Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 210632 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2520 on: January 05, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
You know, any other QB I think we'd all say move on.  Brady is still playing at such a high level that is sort of monkey wrench into what Belichick wants. There's a chance this year that Brady may win three Super Bowls in 4 years. And look how well he's playing his last 4 year. Who's match that?

This is a once in a lifetime player.  No drop off. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2521 on: January 05, 2018, 06:37:25 PM »
I think the scenario is more like they knew they couldn't franchise Jimmy G and pay Brady.   

Of course they could have. But with Brady bitching to Kraft all season, there was no way Kraft would allow it.

And is Patricia discontent? I thought he had turned down a job in the past. 

No, he is not a discontent, and I don't believe he has been offered a head coaching job. He is not in a position to pick and choose like Josh seemingly is. I am just saying if given the opportunity, Patricia will take it.

Something that intrigues me is what has changed. For 20 years Kraft has been content to largely let coaches do their thing. Now he orders a trade? That's kind of a fundamental shift, and if that kind of shift is taking place I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill retire, either.

What has changed? This is all about Tom Brady. There is no shift. This is a one time desicion. Brady can make a plea based on loyalty. He has taken team friendly deals, took the bullet for Deflategate. Remember, with Belichick's previous penalty for Spygate, his implication in Deflategate would've meant some serious consequences. There's no way he didn't know about Brady's "ball procedure".

Also, Kraft is an investor in TB12.

Brady's people truly felt Brady could be traded this off season. They were offering serious money to Jimmy G. Remember, JG and TB have the same agent. While offering a contract to JG, they still yet hadn't offered TB an extension at the same interval as they had previously. All Brady could do at this point was to go to Kraft.
I think the the return for Jimmy G, and the subsequent signings of 2 D bags are middle fingers to Kraft.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: January 05, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Tim you are wrong. The Pats have too many free agents and you can't sink that much money in a position that isn't a starter.

They had to make a choice and they chose Brady.
This is Don Yee.  The agent for both Brady & Garoppolo says differently.

https://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/tom-brady-jimmy-garoppolos-agent-don-yee-responds-espn-story-about-power
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2523 on: January 05, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
With all due respect, it is myopic to say there has been no drop off in Brady's play.  His play over the last 1/3 of this season is on the decline.  He's still good enough to win a Super Bowl on a really good team with the best coach ever, but saying there is no drop off implies that he is as good as ever, which is simply not the case.

That aside, I think there is a lot of truth in this story.  While parts of it reek of a writer who has an axe to grind, too much of it makes sense to ignore.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: January 05, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »
Kev, he's injured. You know how the Patriots never come out and say much. He's been on the injured list and he's taking almost every Wednesday off in the last 5 weeks

he's playing through injury and they've had a lot of other injuries in the receiving Corps and the running backs so of course is going to be a decline in play.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2525 on: January 05, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
Right.  When you get old, injuries happen more frequently, and they take longer to heal.  Same thing happened to Peyton Manning in 2014 when he had that quad (or was in hamstring) injury that just wouldn't heal and he was never the same. 

Will anybody be surprised if Belichick leaves after the season, his best two assistant coaches get head coaching jobs elsewhere, and Kraft is left with an old QB who suddenly isn't all-world anymore and no good QB in the wings?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2526 on: January 05, 2018, 07:00:40 PM »
Tim you are wrong. The Pats have too many free agents and you can't sink that much money in a position that isn't a starter.

They had to make a choice and they chose Brady.
This is Don Yee.  The agent for both Brady & Garoppolo says differently.

https://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/tom-brady-jimmy-garoppolos-agent-don-yee-responds-espn-story-about-power

Don Yee's statement doesn't say shit. It's damage control What's he supposed to do? He's going to protect Brady. Neither Brady, Kraft, or Belichick will ever go on record. But they ALL talk to someone.

