0 (0%)
Texas Rangers
0 (0%)
Toronto Blue Jays
2 (4.8%)
Washington Nationals
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: 2017 MLB Thread - The Astros' Ascension  (Read 18702 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
2017 MLB Thread - The Astros' Ascension
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »
2016 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45462.0
2015 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43353.0

We are entering uncharted territory. For the first time in any of our lifetimes, the Chicago Cubs begin a season as the reigning World Series champions! On top of that, they are a favorite to win it all again this year!

New managers in Arizona, Atlanta, Chicago (AL) & Colorado. New stadium in Atlanta. All-Star game in Miami, continuing the run of NL ballpark hosts.

What is the state of your team(s) heading into 2017?
 How do you feel about the moves made thus far in the offseason?
Do you care about the World Baseball Classic?
Any early predictions?

Here’s to a fun 2017 season…. With a lot less tragedy please…..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:05:11 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017 MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
Pirates fan here. Latest news is that McCutchen is moving to RF, Marte to CF, and Polanco to LF. It's a move that should've happened sooner, and I'm glad to see he's accepting it.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:13:39 AM »
Pirates fan here. Latest news is that McCutchen is moving to RF, Marte to CF, and Polanco to LF. It's a move that should've happened sooner, and I'm glad to see he's accepting it.

Yea, hopefully he is a good sport about it. At this point, Marte is the better CF without question.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »

Yea, hopefully he is a good sport about it. At this point, Marte is the better CF without question.
He posted a photo of Clemente in RF soon after it was announced, so he seems to be embracing it, at least publicly.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »

He posted a photo of Clemente in RF soon after it was announced, so he seems to be embracing it, at least publicly.

Whatever helps him sleep at night :lol

That all being said, I think the Pirates are going to continue to go downhill (the progression they have been on) regardless of who plays where in the outfield. Where your outfielders are standing doesn't make up for the fact that your starting rotation sucks and your team can't hit for power at all.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
Yeah, the starting rotation is terrible. They didn't do anything to address it last offseason, and I haven't heard much so far this offseason, so it may be another long year.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
Cards fan....mostly by obligation but I do enjoy watching them, just not as psycho as most 'fans' about them. Anyway, I fully expect the Front Office to continue to take advantage of the fan base and not go out and 'buy' offensive help, they know the fans will show up 3 million strong year after year no matter what.

I expect the Cards to be in contention but not win the Division, maybe make a Wild Card Spot. And as last season can attest to...Mike Matheny will continue to make bone headed managerial decisions that he got away with (2) years ago thanks to his team bailing him out but was burned on last year because it was reality.

I think it's VERY hard for teams to repeat at this stage of the baseball era so I don't think the Cubs will do it....but they sure don't look to be getting any 'worse'.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
My Cubs are the easy pick to repeat. However, much is to be seen. The great thing about the team is that they're young, and built to be around for the long haul. If that core of young players continue to be hungry, and work hard then it may very well be the case. We'll see how they handle success.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 08:17:59 AM »
Go Brewers!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
RIP, Mike Ilitch.  It took you a few years after the debacle of the Tom Monaghan ownership, but then you realized that if you poured some money into the Tigers, you might make them relevant again.  In spite of the 119 loss season, you stuck with Alan Trammell as manager, started to bring in free agents, build a foundation, and then brought in Jim Leland and some more star power.

You stood outside of 'Tiger' Stadium, along with GM Dan Dombrowski, greeted and shook hands with mourners following Ernie Harwell's passing.

Thank you, for allowing me to wear the Old English 'D' hat with pride again for these past ten plus years ( and the winged wheel for 25+ years).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:29:30 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:05:25 AM »
Dodgers made a few decent moves, got Utley (aka the Dad) back, but good players seem to do very little on this team (Carl Crawford, Andruw Jones, Shane Victorino), while young alternates come here and thrive, so who knows. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »
Damn... my MLB TV subscription was auto-renewed. Guess I'll have access to all 2,430 games live again  :metal

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
I did say that I was willing to man up and post if i was wrong.... but I wasn't, and i caught undue grief over this, so here ya go....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18921310/investigation-finds-jose-fernandez-was-operating-boat-fatal-crash

MIAMI -- The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission concluded in its nearly six-month investigation that former Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez was the operator of the speeding boat that crashed and killed Fernandez and two others in the early morning of Sept. 25, 2016.

According to public records obtained by ESPN on Thursday, the FWC's final report confirmed alcohol and drugs were involved. It also concluded that Fernandez violated multiple boating laws, including Boating Under the Influence Manslaughter, Vessel Homicide and Reckless or Careless Operation of a Vessel.

Jose Fernandez was the operator of the boat that crashed into a Miami Beach jetty, killing the Marlins ace and his two friends. WPLG
Fernandez's blood alcohol level was .147 and there was "noted presence of cocaine," according to the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's toxicology report.

