Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 293077 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #1225 on: March 19, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
'ello
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1226 on: March 19, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
What's up, Jay?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »
Working. Dealing with idiots, and now someone who has called out sick 2 shifts in a row (Thursday, and then tonight... he has Fri and Sat off). Last minute coverage is a pain in the ass. And I would stay late to cover but there's a chance I have to be in court tomorrow.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1228 on: March 19, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »
Court? Who did you kill?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: March 19, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
:lol

No one (yet).

More bullshit with my dad's death. It's shitty  and a long story.. but the dude keeps dicking us around and it looks like we are going to have to postpone things AGAIN.

Tomorrow also would have been my dad's 63rd Birthday. Gonna be a shitty day.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1230 on: March 19, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
Ouch. Sorry. That's a sensitive subject.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: March 20, 2017, 12:39:11 AM »
Basically the next month is shitty. Tomorrow is his birthday.. then my birthday is 4/29, and he was killed on 4/30

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1232 on: March 20, 2017, 01:38:49 AM »
 :'(  I turn off my switch when death is around. I get far too fucking emotional, even if it's someone else's loss. I'm an empath (which I have probably mentioned before), but I've learned to control it so lately my switch has been off. Here's an example. It was a couple of weeks ago and I was an hour into my shift. My coworker gets a phone call and all I hear him saying is, "No...no...no." I knew what it was. His wife had just died. The few workers who were there were either going up to him or at least looking in his direction. I just kind of sat there, completely different. That's how I am when I switch off the empathy. The only thing that becomes important is me (and my daughter).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:32 AM »
good morning.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1234 on: March 20, 2017, 04:59:05 AM »
Morning, Reap. What's going on?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: March 20, 2017, 04:59:30 AM »
Nothing much, just drinking coffee before going into work. It's going to be a long day. What's happening with you?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1236 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:40 AM »
I'm just waiting for my shift to end - one more hour. Work was basically quiet tonight so I was finishing putting my CCIE outline into a spreadsheet.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: March 20, 2017, 05:01:00 AM »
When do you think you'll be takign it?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: March 20, 2017, 05:01:27 AM »
I have a pair of stretchy jeans with no button that I like to wear when i'm indoors coz they're comfy.

I just chopped the legs off below the knee so now they're double comfy.

I also am drinking coffee and watching a guitar video** and playing Destiny.

The Taken King.

:hat

**Gibson 335 VS Epiphone Dot on Andertons

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1239 on: March 20, 2017, 05:11:44 AM »
When do you think you'll be takign it?

Maybe summer of 2018. They say that if you finish studying in less than a year then go back and start over because you missed something. heh I bought a couple of books. You have to love Amazon's used books. Two books that cost together well over $100 when they first came out I was able to get for $12 plus free shipping. I'll need quite a few more books though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1240 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:58 AM »

I also am drinking coffee and watching a guitar video** and playing Destiny.

I haven't had coffee in two days. I'm trying to cut back to see if it helps with my insomnia. I've been drinking different teas.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:30 AM »
That's what I did with the CCNA, went through it, then started over with the book.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:40 AM »
:hug:

I just try not to have caffeine after 6pm.

Sorry if that makes me a delicate little snowflake internet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: March 20, 2017, 05:15:11 AM »
Hey Reap I went for an 80 mile drive last Thursday. Weather was pretty nice for the 40 miles there.

Drizzle all the way home so I was being careful as it's winding hilltop roads.

I didn't even notice how wet it was until I stopped to fill up.

Bike was drenched. The heat from the engine helps though.

Shoulda packed my waterproofs just in case. I may do that from now on.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1244 on: March 20, 2017, 05:27:33 AM »
That's what I did with the CCNA, went through it, then started over with the book.

Gods, I am going to wish I was studying for the CCNA.  :lol   They say to do no less than 1000 hours of lab work for this test. I was able to find workbooks for a couple of the training  companies so that saves me a few hundred dollars. I might do a Cisco subscription because I heard their practice labs are just as hard as the ones on the exam.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1245 on: March 20, 2017, 05:28:23 AM »
:hug:

I just try not to have caffeine after 6pm.

Sorry if that makes me a delicate little snowflake internet.

I work overnight so it just screws everything up.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1246 on: March 20, 2017, 06:14:01 AM »
Morning.  So here's how my Monday started.

