Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211027 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2625 on: January 09, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
If it weren’t for being such a douche, Cam Newton would be awesome.
So much talent....
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2626 on: January 09, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
If a team is good, why begrudge them having repeated success?  I hate all the efforts to create parity (read: dynasty-busting) over the years.  I have no problem with seeing teams be able to build for the long-term and enjoy the fruits of that.  Otherwise, it is just a rotating cast of stars, and you are just rooting for your team's uniforms rather than the players. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2627 on: January 09, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »
It's pretty simple:  Even if Team X is not a team you hate (either because Team X and your team are rivals or for whatever other reason), it's a bit of a grind or boring for Team X to win all the time.  The Patriots have become the Yankees of the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Ask me whom I think will win the AFC, and I'll tell you it's the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars and Titans (in that order).  Ask me whom I'd like to see win the AFC, and the order would be flipped.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2628 on: January 09, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
... it's a bit of a grind or boring for Team X to win all the time. 

I think the point was this is subjective and not an opinion necessarily shared by everyone.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2629 on: January 09, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
It's pretty simple:  Even if Team X is not a team you hate (either because Team X and your team are rivals or for whatever other reason), it's a bit of a grind or boring for Team X to win all the time.  The Patriots have become the Yankees of the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Ask me whom I think will win the AFC, and I'll tell you it's the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars and Titans (in that order).  Ask me whom I'd like to see win the AFC, and the order would be flipped.

I would say the Pats are like only the early 90's Yankees. Drafted talent and low cost vets.  Later on, the Yankees spent crazy money for free agents and only this year the Pats signed Gilmore to a contract which I think he's not worthy of.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2630 on: January 09, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »

I think the point was this is subjective and not an opinion necessarily shared by everyone.

Of course, but it should hardly be a surprise that a great many people do feel this way.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2631 on: January 09, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »

Of course, but it should hardly be a surprise that a great many people do feel this way.

It's not a surprise, but I do find it odd that "a great many people" (which you only need to look in P/R to know is not a great judge of anything) resort to "hoping they go away" rather than actually beating them. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: January 09, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
You can add me to the crowd that doesn't like seeing the same team constantly win (I feel more strongly about this college football than NFL though).  It's not really fun for the uninvested fan (aka the fan of a team that doesn't make it to the playoffs).  However, I don't take this out on the Patriots nor think rules need to be changed to make there be more parity.  I just flat out think most of the NFL teams just aren't really good at the moment and the Patriots/Steelers have benefitted from their stability while the rest of the NFL scatters to find coaches and quarterbacks.  I have to respect what those teams have done even if as a fan, I don't enjoy constantly watching the same teams win.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2633 on: January 09, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »
I actually think it takes a sick mind to demand your team win every single year, and you never want another fan base or team to enjoy success. For example I’m a Red Sox fan but was overjoyed with the Cubs and Astros winning the last 2 World Series.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: January 09, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »
I don't think it's a demand but as a Pats fan there is an expectation.  What has it been,  8 years with 12 + wins?

I'll say it again, as a kid I saw Pittsburgh & San Fran become a dynasty then in my 20's I saw Dallas do it.  I wondered if I would ever see that here in my lifetime.

Now I cherish this because I will never see this kind of run ever agsin at this level. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: January 09, 2018, 03:45:20 PM »
I half paid attention to the games this weekend:

ATL @ LAR:  The Rams just got plain exposed, and their kick returner needs to have his pro bowl invitation rescinded.

Exposed? LOL....  Outplayed? Yes.  It happens, it's the NFL.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2636 on: January 09, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
Holy dorkage!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2637 on: January 09, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »

ATL @ LAR:  The Rams just got plain exposed, and their kick returner needs to have his pro bowl invitation rescinded.

As much as I hate the Rams (sorry, man; I'm a 49ers fan; I have to hate the Rams), I have to have your back on that one.  They're a good team.  They just had a dropoff at the end of the season and got outplayed in that game at a time when Atlanta is hot.  I don't think anything was "exposed" in that game.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2638 on: January 09, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
So much talent....

