Author Topic: Greatest live albums!  (Read 9729 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Greatest live albums!
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
Old school:

Genesis - Seconds Out
The Allman Bros Band - At Fillmore East
Jethro Tull - Bursting Out
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same and How The West was Won
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Rainbow - On Stage
Wishbone Ash - Live Dates 1 and 2

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »

There are plenty of great live ones, but this one really encompasses every great song that the band had up until it was recorded.  It features their classic lineup, short of having Randy Shawver on lead guitar, and they just rip through song after song after song, usually at a faster tempo than the studio versions.  3 discs, 30+ songs, absolute perfection.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 07:28:15 AM »
Y&T - Live on the Friday Rock Show

???  Really?  I don't think that disk is very good at all.  I will easily take their other 3 official live releases over that one any day.  :dunno:

Just remembered a couple that definitely are not the same genre we are discussing, but still really good, IMO:
-Fleetwood Mac, The Dance:  It is mindblowing that these guys could sound so good and play so well together after so many years, not to mention so many years apart due to breakups, hiatuses, etc.
-Garth Brooks, Double Live:  This album makes me think I would have a blast if I ever had the opportunity to go to one of his shows.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 09:29:10 AM »
-Fleetwood Mac, The Dance:  It is mindblowing that these guys could sound so good and play so well together after so many years, not to mention so many years apart due to breakups, hiatuses, etc.

I haven't heard that one, but the classic live one from the 80's is GREAT!  Mr. Lindsay Buckingham plays his butt off on it.

-Garth Brooks, Double Live:  This album makes me think I would have a blast if I ever had the opportunity to go to one of his shows.

And you would.   Really good show, even if the music isn't always your cup of tea.  The guy gives 1000% every show, and it's a really fun time (the time I saw him, I was also blown away when he took an acoustic guitar, sat down at the front of the stage, and held 20,000 people enrapt as he played "Night Moves" and "American Band" and the audience was stone silent.  you could have heard a pin drop.  Really moving from a guy that isn't known for his subtlety). 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »

There are plenty of great live ones, but this one really encompasses every great song that the band had up until it was recorded.  It features their classic lineup, short of having Randy Shawver on lead guitar, and they just rip through song after song after song, usually at a faster tempo than the studio versions.  3 discs, 30+ songs, absolute perfection.

I've always called this the Frampton Comes Alive of heavy metal. It's all you really need from them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »

I haven't heard that one, but the classic live one from the 80's is GREAT!  Mr. Lindsay Buckingham plays his butt off on it.

Yes, he does.  But he does on that one as well.  If you are a fan, I HIGHLY recommend getting the DVD and watching it (or doing so on YouTube).  I can't say it is "better" than the '80s one.  But the different perspective playing so many years later (and the subtle differences in how some of the songs are done) is very worthwhile.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »
Any excuse to watch Lindsay.  I think he is criminally underrated as a guitar player.   Easily in same league as some of the greats, he just doesn't play a form of music that showcases the sort of showmanship that the Hendrixes of the world do.   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »
Y&T - Live on the Friday Rock Show

???  Really?  I don't think that disk is very good at all.  I will easily take their other 3 official live releases over that one any day.  :dunno:

I just played it a lot at the time. Could easily have put Open Fire there but it's too short. Great live band.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Any excuse to watch Lindsay.  I think he is criminally underrated as a guitar player.   Easily in same league as some of the greats, he just doesn't play a form of music that showcases the sort of showmanship that the Hendrixes of the world do.   

And without a pick, no less.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »
I can't BELIEVE that BOSTON has never put out a live album or concert video. I've seen them 5 times and they were amazing every time. I know Tom Scholz is a stickler about sound, but they have enough performances under their belt that I'm sure they have caught lightning in a bottle live and could have released it..  :huh:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
Personal favorites:

Fishmans - 98.12.28
Oceansize - Feed to Feed
Cardiacs - All That Glitters is a Mares Nest
Swans - Swans are Dead
Neil Young - Live Rust
Mogwai - Special Moves
Blackfield - Live in NYC
Pain of Salvation - 12:5
Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine
Alice in Chains - MTV Unplugged

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm amazed how long it took for Live After Death to be listed.

Another one for me that may not fall into too many discussions on this board is Billy Joel's Songs In The Attic.  Live versions of deeper cuts with his long-time touring band.  So much energy.  One of my all-time favorite albums ever.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
If you're a fan, ALL his live albums are pretty good.  "Captain Jack" from the last concert at Shea is must listening for any Joel fan.  It is, in my opinion, far and away the best version of that song. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
Then in that case, let me just tempt you in with this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZp76M4NGc

The prosecution rests.

Online OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »
I saw Metallica's S&M mentioned. What I did not see mentioned was the definitive Metallica live experience up to that point: Live Shit - Binge & Purge (Live in Mexico City)

That album kicks SO much ass. The first two discs have always been some of my favorite versions of those songs, and up until S&M was released, you didn't get too much live Metallica.

Another honorable mention goes to the Through the Never soundtrack. I was really blown away by that album. It really sounds great, with tight performances and a very good setlist.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 08:30:38 PM »
The first live album I ever bought is Frampton comes alive. Boy, what a great album. Of course I still have it and still listen to it from time to time. It has been recorded in a big venue but you feel like it's in a small place with some of Frampton's accoustic songs and the response from the crowd. And the crescendo build for the ending of Do you feel like we do, wow, what a feeling.

Another live album I really like is Led Zep The song remains the same. The band is at their peak, vocally and musicaly, John Bonham is still playing great and the songs are all good classics.

