Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211043 times)

Offline DT2003

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1855 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:50 PM »
As a Giants fan I’m absolutely disgusted by this move. If the Giants had a young QB with lots of potential and wanted to see what they had with him, then I’d be fine with making that move, but benching Eli for Geno Smith is absurd. This guy is not the answer and Eli is not the problem. In any event as bad as they are I’d prefer for them to keep losing so they can get a top draft pick and putting Smith in at QB makes that likely. I just feel bad for Eli as he has been nothing but classy for the Giants and they treat him like this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1856 on: November 28, 2017, 08:21:16 PM »
Eli has this Patriots' fan's total respect.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1857 on: November 29, 2017, 01:51:24 AM »
I owe Kev an apology. I'm going to use the fact that I haven't had a day off of work for a few weeks as my excuse.  :biggrin:

I had questioned Bell being on his list as MVP contenders, but tonight after work I did some reading. He's having a much better season than I thought he was. He's leading the league in yards from scrimmage, and that's no small feat. While I still believe that the offense is driven by Ben, every QB needs weapons to be effective. He's lucky enough to have a couple of great ones.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1858 on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »
Where the Giants screwed up was not having Webb ready to play. If they'd benched Eli to give Webb a shot nobody would be upset. Benching him for Geno is a monumental dick move. I gather that Geno had been getting all the reps in practice, which would make sense, but at some point you need to look ahead and see this situation coming and designate Webb the number two. I can't help but think that at some point Eli must have really pissed John Mara off something terrible.

On the bright side, all of us that can't stand Eli are now completely on his side. This has been great PR for him. He'll be healthy and ready to roll when it comes time to jump ship next year.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1859 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:40 AM »
As a Giants fan I’m absolutely disgusted by this move. If the Giants had a young QB with lots of potential and wanted to see what they had with him, then I’d be fine with making that move, but benching Eli for Geno Smith is absurd. This guy is not the answer and Eli is not the problem. In any event as bad as they are I’d prefer for them to keep losing so they can get a top draft pick and putting Smith in at QB makes that likely. I just feel bad for Eli as he has been nothing but classy for the Giants and they treat him like this.

Don't worry; with Geno starting, the losing will continue.   Amazing to me that he has lingered this long in the league. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: November 29, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
Im a Giants fan and I have little issue with the move.  To me, it's the ownership sending the signal the team needs to rebuild and move on, which they need to do.  To do that, you make tough decisions.  I'd be fine with Eli sticking around another year personally, I think he's not the reason the Giants are terrible, and I'd bet he'd make a decent mentor to a top QB pick in the draft.  But, this team needs a lot of work and I think that starts with a new coaching staff and I'm not sure Eli is going to survive a new coaching staff this late in his career.  It's probably best to just clean house and starting now makes no difference than starting at the end of the season.  I do feel bad for Eli, I've always been a supporter and fan of his, but it's a business and the Giants need to move on.  Look around the division, they aren't going to compete with the younger teams until they make these hard moves. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1861 on: November 29, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »
But is there any reason to bench Eli?  The 49ers traded Joe Montana to the Chiefs when he was still a top QB but they were ready to start building the next generation around Steve Young.  They didn't bench Montana in the meantime (I mean, they did intermittently for health/injury reasons, but it wasn't just an arbitrary benching to let Young get some play time).  That's far different than benching a healthy, top QB for an obvious second stringer that is clearly NOT the future of the team.  I get it that I don't really have standing to argue the propriety of this with a Giants fan.  But I just don't see how this isn't insulting to him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1862 on: November 29, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »
The reason is to move on IMO, I do think it would be easier to swallow if the staff had a young QB to take the reigns or were more open about a bigger plan, but I think this is the plan, or it better be if they are benching him.  To start new.  Make the current coaching staff bench Eli and take the brunt of the pain now, then cut everyone and start new and not make the new staff take the hit on moving on from Eli.  I think the GM, Reese, needs to go too.  The Giants had some awesome years and some great drafts, I am very much thankful for that as a fan.  I believe in the ownership though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1863 on: November 29, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
Post-Week 12 Power Rankings

Top 10
1. Philadelphia
2. New England
3. Minnesota
4. New Orleans
5. Pittsburgh
6. LA Rams
7. Carolina
8. Atlanta
9. Seattle
10. LA Chargers

NFL MVP Top 5
1. Carson Wentz
2. Tom Brady
3. Russell Wilson
4. Antonio Brown
5. Alvin Kamara

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1864 on: November 29, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1865 on: November 29, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »
Kev, damn close stats between Brady and Wentz

