Author Topic: Things that p*ss me off: driving  (Read 11098 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: Things that p*ss me off: driving
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2017, 08:44:58 PM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2017, 05:18:10 AM »
I can't stand it when on a 40 mph road, when people make a right turn, but slow to a complete stop before making it, basically almost getting rear ended by people behind them (specifically me)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »
People who make a turn from the left land, that have to stop to wait for the opportunity........but don't signal. I get that you need to make a left, I get that you need to wait for the opposite traffic to be okay first, cool. BUT SIGNAL. The result is you just stopped in the middle of the left hand lane being a douche.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2017, 11:07:18 AM »
Or people that put their blinker on, you think they are going to turn at the store entrance (street) you are at, but turn one or two exits after that.

Living in the metro Baltimore area after years of the 'carefree' time in Michigan (and surviving metro Detroit for a year), I miss 'grids' and numbered or lettered roads.  Before I moved nearer to that work location, my commute was 75 miles.  It would take 75 minutes.  At times it was wearing, but I enjoyed it.  I have two trips into DC next week of 40 and 55 miles.  I'm allotting two hours each time one way, knowing that my growing 'fear factor' will elevate.  The tailgaters and darters and 'WTW is your hurry, can't you see everyone up ahead is breaking?' leadfoots.

I also often wonder if the engineers in this area were on good drugs, or bad drugs.  Curves, bad sight lines, streets that go from 3 to 2 to 1 lanes, entrances onto the Beltway that are uphill, exits on the left....

There is a wonderful traffic circle that has five entrances, crosswalks, and a two lane circle (with 'must exit right' outer lane in spots).  So you have to avoid the outer lane traffic, dart in and avoid the inner lane traffic, and then make your way back to the outer lane.  I get tense writing about it.  My wife gets white knuckle tense when she knows we have to go through it. 

I do also wish there was a universal 'MY BAD' signal for when I screw up. 

I wish all exits and entrances were from/onto the right lane.
I wish all gas tanks filled on the driver's side.
I wish that all lane dividers on roads were visible in the rain (hell, when it's dry) and not five years overdue for a touch up.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 04:23:59 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »
I love that guy that honked at me in boston today.  I admit, I should have put my blinker on to make it obvious I was going to the right lane even though my lane was merging with that one, but the road lanes weren't clearly marked as to where the lanes merged.  So while I don't think I drove incorrectly, I understand it was hard to understand that merge and to make it easier for the person behind me, I should have jut put my blinker on... but this guy who was behind me ended up honking and then getting to the right of me.  Well he got close enough to get next to me and honk again and let me know visually how mad he was.  Although while I admit my mistake, I am still not sure how it effected him since I didn't cut him off, I was always in front, but now that he went to the right of me, I guess he went out of his way to let me know he was mad because immediately after his display of anger, he then cut the person off behind me to go left.   ???

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »
You MOTHER FUCKER, that was YOU!!

Just kidding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2017, 07:35:24 PM »
I love that guy that honked at me in boston today.  I admit, I should have put my blinker on to make it obvious I was going to the right lane even though my lane was merging with that one, but the road lanes weren't clearly marked as to where the lanes merged.  So while I don't think I drove incorrectly, I understand it was hard to understand that merge and to make it easier for the person behind me, I should have jut put my blinker on... but this guy who was behind me ended up honking and then getting to the right of me.  Well he got close enough to get next to me and honk again and let me know visually how mad he was.  Although while I admit my mistake, I am still not sure how it effected him since I didn't cut him off, I was always in front, but now that he went to the right of me, I guess he went out of his way to let me know he was mad because immediately after his display of anger, he then cut the person off behind me to go left.   ???

Eh, those Bostonians are whiny bitches anyway.  :biggrin:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2017, 01:02:13 AM »
On the turning thing: I love the cunt farts that will swerve in between cars without a blinker like they're in fucking Bullit and then when they get into the turn only lane... the put their blinker on.

Yep. Thanks for that. I figured you'd be going head on into traffic. Phew! Good thing you let me know you're turning in the turn only lane where it's the only direction to go unless you want to die.

WHICH YOU SHOULD, YOU TROGLODYTE FECES.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2017, 04:26:42 AM »
^
Since my wife gets upset when I swear, I now have an acceptable term to use, as Foghorn Leghorn stated, in case of such emergencies :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
I've kinda been skimming this thread so I'm not sure if this had been mentioned but when people in the right hand lane with an open lane or two next to them don't move over to allow a merging car in when the merging on ramp is rapidly shrinking it drives me up a fucking wall. I know it seems like that's something that is done out of courtesy but it's pretty dangerous when you have a person trying to get up to highway speed and the jerk off in the right hand lane is just cruising along, essentially blocking someone who is clearly trying to get over. I dunno maybe I'm expecting too much of my fellow drivers.

