Author Topic: Things that p*ss me off: driving  (Read 11101 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Things that p*ss me off: driving
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »
It seems as if appending "Sad!" to statements has officially entered the lexicon.  Sad! 

:) :) :)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »
It seems as if appending "Sad!" to statements has officially entered the lexicon.  Sad! 

My husband and I have been appending with "Love!" It's more uplifting.... and reminds me of the X-file Simpsons episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdm82pcUtyA

Offline romdrums

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
My ire is well-documented.   I cannot STAND assholes in the left lane that think it's either a) their right to sit in the left lane and hold up traffic, or b) their obligation to control others from their due path on the highway.   MOVE TO THE RIGHT IF YOU'RE NOT THE FASTEST CAR ON THAT STRETCH OF ROAD.

I end up doing over 50% of my driving in the right hand lane, because everyone is clogged over in the left hand lane following some a-hole who's head is up their ass.  It's usually fine, but on the odd occasion you get the person doing barely 60 and, well, they're in the correct lane so it's up to me to move around THEM. 

The absolute worst is when you show respect, you don't tailgate, but you flick the lights - recognized around the world as the friendly, polite signal that "I would like to pass; please move over" and they brake check you and/or flip the bird and/or just ignore you until they're good and ready to move (usually just to get off the exit).

In Fort Wayne, the left lane thing is so common there's even a band in town called Left Lane Cruiser.  The other joke is "Indiana is so conservative, you even have to pass to the right."  At the same time, people love to pass on the right here.  If I'm in the middle lane on I-69, and there's someone coming up behind me in my lane, 9 times out of 10, if both the left and right lanes are open, they will choose the right lane.  I've lived here 6 years now, and it still just boggles my mind.  Fort Wayne also has a very public chapter of what Neil Peart called "The Anti-Destination League."

The signature move in Fort Wayne though, is to pull out in front of someone and then drive at least 5 mph below the speed limit.  This happens in two primary ways: the first is to make the right hand turn into oncoming traffic and slow them way down, the other is to make the right hand turn in front of oncoming traffic making the left hand turn on to the same road. Bonus points if you make the wide right hand turn into the left hand lane.   This usually causes me to shout profanities in such combinations that would make a New Yorker stand up and take notice. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »

I know.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
Comments....
Yeah. Please stay the hell out of Dallas.

Shit. Come to Albuquerque where people don't understand the concept of turning signals.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »
Stadler, do you feel the same way when you are going 75 to 80 MPH in the fast lane and someone rides up close?  I always move over but when I'm going that fast there is no need to ride up someone's ass even if it is the fast lane.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
Stadler, do you feel the same way when you are going 75 to 80 MPH in the fast lane and someone rides up close?  I always move over but when I'm going that fast there is no need to ride up someone's ass even if it is the fast lane.

You don't know that. When my 18lb dog ate a whole pound of chocolate, any speed in front of me was too slow. I was filled with rage when I was getting stuck behind someone with my flashers going, my high beams flickering, and my horn blaring. People not moving out of the way just to make a point. By the time I got to the clinic I couldn't even walk because of the combination of anger and adrenaline. I had to sit in the car for a minute while Victoria brought Norman in because my legs wouldn't work right.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:28:40 PM by Chino »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
Your missing what I typed Brian.  In that I said I always move.  I'm not talking about blocking but 98% isn't an emergency and you can't move fast enough.  It's dangerous to do so.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:44 PM »

I ride up on someone because my cruise control is on. I don't feel sorry when they have seen me coming for 4 miles and are still riding in the left lane. I wasn't a surprise out of nowhere and don't make me turn my cruise control off man! That's just annoying lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
Just gonna leave this here (yes, old, I still love it - nsfw, language)

https://youtu.be/O4P61S672fY
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
If someone rides up my ass when I'm speeding myself in the passing lane it's because:
1. they're an asshole, or
2. they really need to get somewhere and it could be for a vital reason

I will always move over just in case there is some sort of emergency type issue, even though chances are the person is just being an ass. I can't take that chance, and would want someone to get out of my way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »

I ride up on someone because my cruise control is on. I don't feel sorry when they have seen me coming for 4 miles and are still riding in the left lane. I wasn't a surprise out of nowhere and don't make me turn my cruise control off man! That's just annoying lol

I'm not talking about someone I see coming up. No matter what I always move but it's the person flying that all of a sudden is right on your ass, you are going 75/80 and you have to find an opening safely to move and that person is still pushing you.

