Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 210576 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1925 on: December 04, 2017, 08:08:12 AM »
Alleged.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1926 on: December 04, 2017, 08:11:27 AM »
Not at all supporting what Gronk did (I'll be honest, though; I didn't see it personally), but my question is, why start now?   I suppose the journey of 1,000 miles starts with one step, but in keeping with what most of the NFL does, it just seems so arbitrary.  It's not at all the same as "Zeke", because that's all part of the NFL's hamfisted and plodding attempt to placate women and address women's issues.   

Interesting that this has completely overshadowed what to me is the real story in Foxboro; Brady yelling "FUCK YOU" at McDaniels on the sideline as he's being restrained.   Not that I think it's going to impact anything on the field, but it was more interesting than the latest in a long line of meat head football players acting overly aggressive at inappropriate times (and us wondering why that happens). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:04 AM »
OH, and I might have missed it, but where's the thread about Andy Reid being one of the best coaches in football.   I seem to remember a LOT of talk about that about six, seven weeks ago, but now???    It is as inevitable as a shitheel tweet from Trump; a Reid defense is soft when they need to be strong, because he brought in a guy to SPECIFICALLY fill a void, and made the team markedly worse, and then when he needs the offense - led by a very good, but not great QB - to step up, he's got no timeouts and no idea how to manage a game clock and so falls short.   Yesterday's game was text book Andy Reid, and that's what you get as an outcome.   All the 5-1 starts in the world don't matter; it's how you finish. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1928 on: December 04, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »
Not at all supporting what Gronk did (I'll be honest, though; I didn't see it personally), but my question is, why start now?   I suppose the journey of 1,000 miles starts with one step, but in keeping with what most of the NFL does, it just seems so arbitrary.  It's not at all the same as "Zeke", because that's all part of the NFL's hamfisted and plodding attempt to placate women and address women's issues.   

Interesting that this has completely overshadowed what to me is the real story in Foxboro; Brady yelling "FUCK YOU" at McDaniels on the sideline as he's being restrained.   Not that I think it's going to impact anything on the field, but it was more interesting than the latest in a long line of meat head football players acting overly aggressive at inappropriate times (and us wondering why that happens).
Nah, I'd consider that healthy. They've worked together for ages and they're pretty tight. Coworkers yell at each other all the time, and they're no exception. Moreover, it happened after Brady took a second too long causing him to miss a throw. Brady knew what had happened and was pissed off at himself. He didn't want/need McDaniels harping on it. Some people are hard enough on themselves and don't need others throwing shit in their face. There was no anger towards JMD, really. Just a STFU. 

The best thing was somewhere later in that game. Buffalo player walked towards 2 refs, never got closer than about 10 yards, made an angry but rather benign gesture and yelled something at them. The refs looked at each other and both threw flags. I'm really curious what you can't yell at a ref that'll result in 15 yards. I thought mouthing off was acceptable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1929 on: December 04, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
Tonight's game gives me hope for the Rams and Raiders v. Eagles.  Eagles had pretty easy opponents up to now.

Rams are good enough.  Don't know about the Raiders.  You're correct.  2 out of the Eagles 10 wins are against teams with winning records.  They hit a buzz saw last night.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
Maybe I'm jaded, but I see the Eagles in the same light as I see the Panthers, the Cowboys and the Chiefs.   It's why I harp on the "winning" so much.   There are too many examples of a coach/QB/team making one or even two passes through the league and coming back down to earth.  Let's see some sustained performance, and some hardware, before we get too crazy with the superlatives. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1931 on: December 04, 2017, 09:54:11 AM »
McAdoo, Reese, GONE.

I have to be honest; if they now go back to Eli, and he is the guy, I'd be pissed if I was him, having the streak end over petty administrative bullshit as opposed to his playing and/or his health. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1932 on: December 04, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
They showed the replay of the Gronk scene this morning,  man that was a cheap shot totally uncalled for! Gronk needs to be held accountable for this, completely inexcusable. His apology seemed more of a formality and he was trying to justify his behavior. I actually liked him up to this point, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that.  I would go as far as saying he should be suspended for the rest of the season (including the playoffs) and a hefty fine... He intentionally hurt someone who had their back turned face down ON THE GROUND!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1933 on: December 04, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »
McAdoo, Reese, GONE.

I have to be honest; if they now go back to Eli, and he is the guy, I'd be pissed if I was him, having the streak end over petty administrative bullshit as opposed to his playing and/or his health.

