Author Topic: Rush's Five Album Run From 2112 To Moving Pictures  (Read 9790 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush's Five Album Run From 2112 To Moving Pictures
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 10:08:59 PM »
Marc is a great guy and a valued poster here. I apologized for being an ass.

But that'd be like me listing 5 consecutive Alice Cooper or UFO albums. Who cares! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
Why would anyone want to do that?   ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »
Marc is a great guy and a valued poster here. I apologized for being an ass.

But that'd be like me listing 5 consecutive Alice Cooper or UFO albums. Who cares! :lol

I mean, if YOU think they are great album runs, why not share them? Others might find that information useful, especially when trying to get into a new band or artist they've never heard before. To hear that a band has at LEAST five consecutive albums worth hearing means they're doing SOMETHING right, and if anyone can pick one of those five, like it, and then listen to the other four, you've done a good job of selling the band to a new fan. It's high praise to any band when a fan can recommend not just one or two, but five consecutive albums.

But you guys are right, I probably did go a bit overboard. Yeah, my lists aren't WIDELY RECOGNIZED by the general public, but this is a forum of Dream Theater fans - I think we know plenty of bands that will never be widely recognized for their work, so why not have fun and share what we all love?

???

Testimony 2
Momentum
Songs for November
The Grand Experiment
TSOAD

That is five official releases in a row.  Songs for November is probably just good, but it still belongs in his run since it was an official release.

That's true, I suppose, but if you're counting Songs From November, you might as well count 2013's Get In The Boat and 2016's To God Be The Glory. Then again, any run of Neal albums will always have a worship or singer/songwriter album stuck in the middle because he writes and releases so much damn music!!!

V/Bridge Across Forever/Snow is perhaps the finest trilogy in prog rock. Considering Neal is the primary writer in both Spock's and Transatlantic, it is mindblowing that he was able to come up with 3 masterpieces in 3 consecutive years. Especially one being an ambitious double album. Plus Testimony came a year later.
Very true, his output in the early 2000's is breath-taking, between his last two albums with SB, the first two TA albums, and Testimony.

Sorry Marc, I'm being an ass. ;D
Also true.

I'm with you, TAC. I think some of M's list is more a list of favorites. There's no way LZ put out 5 albums worthy of the same recognition as Led Zeppelin IV. Also, leaving out King Crimson's ITCOTCK is just silly. M might like those later KC releases, but again, this isn't about favoritism. It's about picking quintessential releases from a band who did it more than three or four times in a row.

But then I disagree with your confusion about The Flower Kings. Just because they aren't mainstream doesn't mean they aren't great releases in the prog world. Rush's best albums are not their most popular as far as radio play.
Sure, LZ IV gets a LOT of recognition, and while I'm not old enough to have lived through the height of their popularity, I think that their first four albums are still pretty good, having quite a few singles and popular songs on them, but you're probably right, LZ IV overshadows anything that came before or after it.

Back to the topic at hand - yes, Rush's album run of 2112-MP has to be one of the quintessential rock/prog rock five-album runs, right up there with any run by Yes or Genesis. Even Rush probably feel that way, having played all of MP, 5/6ths of PEW, a little over half of HEMI, about half of AFTK, and a little over half of 2112 in the last 20 years of their tours (since the TFE tour). I think they know how popular those albums are with their fanbase and were not afraid to try and play as much of them as they (and Geddy's vocals) could handle.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
I'm with you, TAC. I think some of M's list is more a list of favorites. There's no way LZ put out 5 albums worthy of the same recognition as Led Zeppelin IV. Also, leaving out King Crimson's ITCOTCK is just silly. M might like those later KC releases, but again, this isn't about favoritism. It's about picking quintessential releases from a band who did it more than three or four times in a row.

But then I disagree with your confusion about The Flower Kings. Just because they aren't mainstream doesn't mean they aren't great releases in the prog world. Rush's best albums are not their most popular as far as radio play.
Sure, LZ IV gets a LOT of recognition, and while I'm not old enough to have lived through the height of their popularity, I think that their first four albums are still pretty good, having quite a few singles and popular songs on them, but you're probably right, LZ IV overshadows anything that came before or after it.

