Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 293039 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #1330 on: March 21, 2017, 07:35:18 AM »
 :lol

Like trying to use an open source 3D modeler after using Studio Max for years? Not that I would know.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1331 on: March 21, 2017, 07:37:10 AM »
I have always used GIMP because it's free.  If I were using it all the time, for professional projects, I'd probably shell out the eleventeen brazillion dollars for Photoshop.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1332 on: March 21, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
:lol

Like trying to use an open source 3D modeler after using Studio Max for years? Not that I would know.

Not quite that much of a contrast. :lol At least GIMP tries to emulate Photoshop, which is half the problem when it deviates.
I've never actually tried any free modeling software, besides using Blender once or twice to convert an obscure 3D file. The only reason I even tried GIMP was because my computer was out of commission waiting for an upgrade, and I was trying to find something to pass time on another computer.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: March 21, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »
GIMP is pretty simple, free, and as close to photoshop as I've seen.  Granted, I am not artistic so I pretty much suck overall when using it.  Now Adobe Premiere, I really enjoy using.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:16 AM »
I use a lot of the Adobe creative suite. I literally have Photoshop permanently open on my computer all day regardless of what I'm working on it's that essential, and I use After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Audition regularly for all of my video and audio work. I use Illustrator occasionally, but I'd only call myself a beginner with that. I've always wanted to learn it properly, just never had the need to delve into it properly.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: March 21, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »
Well I got a raise today, but no promotion.  I was really expecting a promotion to senior level.  I'm pretty bummed by this.  Starting to think I have no upward movement in this company.  The good thing is I got tons of stock options, and the company valuation has gone up (over 3 times the value since I started) so they kind of got me by the balls to stick around to see this company go public and actually make my money that way.  We shall see.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
At work and just got the news that one of my coworkers wont be coming in.

That could be a good or a bad thing depending on the co-worker.

I forgot to mention that it's great news :lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1337 on: March 21, 2017, 10:54:11 AM »
Hi everybody!

Well I got a raise today, but no promotion.  I was really expecting a promotion to senior level.  I'm pretty bummed by this.  Starting to think I have no upward movement in this company.  The good thing is I got tons of stock options, and the company valuation has gone up (over 3 times the value since I started) so they kind of got me by the balls to stick around to see this company go public and actually make my money that way.  We shall see.

See, now I see that as getting more money but not more responsibility, which sounds pretty good to me :lol :lol

I get it though, definitely want to feel like you have a path ahead. Sounds like you should be in pretty decent shape if you can stick around until the company goes public.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: March 21, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Yea I get what youre saying, but I want to move forward and while I may have monetarily, it's not exactly helping me in the long run.  The extra cash over the course of a year isn't going to change my life in any meaningful way, but actually getting a promotion will help me in my career down the line.  Either way, the stock options are where it's at and I am definitely safe here and treated well so I need to stick it out so I can turn that paper into cash, but part of me wants to get a data center management position which I will never get here (my boss isn't going anywhere and he has a hook up with a relative being high up here).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1339 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:58 AM »
Cram, how long have you've been with the company?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1340 on: March 21, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
First haul in a while - the move to Raleigh has me way behind in some areas, so I rectified that with an Amazon order.

CDs:

Haken - Affinity
The Neal Morse Band - Similitudes of a Dream
Nova Collective - The Further Side

Blu-rays:

The Neal Morse Band - Alive Again
Neal Morse -  Morsefest 2014
Neal Morse - Morsefest 2015 (preorder - should have it this week sometime)

So far I have finished Alive Again and it's fantastic, and I'm on my first listen of Nova Collective, and it's really awesome so far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: March 21, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »

3 years

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: March 21, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
I've been behind myself Hef.  I to just ordered,

Nova Collective -- The Further Side
POS -- In The Passing Light Of Day
Kyros -- Vox Humana
The Feeling -- Self titled.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: March 21, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »

3 years

Have you moved up yet into another position?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: March 21, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »

3 years

Have you moved up yet into another position?

Nope.  My boss told me within my first year he viewed me as a senior level technician and I perform at the same level as the other two senior level technicians including the one I trained (he was hired a year or two after I started, I even interviewed and recommended him).  That's what kind of bothers me.  Maybe if he never told me to my face so long ago then I wouldn't feel this way. 