Must've been in the air in Boston on Saturday. I was leaving Brighton and got stuck on Cambridge St. for quite a long time because either the lights were off or people kept needing to make lefts and holding up the single lane of traffic for minutes at a clip. Just a lot of obliviousness and lack of driving skills to avoid on a dinky half mile stretch to the highway.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2017, 06:41:56 AM »
I've kinda been skimming this thread so I'm not sure if this had been mentioned but when people in the right hand lane with an open lane or two next to them don't move over to allow a merging car in when the merging on ramp is rapidly shrinking it drives me up a fucking wall. I know it seems like that's something that is done out of courtesy but it's pretty dangerous when you have a person trying to get up to highway speed and the jerk off in the right hand lane is just cruising along, essentially blocking someone who is clearly trying to get over. I dunno maybe I'm expecting too much of my fellow drivers.

I hate when I'm behind someone on an on ramp and they're approaching the highway at 40mph.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »
I've been told that I should be careful when I brake-check people who tailgate me but damn it pisses me right off. Tailgating me, when I'm going the speed limit or at least 5 over, doesn't get you there any fucking faster.

I'm sorry, nothing personal, but "brake-checking" is the tool of the devil.  There's no "safe way" to do it, and even if the ass behind you is tailgating, two wrongs don't make a right.  You let your anger control; it's not as if the tailgater isn't going to see the brake-check and go "oh, wow, you're right; that slow person in front of me is dead on correct, and I need to reevaluate my driving technique!".

I know when I get brake-checked, 99% of the time I feel I'm still at a safe distance and the person in front of me is the hazard.   So...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2017, 07:03:23 AM »
#1 People that don't use the turn signals, you know who you are.

#2 People that tailgate even though it's very clear I can't turn to the right because of traffic, I won't speed up more just because you're in a hurry because i'm already way over speedlimit. Once it's clear, I will turn. Where I drive we mostly have two line highways just to be clear.

Sorry, boss, but that "I'm not going go out of my way one iota to even remotely pretend to be at all accommodating to other drivers on the road that may be making different choices than I am" attitude to be part of the problem.  As I said to Debra, EVERYONE thinks they're spot on right, and while you're worried about the guy behind you, and feel you're "doing your part for humanity", they're invariably thinking "how did this tool get their license?  They could have moved over six times already."

I can't tell you how many times I've been behind someone, and they're waiting to get to the absolutely clearest spot on the highway to move over, when there were easily half-a-dozen spots they could have let me by peaceably and safely.    Sure, it would have meant that they would have likely had to move back over and repass the people in the middle lane, but so what?  There is no guarantee that ANYONE - me, you, or anyone else - can stay in the SAME LANE at the SAME SPEED for their entire journey.  Sometimes I have to slow down for the person in front of me, and sometimes you have to speed up for the guy behind you.  No one's asking you to go 100 miles an hour, but at 70, a few mph is negligible, and well within any "safety factor" you're sticking to (and certainly FAR more safe than you in close proximity to a car next to you and behind you).   

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2017, 07:09:53 AM »
I've been told that I should be careful when I brake-check people who tailgate me but damn it pisses me right off. Tailgating me, when I'm going the speed limit or at least 5 over, doesn't get you there any fucking faster.

Just get the hell out of the way then. If you're doing the speed limit, you won't get there any slower by moving over and getting out of my way. You really want to risk brake checking someone and possibly causing an accident on the highway because you're trying to prove a point to someone? You pose a greater danger to yourself and others by holding at 70 in the fast lane than someone cruising at 90 in it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »

I hate when I'm behind someone on an on ramp and they're approaching the highway at 40mph.

Yeah there is that problem. I usually floor it to at least match the speed limit.