Back to the topic at hand - yes, Rush's album run of 2112-MP has to be one of the quintessential rock/prog rock five-album runs, right up there with any run by Yes or Genesis. Even Rush probably feel that way, having played all of MP, 5/6ths of PEW, a little over half of HEMI, about half of AFTK, and a little over half of 2112 in the last 20 years of their tours (since the TFE tour). I think they know how popular those albums are with their fanbase and were not afraid to try and play as much of them as they (and Geddy's vocals) could handle.

-Marc.

That's a valid point about LZ. I'm trying to remain as objective as possible about them because I think they're horribly overrated. I recognize LZ IV and a handful of other songs as having an important place in music history. Maybe my opinion is TOO overshadowed by my dislike of them.

I mean, as much as I hope the responses to be more objective, there's no way to avoid putting a personal opinion into one's response. It's an exercise in futility. I liked that you mentioned The Flower Kings by the way. They're just brilliant beyond all brilliance (a person opinion). Answer this honestly. Do you consider them to have four or five albums in a row that could be considered prog rock must-haves?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2017, 11:13:02 PM »
I'm not a hardcore fan of this band so I'm not sure what the general consensus is on these albums, but I think Between the Buried and Me could potentially fit on this list very soon. Every album they've done since Colors has been a home run for me. That's four albums in a row so far. Coma Ecliptic could very well be the best of them all. If they can do it again with the next album, that'll be 5 albums in a row that are must-haves of progressive Metal IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2017, 11:20:25 PM »
I didn't see anyone mention Porcupine Tree.   It's somewhat personal....But I think that in prog circles, everything between The Sky Moves Sideways all the way to Fear of a Blank Planet is a 7 album run that I would put up against any 7 album in all of prog rock history.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 11:59:41 PM »
I didn't see anyone mention Porcupine Tree.   It's somewhat personal....But I think that in prog circles, everything between The Sky Moves Sideways all the way to Fear of a Blank Planet is a 7 album run that I would put up against any 7 album in all of prog rock history.

I mentioned PT in my first response in this thread, back on page 1. I brought up Stupid Dream to FOABP.

-Marc.

That's a valid point about LZ. I'm trying to remain as objective as possible about them because I think they're horribly overrated. I recognize LZ IV and a handful of other songs as having an important place in music history. Maybe my opinion is TOO overshadowed by my dislike of them.

I mean, as much as I hope the responses to be more objective, there's no way to avoid putting a personal opinion into one's response. It's an exercise in futility. I liked that you mentioned The Flower Kings by the way. They're just brilliant beyond all brilliance (a person opinion). Answer this honestly. Do you consider them to have four or five albums in a row that could be considered prog rock must-haves?

For TFK, as I said earlier, their first five albums are all modern prog classics, IMO. Some of the best symphonic prog of the 90s. The Rainmaker is a bit hit-or-miss, as is Adam & Eve, but everything else stands just as highly for me. Yes, I even enjoy The Sum of No Evil. Even just the 3 album run of SWA-FP-SR is unparalleled, even among anything else Roine has done.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bundy

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 03:49:59 AM »
No Eloy fans here I'm guessing? Or perhaps most are unfamiliar with them and the run of albums I posted earlier. As far as prog goes, this stands up to any run of five albums in consistency. If they had been English rather than German, and on a major label rather than EMI's prog offshoot (Harvest), this band would have been huge. Anyone enjoying WYWH era Floyd or Moonmadness era Camel ought to go apeshit over these albums. Check these out if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99jLQFgKR3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzFJNU8YYL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeO4IAhpGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCMdigCBHpU

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 05:32:06 AM »

???

Testimony 2
Momentum
Songs for November
The Grand Experiment
TSOAD

That is five official releases in a row.  Songs for November is probably just good, but it still belongs in his run since it was an official release.

That's true, I suppose, but if you're counting Songs From November, you might as well count 2013's Get In The Boat and 2016's To God Be The Glory. Then again, any run of Neal albums will always have a worship or singer/songwriter album stuck in the middle because he writes and releases so much damn music!!!