And he is wasting a lot of his talent.  When you think about how big he is, the arm he was given, and his ability to run the ball, he should be dominating the NFL every year, but he's not, and why?  Because his fundamentals suck. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2639 on: January 09, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
Holy dorkage!

Raiders hire a guy who hasn't coached a game in 10 seasons and who, in his last six seasons coaching, had a 45-51 record.  The Commitment to Excrement continues!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2640 on: January 09, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »
But the owner says he's got the right haircut.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
So much talent....

And he is wasting a lot of his talent.  When you think about how big he is, the arm he was given, and his ability to run the ball, he should be dominating the NFL every year, but he's not, and why?  Because his fundamentals suck.

Steve Young said this about three years ago:  his biggest flaw is that he doesn't know what he needs to do to become elite.  He's been told he's gifted for so long, he doesn't put in the work.  Guys like Brees and Brady... they are/were in their late 30's, early 40's and still working on footwork, and arm motion, and what not.  It's what I like about Wilson; he puts in the same effort.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: January 09, 2018, 11:54:19 PM »

As much as I hate the Rams (sorry, man; I'm a 49ers fan; I have to hate the Rams), I have to have your back on that one.  They're a good team.  They just had a dropoff at the end of the season and got outplayed in that game at a time when Atlanta is hot.  I don't think anything was "exposed" in that game.
  I think next year our rivalry is gonna get kicked up a notch!  Bring back the old SoCal vs. NoCal Football rivalry of old!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2643 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:03 AM »
Well, at least we can be friends in the offseason.  ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2644 on: January 10, 2018, 08:42:19 AM »
Holy dorkage!

:lol

Some talk about Saban could be interesting in the Giants job... no thanks IMO.  His run away from Miami was enough to let me know how this guy reacts to adversity in the NFL.  He's a great coach no doubt, but the college to NFL experiment rarely works and it already failed with him and I can't shake his run away before the season ended.  Also, there's way too many people here thinking we are going to get Belichick and I think that's very unrealistic.  I'd be happy with Josh McDaniels though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2645 on: January 10, 2018, 09:05:09 AM »
It's being reported that the Giants will hire Matt Patricia from the Pats as the new HC of the NYG.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: January 10, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »
My only dislike is that I would have liked the Giants to go after someone with head coach experience as the failure of McAdoo I think can at least somewhat be attributed to someone who wasn't ready to be a head coach.  I think there's potential with Patricia, but I would have liked McDaniels a bit better because even though he failed as a head coach, I feel like he probably learned a lot and would be better off in his second try.  Someone who's only ever worked under belichick as an assistant has been more miss than hit historically.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2647 on: January 10, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
For sure.  1st time head coaching is the hot trend right now.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2648 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »
I haven't read anywhere that's it's definite, just that someone decided he's the favorite.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2649 on: January 10, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
For sure.  1st time head coaching is the hot trend right now.

And a lot of the coaching isn't that great in the league atm.  Which I attribute to this.  But coaches have to start somewhere, I just wish the experiments weren't with my team as we just finished the last failure of a first time head coach.   Either way, I don't really hate the hire.  The guy is super smart and while offensive minds are fun to watch, defense wins in the end so I'd prefer a defensive minded head coach. 

I haven't read anywhere that's it's definite, just that someone decided he's the favorite.

They can't make it official until the coach they are hiring's current team's season is officially over. So I don't think anything definite will come till then, but I believe the reports that he is likely the guy.  It's not odd for things to be set like this without being official.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2650 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
We will know where Josh McD and Patricia will be next year before the Pats season is over.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »
It's being reported that the Giants will hire Matt Patricia from the Pats as the new HC of the NYG.

