Author Topic: Politicization of Super Bowl Halftime Show  (Read 949 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Politicization of Super Bowl Halftime Show
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »
I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan, and a huge Super Bowl fan.   But I have to say; I'm dreading this halftime like none other.  I just hope that the NFL puts the law down and keeps it neutral and bipartisan.   It's not even whether I agree or disagree with whatever she'll say, it's just that I don't feel like EVERY moment in front of a microphone is an excuse to unilaterally - and without opportunity to counter or debate - express one's personal political views.  It's just getting tiring, more polarizing, and just more corroboration that the media and Hollywood are sorely out of touch with America as a country. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: Politicization of Super Bowl Halftime Show
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
It can be bipartisan and still be critical of Trump.

But yeah, I hope for just music.  I'm excited to see what she does.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:14:08 PM »
I'm excited to see what she does.

Said no one ever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:17:50 PM »
I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan, and a huge Super Bowl fan.   But I have to say; I'm dreading this halftime like none other.  I just hope that the NFL puts the law down and keeps it neutral and bipartisan.   It's not even whether I agree or disagree with whatever she'll say, it's just that I don't feel like EVERY moment in front of a microphone is an excuse to unilaterally - and without opportunity to counter or debate - express one's personal political views.  It's just getting tiring, more polarizing, and just more corroboration that the media and Hollywood are sorely out of touch with America as a country.
While I'd just as soon see politics left out of it same as you, fair is fair. The whole thing is a giant, sloppy blowjob for America, after all. Just like it has been for the last 15 years. Endless felating of the men and women defending our freedoms. Clint Eastwood telling us to buy cars from Detroit. A dozen commercials describing how great it is to join the army. Some of us find that every bit as annoying. I guarantee you'll hear more political speech from Joe Buck than you will from her. The difference will simply be a matter of subtlety.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »
I'm excited to see what she does.

Said no one ever.
I just said it.

A part of me was expecting your name on here to be changed to either no one or no one ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
People actually watch the Super Bowl halftime show?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
I don't think you'd be going out on a limb to say that there will be at least one dig or insult towards Trump....although it'll be some 'vague' reference in which everyone watching will know it's aimed at Trump.....there will be some sort of tribute to the LGBT community and given recent events most likely a shout out to illegal immigration and the horrible 'ban'.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 03:43:58 PM »
...followed by Trump tweeting about it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »
She's gonna build a wall.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 03:47:08 PM »
I don't think you'd be going out on a limb to say that there will be at least one dig or insult towards Trump....although it'll be some 'vague' reference in which everyone watching will know it's aimed at Trump.....there will be some sort of tribute to the LGBT community and given recent events most likely a shout out to illegal immigration and the horrible 'ban'.

How about this....since I have almost no idea what is happening at the halftime show, is Lady Gaga going first? Anyway so...

Lights come on to the stage and it's just a huge brick wall. You hear booms and it starts shaking. The intro to Government Hooker is played very quietly, as if muffled by a huge wall. More booms and shaking. Then, right as the first beat comes in the wall comes crashing down.

Why am I not planning this for the NFL?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
I'd say sit this one out Stadler if you can't take it.  It's called self-care, you know, so you don't get triggered.  :biggrin:
'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 03:49:38 PM »
...followed by Trump tweeting about it.

:lol
Nailed it!

I'm with the OP. If Gaga lifts her shirt only to have Trump Sucks written on her belly, I wouldn't be surprised.

And fuck the halftime show anyway. It's literally the worst fucking half hour in the history of television.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »
I like Lady Gaga as a musical artist. I don't like her acting and on-screen roles. I could care less about football and won't be watching the super bowl. Hasn't she performed the half time show recently? If so, that alone makes me wish she wasn't performing. When's DT getting their turn?

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
When's DT getting their turn?

Honestly, with his ego? He might demand the job as early as next year.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »
^ I lul'd

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
She could perform on a flag painted stage.  She gives a terrific, yet 'vanilla' performance.  But a certain segment of the media would chastise her, because their view was from the opposite side of the press box.   'Flag upside down for Lady GaGa performance!'  Or, 'Lady GaGa stomps on American flag!'.  The story is now out there.  Many who didn't watch would believe it.  That's a part of our culture now as well.  (sigh)

I am not a fan of hers (my wife is), but I admire that singing voice.  Enjoy her performance.  Maybe she'll get Tony Bennett up there for five minutes .......

