Which version of Dune do you prefer

Dune - David Lynch
0 (0%)
Dune- The miniseries
1 (11.1%)
Dune- Denis Villeneuve
8 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Dune (film versions)  (Read 12321 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Dune (film versions)
« on: February 08, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »
I loved reading Dune as a kid and I am pretty excited to hear that a new film version of Dune is going to be made, by the director of Arrival.

So I am going back and re-watching the Lynch version and the longer miniseries version. I think I like the lynch version a little more because its so wild, but I don't know

But which do you guys prefer and are you looking forward to seeing what they put together for this new one?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dune (film versions)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
All i remember from Dune :

• Ginger Sting

• Giant Sand Monsters

• Kyle Mclachlan (?) with his hand in a fire and if he takes it out - he'll die immediately.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:13:48 PM »
• Kyle Mclachlan (?) with his hand in a fire and if he takes it out - he'll die immediately.

THE PAIN!

I remember liking the movie as a kid, though much of it was probably over my head. Then I read the book, though it was good, nothing special. Then watched the film again and thought it was garbage. It has a stellar cast though.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »
Miniseries is FAR more faithful to the book.   And the acting is pretty good too, even if the sets and SFX are pretty bad.   (as in TNG Season 1 bad)   But hey....it has boobies!!!  So there's that. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:20:09 AM »
Never watched the miniseries, but heard bad things about it.

I enjoyed the movie, but it isn't actually what I would call "good".

Looking forward to the new adaptation that was announced.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 09:59:12 PM »
If you can look past cheap FX....I actually recommend the miniseries.   I actually thought most Dune fans praised the fact that it was much more faithful to the book...so I've heard mostly good things.   *shrug*

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:55:51 AM »
Yeah, I just watched the mini series for the first time since 2000. Much, much better than I remembered.

The lynch version had no choice but to rush through things, where as the miniseries lets everything breath and allows for the time needed to cover everything correctly.

Now its time to watch the children of the dune mini series which covers (dune messiah and children of dune) which has most of the original actors and James mcavoy as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
If you can look past cheap FX....I actually recommend the miniseries.   I actually thought most Dune fans praised the fact that it was much more faithful to the book...so I've heard mostly good things.   *shrug*
I would imagine that the cheap production values are the reason for the bad things I have heard. It deserves better.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 06:08:07 AM »

That's a cool poster.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 04:22:09 PM »
As someone who has no background knowledge of Dune and hasn't read the book or watched the old movie, I'm hyped for this given the director especially, but also the cast, but also the thought of a new cool sci-fi epic.

Friends I know who have read the book are very skeptical (especially towards the casting) so I'm trying to go into it with a pinch of salt not expecting it to be the best thing ever made. With that said, not knowing the source material, all that really matters to me is whether it's a good film or not, which I suppose is different to people familiar with the book who will also have that 'is it faithful to the book' criteria.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 06:25:13 PM »
Even with the best of directors, the book is hard to translate to film. Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing this. Trailer looked cool as well

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 07:25:25 PM »
Even with the best of directors, the book is hard to translate to film. Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing this. Trailer looked cool as well

One of the two big gripes I got, the other being that they're apparently splitting the book into two films without the second one green-lighted yet. Very odd... I'm sure it'll get made since I imagine this one being a box office monster, but we'll see.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 07:32:04 PM »

One of the two big gripes I got, the other being that they're apparently splitting the book into two films without the second one green-lighted yet. Very odd... I'm sure it'll get made since I imagine this one being a box office monster, but we'll see.

I thought it was one of those “filmed back to back” things??

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:45 PM »

I thought it was one of those “filmed back to back” things??

One of my friends said different, if you can find contrary info I'd love to rub his face in it let him know.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »
As someone who has no background knowledge of Dune and hasn't read the book or watched the old movie, I'm hyped for this given the director especially, but also the cast, but also the thought of a new cool sci-fi epic.

Friends I know who have read the book are very skeptical (especially towards the casting) so I'm trying to go into it with a pinch of salt not expecting it to be the best thing ever made. With that said, not knowing the source material, all that really matters to me is whether it's a good film or not, which I suppose is different to people familiar with the book who will also have that 'is it faithful to the book' criteria.

This is me.  That trailer was bitchin.  So's the cast.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 09:59:42 PM »

You've never read Dune?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 10:30:11 PM »
It will be interesting to see how this plays out in 2021.

