Author Topic: The "DT's opening acts" thread  (Read 5042 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "DT's opening acts" thread
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 03:24:55 AM »
Let's see...

Labyrinth (Italian metal band) - meh
Angra - funny
Symphony X -  great
Unexpected - awful
Bigefl - interesting surprise
Opeth - oh god no please
Gamma Ray - went out of the gig for dinner
Anathema - thanks god and DT for making me be aware of this incredible band
Periphery - cool

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 05:30:53 AM »
I managed to see Spock's Beard open for them several times in 2000, and they were the first band I really enjoyed despite not knowing much of their material. Actually, seeing them live moved me to pick up their (then) new album V.

Exact same thing happened with me. Had never heard of SB, but was totally floored by the performance. Picked up V right after. Those were the days still when DT was more of a prog band than a metal band, so having SB open made sense.

Can I chime in to say it was for me that way also?

Didn't know Spock's Beard before but they blew me away, went the next day to purchase V and am a big fan ever since.

Others I saw:

Pain Of Salvation: didn't leave a good impression, were too chaotic, but I checked out their records nonetheless. They are great but they either had a bad night or it wasn't the right time for me to appreciate them.

Vanden Plas: Left me cold and I was kinda bored during their set, never did check them out later

Symphony X: Good, but had some sound issues, always meaning to go deeper but never had the time.

According to the tourography on mp.com I also saw Fates Warning, Enchant and Tiles but I have absolutely no memory of them, so either they didn't leave any kind of impression or the info in the tourography is wrong. I definitely wasn't late to the shows and at least Fates Warning was a band that I did know (if only casually) at the time so I would/should have enjoyed them.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:49 AM »
First off, I will say that I NEVER want to see Dream Theater with an opening band again.  Ever!  The last good opening bands I've seen with DT (imo) was in 2002 (Satch and King's X).

As for who I've seen open for them...
 - Echolyn - pretty cool
 - Morgenstein-Rudess Project - very cool
 - Einstein - enjoyable
 - Big Wreck - no thanks
 - Dixie Dregs - enjoyable
 - Joe Satriani - always good
 - King's X - always good
 - Into Eternity - don't remember
 - Redemption - don't remember
 - Zappa Plays Zappa - cool
 - Scale The Summit - don't remember
 - Bigelf - don't remember
 - Trivium - no thanks

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
Wow.  If you couldn't enjoy Trivium, you really missed out.  They are a fantastic live band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »
 - Echolyn - pretty cool

Ahh Echolyn.      I don't remember them, but I remember my old singer buying their album, so I guess I must have seen them open for DT
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 10:16:33 AM »
 - Echolyn - pretty cool

Ahh Echolyn.      I don't remember them, but I remember my old singer buying their album, so I guess I must have seen them open for DT
I saw them open for DT back in '95.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »
Wow.  If you couldn't enjoy Trivium, you really missed out.  They are a fantastic live band.
That may be the case.  I'm just not into them as a band.  I was sitting 3rd row in Morristown NJ and couldn't wait to see DT live for the first time with Mangini.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »
The only thing I remember about Trivium is their insane headbanging. Musically they're not my cup of tea.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »
I've been seeing Big Wreck's name being thrown around since they did open for DT a long time ago.  I think that's a great shout-out as an opening band if DT goes with an opening band route.  Their last three albums have been good-great to me.  I think the crowds would dig them.  I'd dig them live if it means they come to Southern California along with a DT set.

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »
I love to see Plini and/or Aaron Marshel (Intervals) open for DT.

Offline genome

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
Hah, I've seen DT 9 times and only 3 gigs had opening acts.

Symphony X - remains the only time I've seen them - thoroughly enjoyed
Periphery - decent, but were a bit lost on the London crowd and the sound was bad. I've seen them elsewhere since and they were much better.
Virtual Symmetry - can't remember much of them, but what I did hear was impressive.
Evergrey - quite good

Offline metrojam

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
Best support act I've seen for DT, was the brilliant Vanden Plas. Up next are Symphony X and Threshold. Spocks Beard were good too.
Worst were Periphery and Opeth.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 05:57:26 AM »
My first DT show was at the Monsters of Rock in São Paulo in 1998. Other acts were Glenn Hughes, Manowar, Saxon, Savatage, Slayer and Megadeth. Then in 2006 there were no opening acts. After that, I saw Bigelf (in Rio) and Pain of Salvation (in Perth) opening for them.

Offline JLa

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 01:35:34 AM »
I think I've only seen them touring with Pain of Salvation. That night I thought PoS were horrible. Their music isn't exactly easy listening for a first-timer, and I remember they struggled with the sound.

People around me seemed relieved when PoS 'finally' left the stage...

I ended up buying a few of their records anyway though, The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane are both excellent!