Nah, most of those worship albums he releases are unofficial ones that you can really only buy on his site at Radiant, while Songs from November was an official release that you could buy almost anywhere.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
No Eloy fans here I'm guessing? Or perhaps most are unfamiliar with them and the run of albums I posted earlier. As far as prog goes, this stands up to any run of five albums in consistency. If they had been English rather than German, and on a major label rather than EMI's prog offshoot (Harvest), this band would have been huge. Anyone enjoying WYWH era Floyd or Moonmadness era Camel ought to go apeshit over these albums. Check these out if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99jLQFgKR3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzFJNU8YYL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeO4IAhpGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCMdigCBHpU

As I mentioned in the other thread, too, I love Eloy. They're one of my best finds last year while doing some digging for new music to listen to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2017, 07:57:46 AM »

But you yourself said:

I wouldn't include Dream Theater. Falling Into Infinity comes nowhere near Images and Words or Awake in terms of being amazing albums, albums that people remember them for. It's not just from my personal standpoint; it just has never been received well in comparison to the others.

I also think some people are picking what they think is great based on what they like. For example, see above. BTBAM, while a good band, do not match up to the likes of a Rush or Beatles or Iron Maiden. It's just not the same thing.

We have to decide on a standard.   If it's "publicly received", then Led Zeppelin is top three and half of the rest of the stuff mentioned doesn't belong here at all.   (BTBAM?  Flower Kings?)   Here in the States, you can literally hear any song - ANY song, not just the singles, except for perhaps "Hats Off To Roy Harper" - from any of the first SIX Zeppelin albums on classic radio.   It's probably the most highly regarded six album run of any band ever, with "Help!" through Abbey Road a close second.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2017, 08:05:50 AM »
This whole thread is incredibly ambiguous to be honest. He continuously states how it is about objectivity but then fuels almost all of his posts with personal interests. I think in any case, it is kind of weird to have a "discussion thread" revolve around a problem that is supposed to be solved by factual information.

On another note, apparently bundy mentioned this one but I saw it pass by on a different forum and thought it could be a great contender too (even though I'm not a fan): Black Sabbath: s/t --> Sabotage
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2017, 08:07:11 AM »
Metallica - KEA through TBA.

Then everything became shit afterwards.  :rollin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
Reading through all the "lets be objective" posts in a thread that's ultimately about opinions is so absurd and I kinda thought the whole "music can be objectively good" discussion was shot down years ago for how stupid it is

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
This whole thread is incredibly ambiguous to be honest. He continuously states how it is about objectivity but then fuels almost all of his posts with personal interests. I think in any case, it is kind of weird to have a "discussion thread" revolve around a problem that is supposed to be solved by factual information.

On another note, apparently bundy mentioned this one but I saw it pass by on a different forum and thought it could be a great contender too (even though I'm not a fan): Black Sabbath: s/t --> Sabotage

Yes, I have included some personal opinions here but if you paid close attention you will see that I made sure they didn't affect what I originally stated in the OP. I seem to also recall saying that my strong distaste of LZ is too much for me to judge them fairly here, so I'm quite adept at know when I cannot be completely objective. I implore you to show me where my opinion alone decided whether or not a band fit the intention of the OP.    ;)

But you yourself said:

I wouldn't include Dream Theater. Falling Into Infinity comes nowhere near Images and Words or Awake in terms of being amazing albums, albums that people remember them for. It's not just from my personal standpoint; it just has never been received well in comparison to the others.

I also think some people are picking what they think is great based on what they like. For example, see above. BTBAM, while a good band, do not match up to the likes of a Rush or Beatles or Iron Maiden. It's just not the same thing.

We have to decide on a standard.   If it's "publicly received", then Led Zeppelin is top three and half of the rest of the stuff mentioned doesn't belong here at all.   (BTBAM?  Flower Kings?)   Here in the States, you can literally hear any song - ANY song, not just the singles, except for perhaps "Hats Off To Roy Harper" - from any of the first SIX Zeppelin albums on classic radio.   It's probably the most highly regarded six album run of any band ever, with "Help!" through Abbey Road a close second.

Where is the confusion? I didn't mention public reception as a basis for what fits the bill.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2017, 09:21:14 AM »
Reading through all the "lets be objective" posts in a thread that's ultimately about opinions is so absurd and I kinda thought the whole "music can be objectively good" discussion was shot down years ago for how stupid it is

Hey, just because you can't separate the two doesn't mean the rest of the world is just as inept. It's very easy to be able to think something is good for what it is without having to be crazy about it yourself. I'll give you a nice easy example. I can't stand Led Zeppelin. His voice irritates me and hearing some of their live tracks is scary. However, I can see how to some people that isn't a basis for comparison. Not everybody analyzes music the same and I can understand that. People see music differently. How many people turn their nose at Dream Theater BUT can still admit the guys in the band are great musicians? It's very simple.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
I would like to give Marc a public morning after apology. I was pretty fired up after the Super Bowl. A few too many Trooper 666's.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »

Queensrÿche - Warning, Rage For Order, Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, Promised Land.  Granted, Promised Land is a polarizer to a lot of fans, but I personally love it and would stack it up against anything else in their catalogue.  Regardless, this five-album run is pretty incredible with a lot of stylistic difference from record to record.