I should really just look at the bright side, more money and no new responsibilities although I have to work till probably 1am tonight  :lol  Too bad this pay raise doesn't go into effect until April 1st.  Would have been nice to get that extra bump in my OT tonight.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: March 21, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
I would ask for a meeting and express your disappointment in not getting the senior level technician position.  It will show that you truly want the position.  If he then pulls you need to work on this first and that wasn't in your review you just got explain that you will never get the chance to move up if you don't know what deficiencies you need to work on.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: March 21, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »
Thanks and I agree with that advice. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: March 21, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »
It never hurts to talk about your want to move up in the company.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: March 21, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
Yea very true  :tup

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1349 on: March 21, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
Yea I get what youre saying, but I want to move forward and while I may have monetarily, it's not exactly helping me in the long run.  The extra cash over the course of a year isn't going to change my life in any meaningful way, but actually getting a promotion will help me in my career down the line.  Either way, the stock options are where it's at and I am definitely safe here and treated well so I need to stick it out so I can turn that paper into cash, but part of me wants to get a data center management position which I will never get here (my boss isn't going anywhere and he has a hook up with a relative being high up here).

This might not be the worst thing. Build up your salary now, and when the inevitable promotion does come through, your new pay scale will start that much higher. Have you talked to your boss about setting up a 12 month plan or something to get you there? I've found management responds really well to that kind of stuff. Tell him you want to put together goals and objectives to get you to senior level.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: March 21, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »
My manager is not a typical manager by any means  :lol and while I think he would put me in the right direction, setting up a plan like you say probably would not be something he is interested in.  Just to show, this is how he notified us in our chat room about the paperwork he was sending us:

in other news i am sending you fucks your raise paperwork...i am supposed to have some bullshit 15 minute discussion with each of you where i cup your balls and thank you profusely for the great work that you do for *company name*....so how about we "say" that we had this discussion and continue on with our day

FYI - you raises are tied to quarterly ratings...a 3 rating (meets expectations) has a 3% raise...and it goes up with higher ratings...so if you want more money next year then keep your ratings high

(hows that for a fucking pep talk)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1351 on: March 21, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Man, he speaks the same way my brain thinks. So jealous.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1352 on: March 21, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
So re: the job thing with me

I was thinking about it.. one thing that would kind of turn me off of it is the unpredictability of the job hours, plus the fact it would involve A LOT of driving in my own car, which is on it's last leg.

But on that, I was doing some talking with my other half (Panda), and I could always drop down to part time in my current job, and spend time focusing on helping her with her job (She works in Social Media Advertising and PR type stuff)... And the extra income she makes from having more help would out weigh what I'd be losing from here. Plus I have my Mystery Shopping (which I am starting up again), and the events I work on weekends. Between all of that, AND the fact I would be able to pick up shifts here to supplement when needed (There is A LOT of overtime going out that I could help cut down on), I think I'd come out on top. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1353 on: March 21, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »
Jay, even this guy knows NY/NJ is the mecca of pizza.

Yo, you can fuck right off with those lies! New Haven CT is the mecca of pizza.

Stop with your delusions. Did you happen to look at the Top 20? NINE, that's right, NINE (five in Brooklyn alone) of the pizzas were from a NY/NJ place. THREE, that's right, THREE were from New Haven. Out of the whole countdown of 101 pizzas, thirty were in NY. There is no contest when it comes to pizza. Sorry.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: March 21, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »
Eh, Connecticut pizza has nothing on New York City pizza.   I love my local pizza in NJ, but that's not as good as NYC either.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1355 on: March 21, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
And now I'm the mood for some but it's too late.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: March 22, 2017, 01:39:07 AM »
I could definitely go for some pizza now

My network maintenance actually worked this time.  Been here for 18 hours today so now the long drive home  :yarr

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: March 22, 2017, 03:42:51 AM »
The power just went out for a couple of hours because of thunderstorms today. They weren't even bad, but the power in our area is shitty when any kind of weather is involved.
I was stuck with whatever entertainment was on my laptop, so I finally got around to watching the BTTF Delorean restoration documentary.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: March 22, 2017, 04:34:37 AM »
We had a really bad thunderstorm here last night, reminded me of Florida.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1359 on: March 22, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
Mother Nature spent the night blowing out the warm air.  It was 15F this morning, and ain't gonna warm up too much from that today. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1360 on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:14 AM »
Yup. Supposed to be cold today but then warm up again for the weekend.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1361 on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
Yep it's cold today, but by the weekend it's supposed to be in the mid 70s, just in time to drop 20 degrees for Sunday and then rise 15 for the beginning of next week.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: March 22, 2017, 07:16:33 AM »
Morning. Getting furniture and a new toilet installed at my Dad's house.  Setting up for him to go home Friday.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1363 on: March 22, 2017, 07:52:59 AM »
G'morning all. Two extremely aggravating days at work, and today marks two months since we've started major home renovations. They began installing the cabinets yesterday only to discover that one is missing. If it doesn't turn up then we have to wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement. Seriously considering secluding myself in the basement this weekend and going on a bender  :censored
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: March 22, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
That sucks axe. That's been the story ever since we got our home. Issue arises and it takes weeks to get fixed.