Author Topic: Greatest live albums!  (Read 9705 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Greatest live albums!
« on: February 09, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
Aside from all the great studio albums, what are the greatest live albums from any band in your opinion?  Maybe you guys can give me a heads up to some great live albums that I've missed out on.  I have a long list of live stuff, but I'll start by listing just one of my favs.
 Rush - Exit Stage Left
 This is the definitive live album that got me into Rush. Incredible!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Greatest live albums!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
Queensryche - Operation: LIVEcrime -- https://anybodylistening.net/operationlivecrime.html

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
Iced Earth - Alive in Athens
It pretty much sums up their early catalog. And it's damn good performance :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:54:36 AM »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
Kind of an obvious one but Metallica S&M is the first one that springs to mind  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »
Man, that's a tough one.  There are lots of really good ones out there.  But it seems like bands have really upped their game on live albums as time has gone on.  Hard to say how much of that is attributable to tighter performances, much more substantial backing tracks, or post-production wizardry (including substituting studio performances with "live" performances).  But there have been lots of really good ones.  I won't get into video, because that is an entirely different animal.  But just in terms of CD live albums (that are not DT), here are some of my favorites:

From back in the '80s and early '90s:
-The aforementioned Operation: Livecrime -- Man, SUCH a great live album.  This one had it all.  I have no idea how much this release may have been doctored after the fact.  But even if it was, those of us lucky enough to have seen the band on this tour know that they brought it, and that the final product we got on this release was very much consistent with the band's live shows.
-Y&T, Yesterday & Today Live -- From Y&T's last performance on their "farewell tour" before they reunited several years later.  Terrific song selection.  Terrific performance.  This is probably one of my desert island disks.
-Scorpions, World Wide Live -- I don't care that this is cobbled together from multiple shows or that it had extensive post-production doctoring.  It is awesome.
-Dokken, Beast from the East -- Classic.
-Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder -- This and Pulse are both fantastic. 

Modern:
-Epica, Retrospect -- I would rather listen to this than their studio albums.  And I regularly do just that.
-Within Temptation, Black Sympony -- The only problem with this performance is that the guitars are a bit low in the mix and get buried by the orchestra, so even the heavier songs don't sound as heavy.  But still a fantastic album.
-Nightwish, End of an Era -- Such an amazing performance.  If you like the Tarja era of the band, it doesn't get any better, despite Tarja and Marco being sick.
-Neal Morse, Morsefest 2014 -- He has so many great live albums, but I went with this one both because of the set list and the performance.
-Transatlantic, Live in London -- Well, the Whirlwind is my favorite album from them, so...
-Def Leppard, Viva Hysteria -- Mirrorball was surprisingly fantastic as well, but Viva Hysteria is exactly what fans of Def Leppard could want in a live album.
-Stryper, 7 Weeks -- When I think about seeing the band live, I listen to this disk and think, "why bother?  It won't be any better than this."

I could list many more, but that is a good start.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »

Oh, totally this as well!! This album sounds HUGE and the live version of Dark Matters is better than the studio version imo!! Sooooooo good, I might just go and listen to it now!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 12:09:07 PM »

Oh, totally this as well!! This album sounds HUGE and the live version of Dark Matters is better than the studio version imo!! Sooooooo good, I might just go and listen to it now!
S&M I agree with as well, but this is easily my #1 choice. One of the only live albums I can recall at this instant where the songs are infinitely better than the originals, literally all of them.

Dream Theater's BTFW is up there for me as well, love the setlist and especially (apart from the finale of the song which I think James ruins) Illumination Theory is very well done.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 12:12:07 PM »
Wow, good list bosk1 !  I agree about Scorpions World Wide Live, fantastic! Also Operation Livecrime!  I'll have to check out the Y&T and Nightwish ones..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »
-Dokken, Beast from the East -- Classic.

Also, Judas Priest's Unleashed in the East.

