Author Topic: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #1. A majestic ending  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Yeah, Alive In An Ultra World is almost all new material also but I still would like it, if he puts out records more regularly.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline erwinrafael

Let's finish this.

1. Brian May

My ultimate musical inspiration. Brian May has taught me many things. He taught me that music is about tapping into human emotions, whether it be a sense of fun, melancholy, dread or grandeur. He taught me that technique is important but ultimately it should serve the end of moving the listener. He taught me that one could be adventurous and delve into so many styles, but still manage to maintain a voice that is distinctly yours. He taught me that the best music pushes boundaries and that the capabilities of your musical instrument are limited only by your imagination. He taught me that one could be individually excellent without overshadowing one's equally brilliant partners in making music.

He is the standard by which the others in this list are measured.

My ultimate 1-CD Brian May playlist.

1. We Will Rock You - Yes, it's very poppish, but that guitar solo slays bigtime.
2. Brighton Rock - This song changed my view of how a guitar delay may be used to create harmonies. Brilliant.
3. Killer Queen - Nice tune which demonstrates Brian's credo that composing guitar leads should be like composing a vocal melody.
4. Let Me Entertain You - Brian's riffs interplaying with Freddie's vocals is amazing.
5. Good Company - Who else would have thought of using multi-tracked guitars to simulate a Dixieland jazz band? Guitar that sounds like a clarinet? Like a trombone? Crazy.
6.  Last Horizon - On its own, this is already a very beautiful instrumental guitar piece. But during the Queen + Paul Rodgers tour around 2008, it became a freaking guitar god piece.
7. Too Much Love Will Kill You - Brian's emotional vocals are heavy in the heart, and his guitar matched the painful emotion.
8. I Want It All - This song reminds me that Brian is a great heavy metal guitarist. In particular, that riff before the solo is awesome.
9. Tie Your Mother Down - This has one of the most fun rocking riffs. And Brian shows that he can play slide guitar. He can play anything.
10. Seven Seas of Rhye - Brian's trademark harmonized leads play not just in the solo but throughout the song, giving the song its "fantasy" atmosphere.
11. Mother Love - Has one of Brian's most emotional solos, made more dramatic by the circumstance surrounding the song.
12. I Can't Live With You (Queen Rocks version) - This has one of my favorite Brian May "happy" solos, for lack of a better term. And I just smile when I hear that outro lead.
13. Sail Away Sweet Sister - Again, emotions driving the song in both Brian's vocals and guitar.
14. Bijou - A guitar is crying along with Freddie.
15. Back To The Light - This time, the feeling of hope captured in the guitar. That outro is divine.
16. Ogre Battle - One of Brian's meanest riffs.
17. Hammer To Fall (Live at Wembley '86) - A hard rock masterpiece. The Wembley version is one of my favorite live Queen performances because of Brian's amazing extended outro.
18. Save Me - Nobody does majestic guitar as majestically as Brian. In yet another sad Brian May-written song.
19. It's Late - My favorite Brian May song. Scratch that. My favorite Queen song.

Thanks to those who followed the thread. :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:45:25 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: erwinrafael's 25 Favorite Musicians: #1. A majestic ending
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Can't argue with that choice. In fact I could argue with it but won't because it's your list and your choice. I like Brian May, even think he's great but he wouldn't be my top choice.

Anyway, nice list.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2017, 03:29:15 PM »
Everyone's list is different, but I would be hard pressed to argue with you here.  Certainly, one of the nicest men in the rock world.  I'll point out a few more of his standout tracks later ('Stone Cold Crazy' being one)

ahh, finally found the link.  If anyone wants to know what me and Mrs DA looked like 15 years ago, check the link, at the bottom left

https://brianmay.com/queen/waf/waf1.html

day one of our honeymoon
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
Wow, you met Dr. Brian May! Huhuhu, that's the thing with being a big fan here on the Philippines: I would never meet any of these musicians on my list.

Can't argue with that choice. In fact I could argue with it but won't because it's your list and your choice. I like Brian May, even think he's great but he wouldn't be my top choice.

Anyway, nice list.  :metal

He represents what I like about my other favorites in this list. I guess the reasons why I love Brian May shaped my criteria for liking other musicians: Melodic, pushes boundaries, can be excellent without overshadowing other bandmates.

Just realized that the list also represents my Top bands:

1. Queen
2. Dream Theater
3. Steve Vai + the Fire Garden / Ultra Zone tour band (Keneally, Bynoe, Mangini)
4. Van Halen
5. Extreme
6. Savatage
7. Toto
8. Soundgarden
9. Joe Satriani's The Extremist band
10. Metallica
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:46:05 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »
Great pick for number 1.  :tup :tup

Although I am a bit puzzled at how '39 isn't on your ultimate 1-CD Brian May playlist. ???

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
Great list indeed, and '39 is a great song.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
Great pick for number 1.  :tup :tup

Although I am a bit puzzled at how '39 isn't on your ultimate 1-CD Brian May playlist. ???

It was on the fringe, along with Tear It Up, Headlong and Stone Cold Crazy. I don't know which song to take out of the list. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2017, 04:49:45 AM »
Are you guys cool with me doing the next list?

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »
Speaking of books, has anyone read Phil's new autobiography "Not Dead Yet"?

Alot of interesting insight on his personal battles during his time with Genesis, especially during the early years and what it was like balancing Brand X and his solo career as well.

Im sure alot of details are probably repeated in other documentaries for the band but there's alot of great stories regarding backstage shenanigans and onstage mishaps.

Edit: how the hell did this get here? Can a mod move this to the Genesis thread please?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
For some reason when I read Phil Anselmo, then I read Genesis I realized which Phil it is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2017, 04:34:50 AM »
Speaking of books, has anyone read Phil's new autobiography "Not Dead Yet"?

Alot of interesting insight on his personal battles during his time with Genesis, especially during the early years and what it was like balancing Brand X and his solo career as well.

Im sure alot of details are probably repeated in other documentaries for the band but there's alot of great stories regarding backstage shenanigans and onstage mishaps.

Edit: how the hell did this get here? Can a mod move this to the Genesis thread please?
I can't move a post from one thread to another. But if you copy it and paste it into a new post in the appropriate thread, I can delete this one. Just PM me when you're done.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.