Author Topic: If you can visit any place in the world....where would it be?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
If you can visit any place in the world....where would it be?
« on: January 31, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
I would love to travel. I have been saving up money and prioritized my job over my grades just to earn some more money and to use it for traveling. I had a goal when I was young and it was to visit all the capital cities of states in the U.S, then I also wanted to hike up Mount Everest and my most recent goal was to visit an underwater cave. The thing is....I love water very much because I find it to be peaceful.

If you could visit anywhere in the world....where would you want to go? My main goals of going somewhere would be serenity. I want to be in a place where I can relax and let go of everything.

Where would you guys choose to go?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: If you can visit any place in the world....where would it be?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:08 PM »
I would love to visit/hike/stay a few days or a week at each of America's National Parks. I've been to six of them so far, but they have been very short visits due to time constraints.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »
Arizona

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »
I would love to visit/hike/stay a few days or a week at each of America's National Parks. I've been to six of them so far, but they have been very short visits due to time constraints.

We did Yellowstone/Grand Teton last summer...

Arizona

..and the Grand Canyon the year before.

My wife and I went to Phoenix/Scottsdale and Sedona in 1998. Even caught an Iron Maiden show while we were there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
Iran.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
I heard it's very sunni there. It's wonderful if you can avoid the shiite tourist season.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »
I heard it's very sunni there. It's wonderful if you can avoid the shiite tourist season.

Allahu Akbar har har.

shut up, I'm sick.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »
Iceland...going this year.

Antarctica
The Sahara
Serengeti...again
Siberia
Patagonia
Fregate Island
Pisco Elqui
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »

Allahu Akbar har har.

shut up, I'm sick.

You don't get enough...sunni weather.

Offline Adami

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »
Eh, you already basically made that pun.

Robert Carlyle is disappointed.

Anyway, not counting Iran (since I'm not allowed in), I'd have to say......either a return to southern Ireland, or a first trip to Czech Republic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
You should definitely czech out Prague.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 02:28:14 AM »
I do not know where you are travelling from, but

try Mackinac Island

Depending on your preference, you might want to visit before or after the peak tourist season. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island

My ashes will be spread on the SW shores when the time comes.  No automobiles, loud music, boom boxes......

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
Does the ISS count?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:23 AM »
Nationally I would love to spend two weeks in California. I want to see San Diego, Los Angeles, and the Bay Area. Internationally, I have to go to Italy some day. I'm a very proud Italian-American and would love to spend some time in the place that my ancestors called home.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
I'd really like to visit Iceland, I've seen so many beautiful landscapes there

Patagonia

If you ever plan a trip down here let me know, I can give you some good recommendations.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »
Prague
Vienna
Berlin (again)
Tokyo
London
England (on a Beatles tour)
Galway (again; I want to live there)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
New Zealand (and I will some day).

My favorite area in the U.S. is the Pacific Northwest, however. Try to spend at least one weekend (or week) up there annually.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
The United Kingdom.

Also, New Zealand.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »
I'd love to go to Tokyo and Sydney. We'll get there.

We are in the process of planning The TAC Family Summer Vacation. We are staying in the US. We'll take the kids anywhere, but they have no idea where they want to go. One contender is Missouri. I was born in Kansas City and I've always wanted to go. Plus the St Louis Arch and to Branson. My oldest is wicked into the Titanic.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
Arizona

Come on down! You're the next contestant on "visit the dry, hot, desert"!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »
Belgium for a beer tour.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
Of the places I haven't been, Hawaii, specifically to check out all of the non-beach stuff. I'm a landlubber and the sun is not my friend, but waterfalls, volcanoes, observatories and scenic drives are among my favorite things.

Florida will be among my next concert destinations. I'm a NASA history buff and want to spend a day or two checking out KSC. I just have to coordinate it around a rocket launch (and with God's help subsequent explosion). There's plenty of other things I'd like to do there, as well.  Lots of interesting driving.

In the return visit category I'd like to spend a couple of weeks in the Italy/Switzerland border region. The train ride through the Burnina Pass is simply magnificent. And outside of smog days Lake Como is fairly pleasant, to boot. I'd also like to spend a week or two driving a rented BMW around Germany. I didn't get to explore the Black Forest when I was there, and by car seems the optimal way to do it.

Cuba used to be on the list, but they've made it far less fun by making it an actual tourist destination.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »
Tokyo, it's like travelling into the future.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
Arizona

My wife and I went to Phoenix/Scottsdale and Sedona in 1998. Even caught an Iron Maiden show while we were there.

Last summer I did Vegas -> Grand Canyon -> Sedona -> Phoenix -> back to Vegas road trip.  Probably my favorite trip in my entire life.  I wasn't a fan of Phoenix though, too hot and boring for me. However, I would totally go back to the Grand Canyon or Sedona.  That's such amazing landscape, and the drive around Arizona overall is very scenic.