I was a big fan of the live disc on Joe Satriani's Time Machine album.  Cheap Trick at Budokan.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »
I was gonna say that, but I've never actually listened to it, to be able to recommend it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »
I was gonna say that, but I've never actually listened to it, to be able to recommend it.
I own it.  It's really pretty good, which makes sense, since it sold a gajillion copies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 12:36:16 PM »
Metallica - S&M
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »

-The aforementioned Operation: Livecrime -- Man, SUCH a great live album.  This one had it all.  I have no idea how much this release may have been doctored after the fact.  But even if it was, those of us lucky enough to have seen the band on this tour know that they brought it, and that the final product we got on this release was very much consistent with the band's live shows.

bosk -- most likely not a ton. They recorded either two or three shows in succession for it, and from what the band has said over the years, they only made two small mistakes total over the three nights. Michael broke a string, and Geoff messed up the lyrics once to something. Other than that, they have said any of the shows could have been used by itself. Like most live records, I am sure a little bit of overdubbing was done, but Livecrime doesn't have a lot of it. A real testament to just how good they were back then, and how dialed in.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 12:52:08 PM »
Yeah, makes sense. 

Fun fact:  I did not yet have a CD player at the time it was released, so I almost bought the cassette/VHS edition of the box set.  But the local record shop only had one more of that, and my friend who was with me wanted it as well.  So since I knew I would ultimately be getting a CD player in the near future, and I knew I would likely want to upgrade to CD at some point anyway because this was definitely something to keep in the collection for the long term, I bought the CD/VHS combo.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »
Can't believe we're this far in and no one has mentioned the grand-daddy of all live albums, the lord of lords, the king of kings...

Live After Death.    A great document from a great tour from a great band at the height of their powers.

And if that's not your grand-daddy-o, how about Made In Japan by Purple? 

Though for me, "Three Sides Live" is my number one, just for the "In The Cage Medley" (the start of the actual medley is my favorite recorded moment in music.  I love when they kick into the Cinema Show closing section).

Alive! is on my list, as is Cheap Trick at Budokan.  I put Aerosmith Live Bootleg on there, too, and Yessongs.  Yes, I know it's "muddy", but it's a classic.  Zappa's Roxy & Elsewhere is great, too. 

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »
UFO - Strangers in the Night. Great song selection and fantastic performance. The version of Love to Love is unbeatable, especially the ending solo. I also love Phil Mogg's between song banter on the album. "They're changing the mics can I fill in? I dunno what 'can I feel in' means, whether I should tell a few jokes or possibly reveal myself"

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes. Again, great song selection and a great performance from the band.

Tesla - Five Man Acoustical Jam. So many great things to say about this album. What stands out to me is how great the crowd is, really getting into the show and singing along and everything. I also love the covers they added in, and like SITN, Jeff Keith and the rest of the band provide some great banter between the songs. It just sounds like everyone there had such a great time, and it's cool that they were able to capture that so well on the album.

Golden Earring - Live. A band that really does not get as much attention as they deserve. I heard the version of Eight Miles High from this album and was intrigued, so I bought the album and Golden Earring quickly became one of my favorite bands. Can't think of a single bad thing about this album, easily my favorite live album ever.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
I used to love a good live album back in the day but I fell out of love with them over time. They lost something and I'm not sure what. I'd be more likely to watch a live DVD blu ray these days than listen to a live album, these classics aside.

KISS - Alive I and II
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East
Whitesnake - Live In The Heart Of The City
Maiden - live After Death
Gary Moore - We Want Moore
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes, Vorld Vide Live
AC/DC - If You Want Blood
Thin Lizzy - Live/Life
Michael Schenker Group - One Night At Budokan
Ozzy Osbourne - Randy Tribute
Tina Turner - Tina Live in Europe
Meat Loaf - Live at Wembley
Journey - Captured
Y&T - Live on the Friday Rock Show, Yesterday & Today Live
ManOwaR - Hell On Stage

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

I actually like "Rock Will Never Die" better, but that might be because "Built To Destroy" is far and away my favorite Schenker album, and Barden also sings a great version of "Desert Song" from Assault Attack.  He's no Graham Bonnet, but I do like his voice on that.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 01:44:39 PM »
Rush - Show of Hands, Rush in Rio

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »
Lowdz,
 Journey - Captured.. I wanted to mention that one, I just found it on vinyl at a local record store in mint condition. Excellent!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
Rush- Exit Stage Left
Iron Maiden- Live After Death, Rock in Rio
Judas Priest- Unleashed in the East, 98 Live Meltdown
Queensryche- Operation LiveCrime
Black Sabbath- Live Evil
Heaven & Hell- Neon Nights
UFO- Strangers in the Night
Kiss- Alive
Thin Lizzy- Life Live
Symphony X- Edge of Forever
Triumph- Stages
Stryper- 7 weeks
W.A.S.P- Live in the Raw
Dio- Live in Philly
Dokken- Beast from the East
Saxon- Eagle Has Landed
Ozzy- Tribute
Halford- Live Insurrection

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »
Yngwie Malmsteen - Trail By Fire: Live in Leningrad is a good one yet to be mentioned.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
I think Live Scenes From New York is one of the greatest too, amazing setlist.

Some other good ones that may not be the greatest but ones I really liked;

WASP - Double Live Assassins
Gamma Ray - Skeletons in the Closet
Helloween - High Live
Evergrey - A Night to Remember
Kamelot - On A Cold Winters Night
Pretty Maids - It Comes Alive
Pagans Mind - Live Equation
In Flames - Used and Abused
Megadeth - Rude Awakening
Steve Vai - Alive in An Ultra World
Joe Satriani - Live in San Fran
Hammerfall - One Crimson Night
Avantasia - Around the World
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 05:25:24 PM »

I actually like "Rock Will Never Die" better, but that might be because "Built To Destroy" is far and away my favorite Schenker album, and Barden also sings a great version of "Desert Song" from Assault Attack.  He's no Graham Bonnet, but I do like his voice on that.

MSG is far and away my favorite Schenker album, and a TAC Top 5 of all time. Plus Budokan has Cozy Powell and Paul Raymond!

I think Live Scenes From New York is one of the greatest too, amazing setlist.
:hefdaddy

UFO - Strangers in the Night. Great song selection and fantastic performance. The version of Love to Love is unbeatable, especially the ending solo. I also love Phil Mogg's between song banter on the album. "They're changing the mics can I fill in? I dunno what 'can I feel in' means, whether I should tell a few jokes or possibly reveal myself"
Phil Mogg rules! He just does. Another TAC Top 5 all time! Even though there are two studio tracks on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
Steve Vai - Alive in an Ultra World. Who else compose songs during a tour and then record the new songs live as first official release?

Any live Queen and Toto album. I especially love Queen Live at Wembley, which is the first album I ever bought.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »
Steve Vai - Alive in an Ultra World. Who else compose songs during a tour and then record the new songs live as first official release?

Not totally the same but BE by pos was released live before being recorded in the studio.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 06:44:21 PM »
I have never been huge into live albums - the three that have spent significant time on rotation (mostly during my childhood) were

Ozzy -- Tribute
Dokken - Beast From The East
KISS- Alive

All three IMO added new life to the songs , which were already great to start with.   The first two made my DTF Top 50.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »
Obviously, Iron Maiden has a number of live albums.
My favorite of which is probably Death On The Road.
Love the performances and the crowd is absolutely amazing. It's my favorite version of Fear Of The Dark.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 03:29:09 AM »
The Who - Live at Leeds
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 05:20:18 AM »
I'm not a fan of live albums bur The Song Remains the Same by Led Zeppelin is awesome.

And as has been mentioned, Pulse by Pink Floyd is a masterpiece.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bundy

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 05:32:23 AM »

Golden Earring - Live. A band that really does not get as much attention as they deserve. I heard the version of Eight Miles High from this album and was intrigued, so I bought the album and Golden Earring quickly became one of my favorite bands. Can't think of a single bad thing about this album, easily my favorite live album ever.

Nice to see another Golden Earring fan. :tup Moontan is easily in my top 50 albums.

Some of my favourite live albums:
Some most here would be familiar with - Yessongs, Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous, Motorhead - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith, ELP - Pictures at an Exhibition (my favourite ELP album by quite a long way.)

And my absolute favourites:
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Hawkwind - Chronicles of the Black Sword
Grobschnitt - Solar Music Live

I can't remember ever having seen Grobschnitt discussed here, but I'm pretty sure many would enjoy them.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
KISS - Alive
The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere + You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2
Dream Theater - Score
Gov't Mule - Live...With a Little Help from Our Friends
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live: Everybody's Talkin'
Jimi Hendrix - Woodstock
Slayer - Decade of Aggression
Ozzy Osbourne - Tribute
Queensryche - Operation LIVEcrime
Paul McCartney and Wings - Wings Over America
Steely Dan - Alive In America

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »

Any live Queen and Toto album. I especially love Queen Live at Wembley, which is the first album I ever bought.

Love "Live Magic", even though it's a butchered set (I'm a huge fan of 'complete shows', and I HATE HATE HATE fades in between songs like on Exit... and AC/DC Live), just for the live "One Vision", and the STELLAR "Under Pressure".