Those people need to find a ditch.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2017, 01:31:37 PM »
True, no need to tailgate in those scenarios.  I try to be very aware when I drive up someone's ass as to whether or not this person is just not paying attention or if they just can't go anywhere.  Last night was the first time in a looong time that I flashed my brights on someone.  THis person was in the left lane and would not pass the person in the middle lane.  The right lane was empty.  There was no one in front of them and no one in front of the car in the middle lane, but I was behind him and there was another car right up my ass behind me.  So after a few minutes of tailgating, I finally flasked my brights.... still nothing, went all the way to the right lane to get around him followed by the person behind me.   :facepalm:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
That's ok to me.  A quick flash of high beams says, "Hey, can you let me by?"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »
It seems in my area it is becoming more and more commonplace for people to drive at night with their headlights off. I have no idea why and it's fucking infuriating. A few weeks ago I almost pulled out of a shopping center into traffic right in front of a speeding minivan because the black van didn't have headlights on at 8:30 at night and I couldn't see them. Are people that dense that they can't see their dash isn't lit up? Or that the road is fucking dark in front of them??
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »

Honest to god, not saying this to back my statement, but I move over.  I move the fuck over.  I don't care if I'm doing 95, if someone wants to go faster, it's not my place to tell them no.  Who's to say there isn't someone in the back seat having a heart attack?   I move over.   

Having said that, I'm in the left lane less than 30% of the time at this point.  It's an almost impassable lane here in Connecticut. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »
That's ok to me.  A quick flash of high beams says, "Hey, can you let me by?"

I will say this:  here in CT, a flash of high beams gets the middle finger more than half the time.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2017, 02:53:51 PM »
Having said that, I'm in the left lane less than 30% of the time at this point.  It's an almost impassable lane here in Connecticut.

It's becoming more easy to just pass on the right because the right lane always seems to be empty and everyone is in the left for some reason.  I don't understand.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
One thing that bothers me more about driving on highways is that there are always people going under the speed limit in the middle lane. It's as if the middle lane has become the lazy lane where apparently you just do whatever and don't have to pay attention to people around you. So then all these cars are obviously weaving to get around this one car in the middle.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »

Honest to god, not saying this to back my statement, but I move over.  I move the fuck over.  I don't care if I'm doing 95, if someone wants to go faster, it's not my place to tell them no.  Who's to say there isn't someone in the back seat having a heart attack?   I move over.   

Hey I'm with you about not traveling in the fast lane.I just get incensed when I get into the fast lane and then some jamoke rides my Ralston when I'm trying to pass someone to get into the slower lane.

Sometimes it takes a little bit.  About the high beams, I don't do it much.  Only when a person is extremely slow in the passing lane.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
The signature move in Fort Wayne though, is to pull out in front of someone and then drive at least 5 mph below the speed limit.  This happens in two primary ways: the first is to make the right hand turn into oncoming traffic and slow them way down, the other is to make the right hand turn in front of oncoming traffic making the left hand turn on to the same road. Bonus points if you make the wide right hand turn into the left hand lane.   This usually causes me to shout profanities in such combinations that would make a New Yorker stand up and take notice.
The nice thing about being a highly aggressive driver is that I'm aware of what everybody else is doing. I'll pull out in front of people all the time, but I'll be going faster than them almost immediately. I'm a big fan of courtesy and not being in people's way is something I've always striven for in life.