Where do I want to go?  I want to road trip throughout Europe, and to make it more specific, through Italy and if we want to get more specific, I would love to visit Rome, and to get more specific, the Coliseum is something I really want to see.

I am trying to plan a road trip through the north west US this summer.  Seattle -> Portland -> San Fran with stops along the way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
Arizona

Last summer I did Vegas -> Grand Canyon -> Sedona -> Phoenix -> back to Vegas road trip.  Probably my favorite trip in my entire life.  I wasn't a fan of Phoenix though, too hot and boring for me. However, I would totally go back to the Grand Canyon or Sedona.  That's such amazing landscape, and the drive around Arizona overall is very scenic.

Where do I want to go?  I want to road trip throughout Europe, and to make it more specific, through Italy and if we want to get more specific, I would love to visit Rome, and to get more specific, the Coliseum is something I really want to see.

I am trying to plan a road trip through the north west US this summer.  Seattle -> Portland -> San Fran with stops along the way.

Two summers ago, our trip was Vegas-Grand Canyon-LA and Disneyland-back to Vegas.

We were also considering going to Rome this summer as my son wants to see the Coliseum. But I'm pretty sure we are not going international. In fact we will be sitting down with a big map of the US with my kids fairly soon. We've discussed Seattle.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »
Scotland. I want to do a distillery tour.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 12:42:02 PM »
Top of my Bucket list these days would be to dive Raja Ampat in Indonesia.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »
I like to go to Tokyo, Japan, one day.  Check out some nice local eatery.  Hopefully, check out a major New Japan Pro Wrestling show that they have in either the Tokyo Dome on January 4th or in Sumo Hall for their big G1 Climax tournament shows.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »
Absolutely nowhere there's any danger of being abducted and tortured and decapitated.

" Do you want to go to Khazakstan this year ? :) "

" NOOOOOOOO " 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »
I like to go to Tokyo, Japan, one day.  Check out some nice local eatery.  Hopefully, check out a major New Japan Pro Wrestling show that they have in either the Tokyo Dome on January 4th or in Sumo Hall for their big G1 Climax tournament shows.

I'd like to do Tokyo too.  I hear it's the closest city to being like NYC and I think that would be cool to experience.  Also I understand the food is amazing.  My company built a small data center (as in like 2 racks of equipment) in Tokyo last year and my boss was the one who went out to build it.  There is a lot of talk about growing Tokyo into a full blown legit data center.  Which could mean a company paid trip to Tokyo for a couple weeks for me, but we will see.  I feel like my coworker will get that before I do, which sucks because I want that experience.

Arizona

Two summers ago, our trip was Vegas-Grand Canyon-LA and Disneyland-back to Vegas.

We were also considering going to Rome this summer as my son wants to see the Coliseum. But I'm pretty sure we are not going international. In fact we will be sitting down with a big map of the US with my kids fairly soon. We've discussed Seattle.

Yea other than maybe the Caribbean, I think internation personal travel isn't happening this year for me either.  Too expensive for me this year I think. 

I do have my first personal road trip this year to Boston for a concert this weekend that I am really looking forward to.  I love Boston.  Great city IMO.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Norway. Norway above everything else.

Then, not necessarily in order:
- The rest of Scandinavia
- All that I'm still missing from Germany, another nation I love
- Provence in France
- Sicily (I'm italian, never been to Sicily however)
- Chefchaouen in Morocco. Google it, you'll understand why.
- Transylvania. Not for the Dracula stuff, it's actually pretty.
- Lisbon
- Ireland
- Australia
- Canada coast to coast by train

The list above includes only places I haven't been yet.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
Japan (again)
Shanghai
Singapore
Boston/NYC/Megacity One
South Korea/Seoul
Prague
Somewhere in Canada
New Zealand
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
I've always wanted to go to Rome and Jerusalem. I'm not particularly religious, but I've always been fascinated by religious history, so I'd like to experience those places.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 06:24:08 PM »
Arizona

We loved our time there!

Aside from a lovely meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pot Pie, we absolutely loved Phoenix, the Grand Canyon, and Sedona. And that was all in July heat.

Of the places I haven't been, Hawaii, specifically to check out all of the non-beach stuff. I'm a landlubber and the sun is not my friend, but waterfalls, volcanoes, observatories and scenic drives are among my favorite things.

And may I suggest if you go to Hawaii, cut away from the tourists and go to the big island. Has all that amazing stuff and the beaches are amazing. Did some stunning kayaking while I was there.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
Arizona

The only thing drier is the local sarcasm.  ;)