I very much appreciate and loved what Reese did to this team when he first came on. His draft picks played a huge role in winning that first Superbowl.  I am forever grateful for his work in creating those teams that while weren't the best, managed to do what only the best can do.  In the last 6 years or so, the Giant's drafts have been poor and this offseason they didn't even attempt to fix their biggest problem (Oline).  He hired a first year head coach who couldn't get the job done as well.  For that, I say good riddance as this was the worst year I can recall in a long time where the team flat out quit.  I trust the ownership in finding a new front office and coaching staff to move this team in the right direction in the draft and moving on from Eli, another person I truly appreciate and loved watching for many years.  But time has come.  Looking forward to watching a younger team next year start to build into something. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1934 on: December 04, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
They showed the replay of the Gronk scene this morning,  man that was a cheap shot totally uncalled for! Gronk needs to be held accountable for this, completely inexcusable. His apology seemed more of a formality and he was trying to justify his behavior. I actually liked him up to this point, but I lost a lot of respect for him after that.  I would go as far as saying he should be suspended for the rest of the season (including the playoffs) and a hefty fine... He intentionally hurt someone who had their back turned face down ON THE GROUND!

A lot of NE fans don’t think he should be suspended. I wonder what their reaction would be if Brady had been on the receiving end?

Also, the way to end the Shaq treatment on Gronk is to call OPI on him every single time he pushes off. When that happens, defenders will no longer need to hold him to balance out the contact.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1935 on: December 04, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
A lot of NE fans don’t think he should be suspended. I wonder what their reaction would be if Brady had been on the receiving end?

Also, the way to end the Shaq treatment on Gronk is to call OPI on him every single time he pushes off. When that happens, defenders will no longer need to hold him to balance out the contact.

This NE fan has no issue with a game. None. I said yesterday that he should've been ejected.

And they do call OPI on Gronk constantly. In fact they called a phantom OPI yesterday.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1936 on: December 04, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
He should get a game no doubt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1937 on: December 04, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »

This NE fan has no issue with a game. None. I said yesterday that he should've been ejected.

And they do call OPI on Gronk constantly. In fact they called a phantom OPI yesterday.
And a hold. Whereas the guy he fell on interfered and held on the same play and didn't get called. Pretty sure Amendola was getting hassle put on him at midfield during that play, as well. Doesn't excuse what happened afterward by any means, but this notion that Gronk does whatever he wants and doesn't get called is fucking stupid.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: December 04, 2017, 01:27:48 PM »
Tonight's game gives me hope for the Rams and Raiders v. Eagles.  Eagles had pretty easy opponents up to now.

Rams are good enough.  Don't know about the Raiders.  You're correct.  2 out of the Eagles 10 wins are against teams with winning records.  They hit a buzz saw last night.

And 3 more teams would have winning record if not for losses against Philly. So 5 out of 10 wins are definitely quality wins. On top of that, they beat the Giants before they self-destructed, so that can be considered a quality win as well.

Most overrated stat in sports.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: December 04, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »
And Gronk got his suspension.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1940 on: December 04, 2017, 02:16:40 PM »
Gronk should have known better. Should have just stood on the dude's leg. That's already been sanctioned.

I won't complain because he really did deserve it. Just goes to show, though, what a joke the league is in terms of discipline and officiating.
E.F. Benson

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1941 on: December 04, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
How long is his suspension?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1942 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »
Nevermind, it's for one week. Whoopie ding, he deserves much worse than that imo..

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1943 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:52 PM »

One game. Which he obviously is appealing.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1944 on: December 04, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
Maybe I'm jaded, but I see the Eagles in the same light as I see the Panthers, the Cowboys and the Chiefs.   It's why I harp on the "winning" so much.   There are too many examples of a coach/QB/team making one or even two passes through the league and coming back down to earth.  Let's see some sustained performance, and some hardware, before we get too crazy with the superlatives.

I agree.  The only difference is, Dallas already has a history of hardware but what have they done for us lately?  Nothing.  Look at Dallas last year.  Longest winning streak in the league (11 games), get a first round buy in the playoffs and then one and done.

And 3 more teams would have winning record if not for losses against Philly. So 5 out of 10 wins are definitely quality wins. On top of that, they beat the Giants before they self-destructed, so that can be considered a quality win as well.

Most overrated stat in sports.

Not sure what you mean about beating the Giants.  They've been atrocious all year.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1945 on: December 04, 2017, 05:19:47 PM »

Not long enough.

OH, and I might have missed it, but where's the thread about Andy Reid being one of the best coaches in football.   I seem to remember a LOT of talk about that about six, seven weeks ago, but now???    It is as inevitable as a shitheel tweet from Trump; a Reid defense is soft when they need to be strong, because he brought in a guy to SPECIFICALLY fill a void, and made the team markedly worse, and then when he needs the offense - led by a very good, but not great QB - to step up, he's got no timeouts and no idea how to manage a game clock and so falls short.   Yesterday's game was text book Andy Reid, and that's what you get as an outcome.   All the 5-1 starts in the world don't matter; it's how you finish.

Reid has been a head coach for now 300 games and won 60% of them.  The Chiefs current free fall is inexplicable, but it doesn't take away from what a great coach Reid has been for nearly 20 years. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1946 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »
Gotta love Benglas/Steelers games. Maybe Burfict will stab somebody and draw a $1k fine.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1947 on: December 04, 2017, 06:45:03 PM »
Shazier with a brutal injury.  Hope he is okay.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1948 on: December 04, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
I like Gronk and his emotions got the best of him, but I definitely agree with the suspension.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1949 on: December 04, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »

Thanks. I feel bad for him, but he wouldn’t stop leading with his head. Accident waiting to happen. 😔

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1950 on: December 04, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »

Thanks. I feel bad for him, but he wouldn’t stop leading with his head. Accident waiting to happen. 😔

???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1951 on: December 04, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
Burfict's probably just faking his concussion.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1952 on: December 04, 2017, 10:11:18 PM »
Post-Week 13 Power Rankings

Top 10
1. New England - should have the easiest road to the Super Bowl ever
2. Minnesota - we are seeing how good this team is when they get good QB play
3. Philadelphia - a loss like that was inevitable
4. New Orleans - that 1-2 punch at RB is lethal
5. LA Rams - stunning turnaround, but can they win at Seattle to lock up the division?
6. Pittsburgh - they keep eking by, but having to struggle to beat mediocre teams week after week shows that they aren't as good as their record
7. Seattle - R. Wilson is THE scariest player in the league right now
8. Carolina - imagine if they had a consistent QB
9. Jacksonville - imagine if they had a good QB
10. LA Chargers - poised to snag the AFC West

NFL MVP Top 5
1. Russell Wilson - take him away from the Seahawks and they become the Broncos (but with better coaching)
2. Tom Brady - had a rare game with more INTs than TDs
3. Carson Wentz - made the most ridiculous throw of the year, but still struggled too much
4. Antonio Brown - this guy is just too damn good
5. Alvin Kamara - easily the rookie of the year and is just an unbelievable weapon

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1953 on: December 05, 2017, 01:33:41 AM »
Nice to see you finally giving Kamara his due.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1954 on: December 05, 2017, 05:12:43 AM »
:o

???

I just appreciated his sentiments. If you think everyone is as gracious as Kev regarding opposing players, you have obviously never visited a Bengals message board. Truly a disgusting and hate-filled fan base.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1955 on: December 05, 2017, 05:14:13 AM »
Nice to see you finally giving Kamara his due.

Also, kudos recognizing Wilson is the clear MVP. He has MUCH less support around him than Brady does.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1956 on: December 05, 2017, 05:17:56 AM »
You do know how many injuries the Patriots have had on offense this year don't you?

3 offensive starting linemen, Julian Endelman, Chris Hogan.  Ect... I could go on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1957 on: December 05, 2017, 07:07:35 AM »

Yeah that looked bad...

Burfict's probably just faking his concussion.

Clearly.

Honestly, I never want to see a player get hurt, but seeing that guy get lite up was somewhat satisfying. I hope he's okay, I'm certainly not wishing injury upon him but some part of me thinks he deserved to get laid out like that.

Also, I hope AB is going to be okay, that head shot he took in the end zone (and somehow still caught the ball?!?) was rough. Ugly, ugly game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1958 on: December 05, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »
And yet Brady still has way more help around him than Wilson.   The Patriots are 9th in the NFL in rushing.  The Seahawks are 21st (and would be dead last if not for Wilson having over 1/3 of their rushing yards).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1959 on: December 05, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »

Honestly, I never want to see a player get hurt, but seeing that guy get lite up was somewhat satisfying. I hope he's okay, I'm certainly not wishing injury upon him but some part of me thinks he deserved to get laid out like that.

That was my thought as well.  My reaction when the hit happened was, "That was brutal, but the guy deserved it."

That said, between Smith-Schuster's taunting and Brown yelling karma in the locker room after the game, the Steelers cannot take the moral high ground when it comes to this ugliness between them and the Bengals. Both teams should be embarrassed.