Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 209320 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1785 on: November 21, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »
Best game ever.  The only way it could have been better is if LeBron James were standing on the sidelines, and Russell Wilson ran into him at full speed, causing both to suffer career-ending injuries and permanent paralysis.
Dude, that's effed up!  Russel Wilson is a class act.. That was a good game, I felt sorry for the Seahawks kicker. Otherwise would have went into OT.
 On a side note, I don't like the Green Bay Packers, but I was still bummed to see Aaron Rodgers get hurt. I don't wish that on anybody..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1786 on: November 21, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »
Dude, mellow out.  I'm joking about the injury part, which I thought would be obvious.  But that said, "Wilson" and "class act" do not belong in the same sentence.  Ever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1787 on: November 21, 2017, 09:59:09 AM »
I figured you were joking, but I still had to call you out on the Wilson thing. What makes him not a class act? He is a nice humble guy that does a lot of great things for the community. Unless there is dirt on him that I don't know about, I highly doubt it.
Btw Bosk1, I think you are really cool outside of this thread. Leave it to the competitive nature of football to stir things up  :lol. I'm a Seahawks fan and I tend to get a little defensive about RW.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:02:46 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1788 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »
Dallas is missing their stud RB and their best defensive player.  If Philly is as legit as they appear to be, they need to win this game.

I don't think it would've mattered if those guys were playing.  The coaching staff in Dallas has absolutely no clue how to adjust to situations and be creative.  Philly made adjustments at halftime and it worked.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1789 on: November 21, 2017, 10:44:40 AM »
Dallas is missing their stud RB and their best defensive player.  If Philly is as legit as they appear to be, they need to win this game.

I don't think it would've mattered if those guys were playing.  The coaching staff in Dallas has absolutely no clue how to adjust to situations and be creative.  Philly made adjustments at halftime and it worked.
With a more balanced O they probably don't need to make wholesale adjustments at the half. However, I agree that the fault lies with the coaching, and the team in general, more than the absence of EE. A decent club can play with what they have and not embarrass themselves. They also need to learn how to play without Sean Lee. You'd think by now they'd be used to it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1790 on: November 21, 2017, 06:11:36 PM »
Post-Week 11 Power Rankings

Top 10
1. Philadelphia - very well-rounded team
2. New England - defense is allowing 12 points per game the last six weeks
3. New Orleans - Drew Brees is still Drew Brees, when he needs to be
4. Pittsburgh - still not sure how good this team is, but hard to argue with 8-2
5. Minnesota - if Case Keenum keeps playing even just pretty good, this team will be a tough out
6. LA Rams - 30 points a game, yet only 10 against Seattle and then 7 against Minnesota
7. Carolina - could seriously contend if Cam Newton could ever learn how to be consistent again
8. Jacksonville - THE best defense in football this year
9. Atlanta - offense looks on track, finally
10. Detroit - Jim Caldwell has quietly down a good job up there in Detroit for years now

NFL MVP Top 5
1. Carson Wentz
2. Tom Brady
3. LeVeon Bell
4. Todd Gurley
5. Russell Wilson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1791 on: November 22, 2017, 07:39:49 AM »
NFL MVP Top 5
1. Carson Wentz
2. Tom Brady
3. LeVeon Bell
4. Todd Gurley
5. Russell Wilson

Interesting to include Bell in that list. In the eyes of the ever critical Steeler nation, he has largely had an underachieving season.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1792 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
NFL MVP Top 5
1. Carson Wentz
2. Tom Brady
3. LeVeon Bell
4. Todd Gurley
5. Russell Wilson

Interesting to include Bell in that list. In the eyes of the ever critical Steeler nation, he has largely had an underachieving season.

He's had a few good games, but not MVP caliber. Ben is the player that makes that team go. If he's off then they stagnate.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1793 on: November 22, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
6. LA Rams - 30 points a game, yet only 10 against Seattle and then 7 against Minnesota

Not really fair to hold what happened 5 games ago against them but the 7 point outing in their most recent game is certainly applicable. I say this because the Saints only had 12 before a garbage time TD against the Vikings in week 1 so they could also be lumped in with the Vikings if we're holding all teams equally accountable regardless of how far back in the season a dubious mark on their resume occurred.

NFL MVP Top 5
1. Carson Wentz
2. Tom Brady
3. LeVeon Bell
4. Todd Gurley
5. Russell Wilson

If you're using the criteria of "MVP=Player whose team would be most fucked if they weren't playing" then I can kinda understand Alvin Kamara's continual absence from that list but if you're using the criteria of "MVP=best overall player" then I'm confused as hell as to how someone who's hit the ground running (unintentional pun but I'm too lazy to rephrase it) as quickly and consistently as he has keeps getting left completely off the list every single week.