I fully agree. Ignore TAC. He gets confused.  :lol

QR's five-album run is up there with the best of them. Rush's run is spectacular. Original QR is my favorite band, so I rank their run highest personally, but being objective, Rush's five-album string is arguably hard to top.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »
If I look at consecutive 4-star or better album runs, Rush is the Winner by a large margin (and may never be topped), but there's a few that also go 5 or more.

Rush: Caress of Steel through Presto (11)
Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother through Animals (6)
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin I through Physical Graffiti (6)
Renaissance: Ashes are Burning through A Song for All Seasons (5)
Genesis: Trespass through The Lamb (5)
Pain of Salvation: Entropia through Be (5)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:27:25 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
I agree about Rush, hard to top that.  Same with the last 5 post 2000 Maiden albums.
The first four BOSTON albums are great!
Boston, Don't Look Back, Third Stage, Walk On..,
 Walk On doesn't even have Brad Delp on Vocals, it's Fran Cosmo and he did a great job!  The album is indeed that good.
 After that, the next album Corporate America is Aweful utter crap, lol, doesn't even sound like Boston.. Their latest album "Life Love Hope" is a decent recovery after CA..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
I'm at a loss here.  Either it's subjective or not.    If Caress of Steel fits (a record even the BAND doesn't really care for), then I put in both Kiss and AC/DC, because I could literally be given any of their albums at random and enjoy them (well, maybe Crazy Nights and Carnival of Souls are excluded from that).    Genesis from Nursery Cryme through Invisible Touch, too, Maiden from Killers through Seventh Son, Sabbath from the debut through Born Again, etc.  That I love it, does anyone really think that Technical Ecstasy is a "classic album"?  Or "Never Say Die"?

And while many of you don't know, "Grace Under Pressure" negates that Rush run for me, too.  What a let down that was from Signals (one of my favorite Rush albums) and thank god they returned to form with Power Windows!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »
^
(but I got to play bass on stage many times for a friend's band back in the day for 'Distant Early Warning'...and I love 'Red Sector A', but yup, it's weak)

Going with Stadler here:  geez, the first 13 Queen LPs were all great ;)

Seriously:

Led Zeppelin: I through 'Physical Graffiti'
Queen: II through 'News Of The World'
Journey:  'Infinity' through 'Frontiers' are 'mostly' strong, 'Infinity' and 'Escape' are superb.

Can't count The Beatles 'Magical Mystery Tour' as an album, since it wasn't....but 'Help', 'Rubber Soul, 'Revolver', 'Sgt. Pepper', 'The Beatles', 'Abbey Road'......was a pretty good run. ;)

If one said 'five of six', then Pink Floyd, Queensryche, KISS, Styx, Yes are certainly there.  But they all had one huge fail/unremarkable release in the mix.

Sorry.

uh, same with Dream Theater.  But, geez, don't we enjoy what we have?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:14:14 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 02:31:38 AM »
I wouldn't say Grace Under Pressure is weak. I understand you don't like it but I don't think there is anything about it that makes it bad and worse than Signals or Power Windows. In fact, I love Grace more than those two.

How about Camel? Camel-Mirage-Snow Goose-Moonmadness, those are perfect albums.
Also, I think Riverside can't do wrong. I know I'm a fanboy but maybe some of you agree :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »
I wouldn't say Grace Under Pressure is weak. I understand you don't like it but I don't think there is anything about it that makes it bad and worse than Signals or Power Windows. In fact, I love Grace more than those two.

