Author Topic: Politicization of Super Bowl Halftime Show  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Politicization of Super Bowl Halftime Show
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »
I don't know if I've ever heard her sing live before, and I have to say I was really impressed. She has an amazing and powerful voice.

Google "Lady gaga Howard Stern edge of glory".   Blows me away every time I hear it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »
Anyone care for the Ford commercial with the people getting "stuck"?    The little kid with the helmet and the bigwheel made me laugh.   "MOM!!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
Anyone care for the Ford commercial with the people getting "stuck"?    The little kid with the helmet and the bigwheel made me laugh.   "MOM!!"

Yes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
As for politicizing the performance, she did have some messages in her lyrics with the "This Land is Your Land" portion, and "Born This Way" is as blatant a pro-LGBT song as there is.

So...to put it another way, she advocated for a cause she supports, but did so respectfully and in a way that wasn't so over the top as to be distracting or abusing her position?  That's actually refreshing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2017, 02:11:28 PM »
As for politicizing the performance, she did have some messages in her lyrics with the "This Land is Your Land" portion, and "Born This Way" is as blatant a pro-LGBT song as there is.

So...to put it another way, she advocated for a cause she supports, but did so respectfully and in a way that wasn't so over the top as to be distracting or abusing her position?  That's actually refreshing.

She was really just doing a greatest hits medley right? Born This Way was a huge hit for her. And yes it appeals to the LGBT community. But I don't find it political per se.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »

Yep. I would have lost money because I would have bet anything it'd have been more over the top than what it was....she didn't go as blatant and ignorant as Beyonce and the police hating black panther crap from last year. She kept it respectful, entertaining and nailed it IMO....and she even sang/mentioned 'God' twice. I don't know how much more inclusive and broad reaching she could have gotten when trying to inspire and entertain an audience of 100 million people. Anyone who was 'offended' was going to be 'offended' no matter what she did.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »
....she didn't go as blatant and ignorant as Beyonce and the police hating black panther crap from last year. 

That was poor. Probably the worst SB halftime show I've ever seen.

Offline Tick

• Cleavage is a drug! Dracula is a junkie
  • DTF.org Member
  • We will, we will, Trump you, boom boom, clap!
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
People are loving Gaga today on both sides of the aisle for doing what she was there to do. She was entertaining and she is talented for sure. She was able to make a couple subtle points without having to make some grandiose speech. I hope other celebs take notice.

Hats off to Lady Gaga.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 03:21:01 PM »
So Lady Gaga did not actually jump from the roof.  The way they shot it live, looked like they messed up the editting when she jumped cause it didn't cut to her in the air at all.  I guess it makes sense now.  Not that it makes much of a difference to me.

Also, I thought the drones initially were just computer animation and not real.  I thought it was cheesy because I thought it wasn't real, turns out they were real and now I think it's cool  :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
Not a huge fan, but respect her talents and I thought the show was actually pretty damn good. I keep hearing people claim she lip synced. Nope. She had backing tracks, but she nailed it with a hot Mic all the way. She apparently rehearsed it all for months to do it live. It was very impressive.

I had no idea until I Google searched her afterwards, but she's a huge Zeppelin fan. She was in a Zeppelin cover band, and still covers them in concert all the time apparently.

The girl has some pipes.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2017, 07:01:01 AM »
Not a huge fan, but respect her talents and I thought the show was actually pretty damn good. I keep hearing people claim she lip synced. Nope. She had backing tracks, but she nailed it with a hot Mic all the way. She apparently rehearsed it all for months to do it live. It was very impressive.

I had no idea until I Google searched her afterwards, but she's a huge Zeppelin fan. She was in a Zeppelin cover band, and still covers them in concert all the time apparently.

The girl has some pipes.

She built to spec a mock stage in her backyard and rehearsed it hundreds of times.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:22 AM »

She was really just doing a greatest hits medley right? Born This Way was a huge hit for her. And yes it appeals to the LGBT community. But I don't find it political per se.

No, but "This Land is your Land" is like the queen mother of protest songs.  I'm fine with it, because it went over the heads of 98% of her audience, but that was BY FAR the most audacious part of her show.   And at least it was subtle, and reflects a little bit of thought put into it, instead of the usual celebrity grandstanding ("hey, let's write 'Ban Trump!' in sharpie on my nipples, and we'll tell everyone it was a spur of the moment thing inspired by the children in the audience!")

I loved The Lady Gaga before Sunday, and love her just a little bit more today, even though I have no doubt we don't see eye to eye on everything political. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »

She's been spotted wearing an Iron Maiden shirt before.  Also she had Baby Metal open for her on tour before.  She's got some good taste too.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »

She's been spotted wearing an Iron Maiden shirt before.  Also she had Baby Metal open for her on tour before.  She's got some good taste too.

Apparently, she is also performing with Metallica at the Grammys.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »

The girl has some pipes.

She built to spec a mock stage in her backyard and rehearsed it hundreds of times.

Hahaha, I have this mental picture of a 3-bedroom, 2-1/2 bath cape, with a Volkswagon Jetta in the driveway....  and a full-size replica of NRG Stadium in the back yard.  :)

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2017, 09:43:25 AM »

The girl has some pipes.

Hahaha, I have this mental picture of a 3-bedroom, 2-1/2 bath cape, with a Volkswagon Jetta in the driveway....  and a full-size replica of NRG Stadium in the back yard.  :)
...and random NFL and NBA stars coming and going to shoot insurance commercials.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
I just saw a clip of the Super Bowl parade in Boston; I want one of those "Roger That" t-shirts. 

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2017, 05:51:43 AM »
She did a great job on the half time show!  Very talented lady with a powerful voice. I would bet her live concerts are really good.  I wonder what she thinks of Dream Theater, or even heard of them being that she likes hard rock/metal.
 I smell a Lady Gaga/DT tour in the works!   JK!  :yarr
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
She did a great job with the halftime show.  Very talented performer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
She did a great job with the halftime show.  Very talented performer.

Agreed. Bought concert tickets to her upcoming tour for my wife. I'm not going since she didn't I'd enjoy it. She's probably right but I'd love see her do an acoustic tour. Personally I think all the theatrics are unnecessary since she is so talented.