Author Topic: R.I.P. John Wetton  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Tomislav95

R.I.P. John Wetton
« on: January 31, 2017, 04:48:22 AM »
Just saw it on Asia's official Facebook site. He passed away after a battle with cancer :( I loved his work in KC and Asia.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: R.I.P. John Wetton
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:38 AM »
Fuuuuuckk.  :'(
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »
No way... I knew he wasn't well because I recalled reading he had t take a break from performing, but I had no idea it was s erious. :(

RIP John...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:51:57 AM »
Damn, RIP mate.  Is it really gonna be another year like this.  :'(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:07:24 AM »
For fucks sake! He was a really fantastic musician and an integral part of some of the best records King Crimson produced. R.I.P.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 05:12:48 AM »
Chris Squire 19 months ago, Greg Lake last month, and now John. Cancer is a bitch...

I'll be listening to some King Crimson, Asia, and UK this week in his memory. Ugh...  :'(

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 05:15:20 AM »
Some guy on Spotify has a list of Asia, ELP, King Crimson, and Yes. I just started listening to it.

RIP, Mr. Wetton. You were a rare talent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 05:15:41 AM »
I thought he had an awesome voice. I mean I only know his work from the Asia debut but that's what I remember about those songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »
R.I.P.

I really enjoy his voice on the various projects/bands he was involved with.

Damn, RIP mate.  Is it really gonna be another year like this.  :'(

Unfortunately, I don't think it will stop  :-\

This is the reality of reaching the risk age of 65 years and beyond. Many people die around their 70's, especially people who smoke and drink on a frequent basis (not saying that is the case here though!). (late) 60's, 70's, then the 80's etc. We have reached a point where the pop/rock legends that were young enough to be featured in modern media are dying.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 05:35:22 AM »
Damn, I checked out Larks' Tongues a while ago and it's a pretty cool album. RIP

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 06:10:11 AM »
Dammit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 06:11:13 AM »
Big fan.  That first Asia album kicked my ass all over 1982, and I liked the second one even better.  Then I got into his work with Crimson, and that is in fact my favorite era of the band. 

I'm a big fan of that warm, I guess it's a tenor sound of his voice (and Greg Lake's).   I saw him with Asia (on Howe's last tour with the band) and his solo spot of "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" was stellar.   STELLAR.

This is our new reality, unfortunately, and I can't lie and say I didn't see this coming when he had to pull out of Mike's cruise in a few weeks.   

Offline Mladen

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 06:15:54 AM »
Sad news. RIP.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 06:30:34 AM »
Goddammit.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »
Just woke up to this news. I feel a bit gutted, since it was Red that got me into King Crimson a few years back. Wetton's performance on that album definitely played a part in that.

I'm listening to "Starless" right now in tribute to him.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 06:44:56 AM »
Just woke up to this news. I feel a bit gutted, since it was Red that got me into King Crimson a few years back. Wetton's performance on that album definitely played a part in that.

Also listening to Starless.  My favorite KC lineup, my favorite bass player... He even surpassed Geddy Lee in terms of being most influential in my own playing.

This just makes me sad.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »
After reading this news, all I can think of is Mangini is lucky he got to play with him in the final UK tour.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
R.I.P John

2017 is going to be just as bad as 2016, isn't it? :(

Gonna listen some Asia from Spotify, later today.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
this stinks.

Asia was my first "prog" album.

RIP.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
"Tomorrow The World" is my favorite Asia song, and it's the first thing I listened to when I heard the news. I loved John Wetton's voice in both Asia and King Crimson. Red's one of my favorite albums ever. Rest in peace.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
Such a great guy. One of my biggest musical inspirations. I'll be listening to Asia and KC all night. RIP...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »

I'm listening to Fallen Angel.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
His bass work on Red is skull crushingly heavy, love it. Great tone and playing. R.I.P. to this awesome musician
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
Dammit.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »
I thought he had an awesome voice. I mean I only know his work from the Asia debut but that's what I remember about those songs.

Surprised you'd heard of him  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
When I woke up this morning and saw it, I had been awakened by nature's call. After reading about it, I couldn't fall back asleep right away, so I put on a playlist of Asia's first three albums, which was good to fall back asleep to and hear waking back up a couple of hours later.

Now at work, i've got UK spinning on my work computer. I will miss this man's vocal and bass talents a whole lot. Gonna have to spin some King Crimson when I get home tonight, and perhaps Ayreon's The Theory Of Everything, on which he was one of the highlights of the whole album.

I can't begin to imagine how Billy Sherwood must feel at this point, considering he was the fill-in for John for, at least, the first part of Asia's 2017 tour dates. I wonder how fans will feel, considering Asia was still 3/4ths of the original band, but now down to half. Not a slight against Billy, by any means, but I know a lot of fans were hoping John would get better so that he could perform with Asia this year.

I wonder if there will be a tribute on Cruise To The Edge this year? For both John and Greg...

-Marc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »
His work with King crimson was god tier stuff. RIP

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 04:00:38 PM »

Surprised you'd heard of him  :biggrin:
;D

Asia was pretty big when I was a kid. But had it not been for them, I wouldn't have a clue.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
Damn good bass player and a great, underrated singer.

R.I.P.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »
Really sad. R.I.P. :(

Listening to Starless and Bible Black right now.

Offline bundy

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 02:58:23 AM »
Fuck Cancer!

RIP John Wetton

Not much I can say that others haven't already posted. Superb body of work over many years.

Terrific singer and a terrific bass player. Responsible for an album that has been in my top 5 of all time (Alpha) since it was released and a top 5 track for me as well (Open Your Eyes). The soundtrack to one of the best years of my life.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »
^^^ NICE!  I thought I was the only one that really loved Alpha.  I even said above, that the debut was iconic, but I go for Alpha more.   Open Your Eyes.  Midnight Sun.  The Last To Know.  The melodies on that record are just KILLER.

Offline bundy

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »
Agree completely Stadler. Wetton/Downes really worked as a songwriting partnership. While the debut is also a five star album for me and certainly the one that most cite as their highpoint, everything about Alpha is more to my taste. The production, Downes keyboards, the overall mix, Howe's guitar (I'm a massive fan of Howe and his work Open Your Eyes is amongst my favourite), Palmer's drumming and not to mention Wetton himself.

Anyone not familiar with Open your Eyes, this is alive version. It does feature the short lived Lake (RIP), Howe, Downes, Palmer version of the band though. The section from 4.30 onwards, essentially defines 80s stadium rock as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't get better than this. Having said that, I actually prefer the studio version with Wetton. I've posted the link for that as well for those not familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCCEHQsXlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZS_xY64R0

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »
^^^ NICE!  I thought I was the only one that really loved Alpha.  I even said above, that the debut was iconic, but I go for Alpha more.   Open Your Eyes.  Midnight Sun.  The Last To Know.  The melodies on that record are just KILLER.

I love those first three records about equally though there's a "brightness" for lack of a better word on Alpha that's not on the others.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »
I remember really liking "Never In A Million Years", "The Heat Goes On" and "Eye To Eye". I'll have to give the old Asia stuff another spin sometime. I usually stick to their post reunion-with-Wetton stuff from the 2000s and on. It's really strong stuff for a comeback like that.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.