I think that means that Eli has a year or two left in NY, then.   I can't see bringing in a first-time, former defensive coordinator as your new head coach and saying "Hey, and groom this new franchise QB for us while you're at it".   Though if any team would do that it's the Gints.   Fucking Giants. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2652 on: January 10, 2018, 10:42:10 AM »
Some talk about Saban could be interesting in the Giants job... no thanks IMO.  His run away from Miami was enough to let me know how this guy reacts to adversity in the NFL.  He's a great coach no doubt, but the college to NFL experiment rarely works and it already failed with him and I can't shake his run away before the season ended.  Also, there's way too many people here thinking we are going to get Belichick and I think that's very unrealistic.  I'd be happy with Josh McDaniels though.

Wow...history notwithstanding, I can't imagine why Saban would want to leave his high-level minor league football job.  He's king of the world in the south and would have to work much harder in the NFL.

As a Broncos fan, I will caution you about any optimism over Josh McDaniels.  He was a complete train wreck in his not quite two seasons in Denver.

All the talk I've heard is that Matt Patricia may go to the Giants.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: January 10, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
Seahawks fire OC Derrell Bevell. When asked, Pete Carroll said they were going instead of RUNNING ahead with Bevell, they are going to PASS on retaining him.

Now if they just ditch Tom Cable, maybe they can work on establishing a functioning offence.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2654 on: January 10, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »

Wow...history notwithstanding, I can't imagine why Saban would want to leave his high-level minor league football job.  He's king of the world in the south and would have to work much harder in the NFL.

As a Broncos fan, I will caution you about any optimism over Josh McDaniels.  He was a complete train wreck in his not quite two seasons in Denver.

All the talk I've heard is that Matt Patricia may go to the Giants.

SOMEONE will give McDaniels a shot again, but I think all the signs are that he rides out "Belichick-Brady".   He's not exactly damaged goods - and of course every nincompoop will point out Belichick's time in Cleveland - but since Denver rebounded and won a Super Bowl, he's got a fair amount to overcome.

I'm now a Raider fan.  I'm loving the Gruden in Oakland thing.   He's my kind of coach, and I love all the former players (like Jerry Rice) telling the current team, "you better be on your game".    Related to this, I think Derek Carr is somewhere else in 12 to 18 months.  Is it too early for "New England Patriots QB Derek Carr"?  (Though if he can't play for Gruden, because Gruden won't stroke his fragile ego, he can't play for Belichick, either).

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2655 on: January 10, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »
Holy dorkage!

This means Oakland will have 2 Chucky's in the organization.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2656 on: January 10, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »
Now if they just ditch Tom Cable, maybe they can work on establishing a functioning offence.

Woohoo! See you later, crafter of the shittiest offensive lines in the league.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2657 on: January 11, 2018, 08:30:10 AM »
Can't imagine why Gruden would want to go back to the Raiders.  Oh wait, Al Davis is gone.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2658 on: January 11, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »
Can't imagine why Gruden would want to go back to the Raiders.  Oh wait, Al Davis is gone.  :lol
Not sure if the first part of your post was serious, but...  When he was let go the first time, he didn't want to leave.  No doubt he still felt he had unfinished business and felt he had more to do in his coaching career.  I am sure the passage of time has only contributed to that feeling.  More likely than not, I would guess that feelings like those, along with a heft pay raise after working as a commentator for all these years, pretty much made it a no brainer when the opportunity presented itself.  If he earns half of that contract and is only halfway smart with his money, he is MORE than set for life and can take it easy after putting in a few hard years coaching.  I can't see NOT taking it if I were in his shoes.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2659 on: January 11, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »
Raiders hire a guy who hasn't coached a game in 10 seasons and who, in his last six seasons coaching, had a 45-51 record.  The Commitment to Excrement continues!

As a Raiders fan I'm thrilled about this.  Gruden has passion and fire, and that is what the team lacked from the coaches this past season.  I think it could be the thing that puts them over the top, really.  They have talent, just need the discipline and fiery determination of Chucky to push them.