Author Topic: The WITHERFALL Thread - SOUNDS OF THE FORGOTTEN out on May 31, 2024  (Read 46203 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The WITHERFALL Thread - A PRELUDE TO SORROW (New Album, November 2nd, 2018)
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »
I really like it too but............

If I have to listen to an album chock full of low end from the 8 string guitar then I know I am going to struggle a bit.  I don't mind how JP uses it (not all the time) so ,even though I like this new track from Witherfall, I just know my ears will struggle if the whole album is like that.

On the positive side - there's a degree of originality and songwriting care/thought that you don't see very often these days and the combo of prog/classic/thrash/ with a nice dark atmosphere works great. 

I loved the first two tracks on the debut Witherfall but just "liked" the rest.  Looking forward to hearing the new album.

That's totally understandable. Did you ever hear their bonus track single (The Long Walk Home (December)) that came out back in the spring? It's a far mellower tune than most of the other existing Witherfall songs.

Just to be clear I like my music heavy - just don't love the 8 string ( and/or djenty stuff) as a rule. I struggle when a guitar starts having an identity crisis about whether it might identify as a bass  :biggrin:  I hadn't heard the bonus track but yeah.......nice early Crimson Glory vibe.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »
Awesome tune! :metal

I really like it too but............

If I have to listen to an album chock full of low end from the 8 string guitar then I know I am going to struggle a bit.  I don't mind how JP uses it (not all the time) so ,even though I like this new track from Witherfall, I just know my ears will struggle if the whole album is like that.

On the positive side - there's a degree of originality and songwriting care/thought that you don't see very often these days and the combo of prog/classic/thrash/ with a nice dark atmosphere works great. 

I loved the first two tracks on the debut Witherfall but just "liked" the rest.  Looking forward to hearing the new album.

No Witherfall song is like any other, Moment of Silence sounds nothing Like Ode To Despair.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Just to be clear I like my music heavy - just don't love the 8 string ( and/or djenty stuff) as a rule. I struggle when a guitar starts having an identity crisis about whether it might identify as a bass  :biggrin:  I hadn't heard the bonus track but yeah.......nice early Crimson Glory vibe.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Jake and Fili have both only used 6 and 7 string guitars in Witherfall to date (Not 100% sure on that though).

And yeah, The Long Walk Home is a great song. I completely agree with you on the Crimson Glory comparison, though the second half also reminds me a lot of Zak Stevens-era Savatage with the overlapping vocal melodies.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2018, 07:15:29 PM »
7 strings are starting to sound like 8 strings........I am becoming even less tolerant.  :lol   It's a fogey thing probably - I grew up listening to and playing 6 string  (The Vai Universe was a novelty there for a while though) and my ears have never really adjusted to enjoying that low B (or lower) sound.  But then I like The Enemy Inside etc....so it's not a hard rule.   I do think JP does a good job of not overusing the 7 string.

Anyway.......I think I am going to like the new Witherfall based on what I have heard so far .    Bonus marks to any band these days that has their own sound and Witherfall have achieved that.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »
7 strings are starting to sound like 8 strings........I am becoming even less tolerant.  :lol   It's a fogey thing probably - I grew up listening to and playing 6 string  (The Vai Universe was a novelty there for a while though) and my ears have never really adjusted to enjoying that low B (or lower) sound.  But then I like The Enemy Inside etc....so it's not a hard rule.   I do think JP does a good job of not overusing the 7 string.

Anyway.......I think I am going to like the new Witherfall based on what I have heard so far .    Bonus marks to any band these days that has their own sound and Witherfall have achieved that.

That's fair, I suppose. Though I'm not sure we'll see Witherfall veer away from the seven string guitar too often, as it seems to be a key part to the band's sound and writing style.

That said, I agree that Witherfall have definitely forged their own sound. It kind of reminds me of Haken, in that you can certainly hear the various influences the band has, but the way they present it is all their own. It makes me excited to hear how they'll continue to evolve their voice over time. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
Was finally able to pre-order the CD on Amazon. Up until today, all I saw was the import for 25 bucks. But the regular CD is now available, so I bought it. Looking forward to the new record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
Was finally able to pre-order the CD on Amazon. Up until today, all I saw was the import for 25 bucks. But the regular CD is now available, so I bought it. Looking forward to the new record.

Oh thanks for the heads up, Sam. I did the same thing last week. $25?? WUT?