Even if using the first criteria, the Saints would likely have a much less potent offense in his absence since the run is shockingly setting up the pass after 11+ years of that NEVER being the case and Mark Ingram has shown for 5 seasons that he can't carry the running attack solo.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1794 on: November 23, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
NFL MVP Top 5
1. Carson Wentz
2. Tom Brady
3. LeVeon Bell
4. Todd Gurley
5. Russell Wilson

He's had a few good games, but not MVP caliber. Ben is the player that makes that team go. If he's off then they stagnate.

If we can assume then for the sake of argument that Roethlisberger is more valuable than Bell this year, then no Steeler makes my top 5.  Roethlisberger hasn't played well enough to even be in the honorable mentions of my MVP list.

If you're using the criteria of "MVP=Player whose team would be most fucked if they weren't playing" then I can kinda understand Alvin Kamara's continual absence from that list but if you're using the criteria of "MVP=best overall player" then I'm confused as hell as to how someone who's hit the ground running (unintentional pun but I'm too lazy to rephrase it) as quickly and consistently as he has keeps getting left completely off the list every single week.

Even if using the first criteria, the Saints would likely have a much less potent offense in his absence since the run is shockingly setting up the pass after 11+ years of that NEVER being the case and Mark Ingram has shown for 5 seasons that he can't carry the running attack solo.

Kamara has been great and makes their offense better, yes, but he's not a legit MVP candidate.

He is for one of my fantasy teams, however. :hat

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1795 on: November 23, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
I would go Brown, Ben, Bell in that order. Bell has already lost his explosiveness and is no longer a big receiving threat out of the backfield. If teams stack the box they can shut him down. Smith-Schuster is on the verge of being more valuable than Bell.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1796 on: November 23, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
Good night, Dallas.

So, this is one of the QB's that's surpassed Ben, eh?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1797 on: November 23, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »
No kidding. They suck. I thought they were supposed to be good.

And while I've liked Romo a lot, please keep him off Cowboys games.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1798 on: November 23, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »
LOL Dallas.  Stick a fork in those fuckin’ turkeys.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1799 on: November 23, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »
We're still gonna be stuck with seeing them in 5 prime time games next year anyway
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1800 on: November 24, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
It appears as if I, along with many others, was dead wrong about Dak Prescott.  I thought he was really good, not just a product of having a stud RB, but the last three games have said otherwise.  Having a subpar receiving corps and a coach who has no imagination sure doesn't help, but Prescott's plummet off the cliff since Zeke got suspended is stunning.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1801 on: November 24, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
I think he's trying to carry the entire load and he shouldn't have to. Dallas just isn't an organization that overcomes problems well. In a couple of years fickle Dallas fans will hate him, just like they did Romo, and he'll go somewhere else and do well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1802 on: November 24, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »
You are dead on that Dallas just isn't an organization that overcomes problems.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1803 on: November 24, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
In retrospect my comment was a probably a little harsher than I intended. The kid obviously has the skills to be a good QB, but he isn't there yet. Despite the league becoming more and more a passing league, the importance of a great RB continues to be very important to any team's success.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1804 on: November 24, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
I actually think a great RB is usually only important to the success of a few teams.

Look at the leadings backs in rushing yards on recent Super Bowl winners:

LeGarrette Blount
CJ Anderson
Jonas Gray
Marshawn Lynch
Ray Rice
Ahmad Bradshaw
Brandon Jackson
Pierre Thomas
Willie Parker
Brandon Jacobs
Joseph Addai

Not exactly a bunch of stud RBs there, is it? :)

While I don't think Prescott is as good as many of us thought, Dallas has got to upgrade their receiving corps. Dez is a shell of himself and is a terrible route runner; T. Williams and Butler are deep threats who both make a big play every five weeks seemingly; Witten is old; Beasley is a poor man's Amendola, who is a poor man's Edelman. They need to completely overhaul the WR position in the offseason, similar to how Philly did it this past offseason.  Philly went from having a shitty WR corps to having a very good one this year.

Not that you even need a great WR corps to win it all, but Dallas still needs an upgrade.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1805 on: November 25, 2017, 03:07:18 AM »
Without looking at any stats, I think some of those guys were really good backs for a short period of time, but over the long haul Lynch was probably the only one that was remarkable. If he had stayed retired we probably would view him in a much better light.

