we're still able to find highly important football matters to discuss!

We can't multitask Nick? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2794 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
Todd Haley gone! YESSSSSSSS

Too bad Tomlin couldn’t go with him. New OC will likely be their QB coach.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2795 on: January 17, 2018, 12:02:16 PM »

To no surprise, I back this decision 100%.

Tomlin has HUGE gaps as a coach, but the fact of the matter is this - they shouldn't fire him because unless Bill wants to bail on the Pats and come coach in Pittsburgh, they won't get a better coach than Tomlin to fill the void.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2796 on: January 17, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »

Tomlin has HUGE gaps as a coach, but the fact of the matter is this - they shouldn't fire him because unless Bill wants to bail on the Pats and come coach in Pittsburgh, they won't get a better coach than Tomlin to fill the void.

Now THAT I disagree with.  If you're talking coaches in the league right now, I'd take Sean Payton, Bruce Arians (yes, I know he retired), John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, and Pete Carroll over Tomlin.   Maybe even Doug Pederson and John Fox (yes, I know he's been relieved of his duties). 

Though I will say this: the fact that Gruden is coming back shows there is a dearth right now of quality, road-tested, battle-scarred head coaches, and a LOT of coaches in this league that have a lot to prove. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2797 on: January 17, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »

Now THAT I disagree with.  If you're talking coaches in the league right now, I'd take Sean Payton, Bruce Arians (yes, I know he retired), John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy, and Pete Carroll over Tomlin.

Tomlin is second (to Bill) in winning percentage among active coaches. To me, winning is the only real measure of a coach. Right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2798 on: January 17, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »
Well, you have to look at the other variables.  Context matters.  I would submit that many coaches could have the same winning percentage the last 11 years in Pittsburgh if they had inherited a Super Bowl team with an All-World defense and Hall of Fame QB. 

Tomlin has a better winning percentage than Cowher had, but does anyone think Tomlin is doing a better job than Cowher did? 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2799 on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:52 PM »
Well, you have to look at the other variables.  Context matters.  I would submit that many coaches could have the same winning percentage the last 11 years in Pittsburgh if they had inherited a Super Bowl team with an All-World defense and Hall of Fame QB. 

There's no way for us to actually know that though. That's total speculation.

Tomlin has a better winning percentage than Cowher had, but does anyone think Tomlin is doing a better job than Cowher did?

I thought we were talking active coaches?

To me, winning is what I would look at in judging a coaches performance. With Tomlin's win percentage it's a tough argument to make to fire the guy.

Also - there's a zero percent chance the Steelers are going to do that anyway, it's not at all how they roll.