Author Topic: R.I.P. John Wetton  (Read 3260 times)

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Re: R.I.P. John Wetton
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2017, 04:38:43 AM »
I remember really liking "Never In A Million Years", "The Heat Goes On" and "Eye To Eye". I'll have to give the old Asia stuff another spin sometime. I usually stick to their post reunion-with-Wetton stuff from the 2000s and on. It's really strong stuff for a comeback like that.
Their first two albums are gold, although I do prefer a lot of the post-reunion stuff. Even their last album, Gravitas (despite the lack of Howe on guitar), is bloody fantastic. Sam Coulson is a great guitarist, and John's vocals were great on that album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 11:00:20 AM »
Yes dedicated Heat Of The Moment to John Wetton, on Cruise To The Edge three days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq0Ga4ChyJM
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2017, 01:58:40 PM »
When you consider how big a hits Heat of the Moment and Owner of a Lonely Heart were in the early 80s, the current version of Yes ought to just play Heat of the Moment live, since two current Yes members played on that originally, while none of them played on the original Owner of a Lonely Heart. :lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
When you consider how big a hits Heat of the Moment and Owner of a Lonely Heart were in the early 80s, the current version of Yes ought to just play Heat of the Moment live, since two current Yes members played on that originally, while none of them played on the original Owner of a Lonely Heart. :lol :lol

True, especially more so when you consider that Billy Sherwood is now playing bass for BOTH bands.

-Mar.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2017, 10:53:20 PM »
I listened to King Crimson's U.S.A. again.  It felt good.  John Wetton was such a fucking beast on both bass and vocals.

One of my favorite live albums of all time.

OF ALL TIME!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2017, 07:56:14 AM »
Watching the Grammy's last night, and as the "In Memorium" came up, I make a sort of atypical snide comment to my wife about how there would be no mention of Squire, Wetton, Emerson, or Lake, but by gosh by golly we'll see the record execs named!  And she was contrite and said "well, didn't Squire die the year before? (He did)  And didn't the Asia guy just die?   I don't know the other two, but.."   and as she's talking, the third mention:  "Keith Emerson and Greg Lake", and the fourth mention: "John Wetton".   I stand corrected.   

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
Billy Sherwood is now playing bass for BOTH bands.

-Mar.

That's the most sobering sentence I've seen today.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »
Billy Sherwood is now playing bass for BOTH bands.

-Mar.

That's the most sobering sentence I've seen today.

I know. Honestly, with Billy at the helm, there should just be a massive Yes/Asia/Circa tour. I think a lot of yesfans might get a kick out of that, and it could provide some great variations on each band's music played by various musicians.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see where Yes and Asia go from here.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!