That reminds me that in my traffic class in college my teacher mentioned how there is typically one car for every fourteen car lengths so you have a 13 in 14 chance of  ot getting into an accident when you merge so you're better off just going for it.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »
I hate traffic lights that stay green for cross traffic when no one is coming.  I've sat at a light for 1-2 minutes waiting for no one.   >:(
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2017, 11:44:50 AM »
The brake check thing came up a year or two ago because of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSE3fkeHAmo
Dude was driving like a complete asshole, and nobody really feels sorry for him crashing his car, but was proving that point worth potentially causing a major injury? What if he'd careened into oncoming traffic? Did those guys deserve to be hit? Guys on his side of the road had to take emergency action, as well. I'm a heartless bastard with a penchant for rationalizing, and if I'd caused an admitted asshole to be injured, much less an innocent driver, I'd feel pretty rotten about it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
I love break checking people. On Staten Island the tailgating problem is bad and my rationale is that either the person stops tailgating me or they rear end me and I get a new back bumper "for free".
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
I love break checking people. On Staten Island the tailgating problem is bad and my rationale is that either the person stops tailgating me or they rear end me and I get a new back bumper "for free".

Or, as a very alert driver who's never had an accident, I don't hit you, I don't stop tailgating, and you get to deal with me flashing my high beams and laying on my horn until you're no longer in front of me because you're being a dick.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
break checking is the worse, probably worse than the assholes who deserve the get break checked honestly

I honestly just hate seeing the break lights at all on a highway, keep moving!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »

#2 People that tailgate even though it's very clear I can't turn to the right because of traffic, I won't speed up more just because you're in a hurry because i'm already way over speedlimit. Once it's clear, I will turn. Where I drive we mostly have two line highways just to be clear.

Sorry, boss, but that "I'm not going go out of my way one iota to even remotely pretend to be at all accommodating to other drivers on the road that may be making different choices than I am" attitude to be part of the problem.  As I said to Debra, EVERYONE thinks they're spot on right, and while you're worried about the guy behind you, and feel you're "doing your part for humanity", they're invariably thinking "how did this tool get their license?  They could have moved over six times already."

I can't tell you how many times I've been behind someone, and they're waiting to get to the absolutely clearest spot on the highway to move over, when there were easily half-a-dozen spots they could have let me by peaceably and safely.    Sure, it would have meant that they would have likely had to move back over and repass the people in the middle lane, but so what?  There is no guarantee that ANYONE - me, you, or anyone else - can stay in the SAME LANE at the SAME SPEED for their entire journey.  Sometimes I have to slow down for the person in front of me, and sometimes you have to speed up for the guy behind you.  No one's asking you to go 100 miles an hour, but at 70, a few mph is negligible, and well within any "safety factor" you're sticking to (and certainly FAR more safe than you in close proximity to a car next to you and behind you).   
If I can't move to the right because of traffic I can't move to the right, as simple as that. If I can move to the right lane safely, I will. I'm not talking about looking for the right spot or not accelerating because someones up my ass. Trust me i'm well aware that someone might be in a hurry and i'm not delibrately holding traffic because i'm annoyed someones talgating me. If i'm way over speedlimit because that usually what you are when you pass in the left lane and someones still close to me, i'm annoyed over the fact that if someone turns to the left lane infront of me quickly without seeing me or something happens that force me to emergency break, the car behind me will not have time to break which could be a matter of life and death. Keep your distance for safety reasons, that's all i'm asking for.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »
^
This....and when it's raining, or the road is wet.  Do these people seriously think that riding one car length behind me will give them enough time to stop just in case something happens 4-6 car lengths in front of me?  At speeds of 50+?  Even if the pavement is dry, 'sorry, pal', but one car length is gonna have you smashing into my ass if I have to suddenly break.  Five lengths is gonna have you smashing into my ass if I have to suddenly break....but you MIGHT have a chance to avoid me/us.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2017, 08:52:15 PM »

If I can't move to the right because of traffic I can't move to the right, as simple as that. If I can move to the right lane safely, I will. I'm not talking about looking for the right spot or not accelerating because someones up my ass. Trust me i'm well aware that someone might be in a hurry and i'm not delibrately holding traffic because i'm annoyed someones talgating me. If i'm way over speedlimit because that usually what you are when you pass in the left lane and someones still close to me, i'm annoyed over the fact that if someone turns to the left lane infront of me quickly without seeing me or something happens that force me to emergency break, the car behind me will not have time to break which could be a matter of life and death. Keep your distance for safety reasons, that's all i'm asking for.