I don’t consider it “spoiler material” to basically describe a 55 year old novel as “how to start jihad 101”

Politics has often been the source of interesting allegory in classic sci-fi literature (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein is another great example) but back then, people also took works of fiction as *works of fiction*. But these days, with people dissecting everything to bits, I’m wondering if it might be a source of (unnecessary) controversy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 06:29:50 AM »
The trailer was amazing.

Time for a re-read of the novel.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 06:46:46 AM »
It will be interesting to see how this plays out in 2021.

I don’t consider it “spoiler material” to basically describe a 55 year old novel as “how to start jihad 101”

Politics has often been the source of interesting allegory in classic sci-fi literature (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein is another great example) but back then, people also took works of fiction as *works of fiction*. But these days, with people dissecting everything to bits, I’m wondering if it might be a source of (unnecessary) controversy.

The Dune fan base will be more dissecting its faithfulness to the source material, extensively. But I can see an outsider trying to put an alternative motive to it, especially if it is faithful to the book.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 07:23:38 AM »
Well, the point of the series (not just the first novel) is the danger of hero worship.  I mean, it's in there.  If you elevate someone to almost divine status and follow their every word and whim, destruction awaits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 07:45:56 AM »

You've never read Dune?

That's a negative, Ghost Rider.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 09:08:26 AM »

You've never read Dune?

That's a negative, Ghost Rider.

Don't tell me your only knowledge of the Dune universe is the shitty 80s Lynch movie...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2021, 09:34:27 AM »
I’ve never read the book or seen the 80s movie.

I assume it’s about how Timothy Chalomet or whatever hates sand cause it gets everywhere?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 10:56:18 AM »
I’ve never read the book or seen the 80s movie.

I assume it’s about how Timothy Chalomet or whatever hates sand cause it gets everywhere?
You got it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
Watched the 1984 film as a kid. Loved it. Then read the book. Thought it was boring. Read it again as an adult, enjoyed it a bit more, but didn't think it was worthy of all the praise (and film adaptations).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2021, 05:05:16 AM »
Don't tell me your only knowledge of the Dune universe is the shitty 80s Lynch movie...

Don't think I've even watched that one.  I think my only knowledge of Dune is the song Sandrider by Star One  :biggrin:.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2021, 06:36:45 AM »

Don't think I've even watched that one.  I think my only knowledge of Dune is the song Sandrider by Star One  :biggrin:.

Ok good, at least you haven't been tainted.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:03 AM »
No one is going to reference To Tame a Land?

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2021, 10:10:24 AM »
Does it count if you played the computer games in the 90s   :metal, loved Dune 2.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »
:lolpalm:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2021, 01:34:06 PM »
Does it count if you played the computer games in the 90s   :metal, loved Dune 2.

That game was awesome

Offline Bentower

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2021, 01:14:34 AM »
Dune 2 was indeed an awesome game. It's what got me hooked on the universe that Frank Herbert created. I also played the first-person adventure game simply called Dune around that time and read some of the books in short order.
Later on I've read all of the Frank Herbert-penned Dune books except for Chapterhouse: Dune, his last one. I do have that somewhere, but it appears to have gone missing.
What I love about the series besides the intriguing environments and a rich historical backstory is that it has an insightful way of dealing with subjects such as ecology and religion. I find that those books contain nuggets of actual wisdom.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Villeneuve does with the material. If anyone can do it justice, it's him. All I've seen so far are a few stills here and there, the trailers are not for me.

My vote went to the miniseries btw. Despite its flaws, I like that it expanded the scope to include the second book Children of Dune as well. The David Lynch movie is very disappointing compared to his usual output and having been so interfered with by its producer it's no bloody wonder.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »
No one is going to reference To Tame a Land?
What an awesome Maiden song!  Loved when it came out.  I remember reading Dune back around '80 and at the age of 17 it was probably the most intricate and complex book I ever read.  At the time the Lynch movie was good but I actually liked the miniseries better.  Can't wait for the new movie and can only hope it translates better to the big screen.  It will be an absolute travesty if they don't make the second half regardless. You can't do half a story!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »
Dune runtime clocks in at 2 hours, 35 minutes, with a ton of extra on the editing room floor for a very extended Director's cut.

Josh Brolin saw the final product, calls it a 'cinematic masterpiece'

I'm so fucking stoked for this one.