https://m.herosports.com/nfl/player-comparison/carson-wentz-vs-tom-brady
Not really. That .8 in YPA is pretty large, as are the two INTs relative to their attempts. However, I don't look at MVP as who's the best QB. In this case I think Brady is more important to his team than Wentz is to his. Brady gets unfairly penalized there because of his coach. Yet I think Phil would be the better team if they both lost their QBs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1866 on: November 29, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
Oh I certainly do to El Barto. But it's great to see a second-year QB at this level.  He's not that far off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: November 30, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
10 weeks ago I was a Ravens fan. When I first jumped ship to Philly, people didn't seem to think much of it, other than the shock of a diehard Ravens fan bailing on the team. Eagles werw 2-1. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would go on this long of a streak, so to outsiders, my decision could look like an on the field decision. And tonight, with a Dallas loss, the Eagles would clinch their division in November. Unreal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1868 on: November 30, 2017, 06:33:49 PM »
Pretty sure none of that would've happened had you not jumped on the wagon!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1869 on: November 30, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
But is there any reason to bench Eli?  The 49ers traded Joe Montana to the Chiefs when he was still a top QB but they were ready to start building the next generation around Steve Young.  They didn't bench Montana in the meantime (I mean, they did intermittently for health/injury reasons, but it wasn't just an arbitrary benching to let Young get some play time).  That's far different than benching a healthy, top QB for an obvious second stringer that is clearly NOT the future of the team.  I get it that I don't really have standing to argue the propriety of this with a Giants fan.  But I just don't see how this isn't insulting to him.
It’s definitely insulting to him. If they were to play Webb to see whether he has potential or they should draft a QB next year, you could at least justify the reasoning behind it, but to bench him for Geno Smith and say that gives the team the best chance to win is a huge insult to Eli. I can’t imagine how any Giants fan can argue that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1870 on: November 30, 2017, 07:34:49 PM »
Here's some perspective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9lFXw63BA

NSFW!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1871 on: November 30, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »
Saturday morning I'm leaving for Buffalo.  Can't wait!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1872 on: November 30, 2017, 08:04:31 PM »
Saturday morning I'm leaving for Buffalo.  Can't wait!

Cool. We're actually going up to Portland on Saturday to see the Maine Red Claws.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »
Tim, in check out Bissell Brothers brewery in Lewiston.  They will not disappoint.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1874 on: December 01, 2017, 07:06:29 AM »
It’s definitely insulting to him. If they were to play Webb to see whether he has potential or they should draft a QB next year, you could at least justify the reasoning behind it, but to bench him for Geno Smith and say that gives the team the best chance to win is a huge insult to Eli. I can’t imagine how any Giants fan can argue that.

In my opinion?   King gives the Gints a better chance to win than Geno Smith. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1875 on: December 01, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
10 weeks ago I was a Ravens fan. When I first jumped ship to Philly, people didn't seem to think much of it, other than the shock of a diehard Ravens fan bailing on the team. Eagles werw 2-1. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would go on this long of a streak, so to outsiders, my decision could look like an on the field decision. And tonight, with a Dallas loss, the Eagles would clinch their division in November. Unreal.

You're right.  Until they win a SB, it will continue to remain unreal.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: December 01, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »

In my opinion?   King gives the Gints a better chance to win than Geno Smith.

Of course the current team/ownership is going to say this is about winning now but everyone knows Geno does not give the Giants a better chance to win these remaining games and no one really wants the Giants to win these games.  Just get the best draft pick possible at this point, the team quit on the coach weeks ago.  Leave all the distractions and negativity out there in this horrendous season and start fresh next year without the distractions and with money to spend.  That of course is assuming McAdoo is gone after the season and the Giants find a way to deal with Eli's contract.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: December 02, 2017, 02:24:44 AM »
We're onto Buffalo.

430am.  In my car heading to Buffalo for the Pats/Buffalo game

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: December 02, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
Going to the Ravens-Lions tomorrow.  The last time Detroit was here was '09, following their winless season.  They were dreadful then as well.  I saw many good sense of humor fans wearing official jerseys with the #16 on them, and the last name 'Owen'.  :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: December 02, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »
Saw that a Clevelander applied for a permit to have a parade should the Browns achieve perfect with an 0-16 record. I admire this guy. I would go to that parade. I just hope the team doesn't much it up by actually winning a game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1880 on: December 03, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
Patriots weren’t stopping the run, no reason to pass on first down there. Horrible pick. Typical stupidity from their AFC East “competition”.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: December 03, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
Hello from Buffalo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1882 on: December 03, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: December 03, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
You didn't throw that dildo on the field did ya?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1884 on: December 03, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »
Big win by the Jets and a huge meltdown by the Chiefs defense in the fourth quarter (or really that one drive). Marcus Peters wins the NFL Asshole of the Week award for his antics, and if I were in charge in Kansas City, I would release him on the flight home for his antics, regardless of how good he is. The Jets keep their slim playoff hopes alive, and Kansas City’s freefall continues.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: December 03, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
You didn't throw that dildo on the field did ya?

Mine was strapped on. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1886 on: December 03, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »
It is hard to laugh at any other team right now, considering what a joke the Broncos are right now, but I am enjoying this Chiefs collapse quite a bit.

Broncos need to lose out to to get a top 3 pick and land one of those QBs coming out (and pray Elway doesn't screw it up).

Gronk should get a game. That is one of the worst cheap shots of the season.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1887 on: December 03, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
Gronk should get a game. That is one of the worst cheap shots of the season.

Suspended a game? I don't know, but he absolutely should've been ejected at that point.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: December 03, 2017, 03:15:17 PM »
He'll get fined.  That's it.  He was a dummy.  He apologized.   Frustrated for all the grabbing.  Dumb move on his part.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1889 on: December 03, 2017, 03:27:14 PM »
Let's be serious for a minute.

The NFL has talked big the last few years about how they care about concussions now.

Today had a player getting concussed when a play was over and a player on the other team dove at his head with clear malicious intent when he was still on the ground.  You don't get any more cheap than that, frustration or not.

It should be at least one game.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:34:43 PM by KevShmev »