Author Topic: Dream Theater Q&A Tilburg  (Read 7806 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Dream Theater Q&A Tilburg
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 06:15:15 AM »
It would be interesting if they "pulled a Marillion" and started to self fund albums and tours. Thatīs why those guys were in this business in the first place - playing for whoever wanted to hear them!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:18 AM »
I can't watch the video at this time. Did anyone ask about an Astonishing live release?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
I can't watch the video at this time. Did anyone ask about an Astonishing live release?
They don't have any plans of releasing anything soon given DVD sales are so low it's no longer a viable option, but nevertheless they might do a recording sometime soon.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »
They don't have any plans of releasing anything soon given DVD sales are so low it's no longer a viable option, but nevertheless they might do a recording sometime soon.

Balls.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
Confirmed by Jordan during the Q&A in Paris (the video will be available soon) : The Astonishing Live is over: no plans to record a DVD now, maybe in five years.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »
Confirmed by Jordan during the Q&A in Paris (the video will be available soon) : The Astonishing Live is over: no plans to record a DVD now, maybe in five years.

Heartbroken to hear this but I'm glad I saw the show twice.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »
I hope they release at least an audio version of the Astonishing show as a Christmas gift or something.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 05:48:02 PM »
That was a fun and relaxed Q&A.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
Really fun video. Thanks for posting.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 06:55:31 PM »

In other words, never gonna happen.  They have to be aware that the album didn't go over well with a lot of fans, and I am sure that is the main reason behind this decision. By doing the current tour and then working on the next album, they will be distancing themselves from the album even further.  Kind of a shame, considering how much great music is on that record, but it is what it is.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
It's probably a foregone conclusion that this tour won't have a live release either.

Somebody was quoting DT for saying that you just don't make much money with live DVDs. What bugs me is, I am absolutely sure people would gladly pay $10 for a video download of *their* concert. It would be cheap to set up, cheap to deliver, and make money for sure.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:55:08 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 03:42:09 AM »
It's probably a foregone conclusion that this tour won't have a live release either.

Somebody was quoting DT for saying that you just don't make much money with live DVDs. What bugs me is, I am absolutely sure people would gladly pay $10 for a video download of *their* concert. It would be cheap to set up, cheap to deliver, and make money for sure.

Pearl Jam does that. They record EVERY show they do and sell the mp3 and FLAC versions of it. But thereīs one key element in Pearl Jam thatīs missing in DT right now: every single night itīs a completely unique setlist.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2017, 04:28:25 AM »
That was a fun and relaxed Q&A.  :tup

I'm glad you like it. This concept is something I try to bring to as many places as possible - but it does require a local fan club chapter for us to be able to do this. This leg of the tour we managed to do 3 q&a's, and we've previously done Norway, Italy and Argentina.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2017, 04:30:50 AM »
I have a question - why do usually only JP and JR do Q&As? Maybe it would be fun to include JLB once.  :tup

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2017, 04:53:03 AM »
MM was at the Q&A in Paris, as well as the full band at the Q&A in Milan last year.

But reality is, the two that feel most comfortable with the Q&A format is JP and JR.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »
Oh, OK. I wasn't aware of that, maybe because there were probably no videos. And yeah, JR and JP are clearly the most comfortable with doing Q&As.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2017, 06:33:18 AM »

Perhaps there is data saying I'm wrong, but I wouldn't put concert dvds in the same realm as cinematic dvds. People who want movies have gone the way of streaming services, but they types of people that buy music dvds are a different breed, IMO. I'm very apprehensive to buy a new dvd of a movie. I don't think I have since the director's cut of Avatar came out, and the two before that were other editions of Avatar, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick up a new live DT release.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2017, 06:44:52 AM »
I'm still buying concert dvd's.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youīre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
People don't anymore because everything is on YouTube now.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »

The worst part of this whole thing now is that there's next to no Astonishing footage on Youtube, and the majority of the select few videos are pure shit. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »
Anyone know if there are any affordable hotels near the venue in Tilburg?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youīre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »

The worst part of this whole thing now is that there's next to no Astonishing footage on Youtube, and the majority of the select few videos are pure shit.
I know :/ I really had my hopes up for a video release of this tour because it was so unlike anything they've done before, but shit happens.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Evai

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
Maybe it could be down to JLB's live voice not being in a condition good for recording, without heavy overdubbing?
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »
Maybe it could be down to JLB's live voice not being in a condition good for recording, without heavy overdubbing?

I saw The Astonishing live 3 times... any of those shows would have been fine for a live release. He was on point the entire tour.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Thanks for posting! there were a couple of really good questions there, specially the last two. It's really sad what John said at the end, that live albums don't sell as much anymore. It's one of the reasons why we probably won't get a live TA blue ray  :'(

Sucks, another consequence of "fans" pirating or otherwise not supporting bands.

That is far from the only reason Live albums don't sell well.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »

I would think if it was self-produced and self-released and distributed by them personally, they could make money.  It would take the middle man out.    Are they allowed to do something like that while under contract?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
I would assume that the band has considered all possibilities. One potential concern with allowing downloads of each show is that the quality might stink, at least relative to an official live release. Some artists are very particular about only releasing high quality stuff, which is completely understandable.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
I would assume that the band has considered all possibilities. One potential concern with allowing downloads of each show is that the quality might stink, at least relative to an official live release. Some artists are very particular about only releasing high quality stuff, which is completely understandable.

A cellphone mounted on a tripod and unmastered audio from the board would have probably been better quality than Chaos in Motion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
Given all the amazing live releases they've put out over the years, they might as well drop it for a while now. I think up to a few years ago, it was in vogue for bands to release a live DVD for a single tour. Nowadays, it's not the case anymore. Steven Wilson isn't releasing anything, for many reasons including the fact that it makes the tour more special if it isn't documented. And even that makes sense to an extent.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
I think there's a good chance that they had planned to film something at the end of the second leg, but the attendance just wasn't there and they nixed it. I just have a really hard time imagining that with all the hooplah surrounding TA (game, book etc), they didn't want a recording of it.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »
Umphrey's McGee records every show and you can purchase them online. It can't be that hard or expensive to do. And they sound good too
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »
It would also have the nice side effect that fewer people would try to film the whole concert with their phones.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »
This leg of the tour we managed to do 3 q&a's, and we've previously done Norway, Italy and Argentina.
Were you behind the Q&A at Luna Park last year? Thanks a lot, it was a great time.

Here is the link to the Q&A of the French fan club (video, text and pics)
Congratulations, and thanks for the transcription.