One of my pet peeves - USE THE ZIPPER METHOD!
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/07/the-beauty-of-zipper-merging-or-why-you-should-drive-ruder/
In Oklahoma that's actually the law. You'll start seeing sings Merge in two miles, merge in 1 mile, Merge in 1000 ft, MERGE RIGHT FUCKING HERE! and the pylons close the lane off over about 20' or so. Damned effective and it removes attitude from the equation.

Also, I believe there were some other studies that suggested it actually makes no difference when people merge. Seems real world drivers aren't as orderly and as attentive as their computer simulated counterparts.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 06:15:05 AM »
I'm a big fan of courtesy and not being in people's way is something I've always striven for in life.

That's pretty much my mantra as well.   On the road, in line at McDonald's, wherever.   I never want to be "that guy".  As in "That guy was in line for 10 minutes; he couldn't decide what he wanted before he got to the cash register??" Or... "what the fuck is that guy doing holding up that line of traffic?"    Or... "where does that guy thing he is, strolling down the side walk like it's a walk in the park.  Get out of the way!" Or...  "what did that guy eat for dinner last night?  Courtesy flush would work wonders right about now!"

80% of the time, all it takes is taking your face out of your phone, and turning your head to look behind you.  Seriously.  Just turn your head and look around you once in a blue moon.  Maybe it'll dawn on you that there are OTHER PEOPLE on the planet besides YOU.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 06:23:18 AM »
I'm a big fan of courtesy and not being in people's way is something I've always striven for in life.

I never want to be "that guy". 

Same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:08 AM »
The nice thing about being a highly aggressive driver is that I'm aware of what everybody else is doing. I'll pull out in front of people all the time, but I'll be going faster than them almost immediately. I'm a big fan of courtesy and not being in people's way is something I've always striven for in life.

As an aggressive driver myself, I try to be hyper aware of what others are doing on the road.  I usually try to approach it like the chase scene in Batman Begins, where the Batmobile finds a way through the slower moving traffic.  In Fort Wayne, the thing that is the most infuriating about the right hand turn right in front of you is that 90% of the time, there is no traffic behind me.  It amazes me how someone can be in such a hurry to get into the lane, but then not drive with the same intensity that they had when they made that move to begin with.  It's like they were in a hurry to slow me down.
 :facepalm: :censored
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »

That's pretty much my mantra as well.   On the road, in line at McDonald's, wherever.   I never want to be "that guy".  As in "That guy was in line for 10 minutes; he couldn't decide what he wanted before he got to the cash register??" Or... "what the fuck is that guy doing holding up that line of traffic?"    Or... "where does that guy thing he is, strolling down the side walk like it's a walk in the park.  Get out of the way!" Or...  "what did that guy eat for dinner last night?  Courtesy flush would work wonders right about now!"

80% of the time, all it takes is taking your face out of your phone, and turning your head to look behind you.  Seriously.  Just turn your head and look around you once in a blue moon.  Maybe it'll dawn on you that there are OTHER PEOPLE on the planet besides YOU.

I call this self awareness and I am very attentive to it as well so I am not "that guy"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »

I think it goes much deeper than that. It's about possessing the attitude that you want to be aware of others. Cellphone usage is a symptom of a greater problem. When you break it down you find that there are a ton of people that see driving as a necessary drudgery. There are others that put more thought into their driving. The former are the Sybil Fawlty's of the world. "Oh, I know. I know." Babbling on about inane bullshit is the only way to make driving tolerable. They're the ones not paying attention. But even when they're not yammering away, they're not attentive. Their mind is elsewhere.

