Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 36392 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »
He posted that in early January he might have some "very exciting news" for us, but an illness put him under for a week and he said that that news would end up being delayed.

To me this means:

The fact that his illness delayed it means it must be related to the book. After all, if he gets ill it doesn't interfere with the series or the games.

It was probably going to be a release date, or rather the news that he is finally done. If he was planning to tell us early this month and only got put down for a week, I think we can expect an announcement within a month or two.

While you're waiting, I highly recommend that everyone check's out Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. It's the first of 3 in a trilogy (second part comes out in March) and it's an extremely well written piece of fantasy literature. Maybe not as dark as ASOIAF but still very good. Check out www.patrickrothfuss.com for a preview of the novel.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:15 PM »
yorost, I don't think that final part of your post is true at all. Originally, AFFC was going to take place five years after A Storm of Swords, and he originally began to write it as such. But he realized that was silly because he'd need to fill in all the details of what happened in that time jump, with flashbacks and the like, which wouldn't work out smoothly so he started again from scratch. Also worth noting is that AFFC and ADWD take place at the same time (I believe).

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
yorost, I don't think that final part of your post is true at all. Originally, AFFC was going to take place five years after A Storm of Swords, and he originally began to write it as such. But he realized that was silly because he'd need to fill in all the details of what happened in that time jump, with flashbacks and the like, which wouldn't work out smoothly so he started again from scratch. Also worth noting is that AFFC and ADWD take place at the same time (I believe).

They do, though ADWD will have some parts that extend past the end of Feast, because there are more Arya chapters and some other characters from Feast have PoVs as well.

The main thing I'm looking forward to so much about Dance over Feast is that Feast didn't really focus on the characters I'm interested in. Dance will have Tyrion and Jon back, and that's enough.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
Also worth noting is that AFFC and ADWD take place at the same time (I believe).

As far as I know this is correct, with ADWD filling in the rest of the POV characters we didn't see in AFFC. That is, Tyrion, Jon and Daenerys, among other.

Edit: Oh Geno ninja'd me
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
I cannot wait for DwD.  I really hope he doesn't take half a decade per book after this.

Also, is anyone not really excited for the HBO series? I have this thing where I don't want to watch shows/movies based on books that I've read (especially ones that I really enjoy). Martin has been able to create this fantastic universe for me, and I feel that watching the HBO series would taint that universe.  

I had the same problem (in reverse) with LOTR.  I saw the movies before I read the book, and this made it very hard for me to get into the series because I had all these preconceived ideas on how things were supposed to look/be.  With ASOiaF, I don't want the HBO series to change my conceptions of the series, so I may just not watch it. I dunno tho, just a strange idea I have.

And Genowyn Rothfuss's The Name of The Wind is absolutely amazing.  I read it over the summer (in 3 days, it was that good) and I cannot wait for The Wise Man's Fear.  Great story, and a cool way of telling it (primarily first person).

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 03:37:57 PM »
Hopefully the fact that most of the content in the duology of FfC and DwD wasn't meant to be books in the series but gleaned from the characters memories in the later books really just made this a pain in the ass for him to write.  At least if that is true he might go considerably quicker with the final two books.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at here. Care to expand?

No, I am definitely correct on that point, and what you wrote explains most of it.  Feast for Crows was never supposed to be a book in the series until he was already writing Dance with Dragons.  As you pointed out he basically scrapped the structure and began a salvage job of adding in story for the time he planned on skipping.  This resulted in Feast for Crows, which eventually got too big and was partly split off into Dance with Dragons.

What now consists of most or all of Feast for Crows and the concurrently timed material in Dance with Dragons is the material he went back and decided had to be added into the series.  This is the part of the story we were supposed to learn in memories and flashbacks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:10:23 PM by yorost »

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
I cannot wait for DwD.  I really hope he doesn't take half a decade per book after this.

Also, is anyone not really excited for the HBO series? I have this thing where I don't want to watch shows/movies based on books that I've read (especially ones that I really enjoy). Martin has been able to create this fantastic universe for me, and I feel that watching the HBO series would taint that universe.  

I had the same problem (in reverse) with LOTR.  I saw the movies before I read the book, and this made it very hard for me to get into the series because I had all these preconceived ideas on how things were supposed to look/be.  With ASOiaF, I don't want the HBO series to change my conceptions of the series, so I may just not watch it. I dunno tho, just a strange idea I have.

I can understand your concern, but I feel that if the series is well handled with the proper care and love for the material (as the LOTR films were), the product can be spectacular.

Also, Sean Bean is literally how I pictured Ned. He is the perfect casting.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Keyboardframe

• Banned from P/R
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
For those not in the know, the POV characters for A Dance With Dragons are (SPOILERS):

Jon
Tyrion
Dany
Asha
Davos
Quentyn
Bran
Reek (Theon)
Cersei
Arya
Melisandre
Varamyr Sixskins (prologue)

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
What now consists of most or all of Feast for Crows and the concurrently timed material in Dance with Dragons is the material he went back and decided had to be added into the series.  This is the part of the story we were supposed to learn in memories and flashbacks.

I believe what has been given Martin the most trouble (and hence, the best explanation for the massive amount of time in writing) with aDwD is what he refers to as the "Mereenese Knot." Quentyn, Tyrion, Victarion, Marwyn and perhaps others all meet Danaerys in Meereen at roughly the same point in the book. All of the overlapping POVs combined with the fact that it's a hugely pivotal moment in the series have made it a nightmare to get right.

