Never Enough
10 (25.6%)
Sacrificed Sons
3 (7.7%)
Octavarium
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: February 04, 2017, 03:27:20 PM

Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - Octavarium - Round 1  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - Octavarium - Round 1
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
Sacrificed Sons is Top 2 on this album for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
Sacrificed Sons is a top 5 DT song for me, it seems to be a very polarizing song so this could be a disaster of a survivor for someone who ranks it as high as I do :lol though apparently I'm not the only one which is good to see.

I don't expect SS to make it to the finals (it's my clear-cut #1 on the album) but it would be nice to at least see it reach the top half of the album.

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
Octavarium.  I feel it's terribly overrated.  Musically, it's okay, but Mike Portnoy's "jack the ripper owens wilson" lyrics are just awful.  I know for a lot of DT fans it's their pinnacle, but for me, it's cringe inducing.  That said, I do like John Myung's nod to Heart of the Sunrise on the bass in Part II of the song.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
At least Octavarium has the least votes. If it was close to getting voted out I would definitely think there's something going on.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »
Sacrificed Sons is the best song on this album, no contest.

Not a moment is wasted in that song.

Octavarium gets my vote. As I've learned, there are some parts of this song I do not like at all and that itself drags the song down by miles.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2017, 02:16:59 PM »
Octavarium.  I feel it's terribly overrated.  Musically, it's okay, but Mike Portnoy's "jack the ripper owens wilson" lyrics are just awful.  I know for a lot of DT fans it's their pinnacle, but for me, it's cringe inducing.
Octavarium gets my vote. As I've learned, there are some parts of this song I do not like at all and that itself drags the song down by miles.
I agree with both of you, but it's not as horrendous as Never Enough so I'm not voting for it yet.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »
Octavarium.  I feel it's terribly overrated.  Musically, it's okay, but Mike Portnoy's "jack the ripper owens wilson" lyrics are just awful.  I know for a lot of DT fans it's their pinnacle, but for me, it's cringe inducing.
I agree with both of you, but it's not as horrendous as Never Enough so I'm not voting for it yet.

Just like what you said about Wreath and BTPISIO. You said you'd rather listen to a short sweet 1-2 instrumental than 6-7 mins of part you don't enjoy. ;)
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 06:32:29 PM »
Sacrificed Sons is a top 10 DT song  :facepalm:
I'm curious. Care to elaborate on that?

It's a combination of their best instrumental section (imo) and an amazing chorus. JLB shines on this song, especially in the verses.

As the other fella said, to each their own, but to me this has an extremely obnoxious opening minute, an uninspired instrumental section, and fatuous lyrics. There are some beautiful melodies in here, such as the piano melody after the radio nonsense stops, and also the chorus, but the stuff I've just mentioned ruins it for me. It's not a 'bad' song, just the least good on an album of superb tracks.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 07:46:45 PM »
I agree with the tacked on instrumental sections, in this era of the band (Train of Thought to Systematic Chaos) not only for Sacrificed Sons but for many other songs I feel the instrumental sections were made in LTE jam mode and then pasted into the song.

It's almost ironic how Endless Sacrifice on ToT gets derailed by a long section with a useless circus break, and Stream of Consciousness, which was an instrumental with no obligation whatsover to any kind of lyrics, has a main riff and stays "in mood" for the entire song.

I absolutely love when they do that kind of thing.. Listening to ES, SSons or TMoLS is even worth only for those moments where the song changes almost 100%.. Getting out of the comfort and orthodox zone of "staying in mood" is good once in a while..

[SSons] an uninspired instrumental section, and fatuous lyrics.

:lol

Sorry, but I actually laughed at this..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)