Author Topic: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #1. A majestic ending  (Read 7695 times)

Offline erwinrafael

erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #1. A majestic ending
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
I enjoyed reading Kev's list so much that I was inspired to come up with my own. I hope this is also a way for me to make more friends in this forum because I still feel like a newbie here.  :lol

In my list, I did not take into account songwriting in general because I really see composition and performance as different skill sets. I did assume, though, that these musicians generally came up with the parts they played and were not just good at playing a score that they would play note by note.

Anyway, let's get it on. At #25...

25. Alan White

I came in to the music of Yes from Dream Theater, so I tend to gravitate towards their later heavier stuff. Alan White is the big reason why. He combines power and dexterity flawlessly, and he comes up with a lot of drum patterns that are fun to play along to. I have always felt that he is very much the most underappreciated Yes member, because even with 40+ years in Yes, he still pretty much is seen as "the replacement drummer" of his predecessor who just had a four-year tenure with the band.  Oh well, he IS the Yes drummer for me.

Favorite performance:

White was amazing in the whole Relayer album. And pretty much all of Talk (that fast part in Endless Dream always gets to me). If I have to narrow down to individual songs, I would go with

Instant Karma - It's only in recent years that I learned that Alan White is the one behind the kit in this song, doing those crazy fills that confounded the young me.  :lol It's his first studio drum work. What a debut.

The Calling - Once the drums come in, Alan pretty much owns the song. Try drumming along and you would just feel...happy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:00:27 AM by erwinrafael »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #25 is a drummer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 04:18:15 AM »
He also played drums on a couple of George Harrison albums, most notably 'All Things Must Pass' (which, we now know, some young punk by the name of Phil Collins played congos on).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline erwinrafael

Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #25 is a drummer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
He also played drums on a couple of George Harrison albums, most notably 'All Things Must Pass' (which, we now know, some young punk by the name of Phil Collins played congos on).

Yep. John Lennon pretty much took the young Alan White under his wing, which led to Alan's collaborations with George Harrison.

Anyway, I see that this thread generated a lot of interest.  :rollin Oh well, onto number 24 with another rather unknown musician.

24. Philip Bynoe

Philip Bynoe is the bassist of Steve Vai's favorite band, which included Mike Mangini on drums and Mike Keneally on guitars and keyboard. I first heard him in the song "Answers" on the G3 album and since then I've always loved hearing how tight he keeps the rhythm in Vai's songs up to the amazing Alive in an Ultra World album. Based on that initial stint with Vai, he would not have made my list. But his return to Steve Vai's band in the album The Story of Light was phenomenal. With more than a decade of additional experience under his belt, Bynoe's bass playing jumped to top tier levels. He now confidently goes head to head with Vai while still keeping that tight rhythm.

Favorite performance:

The Story of Light - this song was Bynoe announcing he's back in the limelight, much better than ever. His exchange with Vai in this song is like listening to a duet between equals. Amazing stuff which also previewed the excellent bass playing in the whole album.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:54:12 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #24 is a bassist
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »
Erwin, if you don't mind, how old are you and where are you from?

Alan White is an old school pick for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
I am 37 and I am from the Philippines. My musical "awakening" was in the early 1990s as a teenager when rock and metal bands suddenly got a lot of airplay on mainstream radio. It coincided with The Beatles suddenly becoming popular again and then the biggest wave of Filipino rock bands breaking into the mainstream. It's a weird mix really, because we had Bon Jovi, Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard and White Lion getting regular rotation at the same time from Monday to Saturday while Sunday radio is filled with The Beatles, Chicago, Scorpions and Air Supply.  :lol
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:14:13 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
Cool. Thanks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
And now for somebody more familiar to many

23. Mike Portnoy

I remember the first time I heard Mike Portnoy. 1996. My drummer friend excitedly told me that I should listen to this new drummer he discovered. He made me listen to Metropolis Part 1 and in my mind, I was going "Wow, somebody drumming like a lead instrument." I have not heard anything like it. Then I got to listen to Awake, which to me is a perfect album in terms of drumming. What I love about Mike during that time is how he came up with creative drum patterns to mark different sections in a song. His composition skills were amazing.

Somewhere along the way, he fell in love with drum fills rather than drum patterns, which made his more recent drumming work less appealing to me. But that run from Images and Words to Six Degrees (especially from Awake to Scenes from a Memory) is drumming at its finest and I would never tire listening to Portnoy in those records.

Favorite performance (no links as you know the song)

The Mirror - Portnoy really drives this song, doing distinct patterns to mark section changes under a simple chugging heavy riff. No over-the-top drum fills. Just creative drum composition at its finest.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:00:05 PM by erwinrafael »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #23 is a drummer we all love
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:18:02 PM »
I make no bones and no apologies.  I love Mike.  I love his drumming (that fill at 11:00 or so in "My New World" is probably my favorite fill of all time) and he is one of three or so drummers (Peart and Collins are two others) that I can just sit and watch play.  I don't really like The Winery Dogs much, but I went to see them just to watch Mike play.  I love his  being a fanboy. I'm a fanboy, and I feel like Mike, more than most musicians, understands that and respects that.  I even give him a break on his passion; I wouldn't respond like he does more often than not, but I get it, and it's not like he's totally unreasonable. 

Big fan. 

Offline erwinrafael

Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #22 is an all-time great voice
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:38:17 AM »
A golden voice this time.

22. Steve Perry

There's a big burden in being labeled as "The Voice" but Steve Perry has no problem living up to his moniker. Perry has a unique combination of just enough roughness to fit as a vocalist for a rock band, sensitivity to bring out tenderness and emotion like a Motown singer, and range to represent the era of vocalists that he came from. Steve Perry is such a karaoke staple here in the Philippines that we even produced a Perry clone who is now the frontman of Journey.  :lol

Favorite performance:

Sweet and Simple - This is Perry at the top of his game. When he hit the badass falsetto climax of the song, he could just drop the mic and walk away and we would all still be clapping.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:04:18 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #22 is a great vocalist
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »
I have said this many times, but DT is my favorite band for many reasons, but Reason #1 was watching MP perform.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »
Following... :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »

I was going to say that at least I've heard of everyone so far, but he lost me two picks in at #24! :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »

I was going to say that at least I've heard of everyone so far, but he lost me two picks in at #24! :lol

That's why I gave a link to the song so you can discover Philip's bass playing. ;)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
Will you look at that, another drummer.

21. Matt Cameron

Effortless. That's how I would describe Matt Cameron's drumming. I learned the most how to play to non-4/4 time signatures by following Soundgarden songs because Matt's drumming is so smooth that everything feels like 4/4. The best drummer that came from the Seattle scene of the early 1990s.

Favorite performance:

Fell on Black Days - I just love drumming to this song. It's in 6/4, so the basic rhythm is not that much different from an ordinary 4/4 song, but Cameron's fills is what makes this song fun to play along to.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:07:53 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #21 is a grunge artist
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
I never got into Soundgarden, mainly because I couldn't stand Chris Cornell's voice. I did see them a couple of times opening for GnR in 1991.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
Matt Cameron really is an incredible drummer. Like you said, his playing is really smooth and effortless, and the way it flows with the music is just perfect. I think soundgarden bring out the best in him though, any time I watch live videos of Pearl Jam with him, his drumming just doesn't do it for me, his drumming style just doesn't gel as well with them as it does with Soundgarden.

But yeah, just an all around great drummer, really fun to listen to and air drum along to.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
There's no pictures... I like pictures.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 10:15:27 PM »
I have read….. so patiently……so keep posting, erwinrafael, we’ll respond (we just need time at times)

Portnoy:  We go to see Queensryche in ‘03, and when we arrive, they’re almost done.  WTW?  After the set change, some band by the name of Dream Theater takes the stage.  Another WTW?  Never heard of them.  I certainly remembered them afterwards, and the ‘front man’ drummer.   Purchased ‘Six Degrees’ a week later.  In spite of parts of Disc One, I became a fan.  Disc Two just blew me away.  Also, I’ve always been a ‘wannabe drummer’, going back to when my old man chose not to give me a message from a grade school band director that I was to be a drummer.  So, instead of drums, I got the tuba.

[I sh*t you not]

What joy MP displayed!  What I could write has already been written.  How he would fire up the crowd.  Walk in front of his drum kit and hit little cymbals before 'Trial of Tears'.  What a great and odd beginning for a band's encore.  The hidden fills such as Peart and Moon and Bonham (and less recognized Neal Smith of Alice Cooper, and Roger Taylor of the 70s Queen).  And....'SORRY'...but, I love 'Never Enough' (I direct the lyrics towards supervision at work or blowhards in organizations).   His play during the instrumental makes it frickin' difficult for me to drive my car when it's on.  And he was such a nice guy!  The backstage vids prove that point.  I bought the ‘Score’ drumkit vid, just to watch him.  If I’d only had ¼ the talent, and an 1/8th of the fun…………….

Now, to make you jealous:
Steve Perry:  I saw his first three tours with Journey.  He/they never disappointed.  Hell, they were frickin’ great!  He overdid it at times on stage, trying too hard to get the audience into it way more than necessary (drugs, maybe?)  There is a moment that always stands out.  It was during the ‘Infinity’ tour.  ‘Winds of March/Something To Hide’ stayed in the setlist for years, but it became a bit rushed.  Here’s the studio link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDdLg4o1HaE

[For those not so ‘patient’….for the knockout part, start at 1:49…..at 2:18 he builds up, and….that night in Lansing, from 2:28 to 2:42……he belted it out without taking a breath.  We’re all looking at each other spellbound.  I mean, how in the F*CK !?!?!?]

(saw Journey with Steve Augeri in Grand Rapids…..had the voice, the temperament, but didn’t have ‘IT’).

The band lost me on the 'Frontiers' album. It did have more than a few great songs, but the saccharine became too much.

I also saw Steve 2x on his solo tour with my exwife (at a sold out Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, and at the Fox Theater in Detroit).  I’ll never forget his lead guitarist, and women from Hope College handing them ‘Hope College’ sweatshirts. 
‘For The Love Of Strange Medicine’ was not the greatest album by any means, but check out ‘You Better Wait’, ‘Stand Up (Before It’s Too Late)’, ‘Listen To Your Heart’, and ‘Somewhere There’s Hope

And then, let’s not forget ‘Wheel In The Sky’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpdz1xQxjQQ
I wish I could find a harder edged version, but…..this captures the man quite well (except of course…they cut the ending and crowd noise)

Or, you get a nice ‘Midnight Special’ performance of four songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlADPUtoiKw

He did have a cross over ‘sexuality’ such as Freddie Mercury and Gary Richrath, that us Midwest guys didn’t seem to mind for some reason.

Oh, and he had Neal Schon (Santana knew a good 17 year old guitarist when he heard one (‘Everybody’s Everything’) and Gregg Rollie (another Santana alum).  There was a fair drummer in Ansley Dunbar (Zappa, Bowie, Lou Reed, Herbie Mann, Nils Lofgren, Hagar, Whitesnake, Starship…oh, screw it, just google him).  And Ross Vallory wasn’t the complete idiot as on TMS.

I still remember playing ‘Escape’ with a half a dozen friends upon its release.  We really weren’t sure what to think.  It was a softer band.  At times, it was harder.  The production and ‘sound’ was so much different from ‘Departure’, but better.  Then we played it again.  It still seemed too melodic and soft at times.  Yup, ‘it wasn’t that good’.  A couple of months later….it was played at every party, Side One early, Side Two near the end. 

Admit it, the voice, the music, …….it is kind of the Bee Gees ‘Saturday Night Fever’ in the rock world.  We have that ‘best of Journey’ we played at work or with our buddies.  And then…..we have that expanded ‘BEST of Journey’…..with ‘Open Arms’, ‘Winds of March/Something To Hide’, ‘Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’ (live), ‘Faithfully’, ‘Mother, Father’, ‘Still They Ride’, ‘Who’s Crying Now’, ‘Send Her My Love’, and most certainly ‘Only The Young’

My dear departed golfing buddy…though oddly tattooed, bald headed, and a biker mentality and looks…..SANG ‘Open Arms’ at his wedding reception twenty years ago (down an octave or two, of course, but he nailed itl). 

Thanks to this post, I listened to side one of ‘Escape’ at work, and side two at home.  Damn, what a great album!!!!   Open arms, indeed.
[and thanks for reading]
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 10:42:42 PM »
So what do you think of the Steve Perry-soundalike that we produced?  :lol

I am always jealous of you guys sharing stories of seeing your favorite musicians. All the artists I like always skip the Philippines even though their world tours have stops in Southeast Asia.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 11:40:54 PM »
^
Briefly, before it takes me weeks to respond

I bought 'Revelations' at the time and liked it.  The kid has GREAT pipes.  The album was sound.  But....the band is older, less hungry, etc etc.  As am I.  ;)

I would have much preferred something like this to have followed 'Frontiers' (if that helps). 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 09:25:41 AM »
Matt Cameron really is an incredible drummer. Like you said, his playing is really smooth and effortless, and the way it flows with the music is just perfect. I think soundgarden bring out the best in him though, any time I watch live videos of Pearl Jam with him, his drumming just doesn't do it for me, his drumming style just doesn't gel as well with them as it does with Soundgarden.

But yeah, just an all around great drummer, really fun to listen to and air drum along to.

Soundgarden indeed brings out the best in Matt. Maybe because his style fits with the heavier music of Soundgarden.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
Now for some heavy riffs

20. James Hetfield

I would most likely not have ventured into the world of metal if not for Metallica. I was not really impressed by the first set of Metallica songs I heard on the radio, which were from the Black album. But when I heard the older songs, I went wow, so this is what metal is about. And the biggest reason is hearing those amazing riffs. Which brings me to James Hetfield. Possibly the best rhythm guitar player I have heard, he makes his lead guitar player unnecessary.  :lol

Favorite performance:

Master of Puppets - What else could it be? The best metal riffs I have heard. Whenever I need a good boost of energy, I just play it on "my music player" and the intro alone already gets me going.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #20 is a riff machine
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »
You should have seen Matt on the Temple of the Dog tour.  I love Zeppelin, and my big beef with bands covering Zeppelin is that it is SO hard to get that fluidity of tempo that Page and Bonham locked into so completely.   And yet when Temple... played "Achilles Last Stand", they NAILED it, and in large part it was due to Matt being able to let the song breathe. 

Offline erwinrafael

Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #20 is a riff machine
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
You should have seen Matt on the Temple of the Dog tour.  I love Zeppelin, and my big beef with bands covering Zeppelin is that it is SO hard to get that fluidity of tempo that Page and Bonham locked into so completely.   And yet when Temple... played "Achilles Last Stand", they NAILED it, and in large part it was due to Matt being able to let the song breathe.

The funny thing is social media commenters on his Pearl Jam performances usually criticize him for not allowing Pearl Jam songs to breathe.

Moving on to another drummer in #19

19. Paul Geary

No doubt he has the least impressive chops among the drummers in my list, but Paul Geary's minimalist drumming is a joy to listen to because his drum parts are so well-composed. When and how to kick the bass, when to shift to the ride, when to syncopate, when to open the hi-hats, etc. they are all so well-timed that when you try more complex drumming patterns to Extreme songs, it just does not sound better. (The only exception is Mangini who introduces complexity over Geary's drumming more on tones and textures rather than changing patterns) Paul's minimalist approach did not work well when Extreme shifted to a different style in the Waiting for the Punchline album, but back when the band is still doing their signature funky sound, I can not imagine any drummer who could bring the funk any better. I also love Paul because His drum parts are also very good pieces to use to learn how to drum.  :lol

Favorite performance:

Cupid's Dead - Paul Geary's gift to mankind.  :lol Paul's drum machine-like precision drumming here is so effective and catchy. Drum it without matching the precision just doesn't work (sorry Kevin Figueiredo) If you can drum this perfectly, then you are ready to drum for public performances. :lol
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:11:21 PM by erwinrafael »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #19 is a drum machine
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
Great call with Geary.  Way underrated in my view.   All of Extreme (well, except Nuno, maybe) for that matter.   I got to see them on the Three Sides tour, and it was awesome.