Some of them were probably good at the right time, then faded after those successful seasons.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1806 on: November 25, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
Pierre Thomas was extremely underrated. He was overshadowed by Reggie Bush then Darren Sproles while being every bit as significant of a play maker as either, if not more, for the entirety of the time he was with the Saints. In situations like this, I sometimes do research to prove my point with stats but I'm not sure whether that would convey what I'm trying to express anyway.

Basically, his amazing ability to work in space led to numerous TDs of 20+ yards that would've maxed out at a 10 yard gain for just about any other RB in the league. He literally may have been the finest screen executor in NFL history.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1807 on: November 25, 2017, 10:17:29 AM »
I think the point is that the big names, such as Peterson, Bell & McCoy aren't on the list.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1808 on: November 25, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Without looking at any stats, I think some of those guys were really good backs for a short period of time, but over the long haul Lynch was probably the only one that was remarkable. If he had stayed retired we probably would view him in a much better light.

Some of them were probably good at the right time, then faded after those successful seasons.

True.  Lynch is the only one on that list who has a prayer at making the Hall, although someone can still be great for a short time and still not be a HOFer (Ray Rice was great for a 2-3 year stretch, for example).

Pierre Thomas was extremely underrated. He was overshadowed by Reggie Bush then Darren Sproles while being every bit as significant of a play maker as either, if not more, for the entirety of the time he was with the Saints. In situations like this, I sometimes do research to prove my point with stats but I'm not sure whether that would convey what I'm trying to express anyway.

Basically, his amazing ability to work in space led to numerous TDs of 20+ yards that would've maxed out at a 10 yard gain for just about any other RB in the league. He literally may have been the finest screen executor in NFL history.

I totally agree.  I was a big fan of Pierre Thomas. He wasn't an every down back, but was always really good at being part of a committee, and could both run and catch it. Sean Payton is the master at getting RBs like that and getting the most out of them.

I think the point is that the big names, such as Peterson, Bell & McCoy aren't on the list.

Correct.  If you look at the best RBs of the 21st century (meaning backs who did not come into the league until the 2000s), the only top one who has won a ring so far is Lynch.  Tomlinson, Peterson, Bell,  Portis, Gore, McCoy, Forte, MJD, D Murray, S Alexander,  etc - nada rings.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1809 on: November 26, 2017, 02:50:08 AM »
https://instanthub.net/2017/11/02/top-10-quarterbacks-of-all-time/

The list was going so well, then it jumped the shark.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1810 on: November 26, 2017, 05:09:31 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1811 on: November 26, 2017, 07:25:46 AM »
Was that list written by a 4-year old?

These QBs made touchdowns?

Brady has won four of seven Super Bowls.  Um, what? :lol :lol :lol

Eli in the top 10? :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Troy Aikmen? :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1812 on: November 26, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
Hard to believe what a dumpster fire the Chiefs offense has turned into.  5 minutes left in the 2nd Q and they still do not have a 1st down, as they trail 10-0 at home to Buffalo. 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1813 on: November 26, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
It appears as if I, along with many others, was dead wrong about Dak Prescott.  I thought he was really good, not just a product of having a stud RB, but the last three games have said otherwise.  Having a subpar receiving corps and a coach who has no imagination sure doesn't help, but Prescott's plummet off the cliff since Zeke got suspended is stunning.

Dak is struggling no doubt, but we weren’t dead wrong.  He doesn’t have the same team he had last year.  The coaching staff has failed to adjust to changes in personnel.  That includes the defense.  The weight of a team can’t be put on just one or two guys.

I think he's trying to carry the entire load and he shouldn't have to. Dallas just isn't an organization that overcomes problems well. In a couple of years fickle Dallas fans will hate him, just like they did Romo, and he'll go somewhere else and do well.

I agree with the 1st part of your post, not the 2nd.  It’s too early to tell how Dak will bounce back, but like you said, he can’t do it alone.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: November 26, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
Holy shit Kansas City.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1815 on: November 26, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Holy shit Kansas City.

This is an implosion of epic proportions. They went from looking like the best team in the league to looking like one of the worst.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: November 26, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »
I was truly worried about them this year.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1817 on: November 26, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
KC is dead.  5 weeks ago, who would’ve thought?  Then again, an Andy Reid coached team is very unpredictable.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: November 26, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »
Ugly ugly scene between the Broncos and Raiders.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1819 on: November 26, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »
Talib is such a punk. I hate a punk like that being on my favorite team (although I realize that every team has at least one punk).