Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"  (Read 292043 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. "The Aristocrats!"
« Reply #1155 on: March 17, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
No complaints here, wouldn't mind a little shindig.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1156 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »
I'll bring cigars!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1157 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
Someone rope Coz in here so he can cover "entertainment" :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1158 on: March 17, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
I'll mooch off of all of you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: March 17, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
Speaking of mooching...

I spent like £60 on albums this month but i'm doing at least 8 more hours at work next week so that'll make up for it :)

FYI It was Hardwired To Self Destruct Red Vinyl and Mastodon's Emperor of Sand.

Both double Vinyl.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: March 17, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
Hmmm... I would have thought Lillian Gish would create more of a draw. Sorry to hear that, Blob. I thought it was brilliant.

I guess I overestimated the internet's interest in the stars of silent film! :neverusethis:
I'm still very proud of the video, but I didn't expect it to be big, I just needed a test run for the character rig. I'm much more excited about my next ones.

I'm excited to see what you have next to blob.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: March 17, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
I'm excited to see what you have next to blob.

I'm guessing a box of moist towelettes.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1162 on: March 17, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
*sigh* So fucking bored. This whole week was a crush of work that kept me busy and even staying late yesterday and Wednesday to meet some deadlines, plus I worked from home during the snowstorm. I had expectations of being extremely busy today due to a publication due date, but as it turns out the date that was communicated was inaccurate. So I stayed a little late yesterday to meet the draft date and am now in limbo. I passed the morning with some site maintenance and updates but now I am full of cheesesteak and bored out of my fucking skull.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: March 17, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
I have a decent amount of work on my plate, but nothing urgent and no one in my company wants to work on Fridays so I think this afternoon is going to drag.  It was like pulling teeth to get a systems engineer to work with me this morning.  I am also full and tired from lunch.  Had columbian food today, sooo good.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1164 on: March 17, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »
When I worked in Towson I was walking distance from this place called Pollo Amigo; best damn Peruvian chicken I've ever had. Just one dude and a cook, with 2 small tables inside, a picnic table outside and of course carryout. Could get THE BEST chicken burritos, carne asada, steak burritos, anything. All grilled right fucking there in front of you, you could see the grill smoke, so fucking amazing. I miss going there.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1165 on: March 17, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »
I'm a little busier than normal because one of my colleagues is out. On the plus side, he's the only person who would normally be in the office with me, so I can leave my music cranked with no interruptions. Also, Friday afternoons means I'm doing only what's required to be delivered by the end of the day, so as long as nothing goes wrong it shouldn't be too bad of a final sprint to the weekend.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1166 on: March 17, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
Colleague just ran out for an errand, so I am once again by myself for a small duration.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1167 on: March 17, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »
I have a decent amount of work on my plate, but nothing urgent and no one in my company wants to work on Fridays so I think this afternoon is going to drag.  It was like pulling teeth to get a systems engineer to work with me this morning.  I am also full and tired from lunch.  Had columbian food today, sooo good.

Nice. Victoria's taking a bus into Hartford to meet me after work. We're going to bar hop around the city and cap the night with some Brazilian Steakhouse. This afternoon in dragggging.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1168 on: March 17, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
Quiet night for me tonight, but looking forward to friends coming by tomorrow to open some bottles and watch basketball while I brew some beer.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1169 on: March 17, 2017, 12:40:56 PM »
We have no plans this weekend. Tonight I think the plan is have dinner at home and go to bed. So exciting.
My mom is trying to get my sister to agree to go out for her birthday which was Monday but my sister is refusing as usual, so who knows.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: March 17, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
Quiet night for me tonight, but looking forward to friends coming by tomorrow to open some bottles and watch basketball while I brew some beer.

Tomorrow sounds like a good beer and ball day.

Nice. Victoria's taking a bus into Hartford to meet me after work. We're going to bar hop around the city and cap the night with some Brazilian Steakhouse. This afternoon in dragggging.

Sounds good although I've never actually gone to a Brazilian steakhouse, but everyone says they are so good.  I got to check out my local one.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1171 on: March 17, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »
Only Brazilian place I've been to is Fogo de Chao, which is amazing, but I'm sure it's a lot less traditional than many.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1172 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »

Sounds good although I've never actually gone to a Brazilian steakhouse, but everyone says they are so good.  I got to check out my local one.

This is our first time going to this one. We go to the one in East Haven once a month or so. It's cool. There's a buffet with maybe like 25 things you could put on your plate, and then you sit down and turn this tower on the table over so the top is green. This signals the staff to do their thing. There are 14 different items that they bring to your table one at a time on huge skewers, and then they cut it right onto your plate. There are steaks, grilled pineapple, lamb, bacon wrapped chicken and turkey, different pork, chicken hearts (I stay away from those), etc.. It's expensive as hell, but we always find Groupons that are basically a buy one get one.

First the meat is cooked

The the staff comes around and does their thing

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1173 on: March 17, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
That's Fogo de Chao.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: March 17, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
Yea, that's what I've heard about those Brazilian steakhouses and that looks so delicious

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1175 on: March 17, 2017, 01:19:45 PM »
The one we go to is about 1/5 that nice looking, but they cook meat like a boss.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1176 on: March 17, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1177 on: March 17, 2017, 01:39:13 PM »
Grammar people will love this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/us/oxford-comma-lawsuit.html
Saw that earlier.