And c'mon Joe, this had nothing to do about paying 2 QB's. Never did, never will. This was about Belichick moving on from Brady, and Kraft not letting him. Besides, Garapollo wasn't ever going to sign on to be a backup any longer.

That aside, I think there is a lot of truth in this story.  While parts of it reek of a writer who has an axe to grind, too much of it makes sense to ignore.

The writer doesn't have an axe to grind. Belichick does.

With all due respect, it is myopic to say there has been no drop off in Brady's play.  His play over the last 1/3 of this season is on the decline.   

Well,
1. He is hurt.
2. He has jack shit for receivers. Edelman is out, obviously. Hogan has been out for a while now, as has Malcolm Mitchell, a second year guy who actually "got" the offence and earned Brady's trust. He's also played two of the last 5 games without Gronk, one due to suspension, and last week, they weren't throwing to him on purpose.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2527 on: January 05, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
Will anybody be surprised if Belichick leaves after the season, his best two assistant coaches get head coaching jobs elsewhere, and Kraft is left with an old QB who suddenly isn't all-world anymore and no good QB in the wings?

I think this is all possible.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2528 on: January 05, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
Can you imagine the first time your boss or owner of the company who's giving you carte blanche says no it has to be this way and then you say screw this I'm leaving.

Man up Belichick.   You have a boss.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2529 on: January 05, 2018, 07:05:18 PM »

The writer doesn't have an axe to grind. Belichick does.

I think Belichick is definitely pissed.  He traded Brissett to the Colts (their sworn enemy after Deflategate); he traded Jimmy G for nothing to a Shanahan (he is buddies with that family); he laid the smackdown on Brady's snaky training guru.

2. He has jack shit for receivers. Edelman is out, obviously. Hogan has been out for a while now, as has Malcolm Mitchell, a second year guy who actually "got" the offence and earned Brady's trust. He's also played two of the last 5 games without Gronk, one due to suspension, and last week, they weren't throwing to him on purpose.

Yeah, that Gronk fella is no good at all, is he? :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2530 on: January 05, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »
 if fully staffed the receiving Corp is great. but there's been too many injuries this year. On the flip side, maybe Guerrero's techniques have helped Gronk stay on the field this year!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2531 on: January 05, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »

Yeah, that Gronk fella is no good at all, is he? :P

OK. My turn to bold!

Brady /Gronk torched both the Bills and the Steelers in the last 5 games. But Cooks/Dorsett are not catching balls that Edelman or Hogan catch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2532 on: January 05, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »
if fully staffed the receiving Corp is great. but there's been too many injuries this year. On the flip side, maybe Guerrero's techniques have helped Gronk stay on the field this year!

I think it's less technique than it is in Gronk's head. Gronk still believes in the Lucky Charms' leprechaun. His techniques didn't do Edelman any good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2533 on: January 05, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Who the hell knows. Lol. Also, Brady's sister chimes in.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2534 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
Mrs Youk. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: January 05, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
Yup. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2536 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:05 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2537 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »
Would Bill Belichick ever go two organization when he's not the GM? I think not.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: January 05, 2018, 07:58:59 PM »
Seriously how stupid are writers that believe Belichick is going to go to the Giants when they just signed on December 28th a new GM from the Carolina Panthers?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2539 on: January 05, 2018, 08:03:17 PM »
Well, they're from New York! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: January 05, 2018, 08:06:29 PM »
 :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2541 on: January 05, 2018, 08:16:54 PM »
Man do we love the invented "fall from grace" story as humans, especially sports fans in a time of very bland sports news. Even in New York when I hear anything related to the Patriots and all this stuff my first immediate reaction is "why is anyone even caring about this starving media driven non-story bullshit?" but alas here it is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2542 on: January 05, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
Can you imagine the first time your boss or owner of the company who's giving you carte blanche says no it has to be this way and then you say screw this I'm leaving.