The power went out and back on in 5 minutes.  It woke me up since I wear a C-Pap machine.  I asked my wife the time since she wears a watch.  So I reset my clock and the alarm.

So the alarm goes off and I jump in the shower and as I'm getting dressed I see the clock on the cable box and it says 2:03 am.  WTF, my wife was half awake and gave me the wrong time. So I was going to strip until I heard something in the basement.  I turn on the light and see water everywhere.  A copper elbow cracked and waater was coming out.  I turned of the main water and dried it all up.

I went back to bed and got up at 5:30 am to go to work.  Now I need to get a hold of my plumber A.S.A.P.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1247 on: March 20, 2017, 06:18:35 AM »

The power went out and back on in 5 minutes.  It woke me up since I wear a C-Pap machine.  I asked my wife the time since she wears a watch.  So I reset my clock and the alarm.

So the alarm goes off and I jump in the shower and as I'm getting dressed I see the clock on the cable box and it says 2:03 am.  WTF, my wife was half awake and gave me the wrong time. So I was going to strip until I heard something in the basement.  I turn on the light and see water everywhere.  A copper elbow cracked and waater was coming out.  I turned of the main water and dried it all up.

I went back to bed and got up at 5:30 am to go to work.  Now I need to get a hold of my plumber A.S.A.P.

Ugh. Sucks. I just had a plumber come up last weekend... I picked the wrong career. $110 an hour.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:35 AM »
I picked the wrong career. $110 an hour.

:rollin

You could probably go online and learn to fix it yourself for a tenth of that.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: March 20, 2017, 06:35:38 AM »
Yea when I would have plumbers come to the hotel it was never less than $90, god help you if it was afterhours or on a weekend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:14 AM »
I'm quite lucky in that my Dad is an engineer and my Grandad - both whom live very locally - is a builder who used to build homes for a living.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1251 on: March 20, 2017, 06:53:09 AM »
You fuckers stood me up for my office party.  >:(

Yesterday morning at 7 I get a call from Spain that my Barcelona print vendor fucked up and printed my foam signs on paper, so they won't work. Of course it's fucking Sunday so no chance on that one. I send over the files so thehotel printer can rush print the job. They get it done. Then I get a phone call that my colleague in Spain LOST THE FLASH DRIVE with all the presentations and videos on it, so I had to find a way to send her 3gb worth of files. Come in this morning to a voicemail from Spain, at least this time a good one - the original printer tried to make things right but we moved too fast for him so we're getting a refund. At least shit seems to be working out but I can't stand this shit.

At least today I have the office to myself and can hopefully take it easy.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1252 on: March 20, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »
I picked the wrong career. $110 an hour.

:rollin

You could probably go online and learn to fix it yourself for a tenth of that.

Morning, all.

That's a pretty reasonably priced plumber. If you think a plumber who charges you $110.00 per hour is actually taking home that money, your ignorance is showing. Supplies, tools, vehicles, fuel, mileage, rent on a shop, property insurance, auto insurance, liability insurance, bond insurance,  inventory, employee salary, employee match FICA, employee health insurance, advertising, etc., in other words overhead, all must be paid prior to him/her taking a salary. Also, to be a commercial plumber for hire, there is the special knowledge of national, state and local building codes that you must to be up to date on before you can get your bond insurance.

Plus, you can never bite your fingernails again. Ever.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: March 20, 2017, 06:55:38 AM »

Yikes thats miserable but sounds like a blessing that your wife gave you a bad time as that lead you to discover the water in the basement.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1254 on: March 20, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
Tell me about it.  I'm waiting on the call back from the plumber right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1255 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:35 AM »
That a shitty morning, king. At least you were able to shut the water off.

Also, I'm willing to bed the plumber only sees a fraction of that $110 an hour. That has to cover everything including parts, labor, driving to and from, etc. Not saying plumbers don't get paid handsomely, but I guarantee you he isn't earning nearly $230,000 a year.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1256 on: March 20, 2017, 07:41:49 AM »
Hey hey
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1257 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:46 AM »
At the office, doing fuck alll, watching Inspector Gadget. The cartoon. As in, the only one worth watching.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1258 on: March 20, 2017, 07:43:21 AM »
I am presently also not actively engaged in anything productive here at the office.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: March 20, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »
I am presently also not actively engaged in anything productive here at the office.

Add me to the list.  Monday morning, no one is working yet.  I think I have to work overnight tomorrow too so not highly motivated at the moment to start busting out my work.