And the CD is only $2 more than the digital. CD preordered! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
The new song kicks ass!  I'm all for Witherfall writing some super heavy stuff like Moment of Silence. 

Also very cool to see that Sanctuary is moving forward with some new music as well.  Despite losing Warrel, I'm really looking forward to how things could sound with Joseph.  That was such an awesome concert last February.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2018, 11:50:23 PM »
The new song kicks ass!  I'm all for Witherfall writing some super heavy stuff like Moment of Silence. 

Also very cool to see that Sanctuary is moving forward with some new music as well.  Despite losing Warrel, I'm really looking forward to how things could sound with Joseph.  That was such an awesome concert last February.

Speaking new songs, "Shadows" just hit iTunes earlier... and I think I may just have a new favorite song from the band. This song is right up there with Nobody Sleeps Here and Sacrifice IMO. That minute long instrumental outro is siiiiick! :metal :hefdaddy

Can't wait to hear the rest of the album when it comes out!
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »
Wow. I got my media download of the record a few minutes ago, and currently playing it for the first time. It has been a minute since I played the debut, but first feeling, from "We Are Nothing" (just finished the first movement of the song, and now into the second), my Lord, its everything we love about this band on steroids.

I'll have more commentary after it is done. But this second movement in We Are Nothing is just pure gold.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »
Wow. I got my media download of the record a few minutes ago, and currently playing it for the first time. It has been a minute since I played the debut, but first feeling, from "We Are Nothing" (just finished the first movement of the song, and now into the second), my Lord, its everything we love about this band on steroids.

I'll have more commentary after it is done. But this second movement in We Are Nothing is just pure gold.

You Lucky Bastard! Who are you writing for?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
Been a freelancer for years. I probably won't review this one, just because I am a pretty big fan of the band, and I want to be really objective if I write. Not sure I can be on this one. #fanboy  :lol

p.s. Just so Jake and Joseph know (since they monitor this thread), had the album on pre-order for awhile on Amazon. So no lost sale here. Most likely just a lot of gushing over your new record.  :lol
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:05:36 PM by Samsara »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »

Needless to say, I'm quite envious at the moment! :lol

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the rest of the album, man. I've been blasting "Shadows" over and over again since that song hit iTunes on Friday and I'm struggling to imagine how anything else could top that beast of a song on the album- but supposedly "Vintage" at least does that and I have a feeling "We Are Nothing" will probably go toe-to-toe with it too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
I'm just got through Ode to Despair. There is just so much going on, I am going to need to listen again. But my God does Jake go to a new level in terms of speed, technicality, and feel. Suffice it to say, if you dig the first record, you'll love this one.

More later. I am sure a few other media people got the same download as me, so hopefully they will chime in.

The QR fan in me got an absolute PL vibe to this. But more in mood, as opposed to playing style.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
I'm just got through Ode to Despair. There is just so much going on, I am going to need to listen again. But my God does Jake go to a new level in terms of speed, technicality, and feel. Suffice it to say, if you dig the first record, you'll love this one.

More later. I am sure a few other media people got the same download as me, so hopefully they will chime in.

The QR fan in me got an absolute PL vibe to this. But more in mood, as opposed to playing style.

Now that is some high praise IMO and it makes a lot of sense, considering how personal an album A Prelude to Sorrow has to be for the band. I love the atmosphere on Promised Land. :hefdaddy

Be sure to let me know what you think of Vintage when you finish listening to the record! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
It has that atmosphere for sure. And Vintage is amazing. I still have three minutes left of that song, and I am blown away. Tons of emotion. You feel each word Joseph sings....and a note in the stratosphere, leading into a killer emotional solo by Jake.

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
MG - Vintage will be your favorite Witherfall song. I am totally blown away. What an ending. The Epilogue is just a two minute piece that has a distinctly Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here vibe to close it out...

GREAT stuff. Folks, you gotta check this record out when it is streaming. Hell, just buy it. Damn. More later. On to listen 2!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »
It has that atmosphere for sure. And Vintage is amazing. I still have three minutes left of that song, and I am blown away. Tons of emotion. You feel each word Joseph sings....and a note in the stratosphere, leading into a killer emotional solo by Jake.