Right, and his boss is a businessman, not a football guy, which is why he hires others to take care of the football stuff.  Without Belichick, Kraft has no Super Bowl rings.  He should leave Belichick alone to do the job he hired him to do.

Brady /Gronk torched both the Bills and the Steelers in the last 5 games. But Cooks/Dorsett are not catching balls that Edelman or Hogan catch.

Is there where we pretend that Chris Hogan is better than Brandin Cooks?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2543 on: January 05, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
This doesn't happen much here, but I'm with Kev all the way in this. Like I said, this off season is the right time to move away from TB. I think he's still an excellent QB, though certainly no longer in his prime, but his days are necessarily numbered and they were in a position to move on. If all of this is true, and it certainly seems plausible, I don't see Bill sticking around and Kraft has really done a number on the team.

Something else I don't see is him moving to a new team. His legacy is cemented and if he wanted to add anything further it would be an epilogue where he set the Patriots up to carry on without him. That no longer seems to be in the cards.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2544 on: January 06, 2018, 02:30:44 AM »
Man do we love the invented "fall from grace" story as humans, especially sports fans in a time of very bland sports news. Even in New York when I hear anything related to the Patriots and all this stuff my first immediate reaction is "why is anyone even caring about this starving media driven non-story bullshit?" but alas here it is.

I completely agree with you. I would love to sit here and say that the Pats are going to "fall from grace" as you described it, but the fact is that until that downward spiral actually happens, the Patriots will remain the best team in the league. And as far as the story goes, RK, BB, and TB all came out and said it isn't true. It's their word against the writer's word, and nobody knows who is correct except for the involved parties. It's a non-story.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: January 06, 2018, 05:43:15 AM »

Right, and his boss is a businessman, not a football guy, which is why he hires others to take care of the football stuff.  Without Belichick, Kraft has no Super Bowl rings.  He should leave Belichick alone to do the job he hired him to do.

I beg to differ. Everybody has a boss.  This is unique.  No quarterback has been this great at this age.  Everybody looks for a cliff or wants to see a cliff.  This is not Farve who just gave up his last year or Manning who lost arm strength after all those surgeries.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2546 on: January 06, 2018, 06:40:18 AM »
This doesn't happen much here, but I'm with Kev all the way in this. Like I said, this off season is the right time to move away from TB. I think he's still an excellent QB, though certainly no longer in his prime, but his days are necessarily numbered and they were in a position to move on. If all of this is true, and it certainly seems plausible, I don't see Bill sticking around and Kraft has really done a number on the team.

Something else I don't see is him moving to a new team. His legacy is cemented and if he wanted to add anything further it would be an epilogue where he set the Patriots up to carry on without him. That no longer seems to be in the cards.

Correct.  I don't think it's going out on a limb to now think that Belichick doesn't give a damn what kind of shape he leaves the team in once he is gone.  When you consider that they are not usually the most talented team, but one always coached up by the GOAT coach and his staff, it will be a sharp fall once Belichick departs and Brady really does hit the cliff.

I completely agree with you. I would love to sit here and say that the Pats are going to "fall from grace" as you described it, but the fact is that until that downward spiral actually happens, the Patriots will remain the best team in the league. And as far as the story goes, RK, BB, and TB all came out and said it isn't true. It's their word against the writer's word, and nobody knows who is correct except for the involved parties. It's a non-story.

They did?  Where? 

Please don't say that joint statement that someone in the Pats front office likely wrote and put out.

Besides, saying it's the "writer's word" implies that it is just his word, when, no, his story had quotes from, what, a dozen sources, all of whom are close to at least one of the three.  Some like to quibble that the sources are anonymous, but a) many big stories are broken as the result of anonymous sources, and b) most anonymous sources say more because they are anonymous, and if the writer broke their word and cited them by name as a source, that writer would never get anyone to tell them anything again.  That is how it works.

I beg to differ. Everybody has a boss.  This is unique.  No quarterback has been this great at this age.  Everybody looks for a cliff or wants to see a cliff.  This is not Farve who just gave up his last year or Manning who lost arm strength after all those surgeries.