I'm with you. I had a lot of times today where I was driving fairly ahead of the curve in the left lane but there was some asshole behind me that was making moves like I wasn't traveling to his liking so I'd speed up and find a spot to move over only to find he was looking to keep up his 30-40+mph over the speed limit pace. I'm well aware that I'm in the fast lane but as far as I know the US doesn't have an Autobahn and some of these drivers just don't care about that. Someone going 10-15+ plus in the fast lane isn't trying to slow you down, jackass (not you, Boom), they're in the same boat just not to the same extreme.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
I think the only thing that's clear from both humanity in general, our experiences and the thread itself, is that humans driving is a fucking horrible idea and holy fuck.  :lol

Great way to thin the population though, hoo boy. Shit kills more people than almost anything else. Fucking cars man. Cars and humans. AWESOME MIXTURE OF AWESOME.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2017, 06:35:25 AM »
^
This....and when it's raining, or the road is wet.  Do these people seriously think that riding one car length behind me will give them enough time to stop just in case something happens 4-6 car lengths in front of me?  At speeds of 50+?  Even if the pavement is dry, 'sorry, pal', but one car length is gonna have you smashing into my ass if I have to suddenly break.  Five lengths is gonna have you smashing into my ass if I have to suddenly break....but you MIGHT have a chance to avoid me/us.

Look, I'm sure you guys are excellent drivers, and paying the utmost attention to those around you.... but for whatever reason, it always seems SO reasonable when written on forums like this, but it's SO unreasonable out in the real world.  I don't know if people are just afraid to come on here and say "Oh, yeah, I space like a mofo all the time.  I'm in the left lane, doing whatever it is I please, and don't give two shits about any other car around me.  Maybe I'll just stay in that lane with 15 cars behind me - fucking over a mile and a half of traffic - or maybe I'll wait until there is a quarter mile gap and I'll SLOWLY slide into it, texting all the while!"   but that's the reality, not what we're reading here.  I'm on an interstate EVERY SINGLE DAY, and there's not a trip I've taken where there isn't some asshole just sitting in the left lane, not actually passing anyone, but just cruising, sometimes neck and neck with the car next to them in the middle lane (about as dangerous a condition as you can get on a major highway) staring off into space not a care in the world.   

Where are THOSE posters?   

I forget if it was here or another forum I post on, but I offered to take vids on my phone of these creeps, and in two days my phone was FULL.   Literally, FULL. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2017, 06:49:12 AM »
I'm with them.  There are more aggressive drivers than slow pokes these days.  I totally agree about getting out of the way but 9 times out of 10 they are impatient when I'm already traveling 75 MPH and I'm not accelerating like a madman to move to the next lane.  I will still accelerate but safely.  For the most part I'll see them coming  and move before they get to me but lately, driving as so damn fast and way over the speed limit that they surprise you from another lane, not the long distant driver you see coming.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
^

Look, I'm sure you guys are excellent drivers, and paying the utmost attention to those around you.... but for whatever reason, it always seems SO reasonable when written on forums like this, but it's SO unreasonable out in the real world.  I don't know if people are just afraid to come on here and say "Oh, yeah, I space like a mofo all the time.  I'm in the left lane, doing whatever it is I please, and don't give two shits about any other car around me.  Maybe I'll just stay in that lane with 15 cars behind me - fucking over a mile and a half of traffic - or maybe I'll wait until there is a quarter mile gap and I'll SLOWLY slide into it, texting all the while!"   but that's the reality, not what we're reading here.  I'm on an interstate EVERY SINGLE DAY, and there's not a trip I've taken where there isn't some asshole just sitting in the left lane, not actually passing anyone, but just cruising, sometimes neck and neck with the car next to them in the middle lane (about as dangerous a condition as you can get on a major highway) staring off into space not a care in the world.   

Where are THOSE posters?   

I forget if it was here or another forum I post on, but I offered to take vids on my phone of these creeps, and in two days my phone was FULL.   Literally, FULL.

There's a woman on Youtube that has a channel dedicated to shitty CT drivers. I'll try and find it when I get home tonight.

I find that the people that won't get out of the fast lane don't want to slow down themselves, even if it's literally a mile an hour or two. The middle lane will be travelling at 62mph and they'll be going 64mph in the fast. Because they're technically going faster, they feel like staying in that lane is justified. I usually end up going all the way to the right lane to go around both people to get back over to the fast lane. I drive 500+ miles a week on the highway, and this makes my blood boil more than anything.

Also, I had to be in Fitchburg MA last sunday for 7AM. It was a solid two hour and fifteen minute drive. There was absolutely nobody on the road, and ironically, I had to drive slower as a result. On a Tuesday morning, if the majority of traffic is cruising at 80mph, I feel perfectly safe (from a cop standpoint) doing 85mph or 90mph. But as the lone car on the road, I was afraid to exceed 75mph, even though there is no safer time to speed than at 5:00am on a Sunday morning. I wish speed limits were based on time, but I'm sure drunk drivers are one of the main reasons against that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »
There's a woman on Youtube that has a channel dedicated to shitty CT drivers. I'll try and find it when I get home tonight.