:metal :metal :metal

Niiiiice. That description reminds me of one of my favorite parts in "Shadows"- the main guitar solo in that song is also launched off by an impressive high note from Joseph... and I noticed on repeat listens that Joseph starts singing along over the final parts of the solo and seems to kinda "take over" at the end of the solo with the big high note payoff. It's such a badass and brilliantly executed moment. And of course I can't stop grinning whenever I get to that minute long outro. Such a satisfying conclusion to that song.

Any particular highlights you'd want to name on this first listen?

MG - Vintage will be your favorite Witherfall song. I am totally blown away. What an ending. The Epilogue is just a two minute piece that has a distinctly Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here vibe to close it out...

GREAT stuff. Folks, you gotta check this record out when it is streaming. Hell, just buy it. Damn. More later. On to listen 2!

Goddamn that's some seriously hype inducing stuff to read! :metal
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 02:57:03 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »
I'm not a musician, just a hack on guitar who hasn't picked up one in 12 years, and an old 90s rock cover song singer. So I wish I could be technical about all this stuff, but I can't. I'm just a fan that likes what he hears.

What I can say is the elements that really make up this band -- the classical meets thrash, meets Floyd -- its all in there like the first record. Just a touch more polished (meaning that in a good way), absolutely darker, and just a lot to digest.

Jake's solo around the 5:40 mark in We Are Nothing...I mean...his playing is so emotive. It is crazy how a band like this works. I hear some Awake era DT in the guitar playing too. Some DeGarmo as well, and obviously Gilmour, but its all Jake. Its really cool when a guy can channel all this music we all grew up with and put forth something that harkens back to all of it, but is distinctly unique. Its a fine balance, and he nails it.

MG - go buy that blue vinyl. Its expensive, but after hearing this, I may do it myself.  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
I'm not a musician, just a hack on guitar who hasn't picked up one in 12 years, and an old 90s rock cover song singer. So I wish I could be technical about all this stuff, but I can't. I'm just a fan that likes what he hears.

I'm basically on the same boat. I used to play guitar, piano and trumpet at different points in my life growing up, but I've hardly touched a musical instrument for years. I just love progressive music and great metal bands. :tup

What I can say is the elements that really make up this band -- the classical meets thrash, meets Floyd -- its all in there like the first record. Just a touch more polished (meaning that in a good way), absolutely darker, and just a lot to digest.

Jake's solo around the 5:40 mark in We Are Nothing...I mean...his playing is so emotive. It is crazy how a band like this works. I hear some Awake era DT in the guitar playing too. Some DeGarmo as well, and obviously Gilmour, but its all Jake. Its really cool when a guy can channel all this music we all grew up with and put forth something that harkens back to all of it, but is distinctly unique. Its a fine balance, and he nails it.

Jake is definitely an incredible guitarist. And you're spot-on, he's incredibly gifted at channeling the spirit of so many of my favorite guitarists but it's all done in a way that still feels distinctly his own.

Do you have any particular thoughts on Joseph's performance on the album compared to the first?

MG - go buy that blue vinyl. Its expensive, but after hearing this, I may do it myself.  :lol

I plan to! I may have to wait a week or two to order the Ultimate Bundle w/ the Blue Vinyl though, since I just landed my first real gig as a videomaker and I need to pick up a new lens for my camera that can take in more light since the environment I'll be working in is very "low light." Exciting times to be sure! :metal

For starters though, I've long since preordered the album on iTunes. But I'm definitely buying the limited edition Shadows vinyl too and will be doing it soon... ish. :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »

Jake and Joseph talked a lot about their different influences and Those you mentioned are a few of them

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2018, 03:21:42 PM »

Do you have any particular thoughts on Joseph's performance on the album compared to the first?

It has been a bit since I listened to the first one. The Joseph in my head right now is his performance with Sanctuary. And there are a couple moments where I think Warrel is smiling. But I'd have to go back to the first record and compare. I'm just gonna listen to this one for a bit and let it sink in.

I plan to! I may have to wait a week or two to order the Ultimate Bundle w/ the Blue Vinyl though, since I just landed my first real gig as a videomaker and I need to pick up a new lens for my camera that can take in more light since the environment I'll be working in is very "low light." Exciting times to be sure! :metal

Congrats man!

Jake and Joseph talked a lot about their different influences and Those you mentioned are a few of them

That's cool. I haven't read many interviews they've done. I was just guessing based on what I have heard. At least my ears can still pick things up.  :lol

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2018, 03:26:25 PM »

It has been a bit since I listened to the first one. The Joseph in my head right now is his performance with Sanctuary. And there are a couple moments where I think Warrel is smiling. But I'd have to go back to the first record and compare. I'm just gonna listen to this one for a bit and let it sink in.

