Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 211017 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #1085 on: September 19, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »
One player can rally a team if he's good enough and well respected in the locker room.  However, on the field or off, one player doesn't make or break a team.  It's always a collective effort.  A good example is the Giants.  Everyone was talking about the absence of OBJ in week 1.  If he plays in week 2, will that help the offense?  The answer was no because NY doesn't have an O line.  Granted that OBJ wasn't 100%, but even then it wouldn't matter.  Eli has no time to throw.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1086 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »
If it seems to you that Philip Rivers is always in a do-or-die situation in the 4th quarter, it's not a delusion:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2017/week-2-quick-reads

This is another good read if you're sick to death of check-downs:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/9/19/16332762/watchability-fun-football-boring-quality-of-play

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1087 on: September 19, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »
The Return of the Power Rankings!!!!
*snip*

I guess Hou, Ten, Wash, Sea, SF, LAR, and Jax are about as uneventful as they come?  Personally, I think SF should be in the bottom 5. (sorry bosk)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: September 19, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
*snip*

I guess Hou, Ten, Wash, Sea, SF, LAR, and Jax are about as uneventful as they come?  Personally, I think SF should be in the bottom 5. (sorry bosk)

You could throw my Giants down into the bottom 5 as well.  They are hard to watch with that oline.

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1089 on: September 19, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
Is the AFC south considered the weakest division this year? 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1090 on: September 19, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
Personally, I think SF should be in the bottom 5. (sorry bosk)
Until proven otherwise, I don't have a problem with that. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cable

« Reply #1091 on: September 19, 2017, 01:08:05 PM »

I reckon the South divisions have been the weakest the last handful of years. And yeah, AFC South no doubt due to the recent 8-8 or 9-7 winners. NFC South has recently done well though of course. AFC East is a candidate, just due to NE always owning it. Even if their record is worse in division vs. everyone else, them winning the division will always be cited as a result of a weak division.
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1092 on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:23 PM »
*snip*

I guess Hou, Ten, Wash, Sea, SF, LAR, and Jax are about as uneventful as they come? Personally, I think SF should be in the bottom 5. (sorry bosk)

I considered that, but they at least put up a fight on Sunday at Seattle, a difficult place to play, so I thought I would spare them that dishonor, for one week at least. :lol :biggrin:

Offline max_security

« Reply #1093 on: September 19, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »

I reckon the South divisions have been the weakest the last handful of years. And yeah, AFC South no doubt due to the recent 8-8 or 9-7 winners. NFC South has recently done well though of course. AFC East is a candidate, just due to NE always owning it. Even if their record is worse in division vs. everyone else, them winning the division will always be cited as a result of a weak division.

Browns and Pats should have been switched years ago imo. Cleveland and Cincinnati in the same div just doesn't seem right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1094 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:59 PM »
Yeah no. Just because the other three teams can't get their act together doesn't mean we have to move to another  division.  Besides East Coast team in the AFC South the thing that sounds silly?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1095 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »

Browns and Pats should have been switched years ago imo. Cleveland and Cincinnati in the same div just doesn't seem right.

The two of them along with Pittsburgh make sense being in a division geographically. The fourth team should be the colts in that division. Baltimore should be in the south.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline max_security

« Reply #1096 on: September 19, 2017, 06:46:23 PM »

The two of them along with Pittsburgh make sense being in a division geographically. The fourth team should be the colts in that division. Baltimore should be in the south.

Well , one Ohio team to NFC perhaps. It's like the Ravens and Redskins , it would really suck to be in the same division (Ravens fan here ). The Ohio teams are no fun this year for the North either way.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:51:27 PM by max_security »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1097 on: September 20, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
The NFL keeps insisting on putting shitty teams in prime time games. :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1098 on: September 20, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »
That game tomorrow night will be awful.  Then again, most Thursday night games are, but Rams/49ers is just ugly.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1099 on: September 21, 2017, 06:49:44 AM »
It's tough though because there are so many bad teams in the league. Odds are a lot of prime time games will have at least one stinker of a team.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1100 on: September 21, 2017, 07:37:19 AM »
Yeah no. Just because the other three teams can't get their act together doesn't mean we have to move to another  division.  Besides East Coast team in the AFC South the thing that sounds silly?

Aren't the Pats THE most easternmost team in the league?  Why would they be the ones to move? 

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1101 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »
That game tomorrow night will be awful.  Then again, most Thursday night games are, but Rams/49ers is just ugly.

Who knows?  Might be a close game, but ugly nonetheless. :lol  I didn't even come close to picking either of those teams in the survivor.  It was only a question of who's worse?  Dunno...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1102 on: September 21, 2017, 10:59:57 AM »

Who knows?  Might be a close game, but ugly nonetheless. :lol  I didn't even come close to picking either of those teams in the survivor.  It was only a question of who's worse?  Dunno...

Interesting you should say that.  I read an article a week or so ago that was arguing against the NFL having a dip in quality (although it was actually a poorly disguised pro-Kaepernick piece), and the whole argument really boiled down to:  the number of close games hasn't diminished; and since "close" = "good," the quality hasn't diminished significantly from the glory days of the NFL in the '80s to now.

I'm not sure why some equate "good" with "close."  A blowout can be a really amazing game.  A close game can be absolute rubbish.  Yeah, if you have a game coming down to the wire, that neverousness at the end makes it fun.  But that doesn't mean it was a "good" game, or doesn't mean it was any more "good" than a more one-sided game where the winner does some truly amazing things that are a joy to watch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1103 on: September 21, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
^ Yeah I agree - in no way does close =good for me. Two crap team playing poorly with a tied 3-3 score midway through the 4th isn't great entertainment.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1104 on: September 21, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1105 on: September 21, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »
LOL King  :lol

@Bosk1 Yeah, those are all good points.  So many different variables to good and bad games and not necessarily close games.  Also, there is the possibility of two mediocre teams playing each very well on a given night such as TNF.  Tonight could very well end up being a good game.  We'll see.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1106 on: September 21, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »
Well, ANY game the 49ers win is a "good" game, by definition, so there's that.  But otherwise, I'm not counting on anything.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: September 21, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »

I hope it's gonna be awesome!  Great rivalry so hopefully both teams will be up for it.  Hoping we whoop some niner azzz!!!!  :metal
Breaking out the "Mustard" Uni's again  :tup

Yeah..you heard me Bosky  :P

Offline max_security

« Reply #1108 on: September 21, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »
Man the uniforms look crazy  :omg:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1109 on: September 21, 2017, 08:05:04 PM »
Man the uniforms look crazy  :omg:

Yeah, I hate pastel-night.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: September 21, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »
Yeah.... HOW BOUT THAT!!!!!!!....... **mic drop**

Boring enough for y'all?

OK...had to say that :P  Seriously... damn... my Def. sucks!  BUT!  Seems I have an Offense all of the sudden?  Yet a suspect Defense... What a warped twist of fate.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1111 on: September 21, 2017, 11:19:24 PM »
Wow.  Losing to the Rams is a new low.  I'm stunned.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: September 22, 2017, 12:04:13 AM »
Wow.  Losing to the Rams is a new low.  I'm stunned.

Really??  :P

Offline Cable

« Reply #1113 on: September 22, 2017, 12:35:08 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20777856/lawyer-says-aaron-hernandez-had-advanced-stages-cte
https://www.tmz.com/2017/09/21/aaron-hernandezs-fiancee-sues-patriots-nfl-cte/

In her suit, Shayanna says she and her daughter are seeking "redress for the loss of parental consortium she has experienced based on the negligent conduct of Defendants that deprived her of the companionship and society of her father, Aaron Hernandez."

Piss off. At what point then was your fiancé negligent to your family by continuing to be a gang-banger? Once he was drafted, after his contract, or after the birth of your child? I say this as my career is in the c.j. system and as MH worker and I have zero empathy for this woman, or Hernandez. Sure, their kid- but she made that choice to be with the guy, you know what he liked to do and still did it. You got what you signed up before, because the risks are well known. Hernandez had the chance at many levels to turn away from the life, and didn't. Even worse that you didn't grow up in the life, but rather turned to it when you were a teen.

I have great empathy for CTE in gridiron players, so much that my attention to the game is wavering. In this case, the claim is ridonkulous IMO.
---

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1114 on: September 22, 2017, 03:19:26 AM »
Looks like the Rams and 49ers have rediscovered the lost art of scoring points. There's already been quite a few low-scoring games this year, including at least one where both teams were restricted to single-figures.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1115 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
Either that or it's the continued artistic display of bad defense.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1116 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:22 PM »
I think the Rams D will be okay.  Wade Phillips is a great DC and it takes time to adjust going from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

If nothing else, we are seeing a what clueless dope Jeff Fisher was when it came to offense.  Todd Gurley, all of a sudden, looks like the stud again that everyone thought he'd be.

Yes, I ended up watching more of last night's game than I intended to. :lol :lol

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1117 on: September 22, 2017, 06:12:23 PM »
I think the Rams D will be okay.  Wade Phillips is a great DC and it takes time to adjust going from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

If nothing else, we are seeing a what clueless dope Jeff Fisher was when it came to offense.  Todd Gurley, all of a sudden, looks like the stud again that everyone thought he'd be.

Yes, I ended up watching more of last night's game than I intended to. :lol :lol
To me it is twofold. Actually 3.

1) Goff was held back by Fisher.
2) Gurley is a monster.
3) Rams went out and signed one of the best offensive lineman in the game.

You can go get all the stud receivers, running backs, you want. If you do not have an offensive line, particularly left tackle. pack it in.

When Lane Johnson went down last year, Wentz had no chance, He has him now, and Wentz is a stud,

Ironically, the offensive lineman that the rams signed from the bengals, lol look at Dalton now. and they arguable have one of the top receivers in the game,

Diva wide receivers are a dime a dozen. Build the o line.

Look at the Seahaks and Giants. 2 of the best defenses in the league. Common thread, no o line. When your offense cant do shi, means your defense is on the field for 40 minutes. because of no o line

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1118 on: September 23, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
Yep, a good o-line is far more important than having a stud WR.  How many Super Bowl rings do Calvin Johnson, Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Julio Jones (low blow, I know), probably the five best WRs of the 10s, have?

It's crazy to see how bad o-lines are nowadays.  Shoot, what teams have very good/great o-lines? Dallas, Oakland, New England, maybe Tennessee and....??

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1119 on: September 23, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Yep, a good o-line is far more important than having a stud WR.  How many Super Bowl rings do Calvin Johnson, Odell Beckham, Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Julio Jones (low blow, I know), probably the five best WRs of the 10s, have?

It's crazy to see how bad o-lines are nowadays.  Shoot, what teams have very good/great o-lines? Dallas, Oakland, New England, maybe Tennessee and....??

You mention AB, but the problem isn't the o-line with the steelers. It's the secondary. In fact, I'd call the o-line on that team one of their strengths.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again