Even though Rush is my favorite band, Exit stage left has never been one of my favorite live album simply because the sound is awful. It could have been clearer. It's like they never got a clean sound from any of the instruments and the vocals.  The live All the world's a stage is better to listen to. It's raw, pure and in your face.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 08:33:58 PM »
   The live All the world's a stage is better to listen to. It's raw, pure and in your face.

Love the live version of In The End. :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »
I can't BELIEVE that BOSTON has never put out a live album or concert video. I've seen them 5 times and they were amazing every time. I know Tom Scholz is a stickler about sound, but they have enough performances under their belt that I'm sure they have caught lightning in a bottle live and could have released it..  :huh:

Wow, you're lucky. Have you seen them with Brad Delp? They have always been one of my favorite bands but hasn't tour much in Montreal. Delp's death has been a heartbraking thing for me.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »
   The live All the world's a stage is better to listen to. It's raw, pure and in your face.

Love the live version of In The End. :metal

Oh yeah, it rocks!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Jellyfish - Radio Jellyfish (2013)
Foals - Live at Royal Albert Hall (2014)
Dean Magraw's Red Planet - Space Dust (2009)
dredg - Live at the Fillmore (2006)
Pain of Salvation - 12:5 (2004)
Transatlantic - Live in Europe (2003)
Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy (2000)
Jimi Hendrix - Stages (1991)
Rush - A Show of Hands (1989)
Rush - Exit...Stage Left (1981)
The Billy Cobham / George Duke Band - "Live" - On Tour in Europe (1976)
Genesis - Live (1973)
Yes - Yessongs (1973)
Deep Purple - Made in Japan (1972)
The Who - Live at Leeds (1970)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 10:11:40 PM »

Wow, you're lucky. Have you seen them with Brad Delp? They have always been one of my favorite bands but hasn't tour much in Montreal. Delp's death has been a heartbraking thing for me.
Yes, I've seen them three times with Brad Delp, 1988, 1997, 2003. The 1997 Walk-On/Greatest hits tour was probably the most epic spectacular concert I have ever seen. They had Brad Delp on lead vocals, and Fran Cosmo. Curly Smith on drums, David Sykes on Bass, and of course Tom Scholz and Gary Pihl on duel guitars and Hammond organ/pipe organ/ keys. They played a 3hr show at The Gorge amphitheater that night and the band was on fire!!! I'll have to say I've seen Rush, Dream Theater, and Yes several times, and the BOSTON show has stayed stronger in my memory banks. That's saying alot!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:48:26 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2017, 02:04:36 AM »
[img][https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Friday_Night_in_San_Francisco.jpg/img]

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2017, 02:49:37 AM »
[img][https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Friday_Night_in_San_Francisco.jpg/img]
The link didn't work..

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »

This is what Lowdz had in mind. Some serious shredding going on there.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2017, 08:39:56 AM »
My personal favourite is without Coma Divine by Porcupine Tree. Pretty much most of the best material from their early career executed flawlessly. Good to see it's been mentioned (once :p). It's actually my favourite Porcupine Tree record and a top 10 album overall for me.

Another favourite is On the Two Deaths Of... by Pain of Salvation. Stellar performances from some great songs. Even the Scarsick songs come out great. It caught the band at the peak of that particular line-up.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
For the era, and what they did for the artists' careers:

'Frampton Comes Alive'
'KISS Alive!' ('recorded' at Cobo Hall in Detroit)
'Live Bullet', Bob Seger (recorded at Cobo Hall in Detroit)
'Blow Your Face Out', The J. Geils Band (recorded at The Boston Garden, and, you guessed it, Cobo Hall in Detroit)

They are simply very good, solid, memorable, ....and fun releases.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:02:45 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:32 PM »
Anathema's Universal is just transcendental  :hefdaddy

And LTE's live in LA is mindblowing too!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
This isn't even really close to prog....but for any old school thrash fans.

I still believe that Iron Maiden's Live After Death is the greatest live album of all time.    But a **VERY** close #2 would be Raven's "Live at the Inferno".   That album just absolutely shreds.   Some of you may remember that Metallica opened up for Raven on the "Kill Em All For One" tour, and Live at the Inferno was recorded on that tour.  No overdubs.   Just pure raw energy.   Those guys put on a show like nothing I've ever seen.   Seriously the most underrated band of early thrash.   The story of Anvil could have easily been written about Raven.   And I think Raven were a *FAR* better band. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
Metallica - Binge & Purge and S&M

Green Day - Bullet in a Bible

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2017, 02:31:31 PM »
Dire Straits - Alchemy
Level 42 - A Physical Presence
Ayreon - The Theater Equation
Magnum - The Spirit

Just to name a few that haven't been mentioned yet
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2017, 02:37:41 PM »

This album has way too many screaming fans from what I remember. It kind of spoils it for me (although I probably haven't listened to it in like 10 years), other than that it was pretty good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »

This is what Lowdz had in mind. Some serious shredding going on there.

It is indeed. Cheers.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »
I really like Ending Themes by POS which I forgot to mention.  That got me into the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »

This album has way too many screaming fans from what I remember. It kind of spoils it for me (although I probably haven't listened to it in like 10 years), other than that it was pretty good.

yeah, but the live version of "Jesus of Suburbia" is worth the cost of the whole record.   I'm not a huge Green Day fan, and don't at all believe they should be anywhere near the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but that song...  MONSTER.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2017, 08:09:56 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...