One situation demonstrates the difference to me perfectly, on a near daily basis. On my way home there's a turnout from a grocery story 20' or so from a stoplight. The unspoken rule is that one person gets to turn out every light cycle. I've been on both sides of this countless times since I occasionally shop at that store. If I'm on the road, I give the person pulling out about 1 second to get moving. If he's not even looking in my direction fuck him. When the light changes I will be looking at him and it'll be pretty clear I want him to go. If he's confused, fuck him. It tends to go about 50/50. Ideally I shouldn't even have to look at him, but that's expecting too much. When I'm the one pulling out what I've noticed is that about 75% of the drivers (and there is a gender distinction here, BTW) understand how this should work. The number of people who deliberately refuse to let me in are statistically meaningless. However, there are plenty of drivers who are just completely unaware that somebody's looking to pull out. They're not necessarily yammering on their phones, they're just not really focusing on others around them. In fact, in that case if they are on their phones there's no problem because I'm just going to pull out before they've even noticed the light is green. Mostly they're just mindless drones moving from one light to the next, oblivious to the world around them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2017, 10:51:58 PM »
My ire is well-documented.   I cannot STAND assholes in the left lane that think it's either a) their right to sit in the left lane and hold up traffic, or b) their obligation to control others from their due path on the highway.   MOVE TO THE RIGHT IF YOU'RE NOT THE FASTEST CAR ON THAT STRETCH OF ROAD.

I end up doing over 50% of my driving in the right hand lane, because everyone is clogged over in the left hand lane following some a-hole who's head is up their ass.  It's usually fine, but on the odd occasion you get the person doing barely 60 and, well, they're in the correct lane so it's up to me to move around THEM. 

The absolute worst is when you show respect, you don't tailgate, but you flick the lights - recognized around the world as the friendly, polite signal that "I would like to pass; please move over" and they brake check you and/or flip the bird and/or just ignore you until they're good and ready to move (usually just to get off the exit).

In Fort Wayne, the left lane thing is so common there's even a band in town called Left Lane Cruiser.  The other joke is "Indiana is so conservative, you even have to pass to the right."  At the same time, people love to pass on the right here.  If I'm in the middle lane on I-69, and there's someone coming up behind me in my lane, 9 times out of 10, if both the left and right lanes are open, they will choose the right lane.  I've lived here 6 years now, and it still just boggles my mind.  Fort Wayne also has a very public chapter of what Neil Peart called "The Anti-Destination League."

Try living in South Bend.  I work with a guy from Ft Wayne and he tell me that drivers are worse in the Bend   :|
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2017, 12:51:00 AM »
Signalling! Don't people learn how to signal when they they're about to turn left or right? And turn your f'ing lights on!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2017, 06:44:48 AM »
Cars with brake lights that do not work. I've seen so many lately I've thought about calling the cops, but not sure if that's just being an asshole.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2017, 06:52:34 AM »
I try to get a hold of the person in the car to let them know their brake lights are not working.  No one ever knows they are not working or one is out.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 07:20:45 AM »
Cars with brake lights that do not work. I've seen so many lately I've thought about calling the cops, but not sure if that's just being an asshole.

I was behind someone once and almost called the cops. I think it was done purposely to cause an accident and get money.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 07:28:34 AM »

I was behind someone once and almost called the cops. I think it was done purposely to cause an accident and get money.

I wish there was an alarm inside the car that went off every ten seconds if you have a brake light out, just like the one that goes off if you don't wear a seat belt. People would get those fixed real quick.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2017, 08:43:48 AM »
I actually love driving as long as the traffic is clear, blast some music and I can drive for a few hours easily.  I hate it when people drive slow for no obvious reason and have a big gap in front of them.  I also hate it when my timing of the lights is wrong and hit almost every red light. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 11:32:07 AM »
#1 People that don't use the turn signals, you know who you are.

#2 People that tailgate even though it's very clear I can't turn to the right because of traffic, I won't speed up more just because you're in a hurry because i'm already way over speedlimit. Once it's clear, I will turn. Where I drive we mostly have two line highways just to be clear.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:01:54 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »
I've been told that I should be careful when I brake-check people who tailgate me but damn it pisses me right off. Tailgating me, when I'm going the speed limit or at least 5 over, doesn't get you there any fucking faster.