As for Matt, well, I can see the "breathe" comment, but that doesn't apply to "Achilles..." which while fluid is not a "breathy" song.   Though I will say that he did well on the Mother Love Bone material, which is closer to Pearl Jam, but if you ask me, Cameron is a better fit for that band, because at their roots they are a metal band from 1974. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »
Checked the Extreme track. That has a great drum sound. pretty sure I remember that tune.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
Now for some Toto love.

18. Steve Lukather

Steve Lukather's music is the epitome of tasteful guitar playing. Seamlessly going to the background then to the forefront when needed, Lukather's melodic guitar always fits what is called for in a song. Steve has a knack for seeing the guitar's place in a song. As he said in an interview, "I don't just listen to the guitar...It's all about the compositions. A great solo does not make a great piece. Rather, a great solo in a great song, that's what makes a 10 out of 10. It's the combination of emotional feel and inventive ideas. These days, uber-fast chops are as impressive as a Twinkie to a top chef."

Favorite performance:

White Sister - I am almost tempted to put "I'll Be Over You," but it could be more of my love for the song than the guitar performance.  :lol Anyway,, White Sister has one of Steve's best guitar solos that displays his chops. And he always reserves the best for the outro.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #18 shows some Toto love
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »
Sorry I haven't posted erwin ..........been following though.   So far a great list - I'm on board with everyone except 21,24 & 25 , which is more to do with a lack of familiarity with their material.

Luke is a very tasteful player and I'll Be Over You would be fine - the outro solo is lovely.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »
Luke is a very tasteful player and I'll Be Over You would be fine - the outro solo is lovely.

I would have really gone with it if the studio version's outro does not fade out immediately. The live versions with the extended outro are always amazing.

Another favorite of mine is The Road Goes On. Has some nice acoustic guitar work also.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »

I would have really gone with it if the studio version's outro does not fade out immediately. The live versions with the extended outro are always amazing.

Another favorite of mine is The Road Goes On. Has some nice acoustic guitar work also.

Yeah - I always think of the live clip when talking about I'll Be Over You.    The song also features one of my favourite voices in Michael McDonald.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
Can you imagine what would have happened if they actually went with Michael Mcdonald as lead vocalist after Isolation? (Well, I still love Jo Williams, as my favorite Toto album is The Seventh One, so maybe it's good they did not go the Michael Mcdonald route  :lol ).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 12:58:46 AM »
Yeah - he wouldn't have worked I don't think , especially live where he really wouldn't have had much hope of doing the Kimball songs justice.  Too different.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:18:06 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 05:18:01 AM »
Alright, when we're talking Toto I'm in  ;D

Steve Lukather is my favorite guitar player, there's just no one that can play so tasteful and melodic and yet have so much variety. And he just has a killer vibrato.

The outro jam solo to Rosanna (studio version) might be one of my favorite guitar solos of all time, shame it's faded out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 05:20:28 AM »
One of my favourite guitar moments growing up was actually Luke's extended solo in the full version of Lionel Ritchie's Running With The Night  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 05:35:40 AM »
There was a time when I was so obsessed with his guitar playing, I sometimes listened to just the solos on specific Toto records again and again, never the whole song, just the solos.  :metal

And I tried to learn a lot of Steve's solos on guitar but I never had the technical abilities to pull it off. I could play the slow stuff but I couldn't make it sound good. Guess I just wasn't that talented as I hoped I would be.  :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D