If I've been reading the updates properly, he's close to resolving it, but he still has reservations and feels that some readers will have issue with the story. Either way, I'm sure it will be amazing, and I'm confident that he won't die before the series is complete - yes, many, many aSoIaF fans are rather concerned about that happening.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »
Now is a bad time to mention Robert Jordan?  I'm not worried about it, but it does happen.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
Now is a bad time to mention Robert Jordan?  I'm not worried about it, but it does happen.

Even if that does happen, then as long as he has extensive enough notes prepared for the remaining novels, I'm sure they would get someone to finish them (if his spouse so chose, much like Brandon Sanderson for the Wheel of Time).

I certainly hope this isn't the case, as one of the greatest fantasy series of all times deserves a decent ending.

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »
https://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

July 12! According to Martin, the publication date of A Dance with Dragons has been set for Tuesday, July 12th!

Odd that a date has been set despite the book not even being completed, yet, but George himself has actually confirmed this. 6 years of waiting, (11, if you consider this book to be just the other half of aFFC) but at long last it's finally coming!

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
:caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »
Wow that is so awesome!  July 12th is my wife's b-day and we've both been very anxiously awaiting this book.  She's going to flip when I tell her!!  Next thing you know DT is gonna announce the new drummer!  :lol

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
NO WAY! THAT'S AMAZING NEWS.

Too bad I'll have to wait another half year for it took come out in trade ('cuz I'm cheap like that)

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
By the way

It was probably going to be a release date, or rather the news that he is finally done. If he was planning to tell us early this month and only got put down for a week, I think we can expect an announcement within a month or two.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »
YES!!!!  finally!

:omg: :hefdaddy :hat

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Demi Zenith

• DT.net Member
  • Somewhere far beyond your reality
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
New trailer for Game of Thrones:

https://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/
This looks so awesome. The Wall is exactly as I pictured it. And I'm looking forward to seeing some of Dany's costumes...So hoping it isn't shite. Film and TV have such a poor record with Fantasy and there's no real reason why that should be a the sources out there are so cinematic to begin with. And with fx being what they are now there really is no excuse.
I can't wait for an adaptation of Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamorra, and Gemmell's Legend needs doing too.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
oh dear god  :eek :eek

...and Petyr Baelish looks EXACTLY what I imagined him to be.  Wow!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
You imagined him looking exactly like the mayor of Baltimore?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2011, 06:48:53 AM »

Too bad I'll have to wait another half year for it took come out in trade ('cuz I'm cheap like that)
You do know that if you buy popular books right when they're released you can usually find them at a price only a few dollars above what the trade will eventually sell for?  Ebooks are also typically around trade price for new releases if you don't mind reading on a computer screen.  As for not having a physical copy, trades hardly retain value, better than mass market, so you can pick up the version of your choice cheap down the road.  You could also possibly find a library.  I lived in Canada, I know you have them.

Offline Space Invader

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2011, 07:43:57 AM »

You do know that if you buy popular books right when they're released you can usually find them at a price only a few dollars above what the trade will eventually sell for?  Ebooks are also typically around trade price for new releases if you don't mind reading on a computer screen.  As for not having a physical copy, trades hardly retain value, better than mass market, so you can pick up the version of your choice cheap down the road.  You could also possibly find a library.  I lived in Canada, I know you have them.

Yeah, but I have a weird thing about books. I like to own them, but I really dislike hardcover copies for some reason. I guess I could read it from a library and then buy it later...I hadn't thought of that.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
New POV for A Dance With Dragons revealed:

Barristan Selmy
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
New POV for A Dance With Dragons revealed:

Barristan Selmy

YES
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
AWESOME

...my name is Araragi.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
Somebody isn't happy.

https://grrm.livejournal.com/224067.html

I am not happy about this. My publishers are furious.

If we find out who is responsible, we will mount his head on a spike.

A Dance with Dragons was shipped early in Germany by Amazon.  Not to too many, but one is enough.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »
This happened like a week and half ago I thought.

The internet is swarming with spoilers, so I haven't even gone near any sites where I might find them.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »
It may have, I was just amused by his response.  I'm just waiting for the book, but I doubt I'm going to get to read it for a few months. :(

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Dumbledore dies at the end.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 07:07:11 AM »
So Amazon is saying either today or tomorrow...hopefully today.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
I have it

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
Finished it yesterday.

SPOILER SPACE

MORE SPOILER SPACE

MORE SPOILER SPACE

MORE SPOILER SPACE (is there a better way to do spoilers, btw?)

Anyway, here we go. Some thoughts:

I'd actually be more surprised if [redacted] stayed dead. There seems to be a pretty easy-ish way to bring him/her back in the next book. Probably the biggest game changer here, either way.

My only major complaint with ADWD is that it could have been trimmed down somewhat, particularly with regards to Mereen and The Wall. Even then, the Wall plot was actually fine, just a bit too padded. The Mereen parts though.... I dunno. Too much of nothing happened there until like, page 700, and then HOLYSHITAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEYEAAAAAA, and then..... right before we get to the climax, the book ends. TWOW better open with a bang (I'm pretty sure it will too, I read somewhere that Martin's editors forced him to move the climax of ADWD to the next book because the page length was getting too long).

The War in the North was awesome. I totally missed the part with the pie until I read about it online :lol Bran's parts were quite interesting as well. I enjoyed the return to Jaime and Cersei's stories. Ser Robert Strong seems like a pretty interested development. Poor Kevan.

The reveal of [redacted] as the [redacted] came a bit out of left field for me, but I like how Tyrion responded to it. This could either be a really cool thing or a really meh thing, depending on how the next few books play out. Cautiously optimistic so far.

The writing, overall, was excellent. Hopefully the next one will come out soon. Maybe  :P

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:54:31 PM by Jamariquay »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:20 AM »
Pork pie.  PORK PIE