Of halftime shows, I remember U2 with the names of the 9/11 victims super imposed on the banners, McCartney, and Springsteen. I remember because I watched.  The other years (I had to google to see that Beyoncé did the Ravens-49ers), I have no clue.  I'm out in the kitchen or the yard with the dog (gone are the days of hosting 10-20 people), and waiting the ridiculous 30 minutes for the game to restart. 

If she 'does' something, there's always the Daytona 500 prerace in a few weeks.....

[wish I wouldn't have read this thread.....Joe Buck again?]

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
Fucking Joe buck? :zeltar:

As to the thread..I'm still hella bitter they didn't have Metallica do the SF SB halftime show. Shit, I'm still bitter Harbaugh got canned. Fuck the NFL.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 11:52:05 PM »
^
I got the best of both worlds.  Little brother John won the 'Bro Bowl', and Jim made the Maize and Blue relevant again.

LMAO at the 'Joe Buck' wall.  Nantz makes me think The Masters is on, and is so afraid of pulling his tongue out of Goodell's arse for any length of time.

I miss:  either Curt Gowdy, Dick Enberg, Al Michaels or Pat Summerall doing 'lead vocals'.  Restrained gentlemen, who knew how to announce a game, let alone 'THE' game.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »
Haha Right off the bat they do it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
What exactly did she do?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
I didn't notice anything. Did I miss something?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 06:43:16 PM »
Great halftime show.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 09:04:16 PM »
I thought it was good. As Barto was alluding to, it was everything else, the pre-game especially, that was politicized. Not the halftime show.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 12:15:49 AM »
I didn't mind it either. Enjoyed Her solo with her piano.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »
I don't get the hate for Joe Buck.  He's a weird guy, but he's at least honest about his foibles and flaws.  I dig him.

I have a mad crush on The Lady Gaga.  Love her.   Not all of her songs resonate with me, but I could listen to her at a piano all day long.  If she ever does a tour like Tori Amos used to do (her and a piano) sign me the fuck up.   And with the long blond hair, I think she's pretty good looking, too.

At one point she was standing on the bench playing the piano, and my daughter said "how does she play and sing all twisted up like that?" and I said "Hell, I can't even LISTEN to her play and sing all twisted up like that!".  Shut up, it was funny at the time.  :)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:50 AM »
I like Joe Buck too actually. I think he's improved a lot over the years.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »
Skipped the halftime show as I usually do.  Don't feel like I missed a thing.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
The drone thing was actually pretty cool. That said, it's when I jumped in the shower after a bunch of cooking. I've gone my entire life without ever hearing a Lady Gaga song and I'd be happy to keep it that way.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 08:48:23 AM »
I don't know if I've ever heard her sing live before, and I have to say I was really impressed. She has an amazing and powerful voice.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
I don't know if I've ever heard her sing live before, and I have to say I was really impressed. She has an amazing and powerful voice.

And she can compose her own music (well) and write her own lyrics. She's got talent on many levels, not just in the pipes. Too much of that is missing in today's music industry.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
Yeah, I knew she was a talented song writer and performer. I just never really heard her voice outside of a recording. I have so much respect for her.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »

I feel the same and I watched it  :lol

Solid show, nothing really crazy IMO to make it memorable, but nothing bad either. 

Also, the commercials were way more politicized than the broadcast.

Yeah, I knew she was a talented song writer and performer. I just never really heard her voice outside of a recording. I have so much respect for her.

Well did she actually sing last night? I thought it sounded like it could be legit but only at certain parts, but the Superbowl is known for only lip syncing due to how big the event is and being live without much rehearsals. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
Well did she actually sing last night? I thought it sounded like it could be legit but only at certain parts, but the Superbowl is known for only lip syncing due to how big the event is and being live without much rehearsals.

She sang last night for sure. I read an interview with Springsteen after he performed, and he said that he was really singing, but the band was prerecorded. There'd be no way to wire up all the instruments and have them mixed to sounds well in just 5 minutes of prep time.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
Yeah, there were backing tracks, but she was definitely singing throughout.

As for politicizing the performance, she did have some messages in her lyrics with the "This Land is Your Land" portion, and "Born This Way" is as blatant a pro-LGBT song as there is.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:27:52 AM by pogoowner »