The speed of the 32-foot vessel during the impact of the crash on the north side of a jetty was 65.7 miles per hour. Fernandez, Eduardo Rivero and Emilio Macias died at the scene due to blunt force impact and drowning.

The report also included a text message exchange that night between Rivero and Maria Arias, Fernandez's girlfriend. She told Rivero the pair had been arguing and asked him to take care of Fernandez. "He's been drinking and is not in the best state of mind."

EDITOR'S PICKS

To grieve Jose Fernandez's death, Giancarlo Stanton took life-changing journey
With the eyes of baseball on them, the Marlins barely had a chance to mourn. So when the season ended, their biggest star traveled three continents and came home with a renewed sense of purpose.
The report concluded: "Fernandez operated V-1 with his normal faculties impaired, in a reckless manner, at an extreme high rate of speed, in the darkness of night, in an area with known navigational hazards such as rock jetties and channel markers."

The conclusion that Fernandez was the operator was based in part on the finding that his bruises matched the damage on the boat's center console. Investigators also noted that his DNA was found on the steering wheel and throttle.

Online romdrums

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:45:15 AM »
Indians fan here.  Haven't felt this optimistic about the team since their run in the mid to late 90's.  I'm hoping for a World Series rematch with the Cubs where the Tribe comes out victorious.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
Anyone watching the WBC?

GO PUERTO RICO!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »
2017 MLB Predictions

A.L. East
1. Boston
2. Toronto
3. Baltimore
4. New York
5. Tampa Bay

A.L. Central
1. Cleveland
2. Kansas City
3. Detroit
4. Chicago
5. Minnesota

A.L. West
1. Texas
2. Seattle (WC)
3. Houston (WC)
4. Los Angeles
5. Oakland

N.L. East
1. Washington
2. New York
3. Philadelphia
4. Miami
5. Atlanta

N.L. Central
1. Chicago
2. St. Louis (WC)
3. Pittsburgh
4. Cincinnati
5. Milwaukee

N.L. West
1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco (WC)
3. Arizona
4. Colorado
5. San Diego

AL Cy Young – Chris Sale
NL Cy Young – Clayton Kershaw

AL MVP – Mookie Betts
NL MVP – Kris Bryant

ALCS – Boston defeats Cleveland
NLCS – Chicago defeats Washington

World Series – Boston defeats Chicago

Hope I’m wrong!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »
Yankees fan since 1979. The team has a lot of young, promising position players. But the pitching...ugh. Yanks will probably be right around 85 wins this year, +/- 3. I think Tanaka is going to blow is elbow, CC is done, and Pineda has never lived up to his potential. Frankly, if I were Joe Girardi, I would have a rotation of Tanaka, Pineda, and then three young starters, just to develop them. Put CC in long relief.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of the young guys do well. Bird, Judge and of course Sanchez could be stars. And that kid the Yanks got from the Cubs is starting the year at AA. He'll be called up before September, I'm sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

World Series – Boston defeats Chicago

Hope I’m wrong!

How Dare You!!!

Meh, it's certainly possible. I'm still a little bit stunned that the Cubs won it last year.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline T-ski

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 08:11:49 AM »
have the Brewers been eliminated yet?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »

For long-suffering Brewers fans, I'd normally want to see them do well.

But so long as Braun is on their team, I'm enjoying their suckage.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »

For long-suffering Brewers fans, I'd normally want to see them do well.

But so long as Braun is on their team, I'm enjoying their suckage.

I'm pretty sure Braun is disliked 100% outside the Milwaukee/WI area, and about 50% within it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
As a matter of fact, yes. Yes they have.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
Machado made another platinum glove level play. Trumbo had a trumbomb....and the Orioles win their opener in extra innings!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 07:59:39 PM »
Machado made another platinum glove level play. Trumbo had a trumbomb....and the Orioles win their opener in extra innings!

I watched the highlight reel. Nice to see the walk-offs happening already. Plus, like I said on my Facebook page, we have a pitcher tied for the league lead in homeruns. How often does a pitcher hit two homers in a game?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
Tanaka?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »
MadBum

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 08:16:41 PM »
What coast are you on? The West Coast of the Hudson doesn't count.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
The right coast

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:14 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYr0YUKbWV8

Every time I see him make a play no one else can, he then does something even more amazing.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Pleased that the Orioles have jumped out to a 4-0 start. That will come in handy if the trend of midsummer slumping ensues.

In other news..Phillies dropped 12 runs on the Nats in the 1st inning!!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 10:39:44 PM »
Rough start for the Jankees. That winning record in Spring Training paid off well for them.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »
Cards suck so far.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 11:22:49 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 03:42:10 PM »
If Madison Bumgarner goes on the DL because of a dirt bike accident, my guess is that this is what the bike looks like: