General > General Discussion

2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty

(1/639) > >>

black_biff_stadler:
2015 NFL THREAD
2014 NFL THREAD
2013 NFL THREAD
2012 NFL THREAD

It's interesting to think that with a Super Bowl title next year, the Pats can, in one fell swoop, manage to eliminate arguing points for all but one of the counterpoints against their claim to being the greatest NFL dynasty ever (the one being the Packers' 3peat from 1965-67.)

It'd give them 6 titles which no coach/QB nucleus has ever had within a continuous dynasty which gives them the leg up on the 60s Packers and 80s/90s 49ers as well as give them a second repeat so the Steelers wouldn't be able to have that claim to hold over the Pats' heads.

Interestingly enough, it'd be the second time the Pats have won 3 titles in 4 years with the second year of that span being the missing year.

I guess for now, I'd lean toward a Pats/Packers matchup for SB LII but I wouldn't even bet $10 on it. The Packers just happen to be the NFC team who's most difficult to argue against their worthiness as a SB contender at this point imo. In the AFC, I don't think any other team has even half the chance that the Patriots do to make it to the SB but upsets happen all the time so who knows.

TAC:
Why the Packers? What about Dallas? Do you think they'll come down to earth? And I am still not discounting the Falcons.

King Postwhore:
I hope you are correct Josh.  So damn weird to have the feeling every year that you could get to the SB.

El Barto:
So the Patriots have 61m in cap space right now, and it'll likely go up to 67m. Their free agency issues aren't all that bad, even after they dump a truck full of money onto Dont'a Hightower's front yard. Jimmy Garopalo is the best QB in the draft this year. Owner's of the top 3 picks all need QB's and JG is going to start a bidding war between them. A full NFL season is an impossible thing to predict, but the drop between the best bet and the second best is pretty steep. There's really no team other than NE to bank on right now.

Cable:
Belichick is a top three coach and GM ever IMO, with a great owner. Top 5 owner I'll say easily. So it would be unreasonable to expect other franchises to replicate something similar. Especially because no one has, and maybe no one will to this degree in this era or beyond.

That said, this just has continuously showed that it's not about a bunch of top players, but a system or community with people buying in as a unified 22. Well, 22+ with special teams. Why else the constant reloading with virtually perfectly sustained relevance. With my hometown team (DET) being my team B, and hearing CLE and CIN fans talk here in Ohio; oh man, we got this pick, and that pick. Maybe we can get _____. NFL is not about that vs. NBA, yet many teams and fans seem to still fall into that trap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version