I will say this: you Patriots fans better pray that Alex Guerrero, who has a bad rep with a lot of people, doesn't eventually get exposed for using questionable and illegal (by NFL rules) methods of training, eating, nutrition, etc., or else Brady's playing well at 40 story will turn into "he had to do a Barry Bonds and employ a shady wannabe doctor to stay healthy to keep playing at a high level for a long time."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: January 06, 2018, 07:01:42 AM »
 oh I think he's a shyster. I think he's the reason why Belichick kicked them out Patriots have a program in place and he's telling players different things that's why they kicked him out. He's only allowed to come to the stadium to work on Brady.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2548 on: January 06, 2018, 07:05:05 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2549 on: January 06, 2018, 07:25:59 AM »
That doesn't refute anything; that's just a Boston sportswriter pulling a Frank Drebin and trying to convince us that there is nothing to see here.  He has ZERO new quotes from any sources that refute anything.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2550 on: January 06, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
Another article refuting the ESPN article.

https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/2018/01/howe_don_t_close_down_the_patriots_dynasty_just_yet

Get ready for them this week. Jeff Howe is a patsy.

And as far as the story goes, RK, BB, and TB all came out and said it isn't true. It's their word against the writer's word, and nobody knows who is correct except for the involved parties. It's a non-story.

Their statement means nothing. This is a huge story, as the Pats dynasty's clock is clearly ticking. Everyone is wondering how this will eventually play out. This is why Kimmy G talk over the last two years has been so loud.

All true. I also think Belichick was moving on after this year. But you know who else thought the same thing? Brady. That's why he got Kraft involved in the first place.

Is there where we pretend that Chris Hogan is better than Brandin Cooks?

In this offense, yes. Hogan had a much higher impact than Cooks, despite his yardage. He's a soft player. He's fast. But he's soft.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: January 06, 2018, 07:38:15 AM »
Sure it does Kev.  I'm the first to say of course Brady would be upset about his business partner not getting to work with other players at the stadium.  They can still go to see him at the other facility after practice. This is not the end of the world. People talk about how diligent BB is in his preparation yet they think he did not talk it over with Brady first?  You think these scenarios about the 2 QB's were not talked about by the coaching staff and to the owner?  People look for anything to latch on hoping for the demise of a team they hate.

I'm more worried about the possibility of them losing both coordinators. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2552 on: January 06, 2018, 07:49:17 AM »
Who is Kimmy G? :lol :lol

Hogan has has more of an impact in the NE offense than Cooks?

Hogan has 72 catches, 1,119 yards and 9 TDs in 24 regular season games as a Patriot.

Cooks has 65 catches, 1,082 yards and 7 TDs in 16 regular seasons games as a Patriot, which extrapolates out to 98-1,623-11 over 24 games, which, last time I checked, is better than 72-1,119-9. :P

As for being soft, well, Cook is a speed guy, not an Edelman-like WR who is going to catch passes in traffic and take 44 hard hits a game.  If being fast and not taking hits, vs being tough and getting hurt a lot cause you are getting hit all the time, makes you soft, then okay.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: January 06, 2018, 07:50:44 AM »
 :lol

Can't argue about Cooks.  He checks out on some plays.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2554 on: January 06, 2018, 07:55:01 AM »
I can see why some might think Hogan has made more of an impact. It is all about perception in regards to how both players were acquired.

Hogan was signed and cost the Patriots nothing to acquire. He came in with a cheap contract and not high expectations, which he exceeded (the AFCCG last year helped the perception a lot).

Meanwhile, they had to give up a lot to trade for Cooks, who some would say underperformed this season based on expectations (some were foolishly expecting to be like Moss in '07).  He still had a very good season, though, and I remember at least 2 more TDs he could have had if Brady hadn't completely missed him when he was wide open.