How about Camel? Camel-Mirage-Snow Goose-Moonmadness, those are perfect albums.
Also, I think Riverside can't do wrong. I know I'm a fanboy but maybe some of you agree :P

I totally am comfortable with this being my opinion only, as I've had the conversation too many times to count (and even went through a phase where I'd revisit every couple months, just to see...) but it is, in my estimation, and compared to the rest of the catalogue, WEAK.  Arguably the weakest.  And there IS a reason:

It is singularly my least favorite Neil drum sounds ever, period.   I listen to Rush largely for Peart, as he is one of about three drummers (the others are Collins and Portnoy) that I can actually sit and watch/listen to independent of the music they're playing along with.   I can listen to that man play for HOURS.  Love the segments in the doc on Snakes and Arrows where it's just him playing.   Etc. Etc.  And for whatever reason, the sound of his drums on that album - and, as it is my opinion only, his playing as a result - are subpar when compared to the rest of the catalogue. 

I'm also not a huge fan of Andy Summers' work on that album - oops, I'm sorry, I meant Alex Lifeson.   There are few moments that approach "epic" for me, like the intro to Signals.  The ending to Losing It.   The chorus' to both Marathon and Manhattan Project.   I just think that the very few high points were done better elsewhere in the catalogue.  I don't "hate" every song - Distant Early Warning is very good live, as is The Enemy Within.

It is, however, one of my favorite album covers of all time, by any band.  I'll give it that. 

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
That 5 album strech of Rush is amazing (2112 to MP).  Genesis had a good 6 great albums up to Wind and wuthering ( included). Beside Rush, Genesis is the only prog band ai have followed totally but I agree with the choices of Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Kansas, bands which I do have many of their best stuff but not the whole 5 straight great albums.

The non prog, the first 5 Led Zep (I think it was followed by The songs remains the same, so a constant top notch album), the last 5 of the Beatles for sure.

By memory I only fan get that. Would have to look at my collection to recall better.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
Count me in as someone who loves Grace Under Pressure, reggae riffs and all.  Probably my favorite post-Moving Pictures Rush album. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
Grace Under Pressure is my favorite of the synth era and probably my #6. Was in the top 5 until CA came out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
I just started this exact discussion on the ProgArchives forum. I'm really curious to see the different opinions.

When I see those five albums I see five brilliant pieces of music that any group would be lucky to have as part of their career. It's not just that though. It's five straight albums of great music. Sure, you can even include Caress of Steel, but I think that comes behind the other five. To me, that five album run is one of the best in prog  istory. Can anyone think of any other runs that match up with it? I'm sure there are a few.

I can't even say Pink Floyd. You do have Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, which is arguably the best four album run in all of music history. Flanking that you have Obscured by Clouds (good but not great) and The Final Cut, so you can't say five. Does Yes have five great albums in a row? The Beatles (if you want to call all of their stuff prog, which it isn't)?

Let's see what everyone has. I think this will be an interesting discussion.

As I read through all of the posts, I came back to the OP and IMO, there was no better run than those 5 Rush releases. I think my age might have an impact as I remember when these were all released and the time period/atmosphere of life for me in that era. I believe that has a major impact on how I perceive music as some of the older releases i.e. Beatles, I was too young, and the newer ones i.e. PT, I was on to other things. I also think that the "RUSH" that they were at that time was, to me, far superior to any other time period in the RUSH catalog. Yes, there are spots here and there, but those 5 in a row crushed it! That could be an age thing too....JMO.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »
Rush is one of those bands I wish could stay young and healthy and live forever! The music world won't be the same without them.. Same goes for DT!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

Hey, just because you can't separate the two doesn't mean the rest of the world is just as inept. It's very easy to be able to think something is good for what it is without having to be crazy about it yourself. I'll give you a nice easy example. I can't stand Led Zeppelin. His voice irritates me and hearing some of their live tracks is scary. However, I can see how to some people that isn't a basis for comparison. Not everybody analyzes music the same and I can understand that. People see music differently. How many people turn their nose at Dream Theater BUT can still admit the guys in the band are great musicians? It's very simple.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one left. I always use movies as an analogy, I can recognize the superiority of Casablanca and Citizen Kane but still prefer to watch Aliens or Iron Man. Objective/subjective is a thing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »

But you guys are right, I probably did go a bit overboard. Yeah, my lists aren't WIDELY RECOGNIZED by the general public, but this is a forum of Dream Theater fans - I think we know plenty of bands that will never be widely recognized for their work, so why not have fun and share what we all love?

-Marc.