Congrats man!

That's cool. I haven't read many interviews they've done. I was just guessing based on what I have heard. At least my ears can still pick things up.  :lol
It seems from the interviews they see themselves as a modern day Lennon/McCartney or May/Mercury in their writing style. No rules just two musicians in a room writing songs.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »
Reading all that just got me excited to hear the album!  I'm in the same boat - I've listened to the first album a handful of times this year and just can't get the image of seeing Joseph singing for Sanctuary out of my head.  That show was so incredible and hearing him do my favorite tunes more than justice in the wake of losing Warrel was so great and helpful in moving past Warrel's death - it really did take the sorrow out of it and turned it into a celebration, making it ok to listen to those albums again without feeling sad.

So I'll have to remember to try and put that out of my mind when I listen to Witherfall going forward.  It's hard to put on the album now, hear some of it and some vocals, and then want to turn it off and go back to Sanctuary.   :)

Offline 0u81234

« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »

Congrats man!

After reading these two reviews Witherfall posted on FB.  I am really interested in hearing “Vintage”. A couple of reviewers have said they cried during it. They gave the album 9.5/10 and a 9.8/10

https://metalwani.com/2018/10/review-witherfall-a-prelude-to-sorrow.html

https://manofmuchmetal.com/2018/10/20/witherfall-a-prelude-to-sorrow-album-review/?fbclid=IwAR27o5TTpF7nqzeOamSkyB2isq4PR1OQ817O9zIbTTToB57i-2l7m2Jl7eo

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2018, 08:40:53 AM »
Vintage is absolutely amazing. Best song the record to me. A complete emotional roller coaster.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »
Vintage is absolutely amazing. Best song the record to me. A complete emotional roller coaster.

Is there any particular band or song you'd point to as an example of what Vintage sounds like? I know one of the two reviews linked above described Vintage as resembling classic Iced Earth ballads.

What other highlights are on the album for you?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »
I can certainly hear why they think that. The beginning of Vintage immediately reminded me of the beginning of "One" by Metallica, honestly (minus the gunshots). Then I guess the first verse has a whiff of an Iced Earth style ballad to it, sure. But I tend to not like IE ballads, and I very much like this song by Witherfall a great deal.

But to be honest, its really hard to capture it in words and not do the song a disservice. It is an epic of grand proportions that could be the finest piece Witherfall has done to date.  IMO, its the most heartfelt one I've heard from them, knowing a bit of the back story behind the record. As the second movement of the song kicks in about the 4 minute mark with a pounding rhythm, bleeding into that high note and solo I mentioned yesterday, it really goes to another level. It has that feel of One by Metallica in that part, mixed with Dream Theater, and then I heard some Death Angel. Just real thrashy and aggressive, and then goes into a slower, haunting, melodic part that is probably my favorite movement of the song, where Joseph sings "travel on my friend. Your memory will never die..."   ... "This is not the end. Your music remains alive, the cadence of life..." something, something. "Your story forever told.." ... "You'll always be by my side when I feel like I can't go on anymore." And then another solo by Jake that just heightens all the emotion. He plays incredibly fast, but builds up to it. Great emotional lead-in to the speed part of the solo.

p.s. those lyrics lines are just what I caught, there are lines between some of those passages I missed.

p.p.s. another highlight for me is the solo around the 5:41 mark of We Are Nothing. It reminds me of something DeGarmo and Wilton would do back in the day (as a trade off, although here it is all Jake, I am assuming). It has that more melodic feel, and then has the more aggressive feel. And yes, I do compare stuff to DeGarmo a lot, as the guy is still my favorite songwriter and one of my favorite players. So this is all high praise as far as I am concerned.

MG - this will be your favorite Witherfall song.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:24:44 AM by Samsara »

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2018, 01:23:55 PM »
I can certainly hear why they think that. The beginning of Vintage immediately reminded me of the beginning of "One" by Metallica, honestly (minus the gunshots). Then I guess the first verse has a whiff of an Iced Earth style ballad to it, sure. But I tend to not like IE ballads, and I very much like this song by Witherfall a great deal.

But to be honest, its really hard to capture it in words and not do the song a disservice. It is an epic of grand proportions that could be the finest piece Witherfall has done to date.  IMO, its the most heartfelt one I've heard from them, knowing a bit of the back story behind the record. As the second movement of the song kicks in about the 4 minute mark with a pounding rhythm, bleeding into that high note and solo I mentioned yesterday, it really goes to another level. It has that feel of One by Metallica in that part, mixed with Dream Theater, and then I heard some Death Angel. Just real thrashy and aggressive, and then goes into a slower, haunting, melodic part that is probably my favorite movement of the song, where Joseph sings "travel on my friend. Your memory will never die..."   ... "This is not the end. Your music remains alive, the cadence of life..." something, something. "Your story forever told.." ... "You'll always be by my side when I feel like I can't go on anymore." And then another solo by Jake that just heightens all the emotion. He plays incredibly fast, but builds up to it. Great emotional lead-in to the speed part of the solo.

p.s. those lyrics lines are just what I caught, there are lines between some of those passages I missed.

p.p.s. another highlight for me is the solo around the 5:41 mark of We Are Nothing. It reminds me of something DeGarmo and Wilton would do back in the day (as a trade off, although here it is all Jake, I am assuming). It has that more melodic feel, and then has the more aggressive feel. And yes, I do compare stuff to DeGarmo a lot, as the guy is still my favorite songwriter and one of my favorite players. So this is all high praise as far as I am concerned.

MG - this will be your favorite Witherfall song.

Whoah... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtFweyp6Qqs

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2018, 11:15:45 PM »
After almost two years of waiting, I'm happy to say I'm now finishing my first listen to Witherfall's second album! :metal

My first impressions:
- A Prelude to Sorrow shows a staggering growth from the first album. The same various musical influences we've all compared the band are obviously all still there, but you can really tell Jake and Joseph are solidifying their own unique "Witherfall" voice from those influences here.
- We Are Nothing is insane. The album opens with cannons roaring and I freaking love it. It's like Sacrifice on steroids meets Pink Floyd's Dogs and some hints of Control Denied thrown in for good measure.
- Communion of the Wicked is a fun gem that I haven't seen too many reviews point out yet. Might be my single favorite chorus on the whole album and there's some guitar parts on that song that sound like Awake-era Petrucci.
- Vintage... Not sure yet if it's my absolute favorite Witherfall song yet or not, but it's absolutely up there already and I think it's safe to say this one's going to be a fan favorite for years to come. It's like if Handful of Rain-era Savatage wrote Metallica's "One" but Crimson Glory's Midnight was on vocals instead of Zak Stevens.

Incredible album and Samsara's right- there's a ton to unpack with this monster of an album. Jake and Joseph just hit a homerun with this baby. :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline 0u81234

« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2018, 02:05:52 AM »
“We Are Nothing” and “Vintage”... holy fuck.  The book end effect of those is insane. What a story the “A Prelude to Sorrow” (the record)  tells.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2018, 05:26:09 AM »
“We Are Nothing” and “Vintage”... holy fuck.  The book end effect of those is insane. What a story the “A Prelude to Sorrow” (the record)  tells.

Seriously. Those two songs alone are worth the price of admission, IMO.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Grappler

« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2018, 06:18:15 AM »
I am absolutely loving this disc.  There is some monster guitar work on the album, and Joseph is showing so many facets of his voice.  The highs, lows, screams, some rougher, growled stuff.  What a fantastic follow up to the debut!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2018, 07:15:15 AM »
I am absolutely loving this disc.  There is some monster guitar work on the album, and Joseph is showing so many facets of his voice.  The highs, lows, screams, some rougher, growled stuff.  What a fantastic follow up to the debut!

Seriously. I quite liked Joseph's performance on the first album, but both he and Jake show a ton of growth and versatility on this album! :hefdaddy

Also, Steve Bolognese's drumming on this album is top notch. Loved his work on Into Eternity, but I think this is probably his best album yet!

That said, I'm still wondering if Gergo Borlai is on any of these songs (it kinda sounds like it might be him on the middle part of Vintage?) since that initial press release on their site mentioned Borlai was on the album, but none of the reviews I've seen confirm whether that's the case or not.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2018, 08:20:00 AM »
Glad you guys dig it. I loved it so much, that in addition to the CD pre-order I had already, I ordered the blue vinyl and some other goodies from their site. Just a great record from top to bottom.