I think there is one for many states.  I happened to watch one recently in Missouri and thought it was terrible.  The things that person said were "bad drivers" were things that don't even bother me it's so common place.  I've been talking for awhile with my coworker about getting my own dashcam and doing my own youtube video.  I think it would be way better than the one I watched.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2017, 10:30:42 AM »
^

Where are THOSE posters?   

Read through a couple of mine, and then also 'between the lines' of a few others, and you'll see some of the 'we aren't perfect' parts.  Hell, Stadler, I copy/past and post in the wrong 'subject' at times :facepalm:

Here's one from a few months ago:  after work, I then take my wife to a part time evening job.  I go home.  I go back to pick her up a couple of hours later.  On our short drive back, on a four lane, two way, double yellow divider, 35 MPH street......I put on my signal to turn left....

......., and then crossed the double yellow into the oncoming lane for a short spell before making the turn!

I've driven that road hundreds of times.  I hadn't had a drop of alcohol for weeks.  I wasn't overly tired.  There was zero stress.  There was no oncoming traffic (if so, their headlights would have kept me from crossing over).  I simply had a 100% total brain fart.  Since then, I don't 'naturally' drive when I come to that turn, because I think of that 'miscue' every single time. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
Everyone is allowed their mistakes.  I've got my share as well.   No one's asking for "perfect", and while to some extent it's like a concert - Gene Simmons can be perfect for 99 Kiss shows, but he botches the lyrics to "Let Me Go, Rock and Roll" in one show, and it's all over the interwebs - it's more general behavioral patterns for me. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2017, 12:27:19 PM »
I agree that people camping in the left lane is not ok but honestly atleast in the areas I drive people will move out of the way in most cases however tailgating someone is never the solution because you put everyone including yourself in a dangerous situation. I've seen so many cases of people tailgating and making the person infront nervous which end up with them doing a haisty right turn or speeding up in a aggressive way. Provoking aggressive situations by tailgating in heavy traffic is very dangerous. Doing a safe passby in the left lane is quite the opposite in most situations.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2017, 05:40:02 PM »
How about this one? When you're the second car in the left turn lane, the sign at the intersection says "Left turn yield to oncoming traffic on green" (or something to that effect), the light is green for your direction of traffic, and the car in front of you doesn't pull out into the intersection as they are waiting for their left turn chance. Inevitably when this happens, the light turns yellow, and THEN they choose to go, leaving you to wait another light cycle. Not really "pissed off" material, but still can be annoying nonetheless...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2017, 05:54:04 PM »
How about this one? When you're the second car in the left turn lane, the sign at the intersection says "Left turn yield to oncoming traffic on green" (or something to that effect), the light is green for your direction of traffic, and the car in front of you doesn't pull out into the intersection as they are waiting for their left turn chance. Inevitably when this happens, the light turns yellow, and THEN they choose to go, leaving you to wait another light cycle. Not really "pissed off" material, but still can be annoying nonetheless...

On the flip side, it's annoying when a car does pull into the intersection at a light where there is no chance they can ever make a left without the arrow, meaning they are still there when everything turns red, and then they have to turn, making people who just got the green at other lights have to wait for their dumbass to get out of the intersection.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2017, 07:37:46 AM »

On the flip side, it's annoying when a car does pull into the intersection at a light where there is no chance they can ever make a left without the arrow, meaning they are still there when everything turns red, and then they have to turn, making people who just got the green at other lights have to wait for their dumbass to get out of the intersection.

DON'T BLOCK THE BOX.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2017, 07:43:26 AM »

Since no one wants to cop to being "that guy" in the left lane who flips the bird and taps the brakes when asked to show a little courtesy and respect (even though there are FAR more of them than the reasonable people who move over when asked, or better yet, don't even get camped in the left lane to start with), I'll cop to something I'm not terribly proud of...

I have a left hand turn to make to get on the highway.  It has a green arrow, then a green light both ways.   The arrow is short (usually one car) but I find a lot of people just creep ahead slowly (but don't actually turn), or wait even on the green.   When I'm the second car, I do not hesitate to turn and essentially "pass on the left" the person who is more content to text, wait, or pick their nose than engage in the task at hand and DRIVE.   It doesn't happen often - maybe once every two, three months, or so, but other than the actual pass - which is dicklike, and probably illegal - I don't think I'm asking them to do anything unreasonable.   GO.  GREEN MEANS GO.