I wouldn't worry about this as long as I'm around. Just enjoy the musical gifts.

I know it's not five but I'd put Vapor Trails, snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against ANY other three Rush albums out there.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »

Thank you! I thought I was the only one left. I always use movies as an analogy, I can recognize the superiority of Casablanca and Citizen Kane but still prefer to watch Aliens or Iron Man. Objective/subjective is a thing.

I prefer the former, BUT can see why people love the latter.  ;)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2017, 05:59:41 AM »
How about REM.

(Fables of the Reconstruction) - Life's Rich Pageant - Document - Green - Out Of Time - Automatic For The People.
That's either 5 or 6 if you include Fables.

Depeche Mode.

Black Celebration - Music For The Masses - Violator - Songs of Faith and Devotion - Ultra.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
I'm not a big REM fan, but they've been popular for a long time so it's possible. DM have made some really good albums, especially Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
Aerosmith: Aerosmith -> Draw The Line
Akinetón Retard: Akinetón Retard -> Cadencia Urmana
Alice Cooper: Killer -> Muscle Of Love     or    Love It To Death -> Welcome To My Nightmare
Anathema: Judgement -> Weather Systems
Art Zoyd: Art Zoyd 3 -> Phase IV
Ayreon: Into The Electric Castle -> 01011001
Beardfish: Sleeping In Traffic Part One -> The Void
Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath -> Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Camel: Camel -> Rain Dances
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Creedence Clearwater Revival -> Cosmo's Factory
Deep Purple: The Book Of Taliesyn -> Machine Head
Devin Townsend: Terria -> Addicted
Dream Theater: Images And Words -> Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Emerson, Lake & Palmer -> Brain Salad Surgery
Estradasphere: Buck Fever -> Palace Of Mirrors
Focus: In And Out Of Focus -> Mother Focus
Frank Zappa: Freak Out! -> Hot Rats     or     Hot Rats -> Weasels Ripped My Flesh     or    The Grand Wazoo -> One Size Fits All
Genesis: Trespass -> The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Gentle Giant: Gentle Giant -> In A Glass House   or   Octopus -> Interview
Grand Funk Railroad: Grand Funk -> E Pluribus Funk
Guapo: Five Suns -> Obscure Knowledge
Haken: Enter The 5th Dimension -> Affinity
Hiromi Uehara: Another Mind -> Beyond Standard   or   Place To Be -> Spark
Iced Earth: Burnt Offerings -> Horror Show
Iron Maiden: Iron Maiden -> Powerslave
Isis: Celestial -> Wavering Radiant
Jethro Tull: This Was -> Thick As A Brick
Joni Mitchell: Song To A Seagull -> For The Roses
Kayo Dot: Choirs Of The Eye -> Gamma Knife
King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King -> Larks' Tongues In Aspic
King's X: Out Of The Silent Planet -> Dogman
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin I -> Houses Of The Holy   or    Led Zeppelin III -> Presence
Leprous: Aeolia -> The Congregation
Magma: Kobaïa -> Üdü Ẁüdü
Metallica: Kill 'Em All -> Metallica
Miriodor: Recontres -> Parade + Live At NEARfest
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: From Her To Eternity -> Boatman's Call
Opeth: Still Life -> Ghost Reveries
Pain Of Salvation: Entropia -> BE
Pekka Pohjola: Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva -> Kätkävaaran Lohikäärme
Pink Floyd: Meddle -> Animals
Porcupine Tree: The Sky Moves Sideways -> In Absentia
Present: Triskaïdékaphobie -> Barbaro (Ma Non Troppo)
Rammstein: Herzeleid -> Rosenrot
Renaissance: Prologue -> Novella
Riverside: Second Life Syndrome -> Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
Rush: Fly By Night -> Permanent Waves
Santana: Abraxas -> Borboletta
Strapping Young Lad: Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing -> The New Black
Swans: Soundtracks For The Blind -> The Glowing Man
Symphony X: The Divine Wings Of Tragedy -> Paradise Lost
The Beatles: Rubber Soul -> The Beatles
The Doors: The Doors -> Morrison Hotel
The Residents: Meet The Residents -> Duck Stab & Buster & Glen
The Who: Tommy -> Who Are You
Univers Zero: Univers Zero -> Uzed
Van Der Graaf Generator: The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other -> Still Life
Yes: Fragile -> Going For The One