Author Topic: Funny life stories tied into Music.  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Funny life stories tied into Music.
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »
I've never seen Cheap Trick, but my understanding is that they put on a pretty good show.  I'd be bummed if I'd been planning on seeing GNR and got them, though.

My very first concert was Styx: The Grand Illusion when I was still in junior high.  I went with my buddy Chris.  Neither of us had any non-tobacco, but I grabbed a pack of matches and stuck it in my shirt pocket, just in case.  My thinking was that someone there might have something, but no lighter or matches, but I'd be there with matches, and he'd gratefully offer me a hit.  Yeah, a long shot, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

At the concert, that is exactly what happened.  After the opening band, I went to use the bathroom, and this was back when smoking indoors was still legal, so on the way back, the entire lobby was completely full of smoke.  Mostly tobacco, but not all by any means.  This guy comes up to me with a non-tobacco cigarette and asks me if I have a light.  I pull out the matches and light him up.  He hit, then gestured to me.  We ended up sharing it.  I thanked him, then went back inside, blazed out of my mind.

Fast forward a few years.  We're in high school now and have driver's licenses and all that.  Chris calls me up and says he won tickets to see Foreigner, but doesn't have any way to get there.  If I can drive, I get the other ticket.  It was a deal.

The radio station had three pairs of tickets, and Chris was first of the winners to get there and took the middle two because that put us right in the center.  We get there and find our seats; I'm on the left, he's on the right, and I hear him saying "Hi!  How are you doing?" to the people on the other side of him.  It's our junior high band teacher and her husband.  We chatted a bit, but once the house lights came down, I was kinda cut off from them, which was fine with me, because the two guys to my left came in reeking of non-tobacco and once Foreigner started, they were blazing up.  After a few back-and-forths, the guy to my left tapped my arm and gestured, and I accepted.  I then motioned to ask whether or not I could pass it over to Chris, and he nodded, but Chris waved me off because he's sitting next to our junior high band teacher.  Oh well.  I passed it back.  The three of us got completely blown away, or at least I did.  Got lost just trying to get out of the parking lot on the way out.

Poor Chris.  Twice, I was in the right place at the right time, and he was not.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
 :lol

Orbert stories are the gold standard.  :biggrin:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »

I love it!  we all have these funny stories involving music.  Fantastic Orbert!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
I still laugh when I think back on it, because it was practically the same thing both times, and both times it was Chris I was with, and he missed out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »

I love it!  we all have these funny stories involving music.   

And non-tobacco!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »

And non-tobacco!

Oh I have a story I will use involving non tabacco and alcohol.  Tim, a little teaser, it involves your favorite band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »
Bring on the Skid Row story.  :biggrin:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
I have no stories, but I am following this thread...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 06:45:18 AM »

And non-tobacco!

Oh I have a story I will use involving non tabacco and alcohol.  Tim, a little teaser, it involves your favorite band.

When did you see Winger?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 07:38:55 AM »

1989 at The Channel.  Tim would know. :lol

But seriously I'm hoping a few more people post before I add what we are talking about.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
Loved The Channel. I saw Mr. Bungle there. It was an afternoon show, and the light coming in through the windows just over the water was awesome.
Also saw Armored Saint there. Slayer too.

Funny thing about the Slayer show. First off, I had never been to The Channel before. And frankly, I was a bit worried about seeing Slayer do a club show, so I literally did not have a drink of beer during the show, nor did I  :hat. I was totally straight.
My friend brought a 6 pack, but I was clear I wasn't drinking. Anyway after the show, I get pulled over on 93 South by a State Trooper. Now here I am with a black Slayer t shirt on, and the cop says, "Where are you coming from?", and I go "um The Channel" ( :lol).
He says, "Have you been drinking?", and I say "No?". He goes, "I'll be the judge of that, step out of the car".

So I have to do a field sobriety test right there on the highway. It's September, so it's a bit cool at 1:30AM and I had a t shirt on. Any way I pass. He asks where I'm driving to. I lived an hour away. He says, "If you get in an accident, I will kill you.".

Wut??

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2017, 07:08:40 AM »
I told a pretty funny story in the Zappa Discography thread, but I don't know if it will register with the non-Zappa-fans.

Linky
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »
So, it's 1987, and the local radio station I listen to has a 'song of the day' contest.  Be the 10th caller when it's played, and you win a prize.  The prize at this particular day is a "portable" phone, with 30 minutes of airtime a month for 1 year.  It's valued at $2,500!! :omg: :omg:  Lol at that nowadays.  Anyways... song of the day is Ticket to Ride, and guess who's got two thumbs and is the 10th caller?

So I eventually pick up a certificate for the prize, and then take an ad out in the paper to sell it.  I end up getting $1,200 for it - bought by some insurance broker.  I promptly go shopping for a sound system, as I still had something that was pretty shit, and a '70s hand-me-down from my parents.  Ended up with a sweet Pioneer stereo system - 250w of powah, CD player, dual cassette deck, and integrated 5 channel tuner/receiver.  The tuner/receiver was roughly the size of a toaster microwave oven, and the speakers were the size of a 2-drawer filing cabinet.  I had that system until the early 00s when it was just way to bulky to justify keeping given the kind of technology available.  I lugged that fuckin system to/from university every four months from 93-96 (I was in a co-op program), and always made room in whatever bedroom I was renting for those speakers.

Ticket to Ride was good to me that day.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »
I remember the Power Windows show. They handed out 3D glasses for The Weapon. We were like 5th row right in front of Geddy. I remember turning around and seeing the entire Providence Civic Center in 3D glasses and I remember thinking what fucking nerd world did I just land in? :lol

Never got The Weapon on that tour, but I saw them March 31 and April 1 1986 (31 years ago...wow!)

I guess this is funny (at least it is for us.)

My wife and always I break out into spontaneous laughter whenever we hear Crazy Train.