The Oxford comma should have been used.  People and organizations who leave it out do so at their peril, for precisely this reason.  It gives clarity, where the lack of it leaves ambiguity.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: March 17, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
After reading that, I am surprised that editors advise to NOT use it.  That makes no sense to me.  I always use the Oxford comma.  I was taught that way in grade school and it always makes sense and makes things clear.  The legal advice to not use it, I'm not sure how I feel about that since reading things in a legal way is a bit different so maybe leaving it out for some ambiguity makes sense.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1179 on: March 17, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
But if you notice in the article, the Maine Legislative Drafting Manual advises AGAINST using the Oxford comma pretty explicitly. They also caution against frivolous use of commas since they are apparently so poorly understood. But you are correct.  --EDIT cram shot in there as well.

I'm in such a weird spot, though, because throughout my career in design and layout, it's almost a given that the Oxford comma is to be omitted; however I have always personally preferred its use. Every time I have chosen to use it in professional word, it's been redlined.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
78° and sunny out here today. Everyone else left the office early today and I'm stuck here holding down the fort, so I'm streaming the Bay Hill Invitational on my second screen.

All things considered, I'd rather be playing golf than watching it. Still, not a terrible way to spend the afternoon at the office.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1181 on: March 17, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
I'd rather be working than watching OR playing golf! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1182 on: March 17, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »
I'd rather be working than watching OR playing golf! ;D

You are so silly.

Well we've got to get the new bed & bureau set up so dad can at least be at home by Friday.  I just placed the order.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1183 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:48 PM »
Ugh I need more coffee.

So we have an employee here.. who is just... idk. He might be retarded.  He is completely useless at even the simplest tasks, let alone being able to back people up in the event of an emergency (I've been in at least 2 situations where my safety  was on the line and I was unable to rely on him, to the point where he has has given the wrong info on a 911 call, sending police to the wrong place, while I dealt with a fucking tweaker burglar whom I caught on property...) ..  Anyways.. this guy needs to be babysat every shift.

And then my supervisor hired another guy, who literally refused to listen to a word that ANYONE told him. Every shift he'd argue with myself, the supervisors, other employees, etc about EVERYTHING.

He quit after a week. Thank goodness.

And then my supervisor hired the first dude's brother. This guy doesn't come off as stupid, but he's covered in tattoos, showed up to work with a fucking nose ring and a goatee (I dont mind any of those things personally, but they are way against our dress code policy). I got stuck training the fucker on Wednesday. The dude had his nose in his phone the ENTIRE FUCKING TIME.. even sitting to watch a video on his phone while I showed him around the property. (Mind you, portion of the training I was going over was very very simple, and I wouldn't give a fuck if the dude was looking at his phone from time to time, but don't make me wait for you while we are walking around a maze of a construction site because you decide you wanna sit and fuck around with Snapchat!)

After all that, I brought it up to my superior (the guy who holds the position I had before I left this place last year), and he said "Did you tell him to pay attention?"

No.

I am not going to sit and tell a grown ass man to pay attention as I train him on the job.  I shouldn't have to do that.

Starting next week, I will be working with the brothers every Tuesday. It will be a miracle if I don't fucking deck someone.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: March 17, 2017, 07:12:40 PM »
That is super shitty Jay. When I worked in hospitality I would have to train people who didn't want to do the work from day one and it felt like a giant waste of time. I just finished my first week of work and I'm exhausted. I will be in bed by ten.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: March 17, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
I'm a tad envious of your new gig.  Haha.  Yea..  I don't foresee this guy lasting long. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: March 17, 2017, 08:42:07 PM »
Thanks, my job isn't anything special, just a fucktonnof meetings.

How else are things Jay?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: March 17, 2017, 11:02:54 PM »
Home life is a tad better.  Still been depressed.

Work outside of dealing with the dumbass employees has been busy. We have 2 public restrooms on the site (mind you, I work in a semi gated / semi private community.) One of them is in a park right outside the property line, literally a dozen yards, and the city has been neglecting to lock them at night.  One of our local gangs (La Colonia Chiques) has started to make use of them, as well as the surrounding parks, for their business. Witnessed a drug deal a few days ago (one of those situations where I kept my mouth shut and pretended to not know what the fuck was going on), and then today we caught someone smoking Meth. And these aren't like our normal tweakers I deal with on a nightly basis. Those fuckers I am not too scared off. These guys mean business.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1188 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »
Shit, Jay. That doesn't sound like fun to be around.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
It's not.

The Colonia Chiques ran rampant back in the 80s and 90s.. all the way up to the mid 2000s, where an injunction was put into place to help curb the activity. Basically what it did was put all known gang members on a list, and they could be arrested for during certain things, including wearing gang related clothing / Cowboys apparel  (Colonia has a thing for the Dallas Cowboys, they like to remove the "w" so it reads CO BOYS), congregating in groups of 3 or more together, as well as establishing a curfew of 10pm within the area. It sparked a lot of outrage but crime decreased by a shit ton. They actually implemented another injunction against the other big gang in the area (Southside Chiques)...  The big issue is, the area I work in is right outside of the injunction zones, and in between both of their turfs. Also, a lot people who did time related to the injunction (minus the big players, who are still in jail), are getting out. So there is a shit storm brewing. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"